What to do while your BMW is being built?

by Bimmerfest.com Member - ihaveABimmer on November 7, 2012, 9:53 pm
I just received the production # for new bmw. it is currently in "production begins" phase. I wish I could get it tomorrow.

any suggestion on what I can do in the meantime to make sure I can start enjoying the car when it finally arrives in 6+ weeks.

any useful accessories, care kits, etc?

Leave a Comment

You must be a registered member to comment on stories. Please take a moment to register for your free account now. If you already have an account, log in using fields below.

109 responses to What to do while your BMW is being built?

jimpal commented:
November 7, 2012, 10:06 pm

Download the manual from the BMW website. It's a complicated car, and will seem more so if you haven't had a BMW before. If you study the manual now you will enjoy the car much more when you get it.
ihaveABimmer commented:
November 7, 2012, 10:10 pm

ok. i never read manuals when i get a new device so maybe now is a good time to do that.

good idea, thanks.
Ralph1201 commented:
November 8, 2012, 7:29 am

1. your car will come shining, but winter is coming. plan for its upkeep. you may consider opticoating it
2. do you have the rubber floor mats that will be useful during winter.
3. tint
4. read about coding if that interests you
Silververtu commented:
November 8, 2012, 8:49 am

1) Read the manual
2) Call the BMWNA 1-800 number for vehicle status
3) Learn how to track the vehicle/vessel location after the car left the port
4) Look for mods
5) Hang out here and 5post often
astrohip commented:
November 8, 2012, 10:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveABimmer View Post
I just received the production # for new bmw. it is currently in "production begins" phase. I wish I could get it tomorrow.

any suggestion on what I can do in the meantime to make sure I can start enjoying the car when it finally arrives in 6+ weeks.

I'm in the exact same boat. I am "in production". Here's what I've done:

* Ordered a new Valentine One. My current one has lived thru two 550's, so I figure it's time for the latest version. I always hard-wire them, so I want to have it ready to go.

* Ordered a new EZTag for our toll roads. I realize this is geocentric to me, but you may have something similar in your area. Houston EZTags stick to your windshield and can't be reused, so I want to have that ready also.

I'm waiting on mats, to see what comes in the car. I'll have it lightly tinted at the dealer.

Great idea about the manual. Thanks! I'm on my way to dl it now.

Great thread! Waiting is a b*tch...
RDZumbaugh commented:
November 8, 2012, 11:50 am

Looks like several of us are in production together. My 528 started production on 11/5/12 and the estimated completion date is 11/13/12. I'm trying not to get too excited - I went through this over the summer when I ordered my 2013 328 that they are taking back. I'm really excited to have the "comfort seats" - I didn't have those in my previous 550 or 535.

Ralph1201 - thanks for having the picture of your car online, it gives me a great idea as to what mine will look like on the outside. I'm not as excited about the 17" wheels and the look of them but I think they are growing on me. I really like the 18" wheels that came on my 328 Luxury Line. So I've been shopping online for possible wheel replacements. How do you like your 17" wheels - good ride?

I'm looking forward to my early Xmas present. HAHAHAHAHA
Ralph1201 commented:
November 8, 2012, 12:11 pm

RDZumbaugh - i like them. i think they look good.

but with the 17", ride is always good; it better be!
djsaad1 commented:
November 8, 2012, 12:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveABimmer View Post

Your still lucky, I placed an order over a month ago and my production week is 48. I still have 3 weeks to wait until it starts production.
FastMarkA commented:
November 8, 2012, 1:36 pm

Go to the strip club. Don't leave until the car arrives.
Silververtu commented:
November 8, 2012, 1:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
Your still lucky, I placed an order over a month ago and my production week is 48. I still have 3 weeks to wait until it starts production.
I placed the order in the first week of Oct and the car has been sitting at the port for several days waiting for vessel. Since yours is a sold order, the production week should get bump a week ahead.

The wait is not easy
calbears96 commented:
November 8, 2012, 2:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silververtu View Post
I placed the order in the first week of Oct and the car has been sitting at the port for several days waiting for vessel. Since yours is a sold order, the production week should get bump a week ahead.

