'BMW F30 3 series Gran Turismo exposed

The spy photographers at MotorAuthority have caught the model year 2014 BMW 3 series Gran Trismo fully exposed. The hatch back F34 3 series variant retains the sedan headlight shape and front end, adds in the the F32 coupe side vents (see the F32 4 series coupe exposed) and grafts on the hatch back and rear end of a 5 series GT. The initial reaction to the design is not entirely positive.

The newest feature, the side vent, hasn't been well received and seeing it on the F34 3 series GT implies that it is here to stay. In fact having it on the 3 series GT might indicate that the 3 series sedan could see the side vent either as a part of a model year 2014 refresh or as part of the LCI due for model year 2015.

Sharp eyes will note the vent on the 3 series GT is matte silver colored above but on the 3 series GT M Sport and on the 4 series coupe sport line the vent is high gloss black. The vent finish will be depend on the trim level i.e the "line" on the car.

With the F3x chassis BMW is not only splitting the naming up in the 3 series and 4 series but they're also dramatically expanding the models. The F3x lineup in total will include -
  • F30 3 Series Sedan
  • F31 3 Series Touring
  • F32 4 Series Coupe
  • F33 4 Series Convertible
  • F34 3 Series (GT) Gran Touring
  • F35 3 Series Long Wheelbase - built in China for the Chinese market
  • F36 4 Series Gran Coupe

The F34 3 series Gran Turismo will come with the same engine and transmission options in the F30 sedan. The big question is will it come to the US? BMW brought the 5 series GT state side as a replacement for the 5 series wagon. With the 3 series wagon confirmed for US soil in spring of 2013 does it make sense to have both in the market?

Flip over to Motor Authority to see the entire gallery and then let us know what you think of the F34 3 series GT.

Leave a Comment

You must be a registered member to comment on stories. Please take a moment to register for your free account now. If you already have an account, log in using fields below.

55 responses to Spied: 2014 BMW 3 Series Gran Trismo - Without Camo

Tirpitz commented:
December 3, 2012, 1:09 pm

To my eye looks pretty much like the 5GT. So if you hate the way that looks you'll hate this one too. I think the 5GT has place in the lineup in the US because we no longer get the 5 Touring. But we do get the 3 Touring which leaves me scratching my head at the point of a 3GT. But perhaps there are enough people who need that form factor and hate wagons?
Chris90 commented:
December 3, 2012, 1:34 pm

All the GTs are butt ugly.
trinipirate commented:
December 3, 2012, 2:19 pm

Hmm only thing I like about this are the headlights
RRRize commented:
December 3, 2012, 3:10 pm

gross.
RipSnort535i commented:
December 3, 2012, 3:15 pm

I guess the question is....why?
Daedalus34r commented:
December 3, 2012, 3:15 pm

oh lawd that is hideous.
Wrink commented:
December 3, 2012, 3:21 pm

Based on the picture in Tim's post I do not like the looks. However, I will reserve final judgement till I see one in person.
windsor027 commented:
December 3, 2012, 3:22 pm

My reaction to the profile pict. WTF are you thinking BMW?
JoeFromPA commented:
December 3, 2012, 4:07 pm

What is the purpose of this vs. the 3-series wagon, which by all pictures I've seen is an absolutely gorgeously executed wagon.

We already have a butt ugly x1
otonimus commented:
December 3, 2012, 4:08 pm

BARF

Looks like that hideous Honda crossover thing smashed into a Cadillac coupe

And yeah... WHY? Is there no wagon in the works?
ND40oz commented:
December 3, 2012, 4:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by otonimus View Post
BARF

Looks like that hideous Honda crossover thing smashed into a Cadillac coupe

F31 Touring (wagon) has already been released. I'm hoping the F36 is the 4 door to get, this F34 isn't it.
tdd commented:
December 3, 2012, 4:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipSnort535i View Post
I guess the question is....why?
+1. Aside from not liking the looks of GT's generally, I've never quite understood the "why" of the design.
tim330i commented:
December 3, 2012, 4:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by otonimus View Post
The F31 3 series touring will be hitting US dealerships in spring of 2013. Details here -

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=620528

Tim
JoeFromPA commented:
December 3, 2012, 5:08 pm

That's my point - the wagon is so much better executed AND more functional than this (I'm guessing here due to that roof slope).

Why would this ever go beyond a concept? And wasn't the 5-series GT a complete bomb?
bzcat commented:
December 3, 2012, 8:02 pm

I don't know why BMW keep wanting to reinvent the wheel (I guess pun intended...). The "GT" series idea sounds good in theory: hatchback version of 3 and 5 series... what can go wrong? But plenty can and does go wrong when BMW thinks "outside the box". If you want to see what 3GT does right looks like, just take a look at Audi A5 Sportback. That's the proportion and overall teardrop shape I was hoping the F34 will take, instead of following 5GT's ugly footstep.

3ismagic# commented:
December 3, 2012, 8:46 pm

Nein Danke.
MMME30W commented:
December 3, 2012, 8:53 pm

Wow. That is one butt ugly car. Give me a wagon any day.
boltjaM3s commented:
December 3, 2012, 9:18 pm

Am I allowed to say how unattractive that car is?

