The BMW M5 6 Speed Manual - When Truth Crushes Our Enthusiast Souls

by Tim Jones on October 9, 2012, 4:06 pm
BMW M5 6 speed manual driving review

Bimmerfest's very own enthusiast and moderator Emission had a chance to review the 2013 BMW M5 with the standard 7 speed M DCT and the optional 6 speed manual transmission. Emission is an enthusiast at heart with many year of manual transmission driving to his name, this isn't someone who is going to give up on rowing his own gears without a fight. That being said having driven the 2012 M6 convertible with the 7 speed M DCT I know just how good the semi-automatic transmission is. I was rooting for the 6 speed manual transmission on the M5 to come through for the enthusiasts, unfortunately it does not.

Quote:
It didn't take but a few minutes to realize that the manual transmission completely changes the M5 driving experience and not for the better.


Read Emission's complete review of the BMW M5 with the optional 6 speed manual at AutoBlog.

As hard as it is to admit I have to concede that the M5 is a better car with the DCT transmission, but would I buy one with it over the manual? That isn't so easy to say. What transmission would you get in your M5?

Watch a few hot laps of the 2013 at Laguna Seca Race Track


Leave a Comment

You must be a registered member to comment on stories. Please take a moment to register for your free account now. If you already have an account, log in using fields below.










14 responses to The BMW M5 6 Speed Manual - When Truth Crushes Our Enthusiast Souls

Master Dank commented:
October 10, 2012, 2:11 am

I got 6MT, My E92 M3 was DCT... Its not a matter of faster as much what you want to feel...
Video game or real mechanical car... I personally missed the Manual.


If you got the car to drag race.....You started with the wrong chassis. 4,300LB's is pretty heavy..

Aloha
Alex
krispykreme commented:
October 10, 2012, 8:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
BMW M5 6 speed manual driving review

Bimmerfest's very own enthusiast and moderator Emission had a chance to review the 2013 BMW M5 with the standard 7 speed M DCT and the optional 6 speed manual transmission. Emission is an enthusiast at heart with many year of manual transmission driving to his name, this isn't someone who is going to give up on rowing his own gears without a fight. That being said having driven the 2012 M6 convertible with the 7 speed M DCT I know just how good the semi-automatic transmission is. I was rooting for the 6 speed manual transmission on the M5 to come through for the enthusiasts, unfortunately it does not.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WLDDgXuJXg

Read Emission's complete review of the BMW M5 with the optional 6 speed manual at AutoBlog.

As hard as it is to admit I have to concede that the M5 is a better car with the DCT transmission, but would I buy one with it over the manual? That isn't so easy to say. What transmission would you get in your M5?

Watch a few hot laps of the 2013 at Laguna Seca Race Track
I disagree.

I am not sure if you really read thru auto blog review.

The DCT is faster and allows driver to simply just watch out for speed and turns. But that is not what I was looking for.

I like to shift and decide what i wanted to do. Its more engaging drive.

Like masterdank said. If i want a fast track car, M5 wouldn't be on my list. I would take a 991.
FTC commented:
July 19, 2014, 8:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispykreme View Post
I disagree.

I am not sure if you really read thru auto blog review.

The DCT is faster and allows driver to simply just watch out for speed and turns. But that is not what I was looking for.

I like to shift and decide what i wanted to do. Its more engaging drive.

Like masterdank said. If i want a fast track car, M5 wouldn't be on my list. I would take a 991.
I disagree as well. Part of the reason some people complain that the f10 M5 is not engaging like the e39 m5 is because of the Dct. Yes it is fast, yes it is going to produce .5 second faster 0-60 times and .5 second faster quarter mile times, but the bottom line in everyday driving or back road driving the 6 speed manual makes the f10 m5 engaging and fun to drive. Even on the track there is nothing more satisfying than hitting the right gear while braking coming into a turn or up shifting coming out of a turn onto the straights. The biggest problem is that most people that buy a f10 m5 today are 50 fifty years and older and want everything easy and nice and comfortable, in other words "LAZY". The other fact we are finding out is that all these so called "driving enthusiasists" are finding that handling a manual transmission with 600 hp takes a lot more effort and skill than handling a e39 m5 or a e90 m3 with 400 hp. I guess all of a sudden we are not the driving enthusiasists we thought we were.

The bottom line if you want a lighting fast artificial driving experience, buy the Dct. If you want a fast engaging fun driving experience be a real driving enthusiasists and buy the 6 speed manual.

P.S. - anybody can be fast and look good driving a Dct on a track.
FTC commented:
July 19, 2014, 8:56 pm

I guess the new f80 m3 should be purchased with the Dct as well ? 3600 lbs. and only 430 hp, but oh my god we need to buy it in the Dct ? Why ? Because we are lazy ! And most people are not the driving enthusiasists they thought they were. It takes a lot more skill to "drive" 4300 lbs. and 600 hp around a track with a third pedal as opposed to only having two pedals to navigate.

NASCAR drivers are considered the best and most skilled race car drivers in the world, and it's not because they drive tricked out computerized automated F1 transmissions, and that is a fact !
bluejayfan commented:
July 19, 2014, 9:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTC View Post
P.S. - anybody can be fast and look good driving a Dct on a track.
I imagine the last owner of the last buggy whip company...

