BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Is the new 3 series is losing US market share?

106K views 343 replies 46 participants last post by  bmw_or_audi 
#1 ·
According to the Sep. 2012 sales reports: BMW 3 series, Sep 2012 compare to Sep 2011, -16.8% and year to date -3.1%. The MB C class, Sep 2012 compare to Sep 2011, +14.7% and year to date +25.2%. The Audi A4, Sep 2012 compare to Sep 2011, +12.8% and year to date +6.9%.
For a car that is recently redesigned and considering that both the C-class and the A4 is at the end of their design cycles, the new 3 series should be be posting much better sales numbers.

#3 ·
I would say that it looks like there is trouble brewing in River City, especially since I had read another article that said US car sales in September were the best they have been since early '08.

Where did you get the sales breakdown per manufacturer/model?

#5 ·
How can you say "no question"? There are way to many factors to be certain of this. Remember that the E92 and E93 are at the end of their lives and that probably hurts sales. There still seems to be a shortage of F30's as well which hurts. Price may also be a factor but in reality it makes no sense to judge sales of a car when it really hasn't been available as a full line yet. Lets look back on this in a year to have a large enough sample size and enough time to make a proper evaluation.

#7 · (Edited)
#12 · (Edited)
I will withhold judgement until the E9x models have run their course. And if you think about it the E9x was such a high volume car as it was getting ready to be replaced by the F30, so I am not suprised the A4 and the C-class are getting bought up. There are some sweet deals out there for both models.

#17 ·
I currently own a 2012 Audi A4 Prestige S-Line fully loaded that I will be trading in when my 328xDrive arrives. A couple of things to keep in mind. If you look at the A4 sales for last year they where down most of the year and there was no Audi advertising for that model. This year the model has been refreshed and I have noticed a significant increase in the Audi advertising I see on TV and online. I'm sure both of those play into the increase in sales. Also, wasn't the MB C-Class refreshed before the new F30's? If so then they have had more time on the market.

#25 ·
This thread seems similar to another thread we just had. We can probably start these threads using a Mad Libs game:

Well guys it is the month of ________ and the latest 3 series numbers are out.

Looks like this month there was a _______ in sales over last years numbers, things seem like they are going _______ over in Germany.

I bet that the problem is related to _______ and that Audi and Mercedes are really just ______ compared to the 3 series.

I am also pretty sure that the price has had a ________ impact on sales, at least IMHO.

Personally, I really don't see a need to buy an F30 over my _______ but I am coming here to ask your opinion on these _________ sales numbers, even though I will never buy an F30. I am really here because my home forum is a ______ of _______.

P.S. have you guys checked out the latest head to head match up between the F30 and the _______. I know the 3 series won (again) but after dissecting the review, it is pretty clear that BMW is on the _______ and the competition is catching up.

#26 ·
This thread seems similar to another thread we just had. We can probably start these threads using a Mad Libs game:

Well guys it is the month of ________ and the latest 3 series numbers are out.

Looks like this month there was a _______ in sales over last years numbers, things seem like they are going _______ over in Germany.

I bet that the problem is related to _______ and that Audi and Mercedes are really just ______ compared to the 3 series.

I am also pretty sure that the price has had a ________ impact on sales, at least IMHO.

Personally, I really don't see a need to buy an F30 over my _______ but I am coming here to ask your opinion on these _________ sales numbers, even though I will never buy an F30. I am really here because my home forum is a ______ of _______.

P.S. have you guys checked out the latest head to head match up between the F30 and the _______. I know the 3 series won (again) but after dissecting the review, it is pretty clear that BMW is on the _______ and the competition is catching up.
:rofl::thumbup:

#31 ·
I do find it interesting that those who are taking issue with this are E90 owners, or other previous generation owners. Over the next 7 years(the F30 lifecycle) it will outsell all other cars in it's class.

#32 ·
Nobody's taking issue, we just find it interesting.

You have a crystal ball or something that predicts car sales?

#48 ·
Chris90 said:
The local dealer has 18 2013 328Xi's on the lot. If the problem is really pent up demand of customers sitting around for months itching to buy a 328Xi, why so many cars sitting there?
Can't answer specifically, but the Lines make it a challenge for inventory management.

If those 18 cars are No-Line, Modern, or Sport, I'm not buying. Used to be that you wanted a Grey 328i and they'd show you 4 of them with varying options and usually you could come pretty close to save 10 weeks of delivery time. But varying trim levels, different story.

