F30 328i pricing - how does it compare historically?

by Bimmerfest.com Member - tturedraider on October 2, 2012, 12:51 am
As some of you know every so often I get curious to compare BMW's pricing today as compared to model years gone by.

Here's a comparison of a 2013 328i with ZPP/Premium package, ZSP/Sport package - aka Sport line, ZCW/Cold Weather package, HK stereo, BMW Assist/Enhanced Bluetooth, and xenon headlights with models equally equipped from model years 2009, 2008, and 2004.

2013 F30 MSRP - $46,920
2009 E90 MSRP - $48,940 in 2012 dollars, $45,575 at the time
2008 E90 MSRP - $47,745 in 2012 dollars, $44,620 at the time
2004 E46 MSRP - $47,875 in 2012 dollars, $39,255 at the time, this model lacked many of the technological and safety advancements that came with the E90 models.

In 2009 dollars today's F30 328i would be priced at $43,695, in 2008 dollars at $43,850 and in 2004 dollars at $38,470.

As is typical BMW's pricing has remained remarkably steady through the years. Most of the increase in cost for the F30 comes from new features that didn't exist previously. It's worth noting that the F30 comes standard with iDrive and I did not include iDrive/Navigation on the comparison models. The F30 also has knee airbags standard, which were not available on the comparison models.

Leave a Comment

You must be a registered member to comment on stories. Please take a moment to register for your free account now. If you already have an account, log in using fields below.

35 responses to F30 328i pricing - how does it compare historically?

Jon Shafer commented:
October 2, 2012, 12:54 am

Interesting analysis..

tturedraider commented:
October 2, 2012, 12:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Shafer View Post
Interesting analysis..

Thanks. You provided the source material.
SD330i commented:
October 2, 2012, 1:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
As some of you know every so often I get curious to compare BMW's pricing today as compared to model years gone by.

Here's a comparison of a 2013 328i with ZPP/Premium package, ZSP/Sport package - aka Sport line, ZCW/Cold Weather package, HK stereo, BMW Assist/Enhanced Bluetooth, and xenon headlights with models equally equipped from model years 2009, 2008, and 2004.

2013 F30 MSRP - $46,920
2004 E46 MSRP - $47,875 in 2012 dollars, $39,255 at the time, this model lacked many of the technological and safety advancements that came with the E90 models.

In 2009 dollars today's F30 328i would be priced at $43,695, in 2008 dollars at $43,850 and in 2004 dollars at $38,470.

As is typical BMW's pricing has remained remarkably steady through the years. Most of the increase in cost for the F30 comes from new features that didn't exist previously. It's worth noting that the F30 comes standard with iDrive and I did not include iDrive/Navigation on the comparison models. The F30 also has knee airbags standard, which were not available on the comparison models.
Great Selling Piece for all the so called car experts , and critics who are always bashing BMW products , and saying they are so overpricec !! Have you done that with the 335i too?
tturedraider commented:
October 2, 2012, 1:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD330i View Post
Great Selling Piece for all the so called car experts , and critics who are always bashing BMW products , and saying they are so overpricec !! Have you done that with the 335i too?
I'm always amused and amazed at the amount of teeth gnashing that goes on when a new model comes out. There will be folks here shortly who will say this is irrelevant because a Kia Optima has all this stuff standard that you have to pay for with BMW. And I'll say BMW doesn't compete with the Kia Optima, they compete with the Merc C Class and the Audi A4 and their pricing structures are basically the same and BMW continues to do quite well selling at a premium over Merc and Audi.

I've done several 335i comparisons in the E9x forum, not for the F30, mostly because they yield very similar results. My curiosity will probably get the better of me and I'll do one shortly.
SD330i commented:
October 2, 2012, 1:40 am

Quote:
I'm always amused and amazed at the amount of teeth gnashing that goes on when a new model comes out.

I've done several 335i comparisons in the E9x forum, not for the F30, mostly because they yield very similar results. My curiosity will probably get the better of me and I'll do one shortly.

It will be interesting to see it. This will be our Third 3 Series in 6 Years. 2006 330i, then in 2009 a 335i , and now the F30 335i. Each one has gotten better , with more bells an Whistles and it seems they really were not much more expenisive over the last 6 years. Keep up the interesting comparisons. As they say , If you do not study History, you are doomed to repeat it. Your research makes the new 2013 a good value.
enigma commented:
October 2, 2012, 2:22 am

Quote:
I'm always amused and amazed at the amount of teeth gnashing that goes on when a new model comes out. There will be folks here shortly who will say this is irrelevant because a Kia Optima has all this stuff standard that you have to pay for with BMW. And I'll say BMW doesn't compete with the Kia Optima, they compete with the Merc C Class and the Audi A4 and their pricing structures are basically the same and BMW continues to do quite well selling at a premium over Merc and Audi.