BJ
johnc_22 commented:
December 3, 2012, 9:56 pm

The 80's called and want their Chevy Citation back.
iamthewalrus commented:
December 3, 2012, 10:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
What is the purpose of this vs. the 3-series wagon, which by all pictures I've seen is an absolutely gorgeously executed wagon.

We already have a butt ugly x1
The idea that BMW NA would bring this rather than a manual-transmission X1 is crazy. They keep limiting the drive train choices and then bringing out ugly (and frivolous) model variations that depress the units sold per model further hurting the business case for manual transmissions. Oh well...

Saw many X1 in Sydney last week, and they look surprisingly good on the road. Just enough ground clearance to be useful and yet small enough to park in an urban environment. My kind of SUV!

-James
San Francisco, CA and Seattle, WA
iamthewalrus commented:
December 3, 2012, 10:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
I don't know why BMW keep wanting to reinvent the wheel (I guess pun intended...). The "GT" series idea sounds good in theory: hatchback version of 3 and 5 series... what can go wrong? But plenty can and does go wrong when BMW thinks "outside the box". If you want to see what 3GT does right looks like, just take a look at Audi A5 Sportback. That's the proportion and overall teardrop shape I was hoping the F34 will take, instead of following 5GT's ugly footstep.

I saw *tons* of A5 four-doors in Sydney, and they're really stunning. Gorgeous car with the looks of an A5 coupe and the practicality of the A4. It's like an A7 for people who actually have to parallel park in a city sometimes rather than valeting it 100% of the time.
ND40oz commented:
December 3, 2012, 11:27 pm

Quote:

http://www.fourtitude.com/gallery/ge...scaled_600.jpg
The 4er Gran Coupe is supposed to compete with the A5 Sportback, not the 3er GT. Just like the 6er Gran Coupe competes with the A7, not the 5er GT. The GT is about function over form, the Gran Coupe give up some of the function for the form, all depends on what you're looking for.
brkf commented:
December 3, 2012, 11:38 pm

That's worse looking than the F30... took something bland and made it ugly. Wow.
donquixotesque commented:
December 4, 2012, 12:02 am

So sad to see such a fine machine destroyed as a result of "design by committee".
beden1 commented:
December 4, 2012, 12:20 am

The front side vent does not look black like the camo picture. But, the car looked better with the camo. I do like the paint color.
sf_loft commented:
December 4, 2012, 3:55 am

Hondaesque.
enigma commented:
December 4, 2012, 4:05 am

BMW has been spreading so thin with so many models...

Even number (2er, 4er, 6er) Coupe + Convertible + Gran Coupe
Odd number (1er, 3er, 7er) Sedan + Touring/Wagon + Gran Turismo
+ X1/3/5/6 SUVs
+ Z4
+ M cars + "M-Performance" cars (e.g. M135)
+ Active Hybrids
+ Upcoming i's

This and the 5GT take the ugliest car award... Why BMW? Focus on fewer and make'em right.
iamthewalrus commented:
December 4, 2012, 10:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
BMW has been spreading so thin with so many models...
This and the 5GT take the ugliest car award... Why BMW? Focus on fewer and make'em right.
+1 Focus on fewer models, make them right, and bring the right drive train choices.
kosmo commented:
December 4, 2012, 10:56 am

I"ll reserve judgement until I see a production version in the flesh. I like nice looking cars, but that is usually about the 4th or 5th criteria in the actual buying decision. Sadly, if it was paramount, I'd buy an Audi every time over a BMW (for at least the last 10 years, anyway).

I read somewhere that the wheelbase is longer. If true, and the cargo bed is also longer, I'd at least take a hard look at it over the wagon, simply because I like to carry bikes and skis inside the car, and a little extra length makes that easier.

But I'l probably buy the wagon in the end.

Especially if they offer the MT!!!
bzcat commented:
December 4, 2012, 4:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
The 4er Gran Coupe is supposed to compete with the A5 Sportback, not the 3er GT. Just like the 6er Gran Coupe competes with the A7, not the 5er GT. The GT is about function over form, the Gran Coupe give up some of the function for the form, all depends on what you're looking for.
But that's the "thinking outside the box" fail part I was referring to.

The whole point of hatchback is to retain style while gaining function. Why can't BMW just make a hatchback version of 3 and 5 series without lifting it like a SUV and adding so much greenhouse that it looks like a overgrown ogre?

BMW could have made the GT and the GC both look good but they choose not to.
ND40oz commented:
December 4, 2012, 4:16 pm

Quote:
But that's the "thinking outside the box" fail part I was referring to.

The whole point of hatchback is to retain style while gaining function. Why can't BMW just make a hatchback version of 3 and 5 series without lifting it like a SUV and adding so much greenhouse that it looks like a overgrown ogre?

BMW could have made the GT and the GC both look good but they choose not to.
Maybe the double function of the rear where you can use at as a trunk or as a hatch dictated this design, that was their thinking out of the box on this one, you can either use it like a trunk or like a hatch.