The wait is not easy
The wait isn't easy. Mine completed production earlier this week. Maybe our cars will be on the same boat
SLORIDE commented:
November 8, 2012, 7:29 pm

My 535 M sport completed Nov 1, Now waiting for vessel. The wait is not easy
Donm commented:
November 8, 2012, 9:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLORIDE View Post
Deep breaths, OOOOMMMMMM, sitting in a dimly lit space with Yanni playing

BTW, on the EZ pass type transponders for toll roads - I have applied them to the sunroof glass just over the driver's head position so if the glass is open it is still available to the transponder equipment at the toll plaza. In Atlanta the stick on transponder is about as thick as a credit card with no battery. I used scotch tap to adhere it on a test run before a peel and stick session as they are a one time application. So far the heat between the glass and sunroof cover has not caused them to come undone.
miamiboyca commented:
November 8, 2012, 9:34 pm

Someone already mentioned it but look into the coding and the little tweaks that can be done to custom your BMW to your taste. (Turn signals, folding mirrors, HUD additions, adjustments of chimes and dings, etc.
Silververtu commented:
November 8, 2012, 10:31 pm

Quote:
Mine completed a day ahead of you and also waiting for vessel

Too bad ours won't get on the same boat
RDZumbaugh commented:
November 12, 2012, 2:05 pm

I called the BMWNA number and learned my vehicle is in the paint shop today - due to be completed tomorrow 11/13. I'm getting excited but trying to keep a lid on it because it will take a month to get to Florida - UGH!!!!
SLORIDE commented:
November 12, 2012, 9:40 pm

In Transit now. Anybody else on the vessel Rigel Leader?
Silververtu commented:
November 13, 2012, 9:09 am

Quote:
Mine is on Asia King heading to Baltimore now
astrohip commented:
November 14, 2012, 1:24 pm

Mine says "production ends". I assume that means it is waiting for a boat. How often does a boat get filled and depart? Weekly, monthly?
miamiboyca commented:
November 14, 2012, 2:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Mine says "production ends". I assume that means it is waiting for a boat. How often does a boat get filled and depart? Weekly, monthly?
It varies, but usually about every week to 10 days.

If you want to keep track of your ship - go over to he ED group - no doubt someone will be on the ship your car is on.
Ralph1201 commented:
November 14, 2012, 2:34 pm

After the production ends, some time is taken for getting the cars from Dingolfing plant to Bremerhaven port which is about 500 miles away.

Once the status changed to "Enroute to US" in Track your BMW , i used this.

1. https://att.2wglobal.com/gstattweb/o...uickSearchPage
Cargo ID was the VIN number. Get the Vessel name from here.

2. http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/
Use the Vessel name from above.
miamiboyca commented:
November 14, 2012, 3:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph1201 View Post
After the production ends, some time is taken for getting the cars from Dingolfing plant to Bremerhaven port which is about 500 miles away.

Yep, that's what I did too (different ship tracker) but if you start a thread saying "who' on ship name" everyone will start posting and you can keep great track of how long things are really taking. Just my $.02
astrohip commented:
November 15, 2012, 4:49 pm

Thanks! Great info.
LvnItUp commented:
November 17, 2012, 8:21 am

Ordered my 535 x drive last Monday. The waiting is going to kill me but it looks like I am in good company here. When I check the status with my production number it says that my order is still being processed---not even in production yet:0 Downloading the owners manual now. Thanks for the tip, it should keep me busy!
astrohip commented:
November 18, 2012, 5:31 pm

Quote:

Ok, I'm now En Route. I have a prod#, where can I find the VIN?
Silververtu commented:
November 18, 2012, 11:06 pm

Quote:
Ok, I'm now En Route. I have a prod#, where can I find the VIN?
Your CA. He/she should also know what vessel your car is on and ETA.
astrohip commented:
November 19, 2012, 11:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silververtu View Post
Your CA. He/she should also know what vessel your car is on and ETA.
Thanks!
mr29 commented:
November 19, 2012, 12:01 pm

great advice in this thread

Sent from my XT557 using Bimmer App
astrohip commented:
November 19, 2012, 12:51 pm

Florida Highway Ship, ETA 11-28-2012 according to my sales guy.

RDZumbaugh commented:
November 19, 2012, 2:03 pm

Just found out my 528 is on the Florida Highway and due into port on 11/28/12. EXCITED!!!!!! Anyone else on Florida Highway?
miamiboyca commented:
November 19, 2012, 3:23 pm

Where is the Florida highway?

I am confused. Highway, but do in port? Help me out here... RDZ
RDZumbaugh commented:
November 20, 2012, 8:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiboyca View Post
Where is the Florida highway?

I am confused. Highway, but do in port? Help me out here... RDZ
"Florida Highway" is the ships name. When my 2013 328 was shipped to the US of A, it was on the "California Highway" - I was a bit confused as to the name of the ships but figured it out.
miamiboyca commented:
November 20, 2012, 8:10 am

Great Name!
astrohip commented:
November 20, 2012, 5:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDZumbaugh View Post
Just found out my 528 is on the Florida Highway and due into port on 11/28/12. EXCITED!!!!!! Anyone else on Florida Highway?
How 'bout the guy in the post immediately above you!
miamiboyca commented:
November 20, 2012, 5:28 pm

Quote:
Negative, I was on the Aida, cleared customs and just waiting to schedule PCD. I was just curious skit the Florida highway... Thought it was a road... Lmao
Ralph1201 commented:
November 20, 2012, 7:47 pm

train of mis-hits
RDZumbaugh commented:
November 21, 2012, 1:45 pm

Quote:
Not sure how I missed that you're on the Florida Highway as well - DUH!!! AWESOME!!! I'm sitting her tapping my right foot as we speak. With my Holiday schedule, the first chance I'll probably have to pick up my car is probably 12/17. I'm really excited!!!