I agree with this assessment, not the historical inflation-adjusted comparison in the OP. Mass produced products in general tend to go up in features while maintaining or dropping in price (and of course there are exceptions to everything).

So, in the context of comparing the 3er to the C Klasse or the A4, BMW used to be price competitive. Now, it is the most expensive of the bunch. I am not saying it's not worth the asking price, but it surely isn't the bargain it once used to be (performance-adjusted).
windsor027 commented:
October 2, 2012, 8:51 am

Quote:

2013 F30 MSRP - $46,920

This is one of the most informative posts for the unaware out there. people don't understand how inflation plays havoc with pricing for many manufactures. And don't get me started on the fact that the inflation data our government gives out is actually much lower than they should be. BMW has done a fantastic job keeping the price down and offering a wealth of technological and safety features compared to 10 years ago.
Michael Schott commented:
October 2, 2012, 8:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
I agree with this assessment, not the historical inflation-adjusted comparison in the OP. Mass produced products in general tend to go up in features while maintaining or dropping in price (and of course there are exceptions to everything).

So, in the context of comparing the 3er to the C Klasse or the A4, BMW used to be price competitive. Now, it is the most expensive of the bunch. I am not saying it's not worth the asking price, but it surely isn't the bargain it once used to be (performance-adjusted).
The F30 is the only car in it's class to have been completely reworked. The A4 and C class are due for this soon. A price comparison at that time will be more equitable.
tturedraider commented:
October 2, 2012, 2:11 pm

Quote:

2013 C250 Sport - $48,705, 2013 328i Sport line - $51,320, a difference of $2,615. Both equivalently loaded, with the exception of blind spot detection and active cruise control, which I left off because of the different ways they package them and because I care nothing about them.

C250 Sport - 1.8 liter turbo four, 201 hp/229 lb-ft tq @ 2200 rpms, 7 speed automatic (personal editorial comment - that doesn't like to shift); 328i Sport line - 2.0 liter twin scroll turbo, 240 hp/255 lb-ft tq from 1250 - 4800 rpms, 8 speed automatic.

C250 Sport - 11.6 inch brake disks up front and a 53/47 percent front to rear weight distribution; 328i Sport line - 12.3 inch brake discs up front and a 50/50 percent front to rear weight distribution. (both have 11.8 inch rear brake disks.)

For that difference which would you choose?

edit: similarly equipped C350 with sport package and 335i Sport line - $52,255 v $55,020, difference of $2,765.
mdsbuc commented:
October 2, 2012, 3:04 pm

Quote:
2013 C250 Sport - $48,705, 2013 328i Sport line - $51,320, a difference of $2,615. Both equivalently loaded, with the exception of blind spot detection and active cruise control, which I left off be cause of the different ways they package them and because I care nothing about them.

C250 Sport - 1.8 liter turbo four, 201 hp/229 lb-ft tq @ 2200 rpms, 7 speed automatic (personal editorial comment - that doesn't like to shift); 328i Sport line - 2.0 liter twin scroll turbo, 240 hp/255 lb-ft tq from 1250 - 4800 rpms, 8 speed automatic.

C250 Sport - 11.6 inch brake disks up front and a 53/47 percent front to rear weight distribution; 328i Sport line - 12.3 inch brake discs up front and a 50/50 percent front to rear weight distribution. (both have 11.8 inch rear brake disks.)

edit: similarly equipped C350 with sport package and 335i Sport line - $52,255 v $55,020, difference of $2,765.
The bimmer, of course! And, I don't think you've included the fact that BMW offers the included 4yr/50,000 miles of "free" maintenance.

brkf commented:
October 2, 2012, 3:23 pm

In my analysis, my F30 feature-for-feature and by performance was a helluva a deal compared to my e46 ZHP and e90 330i. Pretty much the pricing is holding the line.
enigma commented:
October 2, 2012, 6:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
The F30 is the only car in it's class to have been completely reworked. The A4 and C class are due for this soon. A price comparison at that time will be more equitable.
A fair point. I could be very much wrong, but I highly doubt either the C or the A4/S4 will be priced higher than the 3 though.

