BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

People Switched from E90 to F30 - Please comment

139K views 594 replies 94 participants last post by  sle39lvr 
#1 ·
I am currently a E90 owner, an I am starting to like my car more and more everyday.

Other than what's on paper, I want to know what are your thoughts on living with E90 day to day vs F30.

I heard everywhere that the interior quality has improved over E90. I recently got to sit in a F30 and I do have to say they Did cut back on 'soft-touch' plastic on certain surfaces.

#433 · (Edited)
I have an E90 with the $1,500 optional sports suspension and an F30 with the $400 optional sports suspension. My only comment is that "you get what you pay for". The E90 handles MUCH better than the F30 around corners. The F30 handles quite well at high speeds, but can't compare to the E90 at lower speeds. The E90 also takes speed bumps much better than the F30. I pretty much ignored them when driving the E90, but I can't do that with the F30. The stock F30 stereo is much better than the E90's stereo and I love the fact that I can play lossless music (WAV files) from flash drives (I have two 128GB flash drives and one 64GB flash drive that hold music from 500 CDs - very convenient!).

The F30 has a smoother ride and feels very comfortable on smooth pavement and on long trips. That said, I prefer the "feel the road" experience that the E90 gave me.

#448 · (Edited)
It is a bit extraordinary that this is published online TODAY. I was sure that it was something at least 1 yo but it was published in the mag a few months ago.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/news/new-cars/go-news-new-cars-bmw-328i-vs-bmw-328i-65-1-roa0813

Road&Track said:
In terms of real-world speed, the two cars are evenly matched, posting identical results on the 5-to-60-mph rolling-start test, where the naturally aspirated six's instant response beats the four's turbo lag. On the conventional 0***8211;60 run, the more powerful four-banger is 0.4 second quicker-and as speeds increase, the new car pulls ever farther ahead. Add to that its enormous 6-mpg EPA-combined-rating bonus, and it seems like the downsized turbo engine, with its direct injection and auto stop/start system, finally pulls a big lead on the old car.

Not so fast. In real-world driving, we observed a gain of less than 1.5 mpg. At that rate, all of the new car's expensive technology would save a tank (roughly 17.5 gallons) of fuel every 10,000 miles. Is that trade-off worth it?

Nope. Our decision was unanimous: We liked the old car better, if only by a slight margin. And later, when we hopped into a post-face-lift, Sport-package-equipped E90 328i, it was game over for the F30. No contest.

As a premium luxury vehicle with all manner of tech gizmos, the new 328i might equal-or better-the old. But for driving enthusiasts, the E90 remains the benchmark. The F30 might be bigger and prettier, but to us, it's not necessarily better.
Ouch!

#451 ·
Not sure if that's a good article. It seems their decision was based solely on arbitrary personal opinions, not facts. Let's see...

According to them, the F30 looks better, is faster, has a more comfortable ride, has better fuel economy (No idea how they got only 1.5mpg difference by the way. I'm getting noticeably better mpg in my F30 335 than I had in my E90 328), and the steering between the two is a "toss-up" (surprisingly).

So where is the reason that E90 is better? Because it has less wind noise from the moonroof? Or is it the "cheap materials" in the F30, which have been brought up here before and completely disproved?

The one thing they're right about is that the I6 sounds better than the I4. Well duh. But the 335i F30 has the same exact engine as the E90, so if you compare those, even this negative goes out the window. They go on to say that when they compared the F30 to the Sport E90, it became "no contest". And yet they don't provide a single reason as to why.

Honestly, this article sounds like their only answer to "Why is E90 better than F30?" is "Because we feel that it is". That's not very good journalism.

#453 · (Edited)
The reaction to the Road & Track article will be the same as the reaction to all other reviews on this forum. When posters agree with the review the reviewers are knowledgeable experts. When posters don't agree the reviewers are idiots that are full of crap and were probably bought off by advertising dollars.

They very clearly stated that they liked the E90 better, not that the E90 was necessarily a better car than the F30.

#454 ·
They very clearly stated that they liked the E90 better, not that the E90 was necessarily a better car than the F30.
The key is, those are two very different things. Many people who cling to either side of the argument don't seem to remember that.

#455 ·
Unless you just like playing with words - yes they did

And later, when we hopped into a post-face-lift, Sport-package-equipped E90 328i, it was game over for the F30. No contest.
The F30 might be bigger and prettier, but to us, it's not necessarily better.

#462 ·
Haven't you been clinging to the fact that in 5-60 rolling tests from different times and scenarios that the E90 328 showed a 4 tenth advantage over the F30 328? Isn't that the figure you whipped out and dismissed 0-60/0-100/1/4/trap speed as abusive?

Here in your test you have both cars tested at the same time by the same people. Is it my eyes or am I seeing no 5-60mph advantage at all?
The article claims 6.7s for *both*. Marginal real life mpg advantage for the N20.

*** What they claim is essentially what I have told you for a year now. ***

Yeah the E90 is just more interesting to drive and I am glad that they put the focus on the engine.

#463 ·
The article claims 6.7s for *both*. Marginal real life mpg advantage for the N20.

*** What they claim is essentially what I have told you for a year now. ***

Yeah the E90 is just more interesting to drive and I am glad that they put the focus on the engine.
No, you claimed for a year now that where it matter most(to you) in non abusive testing the E90 328 is faster than the F30 328.

Here we have a definitive answer as both cars were tested head to head.

You were wrong. It's ok-you can admit it.

There is no figure that the E90 was faster in, and in the one where you claimed the E90 would be faster, it was not.

25mpg vs 27mpg, marginal to some, nearly 10% difference in fuel economy is what every manufacturer is fighting to achieve in a redesign. Saddle that same dinky E90 with grown up wheels and more content like the F30 and it's 25mpg will suffer. With the F30 you get a 30% stiffer unibody, more standard safety gear, more tech, more room, and you do not pay a MPG penalty, in fact you get an improvement.

But wait, here comes your argument.

That in fantasy land, you know where such a thing does not exist, BMW instead makes a N52 derivative that with DI and more development would have been more efficient and faster than the N20. I know I know. :bigpimp:

#468 ·
It seems we can keep going around and around on this issue and never get anywhere. After numerous test drives in the F30 I just can't see myself giving up a car I love e92 335 for the F30 335 or 435 and be happy with that decision. At the end of the day the F30 has is good points but it doesn't seem any of them improve driving dynamics. Its actually the opposite ! Fuel economy. Bigger/more legroom etc etc. These are not the reasons I drive BMWs and I'm obviously not alone. If I wanted those things I would get a Toyota/Lexus. I'm going to get an F30 335 for the wife because frankly she isn't able to tell the difference like I can and she's wooed by the techie stuff. I on the other hand have decided to get a CPO e92 335is MT because I want the "true" BMW experience. Just to recap. I am getting a used car over a new one because its a better drivers car in every way! If that doesn't say something I don't know what will!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#492 ·
I bought my first BMW, an E90, over 4 years ago because I was one of the people who loved the look of the Bangle-ized Bimmers, and always wanted a BMW. So being relatively new to the BMW community, I'm curious as to whether this same type of argument went on between the E46/E90 guys when the E90 was introduced?

#493 ·
IMO, the F30 interior quality and layout is nice for the 320i $32,000 bracket. But once the $40,000 bracket is passed then it is not nice at all. And then BMW takes the AH3 to $50,000 without options and suddenly the F30 interior becomes absurd.

The 4-Series -with exactly the same interior- will just take it to a new level of absurdity.

I think that this is a great opportunity for BMW to just offer a full leather upgrade for the F30. It really needs it.

#498 ·
It is odd that E90 folks come on the F30 forum and talk about how much better they think their car is. I haven't been on the E90 forum in years, but I doubt there are any F30 people trolling and bragging about their cars over there.

Fact is, the original poster wanted feedback from people that switched from an E90 to an F30. People not in that category need to be cognizant of the fact that they were not being asked for their opinions in the first place. They are free to express themselves of course, but they really can't provide the level of feedback that others can.

#500 ·
It is odd that E90 folks come on the F30 forum and talk about how much better they think their car is. I haven't been on the E90 forum in years, but I doubt there are any F30 people trolling and bragging about their cars over there.

Fact is, the original poster wanted feedback from people that switched from an E90 to an F30. People not in that category need to be cognizant of the fact that they were not being asked for their opinions in the first place. They are free to express themselves of course, but they really can't provide the level of feedback that others can.
That is the key to my having a tolerance for the amount and type of F30 bashing. Never occurred to me to post a word in the E90 section, let alone negative posts.

#499 ·
For me it comes down to just 2 things:

- E90 had tighter steering and better connection/feel to the road. Car felt like it was on rails. The F30 is certainly softer - but I do acknowledge that having and xDrive with no DHP certainly skews that. DS tightens the steering but the road feel is still less engaging than that of my previous E90.
- F30 is better in every other way/category.