It doesn't look like it's lifted though, are you thinking it is?
diesel86 commented:
December 4, 2012, 5:13 pm

I just threw up in my mouth a little.
amancuso commented:
December 5, 2012, 10:54 am

This car is utter fail.
pistolpuma commented:
December 6, 2012, 8:07 pm

Honda-esque
b5rider commented:
December 6, 2012, 8:16 pm

This monstrosity is sure to make my sport wagon go up in value
captainaudio commented:
December 6, 2012, 8:53 pm

I think it looks better with the camo.

CA
MMME30W commented:
December 6, 2012, 9:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I think it looks better with the camo.

CA
BMWZ4RIDER commented:
December 10, 2012, 4:26 pm

WOW- what an Fugley looking machine. Mistake at best.
TV88 commented:
December 11, 2012, 2:20 pm

This can't be real, can it? It is absolutely disgusting. Beyond belief.
johnbmw6 commented:
December 11, 2012, 6:00 pm

VILE.
Zeichen311 commented:
December 11, 2012, 6:21 pm

NOW can you accept that Chris Bangle was a genius?

The designer of this tripe is the guy to lock in the pillory for a year. Or six.
Mick22 commented:
December 12, 2012, 11:43 pm

Wow, not very good looking... I wouldn't bother selling it in the US if I was BMW.
chris328 commented:
December 13, 2012, 8:53 am

they need to make some major management decisions wrt who is in charge of design at BMW right now... they are losing it
chris328 commented:
December 13, 2012, 8:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
NOW can you accept that Chris Bangle was a genius?

The designer of this tripe is the guy to lock in the pillory for a year. Or six.
He designed the old 5 series and the bangle butt, but he also designed the e92 (e90 was some japanese guy i believe)
Tanning machine commented:
December 13, 2012, 9:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4RIDER View Post
WOW- what an Fugley looking machine. Mistake at best.
It looks decent if it's put next to a 5GT.

Maybe that's how they convinced themselves to go forward with it.

The audi picture looks like a decent execution of the concept (for whatever the concept it worth), but BMW failed on its effort.
samualcc commented:
December 13, 2012, 9:23 am

Meh... car company makes lots of money, car company can afford to experiment.
elistan commented:
December 13, 2012, 9:55 am

Am I missing something, or is this simply a regular ol' F30 3-series with a slightly more sloped rear roofline to accomodate a hatchback? Quite a minor change, from what I can tell. I'd say the looks are 99% equivalent to a regular sedan F30. YMMV, I guess.
chris328 commented:
December 13, 2012, 10:06 am

thats why it is an F34 and the sedan is an F30. they are supposed to come from the same "bloodline"

in this case the bloodline seems to extend from a very ugly person with a huge nose. or perhaps the F stands for fugly
mohrgan commented:
December 13, 2012, 11:42 am

Nice Honda Crosstour! Yet another vehicle that provides an answer to a question nobody asked.
Golfster commented:
December 17, 2012, 8:23 am

Yep, brings back memories of a Pontiac Aztec for sure. No, they aren't twins, but both ugly just the same.
Mongonui commented:
December 17, 2012, 8:03 pm

I've got a beautiful euro-wife and Ping golf clubs and want to haul both around the country. This GT is just made for me. I find is sleek and elegant, less clunky than a wagon or SUV and so..... WHEN CAN I BUY ONE? mongonui
F07 commented:
January 1, 2013, 1:57 pm

I have owned the 550i GT and absolutely loved it and I will say it's one of the best BMW's I've driven. The active and 4-way steering (integral steering) make a huge difference in driving dynamics.

I'll admit that the GT is not for everyone, but for those who don't like it, I ask that you go ahead and drive it. BMW is putting more technology into the GT line than your standard 3 or 5 series and it really brings a lot of joy in driving a BMW. Just try it.

My lease ended and I jumped into an X5, however I'm already planning to lease another 550 GT after my current lease is over. In fact I'm planning on a Euro delivery for the new GT.

I also encourage you to check out the GT forums and see how happy their owners are.

Just my $0.02

Altaai
'12 X5 5.0i LCI
'10 550i GT
'08 535 Xi
'03 X5 4.4i
'02 540 iT
'01 740iL
'92 735i
Mongonui commented:
January 1, 2013, 4:46 pm

Thanks for the heads up on the good experience you have had with bmw. As for the euro delivery, is that the same kind of program as Volvo where you pick up your little baby at the factory, toot around Europa for a while and then fly home with bmw shipping the car back to you in the US. The Volvo plan actually saves money, even though they will fly you and wife/significant other to Sweden and back to the US?

Best wishes , mongonui
F07 commented:
January 1, 2013, 5:31 pm

Mongonui,

The Volvo European delivery sounds close to the one BMW offers.

Bimmerfest has a forum dedicated to the European delivery where you can read about the program and owner's experiences here: European Delivery

The BMW USA link is here: European Delivery

And here's a PDF brochure link: European Delivery Program Guide

Hope that helps.

Altaai
'12 X5 5.0i LCI
'10 550i GT
'08 535 Xi
'03 X5 4.4i
'02 540 iT
'01 740iL
'92 735i
TV88 commented: