6WB Multifunctional Instrument Panel Retrofit

by Bimmerfest.com Member - Patrys@BimmerTech on December 16, 2012, 10:43 am
Hi everyone,

I am very happy to show you the latest upgrade we did for one of our customers a few days ago.
We retrofitted the Multifunctional Instrument Panel in an F13 built when this cluster was not yet available.
Thank you Hung for choosing BimmerTech!

This retrofit can be done in the following models: F01, F02, F06, F10, F11, F12, F13.

I think it looks just great!!! How do you guys like it?

Leave a Comment

You must be a registered member to comment on stories. Please take a moment to register for your free account now. If you already have an account, log in using fields below.

79 responses to 6WB Multifunctional Instrument Panel Retrofit

sw20 commented:
December 16, 2012, 10:56 am

Very nice!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Bimmer App
southern6er22 commented:
December 16, 2012, 11:57 am

Cool! About how much does it cost to do this on an F13?
TopDownInFL commented:
December 16, 2012, 12:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
cool! About how much does it cost to do this on an f13?
+1
hammadurb commented:
December 16, 2012, 1:35 pm

Can this be fitted to an F10 M5?
Patrys@BimmerTech commented:
December 17, 2012, 4:48 am

This retrofit is available in our web shop www.bimmer-tech.net/shop under the ConnectedDrive category.

Please send all your commercial questions by email at info@bimmer-tech.net as we are not allowed to use this part of the forum to sell our products.

I just wanted to share this great news with you
southern6er22 commented:
December 17, 2012, 7:08 am

Thanks for the info!

Here's a link to the exact page: http://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw-...panel-retrofit
heavylanding commented:
December 19, 2012, 2:50 pm

I have this option fitted to my new F11 and let me tell you it is AWESOME! Not only are the graphics very cool and legible, what none of the pictures show is that selected lists are made in the centre of the right hand dial, in combination with the thumbwheel on the right hand side of the steering wheel. This is incredibly clear and logical. Another benefit is that there are no semi-illuminated portions of the panel at night, as with the conventional part black panel. Navigation instructions 'float' in the centre as well as lane change and cruise proximity.
The little dials for oil temp and fuel level appear not to be LCD, but nicely hidden, so the effect is very consistent. I would recommend ordering this option to anyone...
dpharm650 commented:
December 21, 2012, 8:29 pm

Looks very nicely done. Maybe it's just me, but I prefer good 'ole real needles and gauges.
djsaad1 commented:
December 24, 2012, 8:11 pm

Anyone thinking about doing this? I just received my car today and am already wanting to get it.
southern6er22 commented:
December 24, 2012, 9:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
I just received my car today
Pics?
djsaad1 commented:
December 24, 2012, 9:23 pm

I wasn't going to take pics since I choose the same colors of the gran coupe in all the marketing material but I do have different wheels on, so I might as well. I will take some tomorrow during the day.

By the way, after seeing this video I got super impulsive and ordered the panel. This is what happens when you are Jewish and have nothing to do on Christmas eve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhzx6rlvfEI
southern6er22 commented:
December 24, 2012, 9:42 pm

Quote:
I wasn't going to take pics since I choose the same colors of the gran coupe in all the marketing material but I do have different wheels on, so I might as well. I will take some tomorrow during the day.

By the way, after seeing this video I got super impulsive and ordered the panel. This is what happens when you are Jewish and have nothing to do on Christmas eve.

lol. Can't wait to hear what you think about it. It's so cool, but I don't think I can justify it at this point. Looks like MY 2014 us going to be THE year for the F12/13. Maybe they'll fix the trunk and make the car (nearly) perfect.

Looking forward to the pics. Promo pics are great, but I prefer good owner pics that aren't quite so perfect. We don't get much variety around here, so I have to live (or see) vicariously through y'all.
Itinj6 commented:
December 25, 2012, 6:06 am

Quote:

A fellow tribesman

I would love to get this panel but I lease so hopefully it will be around and standard equipment when its time for the next one.