Quote:
2013 C250 Sport - $48,705, 2013 328i Sport line - $51,320, a difference of $2,615. Both equivalently loaded, with the exception of blind spot detection and active cruise control, which I left off because of the different ways they package them and because I care nothing about them.

I didn't say I am choosing the C. My point was that the 3er used to be cheaper *and* had better performance. Not any more.

By the way, the S4 to the 335i/is comparison makes the choice a lot more difficult as there isn't a clear performance advantage (but to be fair, there isn't much price difference between the two either).
tsoc88 commented:
October 2, 2012, 9:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post
In my analysis, my F30 feature-for-feature and by performance was a helluva a deal compared to my e46 ZHP and e90 330i. Pretty much the pricing is holding the line.
Totally agree with you and I own an F30.
However, regardless of pricing comparisons, based on just released Sept 2012 sales, F30 is not moving off the lot. Pricing? Style? Who knows, but BMW seems to have a problem. Last month we blamed it on short supply of XDrive. If they are short in Sept for New England buyers then BMW has a more serious challenge.
tturedraider commented:
October 2, 2012, 9:59 pm

Quote:

I didn't say I am choosing the C. My point was that the 3er used to be cheaper *and* had better performance. Not any more.
?? When has that been the case? I've only been comparing new 3er prices since the summer of 2005, right after the introduction of the E90 and to my recollection the price differential between the C Class and the A4 has remained pretty consistent, with the 3er always having a higher price.

Personally, I don't consider the 3er and the A4 to be really direct competitors, because the RWD 3er always outperforms the FWD A4 and the A4 Quattro is definitely a more performance oriented AWD than the 3er xDrive. Sporty AWD/Quattro is Audi's specialty. BMW's view of xDrive is much more utilitarian. I would tell a person who was absolutely set on AWD but wanted maximum performance that the Audi A4 Quattro would almost certainly be the better choice for him or her.
tturedraider commented:
October 3, 2012, 1:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsoc88 View Post
Totally agree with you and I own an F30.
However, regardless of pricing comparisons, based on just released Sept 2012 sales, F30 is not moving off the lot. Pricing? Style? Who knows, but BMW seems to have a problem. Last month we blamed it on short supply of XDrive. If they are short in Sept for New England buyers then BMW has a more serious challenge.
I was just looking at the numbers. The X3 might be a good example of what could be the case for the F30. At this time last year the new X3 had been on the market for roughly the same period of time the F30 3er has been on the market today. Now, a year later, X3 sales are up 64% year over year. I don't know what the sales numbers looked like for the E90 at this point after it first went on sale, but my impression is that F30 sales are just now beginning a steady ramp up. Remember it is very likely that 3er coupe sales have begun to sag significantly since the introduction of the F30. Basically all the current buyers of the E92/93 are those who are willing to buy a "lame duck" car, knowing the new model is around the corner. xDrive F30s are just beginning to hit dealerships in any significant volume and something I've learned since moving to Chicago is in markets like this there are large numbers of buyers who will not even consider a non-AWD car.
enigma commented:
October 3, 2012, 3:16 am

My first brand new BMW was an E46 (which I bought from Jon/Cutter Motors!), and it was definitely the most fun to drive when compared to its competitions and the cheapest.

Here's an old article from C&D declaring the E46 the winner: http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...mparison-tests

And here're the prices associated with each model: http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...-warmers-3.pdf

As for the A4 being a competition, I respectfully disagree with you. It's in the same price league with similar performance. The A/S/RS4 has won its share of comparos against the 3er over the years. If it wasn't a natural/direct competitor to the 3er, I can't fathom why so many publications and drivers compare the two time and again.

Quote:
?? When has that been the case? I've only been comparing new 3er prices since the summer of 2005, right after the introduction of the E90 and to my recollection the price differential between the C Class and the A4 has remained pretty consistent, with the 3er always having a higher price.

Personally, I don't consider the 3er and the A4 to be really direct competitors, because the RWD 3er always outperforms the FWD A4 and the A4 Quattro is definitely a more performance oriented AWD than the 3er xDrive. Sporty AWD/Quattro is Audi's specialty. BMW's view of xDrive is much more utilitarian. I would tell a person who was absolutely set on AWD but wanted maximum performance that the Audi A4 Quattro would almost certainly be the better choice for him or her.
dtc100 commented:
October 3, 2012, 12:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Of course the ATS is new from the ground up, but if it costs more than the comparable F30, I doubt most here will consider it reasonably priced.
JoeFromPA commented:
October 3, 2012, 3:16 pm

It's a good comparison. It's interesting to put that against real inflation, dollar de-valuation, and the fact that real income levels have dropped notably over that time (including in the class that makes upthe majority of 3-series purchases).