If you don't like the DCT, drive the manual. If you don't like the manual, drive the DCT. Someone gives their opinion and people... sad.
FTC commented:
July 19, 2014, 9:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjayfan View Post
I imagine the last owner of the last buggy whip company...

If you don't like the DCT, drive the manual. If you don't like the manual, drive the DCT. Someone gives their opinion and people... sad.
I understand what you are saying and I agree. I have driven both and I chose to buy the manual. Yes the Dct is fast, probably the fastest automated manual on the market, but it is artificial and soulless. That is a fact. But then again the demographic of people that buy m5/m6's are different today than back when the e39 m5 was in their prime. The bottom line is this a lot of these so called "driving enthusiasists ", like the writer of this article, are not such great driving enthusiasists when you add 200 hp and 300 lbs. to a m5 with a manual transmissions. Like he said in the article while driving on the track with the 6 speed manual transmission he actually had to work at driving the car as opposed to just pointing the DCT.
bluejayfan commented:
July 19, 2014, 9:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTC View Post
I understand what you are saying and I agree. I have driven both and I chose to buy the manual. Yes the Dct is fast, probably the fastest automated manual on the market, but it is artificial and soulless. That is a fact.
No, that's an opinion, yours. You're free to have it but not everyone is going to agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTC View Post
But then again the demographic of people that buy m5/m6's are different today than back when the e39 m5 was in their prime. The bottom line is this a lot of these so called "driving enthusiasists ", like the writer of this article, are not such great driving enthusiasists when you add 200 hp and 300 lbs. to a m5 with a manual transmissions. Like he said in the article while driving on the track with the 6 speed manual transmission he actually had to work at driving the car as opposed to just pointing the DCT.
Of course the people that buy M5's/M6's are different today, the cars are different. They're luxury GT type cars. For the life of me I can't understand why people that want the E39 experience would buy an F10 M5. Two different cars.
FTC commented:
July 19, 2014, 9:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjayfan View Post
No, that's an opinion, yours. You're free to have it but not everyone is going to agree.



Of course the people that buy M5's/M6's are different today, the cars are different. They're luxury GT type cars. For the life of me I can't understand why people that want the E39 experience would buy an F10 M5. Two different cars.
I disagree with you. I haven driven both. With the Dct the m5/m6's are gt cars and they become boring after about 6 months. Why ? It is the artificial non engaging feeling of the Dct. Fast yes, exciting, no. When you put a manual transmission in the m5 it becomes engaging and exciting because you really have to " drive" the car. As far as the M5 not being engaging like the e39 ? I disagree. I have driven both on the track and the f10 outperforms it in everyway.
bluejayfan commented:
July 19, 2014, 9:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTC View Post
I disagree with you. I haven driven both.
So it's impossible for anyone else who has driven them both not to come to the same conclusion?

All this anger (passion?) over an opinion when you should be happy there is still a choice.

Feel free to continue to vent, I'm out.
Kafkaesque320 commented:
July 19, 2014, 10:23 pm

When it comes to this age old discussion, opinion gets touted as fact pretty quickly, which is why it's futile to engage. "I prefer driving a manual, thus, it is the most engaging and the most fun and there is no possible way you can have as much fun with the automatic." Same old song.
PhilT3 commented:
July 20, 2014, 10:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTC View Post
I disagree with you. I haven driven both. With the Dct the m5/m6's are gt cars and they become boring after about 6 months. Why ? It is the artificial non engaging feeling of the Dct. Fast yes, exciting, no. When you put a manual transmission in the m5 it becomes engaging and exciting because you really have to " drive" the car. As far as the M5 not being engaging like the e39 ? I disagree. I have driven both on the track and the f10 outperforms it in everyway.
I understand and appreciate your passion. However, you may want to check what constitutes an opinion versus a fact.
TXSTYLE commented:
August 15, 2014, 1:05 am

In a Sports Car or Sedan or GT these days.... DCT all day everyday. There's a reason why the likes of Porsche Turbo S, GT-R, etc go this route... It's simply better all around.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
FTC commented:
August 15, 2014, 4:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
In a Sports Car or Sedan or GT these days.... DCT all day everyday. There's a reason why the likes of Porsche Turbo S, GT-R, etc go this route... It's simply better all around.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
disagree. Some cars maybe. The M3 or the M5 ARE much more engaging with six speed manuals. I HAVE DRIVEN BOTH THE DCT AND I OWN THE MANUAL and I can tell you this, although the dct is a very quick and excellent transmission it is the main reason why alot of auto journalists say the f10 M5 IS NOT AS ENGAGING TO DRIVE AS SAY THE E39 M5 WAS. As fast as the dct is it has a very artificial feeling to it, kind of like playing a video game, where as the six speed manual in the M5 MAY BRING OUT SOME REAL SHORT FALLS, it makes you drive the car and feel what it is actually doing while you are DRIVING the M5 versus just steering it.
FTC commented:
August 15, 2014, 5:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
In a Sports Car or Sedan or GT these days.... DCT all day everyday. There's a reason why the likes of Porsche Turbo S, GT-R, etc go this route... It's simply better all around.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Love the white BMW.