Mazel Tov on the purchase. Pics when you get it please

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Bimmer App
December 25, 2012, 10:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinj6 View Post
A fellow tribesman

I would love to get this panel but I lease so hopefully it will be around and standard equipment when its time for the next one.

Mazel Tov on the purchase. Pics when you get it please

The good thing about this retrofit is that once it's done you can easily swap both clusters without any additional coding/programming.
When your lease is over you can sell the instrument panel.
djsaad1 commented:
December 25, 2012, 1:42 pm

Quote:
lol. Can't wait to hear what you think about it. It's so cool, but I don't think I can justify it at this point. Looks like MY 2014 us going to be THE year for the F12/13. Maybe they'll fix the trunk and make the car (nearly) perfect.

Looking forward to the pics. Promo pics are great, but I prefer good owner pics that aren't quite so perfect. We don't get much variety around here, so I have to live (or see) vicariously through y'all.
Posted the pics in the gran coupe forum. Not sure why they are not showing up as images but the links work.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...45#post7270345
southern6er22 commented:
December 25, 2012, 5:34 pm

Beautiful car. I'm sure you get all of the admiring looks in that GC.
Itinj6 commented:
December 25, 2012, 10:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys@BimmerTech View Post
The good thing about this retrofit is that once it's done you can easily swap both clusters without any additional coding/programming.
When your lease is over you can sell the instrument panel.
"Easily swap" huh... hmmm. Sooo tempting.

It's true plug and play? Any wire cutting/splicing? Will it work with all my factory installed options that easily?

Jenki

December 26, 2012, 5:28 am

Quote:
"Easily swap" huh... hmmm. Sooo tempting.

It's true plug and play? Any wire cutting/splicing? Will it work with all my factory installed options that easily?

Jenki

Look at the install video posted by djaaad1.
When you unplug the old cluster and plug the new one we need to program your car once over the Internet to finalize this retrofit.
When the new instrument panel is retrofitted you can just swap both cluster whenever you want.
It's that simple
Itinj6 commented:
December 26, 2012, 6:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys@BimmerTech View Post
Look at the install video posted by djaaad1.
When you unplug the old cluster and plug the new one we need to program your car once over the Internet to finalize this retrofit.
When the new instrument panel is retrofitted you can just swap both cluster whenever you want.
It's that simple
You're killing me man lol.

djsaad1 commented:
December 26, 2012, 7:44 pm

Quote:
You're killing me man lol.

lol, they are slowly convincing you. At least you have more restraint than I do.
December 27, 2012, 4:50 pm

Quote:
lol, they are slowly convincing you. At least you have more restraint than I do.
radd commented:
January 14, 2013, 2:44 am

this looks nice. can't wait for my f10 from the dealer
long time commented:
January 14, 2013, 6:35 am

Until I'm out of warranty I would not make a modification like this. One look at the dealership and they will blame everything under the sun on this type of change.
January 26, 2013, 6:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by long time View Post
Until I'm out of warranty I would not make a modification like this. One look at the dealership and they will blame everything under the sun on this type of change.
It's not really an issue. You can swap the clusters yourself in minutes whenever you want to take your car to BMW. No additional coding/programming required.
Nison commented:
February 27, 2013, 4:06 pm

received the kombi today, cant wait to get it programmed
Nison commented:
March 9, 2013, 8:40 am

http://youtu.be/AiMFlmMSn24?sc
southern6er22 commented:
March 9, 2013, 8:58 am

Very cool video.
BMR2009 commented:
March 26, 2013, 7:01 pm

I have an 09, can I retrofit the panel?
Nison commented:
March 26, 2013, 7:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR2009 View Post
No, it's for f series only
shawnsheridan commented:
March 26, 2013, 11:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR2009 View Post
Yes, you should be able to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nison View Post
No, it's for f series only
His 2009 750Li is an F01.
Sandytop commented:
March 27, 2013, 9:56 pm

What if your 2012 Nav does not support Eco Mode. I have read that your nav unit needs to be built later than June '12 to have Eco Mode. Can the Nav unit be retrofit'd to include the Eco Mode option?
Nison commented:
March 27, 2013, 10:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Yes, you should be able to.