When I was first looking to get back into a sedan, I thought to look at the 5 again and should have bit the bullet and bought it. Instead, the new 3 really was all I needed in a sedan now that it is a little roomier. I guess the troubles I've had with my new 3 direct me back to the 5 series - I'm excited to have one again and hope not to have any issues with it.
astrohip commented:
November 21, 2012, 2:25 pm

Quote:
Not sure how I missed that you're on the Florida Highway as well - DUH!!! AWESOME!!! I'm sitting her tapping my right foot as we speak. With my Holiday schedule, the first chance I'll probably have to pick up my car is probably 12/17. I'm really excited!!!
I'm getting antsy/excited myself. Due in port a week from tomorrow, my guy says takes about 7-10 days to get to Houston. A day or so to hard-wire radar and tint, and I'm ready to go.

We went down to the dealer today and ordered my wife a new X5. Found a production slot for week 50 (maybe push to 49 if lucky), so it should be here last week of the year.

He said if we financed it, we'd get a $2500 rebate from BMW. Over & above his deal (which is invoice+1K). I think the min we can finance to qualify is $10,000, so I'll look into that. Mainly as to how quick we can pay it off.

Same kinda deal is available on the 5 series, except I'm leasing it.
Ralph1201 commented:
November 21, 2012, 2:33 pm

Quote:
He said if we financed it, we'd get a $2500 rebate from BMW. Over & above his deal (which is invoice+1K). I think the min we can finance to qualify is $10,000, so I'll look into that. Mainly as to how quick we can pay it off.

Same kinda deal is available on the 5 series, except I'm leasing it.
you can pay it off at the minimum in about 3 installments. wont cost more than $150 in interest.
also recommend the penfed. they have the cheapest rates i think. almost like free money considering inflation for a 60 month loan.
astrohip commented:
November 22, 2012, 8:51 am

Quote:
you can pay it off at the minimum in about 3 installments. wont cost more than $150 in interest.
also recommend the penfed. they have the cheapest rates i think. almost like free money considering inflation for a 60 month loan.
Thanks, $150 to get $2500 I can live with.

On the PenFed, are you saying it has a rebate deal? Or simply that if one is going to finance, they have great rates? Because I don't intend to finance unless it offers some incentive (ala BMW). (BTW, I have a PenFed Visa card--great rebates!)
RDZumbaugh commented:
November 22, 2012, 9:08 am

Astrohip ~ funny how you're going to get two new BMWers in December. My Partner and I are about to do the same thing - in December, they'll excuse the last three months of our 128 convertible lease so we can get either a 2013 128 or 328 convertible lease. We lease my Partners convertible because he only has a 5 mile commute to work and drive it on the weekends - we always turn it in about 10+k miles under what the lease allows. So when we pick up my 5, we might be walking away with a new convertible too.

I'm just glad that when I ordered this 5 that it was about to go into production for my dealer. This is a shorter wait than when I ordered my 2013 328. The waiting is what drives me NUTS!!! I'm not a patient person so this has certainly put me to the test doing this twice this year. HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! But I keep telling myself it'll be worth it. Especially since I'm getting the the Oyster/Black interior with multi-contour seats that I couldn't order on my 3. What's making it worse, I even dreamt of receiving my car last night - I just had to leave my 3 in the center of the road and dash across it to get to my 5. Maybe I need to seek help for this addiction of mine???? HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!!!!
astrohip commented:
November 23, 2012, 8:45 am

Quote:
Astrohip ~ funny how you're going to get two new BMWers in December. My Partner and I are about to do the same thing - in December, they'll excuse the last three months of our 128 convertible lease so we can get either a 2013 128 or 328 convertible lease. We lease my Partners convertible because he only has a 5 mile commute to work and drive it on the weekends - we always turn it in about 10+k miles under what the lease allows. So when we pick up my 5, we might be walking away with a new convertible too.

