BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

F30 328i pricing - how does it compare historically?

35K views 35 replies 16 participants last post by  mr_clueless 
#1 ·
As some of you know every so often I get curious to compare BMW's pricing today as compared to model years gone by.

Here's a comparison of a 2013 328i with ZPP/Premium package, ZSP/Sport package - aka Sport line, ZCW/Cold Weather package, HK stereo, BMW Assist/Enhanced Bluetooth, and xenon headlights with models equally equipped from model years 2009, 2008, and 2004.

2013 F30 MSRP - $46,920
2009 E90 MSRP - $48,940 in 2012 dollars, $45,575 at the time
2008 E90 MSRP - $47,745 in 2012 dollars, $44,620 at the time
2004 E46 MSRP - $47,875 in 2012 dollars, $39,255 at the time, this model lacked many of the technological and safety advancements that came with the E90 models.

In 2009 dollars today's F30 328i would be priced at $43,695, in 2008 dollars at $43,850 and in 2004 dollars at $38,470.

As is typical BMW's pricing has remained remarkably steady through the years. Most of the increase in cost for the F30 comes from new features that didn't exist previously. It's worth noting that the F30 comes standard with iDrive and I did not include iDrive/Navigation on the comparison models. The F30 also has knee airbags standard, which were not available on the comparison models.

See less See more
#4 ·
Great Selling Piece for all the so called car experts , and critics who are always bashing BMW products , and saying they are so overpricec !!:thumbup: Have you done that with the 335i too?

#5 · (Edited)
I'm always amused and amazed at the amount of teeth gnashing that goes on when a new model comes out. There will be folks here shortly who will say this is irrelevant because a Kia Optima has all this stuff standard that you have to pay for with BMW. And I'll say BMW doesn't compete with the Kia Optima, they compete with the Merc C Class and the Audi A4 and their pricing structures are basically the same and BMW continues to do quite well selling at a premium over Merc and Audi. :)

I've done several 335i comparisons in the E9x forum, not for the F30, mostly because they yield very similar results. My curiosity will probably get the better of me and I'll do one shortly.

#8 ·
This is one of the most informative posts for the unaware out there. people don't understand how inflation plays havoc with pricing for many manufactures. And don't get me started on the fact that the inflation data our government gives out is actually much lower than they should be. BMW has done a fantastic job keeping the price down and offering a wealth of technological and safety features compared to 10 years ago.

#14 ·
Totally agree with you and I own an F30.
However, regardless of pricing comparisons, based on just released Sept 2012 sales, F30 is not moving off the lot. Pricing? Style? Who knows, but BMW seems to have a problem. Last month we blamed it on short supply of XDrive. If they are short in Sept for New England buyers then BMW has a more serious challenge.

#19 ·
It's a good comparison. It's interesting to put that against real inflation, dollar de-valuation, and the fact that real income levels have dropped notably over that time (including in the class that makes upthe majority of 3-series purchases).

However, I don't disagree with you either. And it relates across many different manufacturers as well. I'm always amazed at the number of people who won't bat an eye at a neighbor getting a loaded up ford explorer, but will arch an eyebrow at the person who gets the 3-series. Perception of value, I guess.

#30 ·
Even though it has more power, once can be a stickler here and point out we are comparing a 4-cyl with 6-cyl.
The thread is addressing the very common misperception that occurs here virtually every year that the new model 3er has somehow experienced a dramatic increase in price that is making it no longer competitive in its market segment.

#32 ·
Sadly, most incomes have not kept up with the rate of inflation which is why the cars now feel more expensive. Many people buy their first bimmer in their 30's as their earning:expense hit a peak. Thereafter earnings go up slightly but expenses increase like crazy (usually just not because of inflation, but other things like a growing family).

#34 · (Edited)
Tell me about it. My salary has more than kept up with inflation. The problem I have is 2 kids going to college soon. My daughter is a Sr and she has already committed to an out of state school. $35,000 a year. $140,000 total. I'm paying all that with cash, no loans.

I'm trying to bribe my son to go to a state school instead. If I throw in a brand new Ford Mustang GT, I think he might agree to it. That could save me a ton of $$$$. Maybe like $30,000 / $40,000. But if he doesn't go along with it, that could be another $140,000 for a grand total of $280,000.

And then people ask me, "why didn't you get a 550 instead of a 335?"
:rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.