His 2009 750Li is an F01.
Sorry I assume its a 6 series since its a 6 series forum...
Nison commented:
March 27, 2013, 10:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandytop View Post
What if your 2012 Nav does not support Eco Mode. I have read that your nav unit needs to be built later than June '12 to have Eco Mode. Can the Nav unit be retrofit'd to include the Eco Mode option?
We are able to code the 2011 nav unit to have the Eco pro functions, I just can't get the car to engage Eco pro mode.
djsaad1 commented:
May 4, 2013, 1:35 pm

Andreo,

Here are some pics of the red line between the speed limit and actual speed. I also took some more of the phone list and music list. Sorry about the flash, had no clue it was on.
southern6er22 commented:
May 4, 2013, 6:14 pm

Very cool. And I think I can forgive the glare and off center shot since you were going 87 mph; 2 mph less and it would be unacceptable!
shawnsheridan commented:
May 4, 2013, 7:50 pm

Quote:
very cool. And i think i can forgive the glare and off center shot since you were going 87 mph; 2 mph less and it would be unacceptable!
+1
andreo commented:
May 4, 2013, 9:23 pm

Quote:
Andreo,

Here are some pics of the red line between the speed limit and actual speed. I also took some more of the phone list and music list. Sorry about the flash, had no clue it was on.
Thanks djsaad1. That's helpful. I suppose these red lines appear only when speed limits are detected (which unfortunately is not supported in my region). What about self-imposed limits set using the LIM button on the steering wheel? Do you have that function on your vehicle?

BTW, how you even managed to capture a shot at 87mph remains a wonder. Drive safe.
southern6er22 commented:
May 4, 2013, 10:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreo View Post
What about self-imposed limits set using the LIM button on the steering wheel? Do you have that function on your vehicle?
We don't have that as far as I know. Will you post a pic of your steering wheel and describe what the button does?

We can set a limit where there's a gong if you hit it. I have to turn it off whenever my mom's in the car because she takes it as a sign of imminent death and apocalyptic events.
djsaad1 commented:
May 5, 2013, 12:34 am

Quote:
We don't have that as far as I know. Will you post a pic of your steering wheel and describe what the button does?

We can set a limit where there's a gong if you hit it. I have to turn it off whenever my mom's in the car because she takes it as a sign of imminent death and apocalyptic events.
You can code LIM onto a U.S car, I just haven't done it. I will code it this weekend and let you know how the 6wb reacts.

Here is a good description of what LIM does.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&highlight=lim
Nison commented:
May 5, 2013, 12:45 am

Quote:
You can code LIM onto a U.S car, I just haven't done it. I will code it this weekend and let you know how the 6wb reacts.

Here is a good description of what LIM does.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&highlight=lim
well i have lim activated but i dont have the double red line when it's activated.
andreo commented:
May 5, 2013, 11:43 am

Quote:

The LIM button can be found on the left side of the steering wheel. When you press the button, it captures the current speed or 30km/h (whichever higher) and sets it as the ceiling speed of your throttle. The LIM light turns on, the captured speed is briefly displayed at the bottom part of the speedometer and a green dot appears on the outer part of the speedometer ring (you can spot it in the photo at the 54 km/h and 30 km/h mark but it's quite faint). Once set, you can use the left jog dial to adjust the ceiling. Gently tap up or down to adjust by 1 km/h increment or decrement. Push dial past resistance point to adjust to the next 10km/h up or down.

So for example, if your speed is set at 88km/h, you can accelerate until the speed reaches 88 km/h and the car maintains speed at 88 km/h, even when the pedal is still depressed. If you depress the pedal a little more or kick it down, the speed ceiling will temporarily be disabled and you can speed up. This is necessary in case of emergencies.