I'm just glad that when I ordered this 5 that it was about to go into production for my dealer. This is a shorter wait than when I ordered my 2013 328. The waiting is what drives me NUTS!!! I'm not a patient person so this has certainly put me to the test doing this twice this year. HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! But I keep telling myself it'll be worth it. Especially since I'm getting the the Oyster/Black interior with multi-contour seats that I couldn't order on my 3. What's making it worse, I even dreamt of receiving my car last night - I just had to leave my 3 in the center of the road and dash across it to get to my 5. Maybe I need to seek help for this addiction of mine???? HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!!!!
Hadn't planned on both of us getting cars at the same time. My wife has 80,000+ miles on a 2009 X5, so she's approaching the tipping point. But the new X5 is coming out next summer. Even she knows you never buy a first year model BMW, so it was either now or wait about two years, so we pulled the trigger.

Yeah, the wait is tough. Makes it all the tastier!
miamiboyca commented:
November 23, 2012, 11:15 am

Not to spoil things, but you think you will have both cars before the end of the year? That seems unlikely for the X5.
djsaad1 commented:
November 23, 2012, 2:17 pm

My car finished production yesterday, how long does it usually take to get to the port. There is a decent size tax credit if I can pick up the car in December so I am getting pretty anxious.
miamiboyca commented:
November 23, 2012, 2:31 pm

I would say probably around 4 weeks until you get it. But it depends on a lot of things including customs clearance, and VPC.
astrohip commented:
November 24, 2012, 9:39 am

Quote:
Not to spoil things, but you think you will have both cars before the end of the year? That seems unlikely for the X5.
You may be right. The 550 will be at port Thursday, 7-10 days later should be in Houston. That one's good to go.

I'm less familiar with the timing of X cars. I don't know what week 49/50 production means in relation to arriving at the dealer.

The 550 is being leased, and I want it to start this year. The X is just a purchase, although finance incentives may make me finance it for a couple months. I think the dealer said if we sign the deal this year that the BMW money would be locked in?
tadtaggert commented:
November 24, 2012, 9:45 am

Quote:
They're made in South Carolina, most times you can order and have the car in hand in less than a month.
miamiboyca commented:
November 24, 2012, 10:20 am

Quote:
You may be right. The 550 will be at port Thursday, 7-10 days later should be in Houston. That one's good to go.

I'm less familiar with the timing of X cars. I don't know what week 49/50 production means in relation to arriving at the dealer.

The 550 is being leased, and I want it to start this year. The X is just a purchase, although finance incentives may make me finance it for a couple months. I think the dealer said if we sign the deal this year that the BMW money would be locked in?
As long as they ran your credit and locked you in then you are good for 60days past the expiration of the incentives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadtaggert View Post
They're made in South Carolina, most times you can order and have the car in hand in less than a month.
Yeah, but h was talking week 49/50 production and Xmas is in between there so doubt it. Hopefully I am wrong, would be sweet if Astro got both his toys in December.
astrohip commented:
November 25, 2012, 8:59 am

Quote:
As long as they ran your credit and locked you in then you are good for 60days past the expiration of the incentives.
Thanks, good to know!

Quote:
Yeah, but h was talking week 49/50 production and Xmas is in between there so doubt it. Hopefully I am wrong, would be sweet if Astro got both his toys in December.
The X5 is my wife's, no biggie when it gets here.
miamiboyca commented:
November 25, 2012, 11:16 am

I hope for your sake, your wife does not read the boards... LOL

BTW- Its 90 days with a California Dealer, and 60 days everywhere else. Enjoy.
RDZumbaugh commented:
November 27, 2012, 11:05 am

Florida Highway is within range ~ almost to the port on VA. The wait is killing me.
djsaad1 commented:
November 27, 2012, 11:42 am

The "courage" just left the port a couple hours ago, I was hoping my car would be on it. But since the tracking still says no record found I am guessing it is still at the port. The "Aida" is at the port and leaves tomorrow, hopefully it will get on that since the next boat doesn't leave until December.
RDZumbaugh commented:
November 29, 2012, 8:59 am

Florida Highway is now on its way to Brunswick, GA - will arrive tomorrow. Can't wait - I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas.
astrohip commented:
November 29, 2012, 11:07 am

Quote:
Florida Highway is within range ~ almost to the port on VA. The wait is killing me.
Quote:
Florida Highway is now on its way to Brunswick, GA - will arrive tomorrow. Can't wait - I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas.
It stops in VA, then goes on to GA? Does it unload cars at both stops? Why? It's not like they're thousands of miles apart, hard to believe they gain any efficiency from multiple stops.