However, I don't disagree with you either. And it relates across many different manufacturers as well. I'm always amazed at the number of people who won't bat an eye at a neighbor getting a loaded up ford explorer, but will arch an eyebrow at the person who gets the 3-series. Perception of value, I guess.
Chris90 commented:
October 3, 2012, 3:47 pm

Quote:

Do mass produced products get cheaper? Semiconductor-based products do, but thats' just cause of Moore's Law. Anything non-semiconductor based doesn't seem to drop in price.

And when were BMWs ever the bargain in its class?

I remember the same complaints about BMWs being expensive back in 2004.
tturedraider commented:
October 3, 2012, 6:54 pm

Quote:
My first brand new BMW was an E46 (which I bought from Jon/Cutter Motors!), and it was definitely the most fun to drive when compared to its competitions and the cheapest.

Here's an old article from C&D declaring the E46 the winner: http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...mparison-tests

And here're the prices associated with each model: http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...-warmers-3.pdf

As for the A4 being a competition, I respectfully disagree with you. It's in the same price league with similar performance. The A/S/RS4 has won its share of comparos against the 3er over the years. If it wasn't a natural/direct competitor to the 3er, I can't fathom why so many publications and drivers compare the two time and again.
Very interesting.
enigma commented:
October 3, 2012, 7:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
Do mass produced products get cheaper? Semiconductor-based products do, but thats' just cause of Moore's Law. Anything non-semiconductor based doesn't seem to drop in price.

And when were BMWs ever the bargain in its class?

I remember the same complaints about BMWs being expensive back in 2004.
Moore's law applies to silicon density doubling every two years, but it does impact pretty much every mass-produced products like TVs, coffee makers, etc. by enabling better/faster manufacturing.

Inflation-adjusted (as I mentioned), car prices have been very flat the past 3 decades: http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehicles...8_fotw520.html

The import prices have gone up all the way to late 1990's mainly due to explosion of high-end imports, but the price has been steadily coming down ever since.

As for BMW being the bargain in its class, you obviously didn't look at the E46 comparo links I posted earlier. Yes, it was a relative bargain compared to the Lexus, MB and Audi.
Chris90 commented:
October 3, 2012, 8:14 pm

Quote:
As for BMW being the bargain in its class, you obviously didn't look at the E46 comparo links I posted earlier. Yes, it was a relative bargain compared to the Lexus, MB and Audi.
Funny, I remember that article when it was new, and how people complained how ridiculous it was to option up the competitors and use a stripper BMW without leather, sunroof, power seats, even cruise control. Then say it won cause of the low price. People used that article as more evidence that C&D are BMW shills.
SD330i commented:
October 4, 2012, 1:44 am

Quote:
Moore's law applies to silicon density doubling every two years, but it does impact pretty much every mass-produced products like TVs, coffee makers, etc. by enabling better/faster manufacturing.

Inflation-adjusted (as I mentioned), car prices have been very flat the past 3 decades: http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehicles...8_fotw520.html

The import prices have gone up all the way to late 1990's mainly due to explosion of high-end imports, but the price has been steadily coming down ever since.

In 1970, My father bought his first new Porsche . A 1970 911T For $8,600. You could buy a 914-6 for a few hunded less. They could not give them away. 3 years later , he bought 1973 911T for $11,800. Both great Cars. Now you can not touch a well equipped Porsche for under $100,000. I am curious what a Bimmer was selling for in that time period ? I am sure there a few people on this thread who might know. Just thought I would throw that out. Even adjusted for inflation. It seems the Porsche has gone out of reach of the vast majority of buyers, while the BMW is still affordable , especially as a Lesae.
enigma commented:
October 4, 2012, 2:56 am

Quote:
In 1970, My father bought his first new Porsche . A 1970 911T For $8,600. You could buy a 914-6 for a few hunded less. They could not give them away. 3 years later , he bought 1973 911T for $11,800. Both great Cars. Now you can not touch a well equipped Porsche for under $100,000. I am curious what a Bimmer was selling for in that time period ? I am sure there a few people on this thread who might know. Just thought I would throw that out. Even adjusted for inflation. It seems the Porsche has gone out of reach of the vast majority of buyers, while the BMW is still affordable , especially as a Lesae.
Yep, agreed, especially with your last sentence!
bmw_or_audi commented:
October 7, 2012, 6:02 pm

Quote:
Great Selling Piece for all the so called car experts , and critics who are always bashing BMW products , and saying they are so overpricec !!
While the OP's post is indeed interesting, it is completely irrelevant for the very simple reason that this effect applies to all auto brands, and so looking at it for BMW in isolation is meaningless. We have been getting a lot more car for our money in inflation adjusted dollars, and more with some brands than with others, and I wouldn't be surprised if BMW fell in the "others" category.