I am hoping that the 6WB display will show the actual ceiling speed on the speedometer ring instead of a nondescript green dot which is quite hard to spot especially when you are traveling at "optimum" ticket-free speeds.
shawnsheridan commented:
May 5, 2013, 12:21 pm

Similarly, what does 6WB show for Cruise Control setting on outside dial?

Does it just have a mark (dot) or the actual Speed Setting?
andreo commented:
May 5, 2013, 12:26 pm

+1. Cruise control shows as an orange dot in the standard instrument cluster.

There are some green speed markings in the OP's pics. I wonder whether those are speed limits from Cruise Control or LIM. Any opinions?
Nison commented:
May 5, 2013, 12:28 pm

they look exact same as my original instrument cluster, little orange arrow when you set the speed, it turns green when you engage it.
shawnsheridan commented:
May 5, 2013, 12:44 pm

Then what is the 72 showing on the dial in both Orange and Green here:

http://imageshack.us/a/img515/127/image2vz.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img801/3839/image3mv.jpg

Is that not the actual Cruise Control Speed?

Maybe only in Sport Mode it appears, and in Comfort or EcoPro, you get only the dial indicator without the actual Speed setting?
djsaad1 commented:
May 5, 2013, 1:48 pm

I haven't tested cruise control, I will go out for a ride now and let you know.
djsaad1 commented:
May 5, 2013, 2:05 pm

Ok so when in comfort mode, it's a green arrow no speed. It shows the cruise control speed at the bottom (where the green car is in the pic) for a few seconds but then disappears. Although in all modes the cruise control speed is on the HUD.

In sport mode the arrow is still there but also shows the speed, again the speed is also on the HUD. I will try to code LIM today and test out how it shows it.
shawnsheridan commented:
May 5, 2013, 2:11 pm

Quote:
Ok so when in comfort mode, it's a green arrow no speed. It shows the cruise control speed at the bottom (where the green car is in the pic) for a few seconds but then disappears. Although in all modes the cruise control speed is on the HUD.

In sport mode the arrow is still there but also shows the speed, again the speed is also on the HUD. I will try to code LIM today and test out how it shows it.
Thanks for tetsing. So, it is exactly as I said it was. I wish they would have made it so the CC Speed showed in all FDS Modes though.
djsaad1 commented:
May 5, 2013, 2:17 pm

Quote:
Thanks for tetsing. So, it is exactly as I said it was. I wish they would have made it so the CC Speed showed in all FDS Modes though.
I will look through the DKOMBI module to see if I can find anything that would keep the speed on in all modes. Although if you have HUD, then it really doesn't matter.
shawnsheridan commented:
May 5, 2013, 2:23 pm

Quote:
I will look through the DKOMBI module to see if I can find anything that would keep the speed on in all modes. Although if you have HUD, then it really doesn't matter.
No. I don't have HUD.
andreo commented:
May 5, 2013, 8:54 pm

Unlike cruise control, LIM setting does not show up on the HUD with the standard instrument cluster, not even briefly. It does not look likely that it will be any different with the 6WB. I can only hope.

DJ, please do share what you discover.
AdamG13 commented:
May 5, 2013, 11:28 pm

Looks awesome. Is this going to be standard on 2014 6 series? I thought I saw someone say they received their '14 and it didn't have it. I don't know what's taking BMW so long to introduce these in the US already, as they indicated in the 2013 7 Series promotional video that it was one of the features that'd be standard on that MY - but it still hasn't happened.
andreo commented:
May 5, 2013, 11:43 pm

Quote:

I was unable to resist any further. Order placed with Patryk. Yes, I AM weak when it comes to stuff like these.

According to him, the 6WB can easily be swapped out without any reprogramming and all the extra info on the HUD will be restored when the original cluster is reattached. Have you tried it since installing the 6WB?
andreo commented:
May 6, 2013, 1:26 am

One more question djsaad1. I am aware that the entertainment info is not replicated on the HUD with the 6WB cluster. What about the telephone info?
djsaad1 commented:
May 6, 2013, 11:16 am

Quote:
I was unable to resist any further. Order placed with Patryk. Yes, I AM weak when it comes to stuff like these.