Nonetheless, assuming it hits GA tomorrow, when will we see our cars leave GA?
RDZumbaugh commented:
November 29, 2012, 5:04 pm

Astrohip - it actually stopped in Baltimore and I'm not sure if they unload vehicles there, I would assume so. I do know that the Brunswick VPC handles a lot of BMW's - As far west as Texas and most Southern states. From what I've read, it can take up to 7 days to get through customs and VPC processing before getting on a truck to your dealer.
calbears96 commented:
November 29, 2012, 6:03 pm

Quote:
Astrohip - it actually stopped in Baltimore and I'm not sure if they unload vehicles there, I would assume so. I do know that the Brunswick VPC handles a lot of BMW's - As far west as Texas and most Southern states. From what I've read, it can take up to 7 days to get through customs and VPC processing before getting on a truck to your dealer.
Yes, they unload in Baltimore. There's a VPC in port. Mine was delivered to the dealer today. Pick it up tomorrow
astrohip commented:
November 30, 2012, 10:32 am

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Getting close for us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbears96 View Post
Yes, they unload in Baltimore. There's a VPC in port. Mine was delivered to the dealer today. Pick it up tomorrow
{insert jealous smilie}
RDZumbaugh commented:
November 30, 2012, 10:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbears96 View Post
AWESOME!!!!! Post picks!!!!!
cordoor commented:
November 30, 2012, 10:02 pm

Finally, I have reason to read this thread. I'm waiting for mine now. Still in the very early stages of order processing.

I did today see progress though. They updated the pick of my car on the website so that the color is correct. LOL. (My SA modified an existing allocation to my spec).

-Corey
astrohip commented:
December 3, 2012, 3:55 pm

I have d/l'ed the Manual and glanced thru it. I wanted more info on the Entertainment system, and it appears to be in a separate manual. Does anyone have a link to it? I am especially interested in the ability to store music on the internal HD, and how that works. Plus USB drives, displaying info on the screens, etc.

I have seen the videos at the BMW site, but prefer manuals.

Thanks!

[Aside: My car finally went from En Route to Finishing Touches, which I assume means it is at the BMW prep facility (GA?).]
Ralph1201 commented:
December 3, 2012, 4:07 pm

p179 to p193 in the owners manual i have.
astrohip commented:
December 3, 2012, 4:42 pm

Quote:
p179 to p193 in the owners manual i have.
Thanks for the quick reply. Must be different from the online manual that BMW links to. Here is a snap of a random page in that range you gave, pg 184. It's on fueling.
Ralph1201 commented:
December 3, 2012, 4:52 pm

that page is p223 in my file. coudnt upload it since its 13mb and limit is 7mb.

fuelling comes in mobility (right side category)

before that is communication, and before that is entertainment where all the details that u were looking for is present.
astrohip commented:
December 3, 2012, 5:19 pm

Quote:
that page is p223 in my file. coudnt upload it since its 13mb and limit is 7mb.

fuelling comes in mobility (right side category)

before that is communication, and before that is entertainment where all the details that u were looking for is present.
Interesting that you have a different one. I've attached a snippet of the link on the MyBMW page that has my manual, and you can see it's only 5MB.

If you'd like and don't mind, you can email it directly to me, I'd love to see yours:

astrohip@gmail.com

Thanks!
Ralph1201 commented:
December 3, 2012, 5:29 pm

i see what u r saying. the manual in BMW website is only 5MB, but it is not the full fledged one which i have. Mine is the softcopy of the thick manual that comes with the car.

and i dont remember where i got it from.

anyways, email sent.
miamiboyca commented:
December 3, 2012, 6:50 pm

You should be able to go to the BMW website and create an account. Add you VIN as part of the account and you will then have links to the multiple manuals.

It may be only for BMWFS customers but give it a try. Still has tha links for my 2008 535i.
cordoor commented:
December 3, 2012, 10:07 pm

The manual for the 2012 MY appears to be 13 MB and the manual for the 2013 MY appears to be 5 MB. You can go to the owners section, then owner's manuals, and then 2012, and then find the 13 MB version there.

-Corey
cordoor commented:
December 3, 2012, 10:11 pm

I think BMW message up. The 2013 MY manual is missing in entirety the Navigation, Entertainment, and Communication sections that the 2012 MY manual has. I think iDrive changed for 2013 so either they didn't get these sections updated for the new system in time, or they decided to put these sections in the iDrive only, or something like that.

-Corey
miamiboyca commented:
December 3, 2012, 10:18 pm

Quote:
It stops in VA, then goes on to GA? Does it unload cars at both stops? Why? It's not like they're thousands of miles apart, hard to believe they gain any efficiency from multiple stops.

Nonetheless, assuming it hits GA tomorrow, when will we see our cars leave GA?
Remember that it's not just BMW cars on the ship, so there may be stops at nothing to do with BMW.
habacomike commented:
December 4, 2012, 12:08 pm

Quote:
Hey! The Rigel Leader arrived this am! Can't wait for my 650 xDrive Coupe to be delivered after a short 3.5 weeks from dropping it at Bremerhaven!

