BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

People Switched from E90 to F30 - Please comment

139K views 594 replies 94 participants last post by  sle39lvr 
#1 ·
I am currently a E90 owner, an I am starting to like my car more and more everyday.

Other than what's on paper, I want to know what are your thoughts on living with E90 day to day vs F30.

I heard everywhere that the interior quality has improved over E90. I recently got to sit in a F30 and I do have to say they Did cut back on 'soft-touch' plastic on certain surfaces.

#313 ·
Currently in a 2013 F30 xdrive loaner. I dont track but I can immediately feel the steering is too soft and does not have as much feedback. I can live with it, but I feel like im driving a van. Interior is nicer, better seats, better console position, overall, I am more comfortable than in a e90. I still have the complaint of the idrive screen being too far into the dash. I rather have it integrated in the middle console like other makers. thank god that hump is gone, but not so much better having a slab on the table.

At the end of the day, would I prefer the F30: yes
Is the F30 better than the e90: I would say they are equal if you add/minus all the points

Now the wait for the F32...

#318 ·
#326 · (Edited)
I cross shop and cross own multiple brands. I'm not loyal to one brand and fortunately an equal opportunity car lover. I have an MB E350 and it serves the purpose for which I purchased it for well, yet I would consider a 5 series when it is time to replace it as well as another E. I have a Cayenne S, but would not likely consider an MB ML as a replacement. I might consider an X5, but with knowledge the new version will be out shortly, I would not likely replace with an X5 until the new model is released. I have a Boxster S, and would be hard pressed to replace that car with SLK, but might consider a Z4, but in all likelihood, replace with another Boxster S. My wife has an Audi, and she would consider multiple brands,including Audi, for a replacement. I'm looking at smaller sedans now, which is where my interest in the F30 comes into play. This will be an addition versus a replacement. I want something larger and less sports car-like than the Boxster, but less sedate than the E350. I'm leaning towards the 335, but would also consider an S4/S5, and would also consider a 4 series if it were available. I would not likely consider a C-Class, and I have no interest in cross shopping Cadillacs. I guess I don't fit the brand loyalist mold.

#355 · (Edited)

Edit:

After I posted this I remembered that last summer I was walking by the Ferrari Showroom in Park Ave. and there were several Ferraris parked on the street and roped off. There were security guards and a lot of photographers. I asked what was going on and was told it was a promotional event for a watch company. I don't remember which watch manufacturer it was although I know it was not Girard Perregaux who at one time made "Official" Ferrari watches,

CA

#358 ·
As the OP, I got one more thing to state:

I love how the F30 looks. May be not the nose, but rest of the car is beautiful in comparison to E90.

However, the interior, I really can't take seriously. It just looks way too 'utilitarian' to me. This is how we dreamed of Honda Civic interiors would look in the future from back in the day. Even with the new 4 series concept, no matter how much I lust after the exterior design, I can't believe they did such an interior design for F30 series.

There is so much cost cutting in the material. I cant believe they used hard materiel, just as you would find them on a Corolla just under the HVAC controls. Same with the center console sides, that's somewhere that you bound to touch more than one would think. I hated the E90 interior design first, but when you live with it for awhile, you realize that the material is high quality (at least comparatively) but only the textures that they used made the material look cheaper.

Some design elements have hard joints where two materials meet and they just look abrupt to me. (Notice the purple arrow). Every time I drive over a bump, I am always checking to see if that joint moves.... just small petpeeves. Bangle wouldn't have done it that way, no matter how much I despite him.

#367 ·
As the OP, I got one more thing to state:

I love how the F30 looks. May be not the nose, but rest of the car is beautiful in comparison to E90.

However, the interior, I really can't take seriously. It just looks way too 'utilitarian' to me. This is how we dreamed of Honda Civic interiors would look in the future from back in the day. Even with the new 4 series concept, no matter how much I lust after the exterior design, I can't believe they did such an interior design for F30 series.

There is so much cost cutting in the material. I cant believe they used hard materiel, just as you would find them on a Corolla just under the HVAC controls. Same with the center console sides, that's somewhere that you bound to touch more than one would think. I hated the E90 interior design first, but when you live with it for awhile, you realize that the material is high quality (at least comparatively) but only the textures that they used made the material look cheaper.
This is such nonsense.

I owned an E93 and an E90 and can tell you definitively that the materials you refer to are identical. In fact, the two touch-points that used to make me sore on long trips in the E90 no longer do so in the F30. My left elbow (I lean it on the window sill) and my left shin (I lean it on the lower door storage pocket) no longer feel bruised after a 5 hour cruise. And it's not because the material is softer; it's because the curvature of the plastic has been adjusted to a more comfortable angle.