According to him, the 6WB can easily be swapped out without any reprogramming and all the extra info on the HUD will be restored when the original cluster is reattached. Have you tried it since installing the 6WB?
At least you had some restraint. I ordered it the day he announced it.

I didn't get a chance to code LIM last night, but I will do it tonight. The phone list doesn't show up on the hud either.

Do you do any coding? I have a great night vision camera code that Jeg23 shared with me. It gives you pedestrian alerts on the HUD and 6WB even when the camera isn't on. It makes the night vision camera much more useful since I barely ever have it on.
andreo commented:
May 6, 2013, 11:53 am

Quote:
At least you had some restraint. I ordered it the day he announced it.

I didn't get a chance to code LIM last night, but I will do it tonight. The phone list doesn't show up on the hud either.

Do you do any coding? I have a great night vision camera code that Jeg23 shared with me. It gives you pedestrian alerts on the HUD and 6WB even when the camera isn't on. It makes the night vision camera much more useful since I barely ever have it on.
I was afraid that I will lose the telephone on the HUD as well. Oh well. Hopefully the 6WB experience is worth it.

The pedestrian detection sounds interesting. I hardly have NV on too. Reminds me of the busy street chase scene with the i8 in Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. Do you have any pics to share?

No, I don't do any coding but will get Patryk to include that mod when he does the programming for the 6WB. Is there a specific name for this mod? It will help me specify the coding correctly to him. Tks in advance.
djsaad1 commented:
May 6, 2013, 3:32 pm

It would be hard to take a pic, I would have to get someone to run in front of the car and snap a picture real quick. It basically flashes an icon of a yellow person walking, and if it thinks you are getting too close too fast it will beep as well. It's pretty much the same as the forward alert just with a person instead of a car. The person also doesn't have to be right in front of the car, it warns you if it thinks the person is going to walk in front of you. So if it sees a person walking perpendicular to you towards the street it will warn you before he actually starts crossing the street. Night vision camera does this either way, the difference with this code is that the camera doesn't have to be on.

I wouldn't try it though unless you do coding yourself since this code really has only been tested by him and myself and he is having some issues with it on his F10. I will PM you a list of codes I think you would like and that Patryks guy could easily do.
andreo commented:
May 6, 2013, 6:07 pm

Lol, it certainly would be difficult to snap a pic, especially when the car has to be traveling at a certain speed with a pedestrian in its path. I suppose the HUD indicators are identical to those when the NV cam is on anyway.

Could you PM me over at 6Post instead? I don't think my PM is activated yet on this forum. Still a newbie. Thanks.
andreo commented:
May 27, 2013, 9:44 pm

Folks, here are a few pics of how LIM looks like in the various drive modes after the 6WB cluster upgrade.

It shows LIMIT at the bottom of the speedo dial and a green triangle appears at the set speed. Markings on the speedo beyond the set limit for Comfort and Eco Pro modes are removed to only indicate the allowable speeds. If the vehicle goes beyond the set speed limit, the LIMIT sign will blink.

Overall, this function is vastly improved over the 6WA implementation.
Nison commented:
May 27, 2013, 9:57 pm

for some reason mine shows all the speed with the Limit on.
andreo commented:
May 27, 2013, 10:54 pm

Quote:
That's odd. Did the LIMIT function come with the car or coded? There may be some codes that need to be set in order for the display to respond accordingly. Shawn to the rescue? Let me know if you need me to help check any specific codes for comparison.
andreo commented:
May 27, 2013, 11:04 pm

Quote:
Did you finally code LIM? Does the speedo display respond to the LIM setting by removing non-applicable speeds on the dial? It seems to behave inconsistently for different cars. See last couple of posts.
Nison commented:
May 28, 2013, 12:11 am

Quote:
That's odd. Did the LIMIT function come with the car or coded? There may be some codes that need to be set in order for the display to respond accordingly. Shawn to the rescue? Let me know if you need me to help check any specific codes for comparison.
yeah, i enabled the limit function through coding, big thanks to JEG23 again for the discovery. wonder if there's a code to change or i need a firmware update to the kombi.
shawnsheridan commented:
May 28, 2013, 12:11 am

