BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Is the new 3 series is losing US market share?

106K views 343 replies 46 participants last post by  bmw_or_audi 
#1 ·
According to the Sep. 2012 sales reports: BMW 3 series, Sep 2012 compare to Sep 2011, -16.8% and year to date -3.1%. The MB C class, Sep 2012 compare to Sep 2011, +14.7% and year to date +25.2%. The Audi A4, Sep 2012 compare to Sep 2011, +12.8% and year to date +6.9%.
For a car that is recently redesigned and considering that both the C-class and the A4 is at the end of their design cycles, the new 3 series should be be posting much better sales numbers.

#294 · (Edited)
The Audi pre-paid maintenance does NOT include parts other than oil, oil filter,etc. so as the car gets older and parts wear out like brakes you are stuck with the bill. The Audi MMI System is quite inferior to the iDrive system.

#297 ·
The world wide numbers came out today for BMW, including the F30 3 series -

"The BMW 3 Series achieved sales of 39,302 vehicles last month (prev. yr. 35,842/ +9.7%)"

More details - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=650802

The way I read that is that sales in the US might be down for reasons I'm sure have been discussed in the thread already but that overall BMW F30 sales are up.

Tim

#298 ·
I can easily see the F30 selling well in places like China, where status, luxury and comfort are very important attributes. Since China is now the largest market, I see automakers cater to their taste more, and may not pay as much attention to the US market as in the past.

#299 ·
As someone who frequently travels to and does business in China I agree. I wonder if a cigarette lighter is standard there as our tobacco industry does a great job exporting cigarettes to China.

#307 ·
In terms of economic growth, I dont think anybody can compete with China.

I read today that Japanese car sales is down almost 50% in China and things will likely get worst for the Japanese auto makers. I am not picking sides here but it seems to me the Japanese have a lot more to lose in this island dispute than the Chinese does.
If the natural gas and oil reserves are hundreds of billions of dollars worth, Japan would have to lose a lot of business in China to make up for it.

Not to mention that giving up those islands to China is sending a signal to China that they can continue to push on other things, like Taiwan without protest from Japan or their proxy, the US.

#314 ·
If the natural gas and oil reserves are hundreds of billions of dollars worth, Japan would have to lose a lot of business in China to make up for it.

Not to mention that giving up those islands to China is sending a signal to China that they can continue to push on other things, like Taiwan without protest from Japan or their proxy, the US.
I think Japan is really in a tough position. Before the Fukushima accident, Japan was the world's third biggest user of nuclear power, they had planned to increase nuclear's share of the energy mix to 50% by 2030. As a result of the Fukushima accident, Japan has recently announced plans to end its reliance on nuclear power within 30 years. This signals a major shift in how the country will get its power source from. Japan's need for oil and natural gas will increase due to its shift from nuclear power generation. Either way, this will be a lose lose situation for Japan.

#309 ·
I had noticed I don't see many F30's and when I asked my local dealer a few months ago they made a VERY good point ... they were't ordering as many of them until the Xdrive came out.

Now that the xdrive is available i am betting you will see a lot more of them on the road especially here in the Northeast.

#339 ·
I've been to Hong Kong and Shenzhen once a year for 15 years and my biggest issue is avoiding the karaoke clubs and massage facilities. I just can't say 'no' at the fruit plate and the US dollar just goes too far.

BJ
I was there for a few weeks. Every woman, beautiful or now was built like a 12 year old boy lol.

I have a unique job as Industial Designer, sometimes I am at an nice office complex working with their engineers, but much of the time I am in their filthy factories sort of doing QA on the assembly line. Most of my meals were at the factory which looks very much like a concentration camp at lunch time.

#334 · (Edited)
Ha. I have a story from a good friend that went to Taiwan a few times on business that would explain this to a T (girlfriend at the time set limits which he ended up going past because he didn't want to hurt the feelings of the young lady). However, it is not a story that should be shared on a public forum. :)

All I know is I hope BJs actual US Wife (#1) doesn't read his forum posts. LOL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.