And as far as the design being 'utilitarian'? Are you kidding? The E90 interior was about as spartan as it gets, was designed straight out of 1975 with no curves, no flair, no panache. Was as boring as it gets.

The F30's exterior is evolutionary from the E90. The F30's interior is revolutionary. 70% of the difference between the two models is found in the interior. It's remarkably comfortable, functional, and fresh.

BJ

#359 ·
Those points you called out, I don't see them being done in anything other than plastic. Same points I remember being hard plastic in the e90 as well. Those are not touch points, so I don't see the point of taking money and putting soft touch materials there. Bangle would have nothing to do with it either, he was more in charge of he exterior.

#360 ·
Those are absolutely touch points. The E90 has soft touch materials there.

#362 ·
Interior is great overall. The worst thing is the glove box. That is a clunky piece of ...

But everytime I open or close the doors and here that thunk, it's all good.

Lighting, ergo, seats, center stack, are well designed.

#372 ·
Looked at / test drove two 2013 328is today, a Melbourne Red with black Dakota, Sport line, Premium and a Modern line Black Saphire with Dakota Saddle Brown.

TL;DR: The F30 is a better sports sedan than the equivalent E90 - and - it is 100% a BMW.

Non-Driving review of the Red 328i Sport:

High quality materials, fit and finish. The Navi screen position is odd at first but not noticed after 30 seconds. The Speedo and tach are smallish, but ok. Don't like silver ring surrounding. No cover to cup holder, but later found it in glove box. Very BMW feel to steering wheel. Mat in trunk is a nice touch. Plastic of covered trunk struts? Fuel door is a bit bigger. Sport line is very attractive - red piping looks sharp.

Cup cover in small net in glove box is good, plus the net is cool. The other small net on back left is also a nice touch. Auto shift lever kinda looks odd. Modern?

The dash and controls canted to driver. Reminds me more of my E46. This is good. The Glove box feels tinny. Ok, No big deal. The In Dash LCD are cool below the gauges. Nice Led lights at top center. Good. Headliner good material weave good. Pirelli Cinturato P7s. Solid disks, Rear disks look smallish. M seats nice. Good support.

Driving review of the black Modern Line:

I test drove the black modern line 328i over a short 1.5 mile course. Excellent power. No noticeable turbo rattle at idle w window open. Great handling. Brakes firm and supportive. Transmission hesitation on spin up, but very very quick to downshift, and it seemed any turbo lag coincided with kickdown for quick reaction. Excellent road feel and steering on normal roads. Compliant suspension.

Car left in normal, not Eco or sport.

Color me impressed.

#377 ·
Looked at / test drove two 2013 328is today, a Melbourne Red with black Dakota, Sport line, Premium and a Modern line Black Saphire with Dakota Saddle Brown.

TL;DR: The F30 is a better sports sedan than the equivalent E90 - and - it is 100% a BMW.

Non-Driving review of the Red 328i Sport:

High quality materials, fit and finish. The Navi screen position is odd at first but not noticed after 30 seconds. The Speedo and tach are smallish, but ok. Don't like silver ring surrounding. No cover to cup holder, but later found it in glove box. Very BMW feel to steering wheel. Mat in trunk is a nice touch. Plastic of covered trunk struts? Fuel door is a bit bigger. Sport line is very attractive - red piping looks sharp.

Cup cover in small net in glove box is good, plus the net is cool. The other small net on back left is also a nice touch. Auto shift lever kinda looks odd. Modern?

The dash and controls canted to driver. Reminds me more of my E46. This is good. The Glove box feels tinny. Ok, No big deal. The In Dash LCD are cool below the gauges. Nice Led lights at top center. Good. Headliner good material weave good. Pirelli Cinturato P7s. Solid disks, Rear disks look smallish. M seats nice. Good support.

Driving review of the black Modern Line:

I test drove the black modern line 328i over a short 1.5 mile course. Excellent power. No noticeable turbo rattle at idle w window open. Great handling. Brakes firm and supportive. Transmission hesitation on spin up, but very very quick to downshift, and it seemed any turbo lag coincided with kickdown for quick reaction. Excellent road feel and steering on normal roads. Compliant suspension.

Car left in normal, not Eco or sport.

Color me impressed.
The interior design of the F30 is way ahead of the one in the E90. It is a little busy but it makes the E90 interior look very old. Also the LCI E90 is starting to look dated next to the F30. I can't comment on long term quality of materials in the F30 but my E90 has some visible wear and tear peeling near the window controls, on the steering wheel and on the outside shadow line trim. As far as the F30 being a better sports sedan than the E90, I know a lot of BMW enthusiasts and majority of automotive publications would disagree. The same can be said about E46 > E90.

#375 ·
Based on wheels, the black one was a Luxury, not a Modern Line. They both have the same suspension though, so driving the Sport would have given you a different experience.