Quote:
How are you exceeding the set Limit by 15 mph? I thought the whole purpose of it was you could not go any faster then then the set limit?
Nison commented:
May 28, 2013, 12:16 am

Quote:
How are you exceeding the set Limit by 15 mph? I thought the whole purpose of it was you could not go any faster then then the set limit?
i was trying to see if it will show the red area as when you exceed SLI limit, just keep you foot down and it will override the limit setting and the green limit symbol will blink
andreo commented:
May 28, 2013, 12:18 am

Quote:
It is possible to go faster than the set limit by design. You just need to push the pedal down further and the speed will go beyond the set limit after 2-3 seconds. When that happens, the LIMIT sign starts blinking. Once you ease off the pedal, the speed will return to the set limit.
andreo commented:
May 28, 2013, 12:21 am

Quote:
yeah, i enabled the limit function through coding, big thanks to JEG23 again for the discovery. wonder if there's a code to change or i need a firmware update to the kombi.
We can figure out whether it is firmware-related once we get a confirmation from djsaad1. He upgraded to 6WB as soon as it became available.
djsaad1 commented:
May 28, 2013, 3:54 am

I am still out of town and haven't tested it yet. But I would look in Dkombi 3000 and see if this code is active or nicht aktiv.

WARNUNG_GESCHW_LIMIT
andreo commented:
May 28, 2013, 4:29 am

Quote:
I am still out of town and haven't tested it yet. But I would look in Dkombi 3000 and see if this code is active or nicht aktiv.

WARNUNG_GESCHW_LIMIT
It is nicht_aktiv for my case. What does it do anyway?
djsaad1 commented:
May 28, 2013, 4:42 am

Quote:
It is nicht_aktiv for my case. What does it do anyway?
I was hoping that was the code to change the LIM display but if its not aktiv on yours then that isn't it. I am sure it's just a missed code somewhere.
andreo commented:
May 28, 2013, 4:58 am

Quote:
I was hoping that was the code to change the LIM display but if its not aktiv on yours then that isn't it. I am sure it's just a missed code somewhere.
I believe the missing feature isn't exactly a warning but more of a speedometer dial display variant.
djsaad1 commented:
May 28, 2013, 5:12 am

Quote:
I believe the missing feature isn't exactly a warning but more of a speedometer dial display variant.
I just took a look at JEG23's thread, My ICM is different than his, I don't have some of those codes. I might need you to email me your ICM ncd and Kombi ncd to activate it.
andreo commented:
May 28, 2013, 5:48 am

Quote:
I just took a look at JEG23's thread, My ICM is different than his, I don't have some of those codes. I might need you to email me your ICM ncd and Kombi ncd to activate it.
Sure. Let me know what to do.

Edit: NCDs sent.
djsaad1 commented:
May 30, 2013, 10:20 am

Mine looks just like andreos. But our icm is different, it might have been updated for the my13.
andreo commented:
May 30, 2013, 10:30 am

My car is jul-2012 production. Is that MY12 or MY13?
djsaad1 commented:
May 30, 2013, 11:06 am

It looks like MY13 production started in July so yours should be a 2013.

http://jon.bimmerfest.com/bulletins/MY2013Retail.pdf
andreo commented:
May 30, 2013, 12:12 pm

Quote:
It looks like MY13 production started in July so yours should be a 2013.

http://jon.bimmerfest.com/bulletins/MY2013Retail.pdf
Got it. Tks.
ausdude commented:
August 17, 2013, 12:03 pm

Does anyone know a good resource to purchase a new and not used instrument cluster? Thanks in advance!!
andreo commented:
August 17, 2013, 2:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausdude View Post
Does anyone know a good resource to purchase a new and not used instrument cluster? Thanks in advance!!
I got mine from Bimmer-Tech.

http://www.bimmer-tech.net

They will ship the cluster to you and perform a remote coding session to activate the cluster.