BJ

#51 · (Edited)
The numbers are what the numbers are. BMW 3 Series sales were down in a month where overall car sales were up. The question is whether this is an anomaly or is it the beginning of a long term trend. There is also the possibility that the previous period had unusually high sales figures and the figures we are seeing now are relatively normal. Unless you are looking at relatively long term data these figures don't really tell you much.

My gut feeling is that except for the possibility of sticker shock (and tturedraider had a thread that showed that 3 Series price has stayed constant when you adjust for inflation, and BJ is paying less for his lease on a more expensive car), whatever the perceived deficiencies in the F30 are relative to the E90 would probably not concern the majority of the buyers.

IMO, roundel or not, BMW would loose customers if the general public perceived that the quality of the new model was significantly reduced but that does not seem to be the case.

CA

#67 ·
In my opinion, the biggest issue with the 3-series is lack of prestige/status. In the past, the luxury car buyer would buy the 3-series for some sort "status" effect in addition to sport.

Now, the 3-series is too common to get much prestige and is associated as more of a fresh grad car. But with the F30, its no longer priced as a "fresh grad" car.

#69 ·
Blame the sales downturn on the Jersey Shore cast members who drive 3 Series BMWs. Nobody wants to be associated with those characters.

#77 ·
There are more factors that many are not considering. The competition, not just Audi or Mercedes but Toyota, Honda, Nissan,etc have better cars that are just as capable and have standard equipment that BMW considers options. options such as heated seats, ALARM, and Bluetooth streaming. I understand this is not a budget car but many co workers prefer to buy cheap car who have those luxury options vice BMWs. the other brands are offering a better value and equal driving experience.

#84 ·
I think as long as BMW continues to call the 3 series the ultimate driving machine, it is fair to argue whether the new 3 has lost some driving dynamics or not, or whether the competitions have matched or passed it in driving dynamics.

As soon as BMW starts to call the 3 series the ultimate luxury machine, BJ you can petition to have these discussions banned.

#87 ·
To the average 3 Series owner "driving" is defined as "getting back to forth from work, taking the kids to school, taking a weekend trip". To the average 3 Series owner "driving" is not defined as "drive aggressively on public streets to get a 10 second thrill on a windy back road".

I don't want to have these discussions censored, ultimately that's what we're here for. It's a discussion forum, not a fanclub. Just seems that every week another thread is started as one thing disguised as another. "Cadillac ATS" and "This Month's Sales Results" become code for yet another "The F30 Is Too Big, Make An E46, You Suck BMW" thread. E90 and E46 owners attack the F30, F30 owners defend the F30, everyone gets upset, not really necessary to replay that 52 times a year as it's not going to change anything.

Go to the E90 forum and create a thread called "The F30 Sucks, So What's Our Next Move After Our E90's Have To Go?" and all we F30 owners will race over there and contribute so you get some adult feedback amidst the high school rhetoric. That work for you?

BJ

#88 ·
While looking for the answer to your question, I came across this thread from May 2006 with E46 owners giving their first impressions on the E90. Might as well have been a thread from yesterday on the E90 vs. F30. An example:

Hi, all,

It's been some time since I last posted, but the ongoing E90 better/worse than E46 debate really captures my fancy.

Drawbacks of the new models are, however, too many for it to make it an unqualified success. Please bear with me if this sounds repetitious either because earlier posters have already brought them up or because I've posted these opinions before:

a) Dash is plain ugly. This could be subjective, but I still do not warm to the plank straight, minimalist look of the new design w/o i-Drive, while the twin cowl version with i-Drive is shades worse.

b) Unergonomic details - stop/start button with cartridge key, electronic turn signals, obscured cruise control, fiddly i-Drive, rear seat that has less headroom and outer edges that are so uncomfortably hard that the added width and leg/knee room are wasted, boot access still as bad as ever, particularly so if the optional computer tray is ordered.

c) Not driver/passenger focused - no temperature gauge but a pointmess vacuum gauge, no dipstick, poor ergonomics (as above), flimsy cup holders, courtesy light goes out the minute you slip the cartridge key into its slot so you cannot belt up and do any adjustments while there is light.

d) Deterioration of cabin plastic quality - door trims feel especially hard after the E46.

e) Styling not to everyone's taste - to me the E90 has presence only because it is UGLY!

f) The car feels limp and flaccid in tight, urban situations, unlike the E46, which was more easily manoeuvred and did not feel at all out of its depth on backroad blasts.

Compared to the E90, the E46 may be more cramped in the back, less refined on the move and not as sharp in handling, but for me (and I guess many on this forum), a much better balance of qualities and attributes.