Mike
miamiboyca commented:
December 4, 2012, 8:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by habacomike View Post
Hey! The Rigel Leader arrived this am! Can't wait for my 650 xDrive Coupe to be delivered after a short 3.5 weeks from dropping it at Bremerhaven!

Mike
Which port?
habacomike commented:
December 6, 2012, 5:04 pm

Port Hueneme
astrohip commented:
December 7, 2012, 11:33 am

Will pick it up in about an hour... thanks for everyone's advice, support and handholding during my build!
Ralph1201 commented:
December 7, 2012, 11:39 am

Go get her! All the best!
miamiboyca commented:
December 7, 2012, 11:47 am

Enjoy! Great color choice
ihaveABimmer commented:
December 9, 2012, 3:22 pm

took delivery of mine yesterday. so far i'm loving it save for one minor bluetooth issue.
Sophisto commented:
December 9, 2012, 5:42 pm

Good for you, so now the wait is over what is next?
Maybe take a long drive for a couple of days to find out what kind of nice car you have got?
ihaveABimmer commented:
December 10, 2012, 1:01 pm

I won't have an opportunity for a long drive until after xmas. right now, i'm just trying to get it configured to my liking.

I like playing with all the different suspension and drive modes. i thought Eco pro would be unenjoyable but so far it's not bad if you're on the highway.

i'm annoyed that the Bluetooth song info on the idrive is not always in sync with song playing from my phone. it's intermittent so i think there might be a usage method that circumvents this annoyance. my phone announces and reads txt messages over bluetooth. that's why i'd prefer bluetooth to USB for music; the sound quality is good enough.

does anyone have a better experience using bluetooth A2DP?
bradshawsa commented:
December 10, 2012, 3:10 pm

Ordered my 535i on 9/22/12. Went into production on 11/23/12. Left plant on 12/10/12. When I asked how long was the shipping time, I was told by BMWNA that there was a delay at the east coast ports due to Hurricane Sandy and they were not sure.
miamiboyca commented:
December 10, 2012, 4:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradshawsa View Post
Ordered my 535i on 9/22/12. Went into production on 11/23/12. Left plant on 12/10/12. When I asked how long was the shipping time, I was told by BMWNA that there was a delay at the east coast ports due to Hurricane Sandy and they were not sure.
You can track it if you have the VIN or bill of lading on the WW site.
darius7 commented:
December 11, 2012, 11:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradshawsa View Post
damn! do you know the reason why did it take so long from the time you ordered and production?

I ordered mine last week and was told to expect at the dealer mid February.
djsaad1 commented:
December 11, 2012, 11:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by darius7 View Post
damn! do you know the reason why did it take so long from the time you ordered and production?

I ordered mine last week and was told to expect at the dealer mid February.
It's because of the individual options, mine took just as long. I ordered mine at the end of September as well and its still on the boat.
darius7 commented:
December 11, 2012, 12:25 pm

Quote:
It's because of the individual options, mine took just as long. I ordered mine at the end of September as well and its still on the boat.
Mine is base with Carbon black paint, Hi-Fi and ceramic controls. Hope it will be here before March 1st in time for cash credit and loyalty incentives to be valid. If not I'm screwed.
djsaad1 commented:
December 11, 2012, 12:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by darius7 View Post
Mine is base with Carbon black paint, Hi-Fi and ceramic controls. Hope it will be here before March 1st in time for cash credit and loyalty incentives to be valid. If not I'm screwed.
It doesn't look like you got any individual options unless you got individual leather, so you should be fine depending on the slots your dealer has available.

If you choose an individual option it automatically delays your order by a month no matter what week your dealer gives you.
Donm commented:
December 11, 2012, 12:53 pm

I feel very lucky, that's all it could have been. I signed the paperwork on a Saturday at the end of Sept. and was given a production slot that started the next Monday (something the dealer must have had in reserve?). Car was completed in about 7 days and must have had to do a Dukes Of Hazard ramp jump onto the back of the transport ship! Pick it up just more than 4 weeks after purchase.

Sorry to hear of the long waits, should not be that way.
darius7 commented:
December 11, 2012, 2:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donm View Post
I feel very lucky, that's all it could have been. I signed the paperwork on a Saturday at the end of Sept. and was given a production slot that started the next Monday (something the dealer must have had in reserve?). Car was completed in about 7 days and must have had to do a Dukes Of Hazard ramp jump onto the back of the transport ship! Pick it up just more than 4 weeks after purchase.

wow, that's nice! Good for you and enjoy your ride!
miamiboyca commented:
December 11, 2012, 4:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donm View Post

The dealer has certain cars that are allotted to them. They order them according to market conditions. Normally when you order, they will adjust one of these available vehicles (not promised to anyone else) for you. So a dealer with a high allotment will have more opportunities to change and existing order right before it goes into production. This is how you get quick turn around times.