Just as an example, my 1985 Toyota Crapolla cost $9000 out the door in 1985. That's a little over $19K in 2012 dollars, which could afford me a much bigger Accord, with an extra 100+ Hp, ABS, stability control, traction control, airbags, automatic windows and locks, CD player, and god knows what else.

The only thing that really matters is present price relative to the competition.
tturedraider commented:
October 7, 2012, 6:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_or_audi View Post
While the OP's post is indeed interesting, it is completely irrelevant for the very simple reason that this effect applies to all auto brands, and so looking at it for BMW in isolation is meaningless. We have been getting a lot more car for our money in inflation adjusted dollars, and more with some brands than with others, and I wouldn't be surprised if BMW fell in the "others" category.

Just as an example, my 1985 Toyota Crapolla cost $9000 out the door in 1985. That's a little over $19K in 2012 dollars, which could afford me a much bigger Accord, with an extra 100+ Hp, ABS, stability control, traction control, airbags, automatic windows and locks, CD player, and god knows what else.

The only thing that really matters is present price relative to the competition.
And Toyota and Honda don't make cars that are direct competitors to the 3er. Audi and Mercedes do.
bmw_or_audi commented:
October 7, 2012, 6:54 pm

Quote:
And Toyota and Honda don't make cars that are direct competitors to the 3er. Audi and Mercedes do.
Where did I say they do? I merely gave an example of how much more car you can buy for your money now compared to 25-30 years ago. My point is simply that your observation about BMW pricing extends beyond BMW and is a trend for the entire car industry.
bmw_or_audi commented:
October 7, 2012, 6:55 pm

Quote:
2013 F30 MSRP - $46,920
Even though it has more power, one can be a stickler here and point out we are comparing a 4-cyl with 6-cyl.
tturedraider commented:
October 7, 2012, 7:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_or_audi View Post
Even though it has more power, once can be a stickler here and point out we are comparing a 4-cyl with 6-cyl.
The thread is addressing the very common misperception that occurs here virtually every year that the new model 3er has somehow experienced a dramatic increase in price that is making it no longer competitive in its market segment.
tturedraider commented:
February 5, 2013, 4:00 pm

bumped since there have been several price discussions lately.
mr_clueless commented:
February 5, 2013, 9:18 pm

Sadly, most incomes have not kept up with the rate of inflation which is why the cars now feel more expensive. Many people buy their first bimmer in their 30's as their earning:expense hit a peak. Thereafter earnings go up slightly but expenses increase like crazy (usually just not because of inflation, but other things like a growing family).
krash commented:
February 5, 2013, 9:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post
Absolutely.
krash commented:
February 5, 2013, 9:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post
Sadly, most incomes have not kept up with the rate of inflation which is why the cars now feel more expensive. Many people buy their first bimmer in their 30's as their earning:expense hit a peak. Thereafter earnings go up slightly but expenses increase like crazy (usually just not because of inflation, but other things like a growing family).
Tell me about it. My salary has more than kept up with inflation. The problem I have is 2 kids going to college soon. My daughter is a Sr and she has already committed to an out of state school. $35,000 a year. $140,000 total. I'm paying all that with cash, no loans.

I'm trying to bribe my son to go to a state school instead. If I throw in a brand new Ford Mustang GT, I think he might agree to it. That could save me a ton of $$$$. Maybe like $30,000 / $40,000. But if he doesn't go along with it, that could be another $140,000 for a grand total of $280,000.

And then people ask me, "why didn't you get a 550 instead of a 335?"
BMW220i commented:
February 8, 2013, 11:56 am

Why only report to 2004?

How about the 1980 BMW 320i? U.S. MSRP $11,465 and increased a lot every year resulting in high resale values. The car had a radio pointing up, very strange.
mr_clueless commented:
February 8, 2013, 2:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW220i View Post
Why only report to 2004?

How about the 1980 BMW 320i? U.S. MSRP $11,465 and increased a lot every year resulting in high resale values. The car had a radio pointing up, very strange.
In countries with very high inflation you can usually sell your car for more than you paid for it. Inflation in the early 80's was high...dropped considerably by the mid 80's.