#502 ·
I browse the entire site by clicking on "New Posts", and reading the ones that pique my interest, with no regard to what forum they are in. That's the best way to get a feel for the entire site, and I actually enjoy sitting on the sidelines while people discuss these things. I've learned much more this way than any 10 car magazine reviews combined! :thumbup:

#504 ·
That's easy for you to say! It's really hard to improve on an E92 M3! I'm waiting to see how this M4 turns out though before I pass judgement! :thumbup:

#505 ·
#523 ·
So this begs the question: did BMW downgrade the brakes on the F30 so that people would have to upgrade to get standard E90 brakes? :dunno:

#539 ·
Alright gents, drop your pants and grab a ruler. We'll settle this once and for all. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using BimmerApp mobile app

#542 ·
Why the personal attacks?

I normally do not get in between other peoples arguments, but I do not get the personal attacks by Saintor against Jameson. I get you do not agree with Jameson, but you cheapen your points greatly with said personal attacks. Especially against a person that is very knowledgable and helpful in many different topics on this forum and others.

I drove an E90 in the late 2009 when I had a 2007 G35x. I liked it compared to the G35x and it was superior in many respects, but felt it was not overly better as a complete package to spend the money to change brands. I drove my current 2013 328i xDrive and was amazed at how nice the overall package was improved compared to the E90. Is it perfect no, but it is an amazing car in so many categories. I also didn't jump on an E90 forum and say people were crazy for spending so much money on an inferior car and how it sucked in this way and that etc...

Everybody is entitled to their opinions, but you have stated yours numerous times and we all get it: you don't like the F30. Don't get one. Their are many other brands to buy and many other car forums where you can tell people their cars suck and why your new or old car is so much more superior.

#543 ·
I also didn't jump on an E90 forum and say people were crazy for spending so much money on an inferior car and how it sucked in this way and that etc...

Some E90 owners sure do expend a lot of energy on the F30 forum. I can understand it if they are planning to upgrade to the F30, but others are just trolls.

Are there any F30 owners trolling on the E90 forum?

#547 ·
I personally like both the E90 and F30, as each has great qualities that the other (subjectively or objectively) does not have. Both are driver's cars, no doubt. I would take either car any day of the week with no regrets.

I don't quite understand the reasoning for personal attacks though - this is a great forum with lots of folks that have great knowledge and opinions to share. Sharing opinions with each other about our cars is great - we can agree with them, challenge them, or just ignore them...

I am fairly new to the forums, but I've been a Dubber for years (I've been on the Vortex for over a decade) and it is a great forum site - especially in the early days when it was small.

As a new Bimmer owner and new BF member, I can say that I'm glad to be a new part of this little community

- but let's just slow down a bit, hold hands, calm down, and sing some Kum By Yah?

M'kay class? :D Can't we all just get along? :p

#548 · (Edited)
Well yeah, you're new, so you don't know the history.

The problem is that this is an F30 forum and for whatever reason, some E90 folks like to hang out on it and trash the F30 every opportunity they get. It's sort of like going to a city park on a beautiful day, and there are homeless people lying on the benches and pigeons sh*tting everywhere.

So that is pretty much what is happening.

I try to ignore it for the most part, but when there are 2 or 3 active threads all about the same subject, it's sort of difficult not to jump in.

#553 ·
As a present F30 owner that use to have two E90's. The plastics on the center console is kind of cheap on the F30. However the one of the biggest pet peeves on my 2010 328i is the expose map lights. To me that is the ultimate form of cheapness (A kia Rio has covered map lights) along with the standard 4 speaker stereo system. The interior of the E90 was nice but it was not the greatest thing since slice bread.

#554 · (Edited)
Good point. Let's bury this "inferior interior" myth once and for all:

iDrive as standard equipment.
Premium sound system as standard equipment.
HD Radio as standard equipment.
Bluetooth as standard equipment.
BMW Assist as standard equipment.
Instrument cluster with enhanced contents.
Black plastic reduction on the center stack.
Gloss chrome console trim.
Aluminum electronic auto shifter.
Thicker, contoured steering wheel.
Enhanced ambient lighting with red/white option.
Superior cup holders w/tray cover option.
Larger air vents for superior cooling.
Curved instrumentaion surfacing for cockpit feel.
Hidden compartment beneath headlamp switch.
Auto dimming exterior mirrors
Auto dimming rearview mirror
Universal garage door opener
Power seats w/memory
Split & fold down rear seats

Good lord. "Cheap materials"? LOLZ.