I suspect that the E90 sells more on its image and brand desirability than on pure merit/talent, even though it is hardly the class dunce. Some would say this was already so of the E46, but at least the old model was not so compromised and diluted to appeal to the masses. It appealed to those who put driving pleasure ahead of all other considerations and could deliver without adopting useless gimmicks.

Colin
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149364

BJ

#90 ·
BJ your fatal mistake is, you think these threads are attack of E90 drivers against F30, when in fact for the most part, they are discussions about F30 against its competitors, not E90.

You hold on to this straw dog that for the most part does not exist. The recent sales reports do not have the E90 in them, the comparison tests by various mags also did not look at E90.

You need to understand BMW drivers are not two year olds, just because you don't like the discussions, does not mean people will start to discuss the F30 in the E90 forums.

#94 · (Edited)
The above sources indicated in 2005 during the E90 launch, except the first month or two (when the E46 and E90 were sold together), the 3 series was up by 20% to 54%.

In the same period this year during the F30 launch, other than the first few months (when E90 and F30 were sold together) up by 14%, it flattened out in June, and has been down in the recent months.

Can we draw any conclusions? Not really, we don't know if 2004 was a particularly good year or bad year, we also know 2011 was a very good year for the E90 in its final MY sales.

We do know the competition is much more fierce now than 2005.

#97 ·
How is the competition more fierce now than then? That's a total fabrication. The 3 series, A4 and C series were positioned just as they were back then. In fact in 2002 when I leased an A4 I really wanted a 3 series but the Audi lease at that time worked out better for me. Now we have the ATS but it's effect on 3 series sales has not yet been felt.

#98 · (Edited)
How many A4s, Cs and Gs did they sell compared to 3 back in 2002 or 2005?

If I am in the market today, there is no way I can justify the F30 328i lease over the G37 lease to the SO, when comparable G37 is easily $150/mo. less. In fact last year, after trying for a few months, I could not convince the SO to accept an X3 over an GLK, because the payment was about $150/mo. higher.

For an extra $150, the car better have something very special more than the badge within this segment.

#100 · (Edited)
How many A4s, Cs and Gs did they sell compared to 3 back in 2002 or 2005?

If I am in the market today, there is no way I can justify the F30 328i lease over the G37 lease to the SO, when comparable G37 is easily $150/mo. less. In fact last year, after trying for a few months, I could not convince the SO to accept an X3 over an GLK, because the payment was about $150/mo. higher.

For an extra $150, the car better have something very special more than the badge in this segment.
I pay $160 a month to the guy who cuts my lawn. No way anyone is putting themselves in a step-down semi-luxury car like an Infiniti for a measly $150.

The proper way to look at this is that a $500 a month lease is the expectation for a luxury car in this segment. Any brand offering something similar for $350 isn't offering a true luxury car. Acura, Infiniti, Cadillac, not in the same league as a BMW, silly to keep bringing them up.

BJ

#106 ·
I think there are a lot of factors at play:
- competition
- pricing
- gloom and doom talk about the economy
- housing downturn (people who might have stretched for a premium vehicle won't now)

For me I still love my E90 and am awaiting the new 1 or 2 series offering since I want something smaller. If I had to buy today it would probably be an A3.

#112 ·
The F30 is clearly the most fun to drive in the category. My ranking:
G37
A4
C
But it should not be counted in the luxury category since the interior is really cheap looking (even with the luxury line trim).

From a fun to drive aspect, the F30 was the only car that instantly brought a smile. The g37 is almost as good but too much road/engine noise inside and that would bother me after awhile.

#113 ·
This was the exact same assessment I made back in 2010. Earlier this year I drove several F30's. I agree the new 3 is still ahead, but has become softer.

Now I had driven an ATS, I can say it is more fun than F30. The ATS has several misses of its own, so I say they both are equal, and above the rest.

#117 · (Edited)
Based on the numbers posted by X Men it appears that for the time peiods cited the market grew slightly and the 3 Series lost sales and market share to Audi and Mercedes who both showed significant gains while Infiniti was relatively stagnant, and in fact was down slightly,

#119 ·
Based on the numbers posted by X Men it appears that for the time peiods cited the market grew slightly and the 3 Series lost sales and market share to Audi and Mercedes who both showed significan gains while Infiniti was relatively stagnant, and in fact was down slightly,
captainaudio, thanks for posting those charts, a picture is worth a thousand words. If we took the Infiniti G out of the equation, it sure looks like what the 3 series lost in market share was gained by the C class and the A4.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.