Good time with the ships does not hurt either...
marsb007 commented:
December 11, 2012, 5:16 pm

I ordered mine mid-November and it was completed by November 26. On the ship by December 5... Should be in GA by December 24 (when I assume no one is working) and then make it's way to Miami before the new year...

In the meantime I've given the WW website a few hundred hits, ordered my coding cable, and ordered new Optimum products to detail the car when it arrives. I've already read the manual, and perused all the forums I could find. It's becoming an obsession at this point...
miamiboyca commented:
December 12, 2012, 4:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsb007 View Post
I ordered mine mid-November and it was completed by November 26. On the ship by December 5... Should be in GA by December 24 (when I assume no one is working) and then make it's way to Miami before the new year...

In the meantime I've given the WW website a few hundred hits, ordered my coding cable, and ordered new Optimum products to detail the car when it arrives. I've already read the manual, and perused all the forums I could find. It's becoming an obsession at this point...
I hate to break it to you but 6 days to clear customs, VPC and transit to your dealer... does ot look good.
djsaad1 commented:
December 12, 2012, 4:52 pm

How long does it usually take? My car is supposed to arrive in GA tomorrow. Anyone know how long it should take to arrive at my dealer in Texas? I was guessing 10 days but now I am thinking I might be way off.
miamiboyca commented:
December 12, 2012, 5:09 pm

Quote:
How long does it usually take? My car is supposed to arrive in GA tomorrow. Anyone know how long it should take to arrive at my dealer in Texas? I was guessing 10 days but now I am thinking I might be way off.
This is all in my opinion based on what I have seen.

I would expect about 2 weeks from port of entry for a non-ED car, but it can take longer. Personally I think you have a shot at getting it before the new year. But getting into port on Xmas Eve you lose too many days and too many people on vacation. I mean you need a day ro two just for transit assuming they are not making other stops along the way.

Make sure you report back when you get it, would be good to evaluate this time of year.
marsb007 commented:
December 12, 2012, 5:55 pm

Quote:
This is all in my opinion based on what I have seen.

I would expect about 2 weeks from port of entry for a non-ED car, but it can take longer. Personally I think you have a shot at getting it before the new year. But getting into port on Xmas Eve you lose too many days and too many people on vacation. I mean you need a day ro two just for transit assuming they are not making other stops along the way.

Make sure you report back when you get it, would be good to evaluate this time of year.
Well, it seems I was following the wrong ship. My car is actually on a KLine ship, Athens Highway, with an estimated arrival of December 20 (dealer says it should be Dec 19). According to them, about 2-3 days until they get the car from that point forward. I've seen other people state their car cleared customs electronically before the ship even arrived, so I'm being optimistic I can pick it up before Christmas. After all, I'm sure the dealer knows pretty well where their stock is and how soon it gets to them.
RDZumbaugh commented:
December 12, 2012, 6:09 pm

I've just made the appt to pick up my 5 series this Friday 12/14 - production started on it on 11/5/12, I'm getting this about 3 weeks faster than when I ordered my 2013 328. EXCITED to say the least.
miamiboyca commented:
December 12, 2012, 6:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsb007 View Post
Well, it seems I was following the wrong ship. My car is actually on a KLine ship, Athens Highway, with an estimated arrival of December 20 (dealer says it should be Dec 19). According to them, about 2-3 days until they get the car from that point forward. I've seen other people state their car cleared customs electronically before the ship even arrived, so I'm being optimistic I can pick it up before Christmas. After all, I'm sure the dealer knows pretty well where their stock is and how soon it gets to them.
Good luck, I certainly hope you get it in time. Makes for a great Xmas morning.
RDZumbaugh commented:
December 17, 2012, 2:34 pm

Got my 528 last Thursday!!!! I can't help comparing it to my two previous 5 series vehicles and this 5 is several steps above. This is a beautiful vehicle and drives like a DREAM!!!!! I don't want to get out of it!!!!
shicobico commented:
December 22, 2012, 9:03 am

"What to do while your BMW is being built?"

You try and sell the old one.
astrohip commented:
December 23, 2012, 1:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shicobico View Post
"What to do while your BMW is being built?"

You try and sell the old one.
Ain't that the truth!

I took both the cars we replaced this month to Carmax before I tried the dealer. In both cases, the dealer was *higher* than Carmax. I was somewhat surprised.

Example: My 2007 550i, fully loaded, 92K miles, in very good shape. Carmax $11K, dealer $14K. Dealer wins.