BJ

#560 · (Edited)
I am new here so hopefully I don't wear out my welcome to soon and offend to many people with this post. I must not be your typical stuck up BMW driver like the rest of you guys :p.

I have seen some really ridiculous comments regarding the F30 that just boggle my mind. First the plastic under the HVAC/Stereo controls and shifter. So what if its hard plastic. I spend most of my time with my hands on the steering wheel or stereo knob/idrive. Not fondling spaces that are not meant to be touched. This has to be the most ergonomically correct car I have ever owned. Everything is geared towards driving from controls/seats auto climate and on and on. Plus how often do you really look at that section of the car?

Second, if this isn't a sport sedan then I don't know what is. I get that it is not as tight as the E90, but even with my soft xDrive suspension it still handles and corners exceedingly well. Yes it gets knocked of line in bumpy corners and could be tighter. That's why you buy a different car or get the aftermarket suspension that you want for your needs. Steering is subjective. I thought the E90's was nice, but overly heavy for normal driving and the F30's is pretty good to me. I guess when I'm taking a corner hard I know when I am close to the limits of traction in it. As people here have said: is it a sports car no, it's not meant to be. Is it a sporty sedan? Hell yes.

Last, the road noise is so loud that it makes the stereo a non-issue? Come on, you really can't be serious. I drive a Sprinter for work and I guarantee you that it is one of the loudest things you can drive on the road and I can still hear that two speaker crappy stereo just fine.

Any way, just my opinions.

#562 ·
I am new here so hopefully I don't wear out my welcome to soon and offend to many people with this post. I must not be your typical stuck up BMW driver like the rest of you guys :p.

I have seen some really ridiculous comments regarding the F30 that just boggle my mind. First the plastic under the HVAC/Stereo controls and shifter. So what if its hard plastic. I spend most of my time with my hands on the steering wheel or stereo knob/idrive. Not fondling spaces that are not meant to be touched. This has to be the most ergonomically correct car I have ever owned. Everything is geared towards driving from controls/seats auto climate and on and on. Plus how often do you really look at that section of the car?

Second, if this isn't a sport sedan then I don't know what is. I get that it is not as tight as the E90, but even with my soft xDrive suspension it still handles and corners exceedingly well. Yes it gets knocked of line in bumpy corners and could be tighter. That's why you buy a different car or get the aftermarket suspension that you want for your needs. Steering is subjective. I thought the E90's was nice, but overly heavy for normal driving and the F30's is pretty good to me. I guess when I'm taking a corner hard I know when I am close to the limits of traction in it. As people here have said: is it a sports car no, it's not meant to be. Is it a sporty sedan? Hell yes.

Last, the road noise is so loud that it makes the stereo a non-issue? Come on, you really can't be serious. I drive a Sprinter for work and I guarantee you that it is one of the loudest things you can drive on the road and I can still hear that two speaker crappy stereo just fine.

Any way, just my opinions.
Thanks for your post. It all depends on expectations. Coming from an E90, some of the quality aspects of the F30 seem to be a downgrade and that's disappointing. German cars are known for using quality materials that are an upgrade over what you get in a more pedestrian vehicle. It's expected, especially when you are paying at least $37K for a car and up to $50K or more when well optioned. The main issue is that while the F30 is a sport sedan, it's poorer at this task than the previous model which is a sin when you are BMW.

#569 ·
I think Minn19's post was very frank, honest, and unbiased.

I have enjoyed this thread (and others like this), but I have to say his type of post is refreshing. I enjoy seeing everyones opinions...

Sometimes we need to take a step back and see the merits of both the F30 &E90 chassis. Not so much to berate one or the other.:confused:

If that's what passes as a 'serious' post - well then, so be it.

-Steve

Sent from my SHW-M250S using BimmerApp mobile app

#573 ·
I think Minn19's post was very frank, honest, and unbiased.

I have enjoyed this thread (and others like this), but I have to say his type of post is refreshing. I enjoy seeing everyones opinions...

Sometimes we need to take a step back and see the merits of both the F30 &E90 chassis. Not so much to berate one or the other.:confused:

If that's what passes as a 'serious' post - well then, so be it.

-Steve

Sent from my SHW-M250S using BimmerApp mobile app
Very good opinions, don't be a stranger.

BJ
Thanks Steve and BJ. Appreciate it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.