BMW i8 Inches Closer to Production

by Tim Jones on December 11, 2012, 6:40 pm
BMW i8 nears production

We've spotted the latest BMW i8 test mule cold weather endurance testing. This prototype reveals some new details never seen before and shows that the development is well underway for a debut in 2013.

For the first time the i8 is sporting the BMW Hoffmeister kink at the rear side window as well as the real side skirts that now match the i8 Concept car. Other changes are the new position of the door handles, the new sportier looking side mirrors and more visible kidney grilles.

In addition to the new details the amount of camouflage panels has dropped significantly. When compared this test mule to the previous spied i8 test mules the differences are dramatic.

BMW i8 winter testing March 2011
BMW i8 Winter Weather Testing

BMW i8 winter testing December 2012
BMW i8 on sale 2012

While there is still a long way until we see the production i8 in 2014 this test mule makes me thing it is going to be a great looking car. Who else is excited about BMW electric super car?
BMW-i8-Snow-Testing 1BMW-i8-Snow-Testing 2BMW-i8-Snow-Testing 3BMW-i8-Snow-Testing 4BMW-i8-Snow-Testing 5BMW-i8-Snow-Testing 6BMW-i8-Snow-Testing 7

9 responses to BMW i8 Inches Closer to Production

reytran commented:
December 12, 2012, 1:28 pm

It looks more present, more realistic this time. The concept was more futuristic. IMO, I like the concept picture more. (Is that because of the wrapping that makes it look different?)
mrbmwx5 commented:
December 12, 2012, 3:24 pm

It remind me the look of the old Nissan 300Z
ddk632 commented:
December 15, 2012, 1:18 pm

I am excited about it. Saw an online German order form somewhere, want to know how to secure a production slot here in the US. This car is going to be awesome!
nightmareuki commented:
December 15, 2012, 1:19 pm

first thought of the blue camo one - 300z
tim330i commented:
December 15, 2012, 1:35 pm

The i8 isn't coming out until 2014 so it might be a little premature to try and get a production slot.

Tim
dms540i commented:
December 15, 2012, 7:11 pm

The windshield is gone, the doors are gone, the side view mirrors are toast, and the Pontiac is emerging.
ddk632 commented:
January 20, 2013, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by tim330i View Post

Tim
I hear you. I asked because I've seen a German order form of some sort flying around the interwebs. I figured there's gotta be a way to secure a place in line for when the actual production slots are available, obviously not until production starts. I guess I figuratively used the term here, not literally.
svp66 commented:
March 18, 2013, 9:38 pm

And the first video review here:

You guys like my next car?
bmwdog224 commented: