BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Driven Back-to-Back: 335i M-Sport vs Audi S4

81K views 158 replies 30 participants last post by  Emission 
#1 ·
Our test-driving adventures continue. My wife and I had previously driven a 328i M-Sport 6MT and a 335i Lux Line. From that drive, we preferred the 328i but also wanted to find at least a 335i in Sport Line or M-Sport to drive. We also wanted to do our due diligence and give the 2013 S4 a shot. That's exactly what we did today. Up first was the S4...

2013 Audi S4
The car we drove was equipped with the S-Tronic autobox. Sadly, not MTs or DSG cars at our local dealer. The car was driven in Dynamic and Auto modes. In terms of the drive itself, I thought the autobox was actually quite good. Not as quick as the BMW's, but really nothing that called attention to itself. Car felt tight and handled nicely. The S4 seats were very nice, about the same as the BMW's sport seats. Interior design was also pretty nice...nothing really to complain about. In fact, we thought it was nicer than the one in the A6 3.0T that we were ferried around in. That was about it for the S4. My overall impression was that it's a fast, competent car, but did nothing for me on an emotional level. Nothing that made me feel I really needed to have this car. The supercharged V6 is so quiet as to be essentially character-less. Also, I was bothered by some creaking coming from the passenger side window when going over bumps around rough city roads. I'm not a huge stickler for creaks and rattles (I own an E46 M3 for crying out loud) but this was really annoying in a brand new car that cost $59K+.

2013 335i M-Sport
We would've loved to have found a 6MT to drive, but no such luck. The good news for us was that this car was optioned exactly the same way that the 328i we drove a couple of weekends back. Only difference was in the transmissions; even the colors were the same (EBII). We got into the 335i about 15 mins after driving the S4, so the comparison was really, really obvious. The 335i just felt right-and that was before even starting the car. I guess we're just BMW people. But even accounting for that, the interior just looks and feels a notch up from the Audi's. Surprising for me, because I'd always thought very highly of Audi interiors. On paper, the S4 is faster. In real life, we felt the 335i gave nothing up to the S4. We drove the 335i in Sport mode at the request of our dealer-some customer recently drove an M5 in Sport+, lost control and totalled the car. The 335i M-Sport also came with DHP and that made it a lot more fun versus the 335i Lux that we drove before--much sharper response. The N55 also sounded much nicer to me than the V6 in the S4. The 335i also seemed way more dynamic feeling than the S4. Maybe it's the character of the twin turbos versus the supercharger? Either way, the 335i definitely got my pulse moving. Can't say the same for the S4.

Incidentally, the S4 also comes with electric steering now. Big mistake if you ask me. That car is only drivable in Dynamic-Auto and Comfort are just terribly light or terribly variable. Ugh. The steering wheel in the S4 also felt much less nice to handle versus the one in the 335i. That said, I wish the BMW could default to last user setting instead of Comfort, but I've been wishing for this for a very long time. Someday.

Apples to apples, I just can't imagine why anyone would pick the S4 over the 335i. Unless you shop for a car based only on specs, the S4 just doesn't make sense to me. It's less inspiring to drive, costs more (the one we drove came in about $1000 more than the 335i) and consumes more gas. I guess Audi is just going to suck it up until the next generation S4 comes out. My wife-whose car this or the F30 would be-declared herself a non-Audi person after these drives. Her words: "The S4 is so far off the table, it's crashed and burning on the floor, in a corner." :rofl:

See less See more
#108 · (Edited)
This is the problem I have with these advantages, it seems they are all subjective except for the 0-60. With the power pack this should take care of that. Even without the power pack the 335i is fast enough. The S4 does look nice in their equivalent of Estoril Blue though.

I have spent some time on audizine and I like the crowd there. They are down to earth, however the majority of them seem to be previous Golf/VW/Audi owners, it seems the S4 has not had a broader appeal. The guys they do love to mod their cars though.

#114 · (Edited)
That's why your opinion matters. It's unfortunate you say what I do not want to hear;)

After your post I am going to test drive it again before picking up the 335. I test drove it twice, the first time I was overwhelmed with how well it drove. The second time not so much. I will admit that with the fine nappa leather seats, there are very few interiors that smell as well south of $65,000

#115 · (Edited)
We have a 2011 Audi S4 with a DCT, a 2011.5 M3 sedan MT, and a 2011 335is convertible with a DCT.

They are all three very fine cars.

I prefer the S4 for highway trips as I find it more comfortable for me at 6'4". It is also very planted on the highway. The seating is very comfortable and has never given me a pain in my side when taking a trip like both of the BMWs have. I also think the acceleration is much smoother with the supercharger versus the turbos in the 335is - there is no choppy start-ups or slight hesitation when getting on it. The DCT functions faster and smoother than the DCT in my 335is. The GPS/entertainment center is easier and more straight forward to operate than the BMW iDrive. The rear seating is more comfortable and roomier for your legs as the seat bottoms have a better downward angle. There is a spare tire stored in the trunk and the car does not have run flat tires (also comes with a jack and tool kit). The trunk storage is more useful. Our S4 has all performance options and the car really wakes up in "Dynamic Mode" - the steering becomes more precise, the accelerator is more active, the handling is more planted and agressive, etc. The drink holders are better in the front and the rear. I prefer the quality of the leather better than the 335is (our M3 has the upgraded leather which is very nice indeed). I prefer that you actually move the shifter into the various drive positions as opposed to the very frustrating BMW shifter (automatic transmissions). The rear has broader view. The back-up camera and on-screen view is really excellent, and much better and more useful than the one in our M3. I like the S4 upgraded 19" wheels better than any of the BMW wheels. Each Fall season, Audi offers a wheel/snow tire package that is/was 1/2 the cost as compared to BMW (BMW offered no winter package deals, at least in 2011.) and, you can select from actual Made in Germany S4 wheel options and not some cheaper crappy looking wheels. The snow tires we have are Michelins.

The S4 has better stopping power as compared to my 335is. The S4 has three suspension adjustments as compared to my 335is that has no selections. I also like the change lanes warning system that was not offered by BMW. The S4 owners manual fits easily into the glove compartment and does not fit in either of the BMWs.

I do not like the electronic parking brake in the S4 and prefer the manual hand parking brake in the 335is and M3. I also don't like how much dust the brakes throw off and gets all over the wheels and sides/rear of car.

And, IMO, if there was never an article saying that the Audi's power is front wheel biased, I doubt that most drivers/if anyone who is not a race car driver would ever really notice it.

#116 ·
And, IMO, if there was never an article saying that the Audi's power is front wheel biased, I doubt that most drivers/if anyone who is not a race car driver would ever really notice it.
I believe that the AWD in the S4 is actually biased to the rear tires. And totally agree that it feels more planted on the highway than the F30 335. There are a lot of "objective" reasons that the S4 is better. You could say all the reasons that my wife and I prefer the F30 are purely subjective. That's fine with us. I do really appreciate all the discussion that this thread has generated!

All that said, we both actually still prefer the feel of the 328i. I will add that since this would be our second, more practical car, it would likely never see track time. That's what our M3 is for. Incidentally, I find the 328i a closer cousin to our M3 than the 335i in every instance other than a straight line.

#124 ·
We have a 2011 Audi S4 with a DCT, a 2011.5 M3 sedan MT, and a 2011 335is convertible with a DCT.

They are all three very fine cars.

I prefer the S4 for highway trips as I find it more comfortable for me at 6'4". It is also very planted on the highway. The seating is very comfortable and has never given me a pain in my side when taking a trip like both of the BMWs have. I also think the acceleration is much smoother with the supercharger versus the turbos in the 335is - there is no choppy start-ups or slight hesitation when getting on it. The DCT functions faster and smoother than the DCT in my 335is. The GPS/entertainment center is easier and more straight forward to operate than the BMW iDrive. The rear seating is more comfortable and roomier for your legs as the seat bottoms have a better downward angle. There is a spare tire stored in the trunk and the car does not have run flat tires (also comes with a jack and tool kit). The trunk storage is more useful. Our S4 has all performance options and the car really wakes up in "Dynamic Mode" - the steering becomes more precise, the accelerator is more active, the handling is more planted and agressive, etc. The drink holders are better in the front and the rear. I prefer the quality of the leather better than the 335is (our M3 has the upgraded leather which is very nice indeed). I prefer that you actually move the shifter into the various drive positions as opposed to the very frustrating BMW shifter (automatic transmissions). The rear has broader view. The back-up camera and on-screen view is really excellent, and much better and more useful than the one in our M3. I like the S4 upgraded 19" wheels better than any of the BMW wheels. Each Fall season, Audi offers a wheel/snow tire package that is/was 1/2 the cost as compared to BMW (BMW offered no winter package deals, at least in 2011.) and, you can select from actual Made in Germany S4 wheel options and not some cheaper crappy looking wheels. The snow tires we have are Michelins.

The S4 has better stopping power as compared to my 335is. The S4 has three suspension adjustments as compared to my 335is that has no selections. I also like the change lanes warning system that was not offered by BMW. The S4 owners manual fits easily into the glove compartment and does not fit in either of the BMWs.

I do not like the electronic parking brake in the S4 and prefer the manual hand parking brake in the 335is and M3. I also don't like how much dust the brakes throw off and gets all over the wheels and sides/rear of car.

Can you comment on maintenance costs of one vs the other?

#125 · (Edited)
All this is fair but the f30 fixed some of the shortfalls above. The back up camera for example, I have a 2011 X5 and the back up camera on that is better than Audi's. it's simply one of the best in the business and this is the same one on the F30s. The N55 paired with the ZF as in my X5 and in the F30 works very well. Motortrend exclaimed how the F30 they tested was just as fast as the 335is.

Just wanted to point this out as examples of how the F30 improved some of the shortfalls as noted above

#129 ·
All this is fair but the f30 fixed some of the shortfalls above. The back up camera for example, I have a 2011 X5 and the back up camera on that is better than Audi's. it's simply one of the best in the business and this is the same one on the F30s. The N55 paired with the ZF as in my X5 and in the F30 works very well. Motortrend exclaimed how the F30 they tested was just as fast as the 335is.

Just wanted to point this out as examples of how the F30 improved some of the shortfalls as noted above
There is no way that the F30 328i is "just as fast" as my 335is. Please provide the link to the story.

I have not seen the new BMW back up camera, but I love the one on our S4.

#144 · (Edited)
The exhaust system on the 335is was developed for the 335is. I was not aware that the new 335i will have a similar exhaust? Is the power pack you intend to install void the BMW warranty? The m Sport is an option package. The 335is is a special model.

#147 ·
That's purely subjective. The only thing that I will say about it is that I have no desire whatsoever to trade my car for a new 335i. I really like the 335is and feel it is a definite keeper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.