I had -zero- desire to sell it myself, so these were my only options, based on how lazy I am.
ProRail commented:
December 23, 2012, 7:23 pm

Yep. Download the manual and highlight everything that seems new. It's amazing how many people ask questions on this forum that are answered by the manual. Also, when you first get your car, ask the dealer to program everything you want want customized. If you wait too long you may have to pay for programming.
cordoor commented:
December 23, 2012, 8:05 pm

Quote:
I had -zero- desire to sell it myself, so these were my only options, based on how lazy I am.
I hate selling a car. It takes too much time and requires accommodating potential buyers' need to test drive.

So whenever I sell a car (not on a trade in), I list it rock bottom to sell it quickly, usually within a few days of listing it and usually to the first person to test drive it.

However, this time I took a different route. I simply found the co-worker with the oldest BMW and offered him my 2008 535xi at mid private party blue book (he currently drives a 1997 3 series with 160K+ miles on it).

He bit. He already has financing lined up and ready for the car when my ordered 550 arrives.

This was the easiest sale I've had.

-Corey
suplink commented:
February 4, 2013, 1:57 pm

Hi, I am also waiting for my vehicle and it's taking a long time. Thank you for the suggestion in calling the BMWNA 1800 for vehicle status. Will call and find out. If it's taking too long thinking I can cancel and get back the $500. Anyone know?
cordoor commented:
February 4, 2013, 3:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by suplink View Post
Hi, I am also waiting for my vehicle and it's taking a long time. Thank you for the suggestion in calling the BMWNA 1800 for vehicle status. Will call and find out. If it's taking too long thinking I can cancel and get back the $500. Anyone know?
You should be able to get back the $500 up until the moment you finish signing the final papers.

-Corey
markingley commented:
February 9, 2013, 11:57 am

I'm new to this forum and interested in having BMW custom build my car. Could anybody please point me in the direction for starting this process?

Thanks,
Mark Ingley
miamiboyca commented:
February 9, 2013, 12:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by markingley View Post
I'm new to this forum and interested in having BMW custom build my car. Could anybody please point me in the direction for starting this process?

Thanks,
Mark Ingley
I suggest you contact a sponsor and start working with them. What part of the country are you in?
markingley commented:
February 9, 2013, 12:36 pm

I am in California. When I say that I want to custom build, I would like to clarify that I mean "everything" and not just what the bmwusa.com website offers under their "build your own" section. For example, I would like an N55 diesel in my 3 series, with active hybrid, and a whole host of new, state of the art electronics.

How do I go about getting/finding a sponsor? Our salesperson who sold us our first Bimmer is a very good friend of the family -- maybe contact him (?).
miamiboyca commented:
February 9, 2013, 12:46 pm

Quote:
I am in California. When I say that I want to custom build, I would like to clarify that I mean "everything" and not just what the bmwusa.com website offers under their "build your own" section. For example, I would like an N55 diesel in my 3 series, with active hybrid, and a whole host of new, state of the art electronics.

How do I go about getting/finding a sponsor? Our salesperson who sold us our first Bimmer is a very good friend of the family -- maybe contact him (?).
I don't know that you can do things outside of what BMW lets you do, but good luck with that.

I use Greg Poland, he is in California. Great guy.
cordoor commented:
February 9, 2013, 2:11 pm

Quote:
I would like to clarify that I mean "everything" and not just what the bmwusa.com website offers under their "build your own" section.
What they offer under the "build your own" section is about all you can get even through custom ordering.

You can make some special changes, such as have BMW individual put a 7 series (or some other series) leather or wood trim on your 5 series, or find someone to special add 4-zone climate control, or get a leather dash. But some of these changes can be expensive (e.g. probably 8K to have them put a 7 series leather on your 5 series).

But you can't do much else than that.

If you're in California, then Greg Poland. He is honest and his deals are significantly more than fair.

-Corey
miamiboyca commented:
February 9, 2013, 2:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordoor View Post
What they offer under the "build your own" section is about all you can get even through custom ordering.

Yeah, I didn't know about what you could special order so I did not chime in, but as an example the Diesel engine, with active hybrid...??? I don't know that it exists anywhere in BMW since diesels already provide improved MPG.

He does not want a custom built BMW - he wants a custom car.
My Mia commented:
February 21, 2013, 10:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by suplink View Post
Are you still waiting or did you cancel?
Bruce917 commented:
February 22, 2013, 12:47 pm

Quote:

You can add a few things outside of what the configurator adds, for a price, I've added five items;
Special Order paint
Nappa leather dash
Performance exhaust
Black grills
M Performance decals

The last three are added at the VPC/VDC and not on the manufacturing line but will show up on your build sheet.
The first two are items are at the discretion of the local BMW rep. As an example I had two dealers spec'ing my car, the one in CA told me the leather dash was a no go - arbitary, as I said.