#379 · (Edited)
I decided to post a few before and after photos comparing changes by BMW and MB. Since MB has yet updated the C Class I used GLK350. Changes in the MB is more drastic. It also seems to go well with its emphasis on luxury, with the retro look.

BMW's changes are not as drastic, but more importantly, it does not make me feel the look is sportier, which should be BMW's emphasis. Instead it tries to look more luxurious, but as evident, MB has this part mastered. They are just better at offering more luxury feel.

#383 · (Edited)
this is my first BMW, and the only reason why is because i thought the e90's had poor ergonomics, a dated interior, and frankly not as luxurious as their competitors...

That all changed when i sat in the F30. The ultimate combination of technology, performance, and reasonable luxury at a price that is relatively competitive.

#386 ·
Here is an interior picture of a 1980 BMW 320i, which is (was) typical of German auto interiors. They were spartan with very good ergonomics. It is function over form, and is what separated BMW, Porsche and Mercedes from the American and Japanese counterparts.

From many of the posts in this thread, it would appear that the current buyers prefer form over function. I guess I'm wondering what separates German cars like BMWs from the American and Japanese cars today?

#387 ·
Here is an interior picture of a 1980 BMW 320i, which is (was) typical of German auto interiors. They were spartan with very good ergonomics. It is function over form, and is what separated BMW, Porsche and Mercedes from the American and Japanese counterparts.
I remember when Mercedes would take this 'form over function' to an extreme; even the most expensive models had a manual adjustment for the driver's door mirror! (although driver's window was still electric!) One of my favorite cars ever which my older brother had, 560SEC had this. Man that car was fun to drive what an engine...:)

#389 · (Edited)
My 2012 Porsche Carrera interior that retains the German function over form, IMO. I love this interior layout because it does not get in the way of (complicate) my driving experience.

#394 ·
Anyone looking for an ultimate driving machine, F30 is not for you. F30 has lost the great control E90 had (Altough it was not as good as E46, but E90 was still fun). Dampers are too soft and bouncy. There is more body roll than e90.

Good power, good design, great gas mileage, ok materials used inside, nice steering but bit too soft. If I could, I would replace it with an E90 today!!!!

Commenting after owning 4 3-series in last 9 years, and driving 15K miles on current 328i Sports Line.

#397 ·
Is there a general consensus that E46 is a way better "driver's car" than both E90 and F30? I test drove an E46 M3 just today and felt that it had better traction but the suspension was too harsh and overall, not very impressive.

#395 ·
Everyone has different definition of a good car, and everyone is looking for something different in a good car. If you are looking for brand name, design, looks, gas mileage, sleek interior, and silky ride, you should get F30.

All I look for in a BMW is power and control. F30 has the power but very little control. On E46 or E90 I could easily make a quick turn at 120mph, but on F30 that would result in killing myself.

If you have the money, buy a F30 and install after market coilovers, then you would have ultimate driving machine.

#403 ·
Looks like they might have improved things with the 4 series:

"Beginning with the parameters and components of the 3-series, the chassis of the 4-series has been significantly reworked, BMW says, for added agility. The center of gravity is lower than on any other BMW today, the front section of the car has been stiffened, and the steering and front suspension has been tweaked to generate significantly more direct responses to steering input, as BMW says-a tacit admission that there was room to improve upon the steering of the 3-series."

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2014-bmw-4-series-photos-and-info-news

#404 ·
#425 ·
I've got a 2011 335i, and my wife has a 2013 328i Sport which she got in December.

I LOVE the feel and handling of her car, particularly in Sport mode. Makes my car feel like a luxury sedan. When I first drove a car with that new 8 speed shifter, I was turned off. The new shifter is growing on me, but there's something to be said for the simplicity of the shifter in my 335i, and my previous 330i. Although I'm one that always felt you should move the stick forward to up shift...BMW is sticking with this particular behavior.

I have a 2013 M-Sport that's "on the boat" right now...can't wait!

#426 ·
I've got a 2011 335i, and my wife has a 2013 328i Sport which she got in December.

I LOVE the feel and handling of her car, particularly in Sport mode. Makes my car feel like a luxury sedan. When I first drove a car with that new 8 speed shifter, I was turned off. The new shifter is growing on me, but there's something to be said for the simplicity of the shifter in my 335i, and my previous 330i. Although I'm one that always felt you should move the stick forward to up shift...BMW is sticking with this particular behavior.

I have a 2013 M-Sport that's "on the boat" right now...can't wait!
Interesting, does your 2011 335i have Sports/M Sports, and is your 2013 328i equipped with Dynamic Handling Package?

I don't really like the standard 8 speed shifter, but I think the sports automatic 8 speed shifter looks so much better and gives a better grip as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.