BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Next Generation X5 Spotted Peeling Off Some Camo

34K views 68 replies 23 participants last post by  henrycyao 
#1 ·
2014 BMW X5

The last time we saw some spy photos of the X5 was back in September and the whole car was decked out in camouflage. It looks like BMW has gotten given us a little gift for the holidays with the new X5 being spotted on the streets wearing a little less camo.

2014 BMW X5

This next generation X5 is still on pace to go on sale in 2013 as a 2014 model with numerous changes coming for sure. Under the skin the X5 will share the general drivetrain components from the recently launched BMW X3, expanding on BMW's 'X for all' concept.

2014 BMW X5

2014 BMW X5

2014 BMW X5

Attachments

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
Looks longer to me as well -- note the third row headrests in the back window. There seems to be an almost GL distance between the hatch glass and the headrest. That would of course make it an almost usable three rower! Coupled with the bloated X3 and the early-X3 sized X1 would make the line size similar to the M-B GL/ML/GLK offerings. I am discounting the X6 and R class of course.:D

#8 ·
The way I see it, it is not much bigger than current.

Just a little more square. BTW, I think the headrests we see are from the second row, not a third. If you compare this pictures with pictures of current X5, I see that new one would have higher hood and more squarish back window which could translate to more headroom for a third row seating.

#9 ·
I agree those are only second row headrests.

But, I also fear that is a fender vent that I don't think will look good. Exactly what I was hoping against that the new design has lost the more muscular look of the current design that I love. I would rather get another remaining current gen if so. Or move to the M.

Porsche made the Cayenne look soft with the second version. Range Rover has lost the stately look with the new update. Now the X5 is more bland. So much for the ones that I like...X5 being my preference.

#11 ·
There IS a vent behind the front wheels. That aspect is "old news" for about three weeks now. There are other pictures on other threads that display that predominate feature.

#29 · (Edited)
To me the shape looks like Toyota Highlander
I hope it will not come with the new electric steering as the X3 /too soft for BMW I hate it/

About the 8 speed transmission on the diesel, I think it will be too much shifting. It has plenty of torque and doesn't need to shift as often as the gas version. If you ask me I'd only add 7 speed after the 6th to the current generation X5 diesel. That will ease the engine at highway speeds, keeping the RPM up to 2000 which will also get a significant mpg improvement I can easy bet over 30mpg

#14 ·
Yes, this looks pretty much the same as current BMW X5 except for the rear headlights.

This looks about the same length as before. I don't see more leg room for third row. If rumors proves correct, there supposed to be a stretch version of X5 that seats 3rd row better. That would make sense in the current BMW line up.

I am going to be flamed for this. Chris Bangle's design was more interesting to look at when it was introduced than this new version of X5. BMW has gotten too conservative now. We need a middle ground between Chris Bangle's design and the current one.

#15 ·
Yes, this looks pretty much the same as current BMW X5 except for the rear headlights.

This looks about the same length as before. I don't see more leg room for third row. If rumors proves correct, there supposed to be a stretch version of X5 that seats 3rd row better. That would make sense in the current BMW line up.

I am going to be flamed for this. Chris Bangle's design was more interesting to look at when it was introduced than this new version of X5. BMW has gotten too conservative now. We need a middle ground between Chris Bangle's design and the current one.
That's what I am hoping for. I always wondered why does BMW not come up with a GL size model of X. I think it would be a hit.

#17 ·
Looks like a slightly more feminine version of the current-gen X5 to me, albeit, the potential for a more useable third row and of course any new technologies may be enough to steer me to it.

I'm looking to pickup an X5 soon, and am debating between getting the latest model (good for tax reasons for me, as a small-business owner expecting fewer write-offs and breaks next year) or waiting for this new redesign. Hmmmm...

#20 ·
I'm liking the new LED headlights, but that's about it. The E70 is still a fantastic looking design after all these years. Super modern and will age gracefully. I think BMW evolving the design was the right design.

That being said, it still has to drive like a BMW. If it drives like the X3, I'm out.

#23 ·
I like it. It seems to be a more elegant version of the current X5 which is already the best looking SUV after the Range Rover. You do need to be careful when lengthening an SUV though, in general the shorter and wider it is the better it looks and there is a line that takes a design into minivan territory. The Q7 has stepped over the line and this new X5 seems to balance on it and only just landing on the right side, we'll know better when the rest of the camo comes off but I think it will look ok.

#30 ·
Henry come down to the valley and you will see GL's all over the place. Sometimes they are hard to spot because from certain angles they look like the ML. Of course, there are also X5's all over the place too! About the only one that you rarely see here is the T-egg. Even the Cayenne's are getting thick on the ground here. Must be too many IPO's cashing out!:rofl:

#33 ·
I was able to spot a couple GL after you mentioned they look like ML. They do look alike. I don't understand why automaker just reuse the same exterior design. :tsk:

BMW does the same thing as well. BMW 5 and 7 just look like each other with size differences. BMW X5 will look like X3 based on the photos and videos. I guess all these modular platform just ensure everything is the same. That is just boring.

I also do not understand Porsche styling. They always seem to have the same front.

#39 ·
The domestic SUV (and that's what they are, not SAV's) market is a specific one, designed for those who want a reliable and useful truck (again, that's what they are -- not cars pretending to be trucks). Do they have BMW/MB handling, features, etc. -- no. What they do have is space. Anyone who has taken a trip in a Suburban with 6 of their closest friends will understand the popularity of these machines. I am an unreconstructed domestic SUV lover. I enjoy the space, the reliability, inexpensive maintenance/repairs and the utility. What I don't enjoy is the fuel useage.:mad: I would sell my BMW tomorrow and get a diesel Tahoe if they offered it again! The upcoming Jeep GC is interesting. It is built on the ML underpinnings (back when MB owned Chrysler) and with that nice diesel may well be a contender. Certainly well worth looking at -- along with the Q5 TDI if it gets more than 30 mpg.:angel:

#40 ·
I looked up a review of Suburban since I never know what it looks like inside. Wow, that thing is a giant. It will be hard to make the car drive well. It makes the X5 look darn right small. Even then, X5's turning circle is really bad.

Yes, I do wish BMW has better reputation for reliability. The Chevy will be more reliable but not so with Jeep and Chrysler brand.

#48 ·
Big Luxury SUV

There are 4 main vehicles in this category:

LR's LR4
Lexus LX
Infiniti QX
Caddy Escalade

That being said, it depends on your brand image perception (some consider the LX, QX, and escad pricier versions of their siblings ie. Land Cruiser, Armada, and YUKON or SUB respectively).

These 4 candidates really define what BIG LUXURY SUVS are about:

They have tons of room, refinement in terms of gadgets (escalade kinda not), and behemoth engines.

#49 ·
After April 2013 the X3 xdrive20d will come to US. The model number for US version will most likely be X3 xdrive28d only because xdrive20d will sound leak for the Americans. It will have the same 4-cyl twin-turbo diesel with 183HP and amazing 42 MPG
This X3 will be a direct competitor to the upcoming Q5 2.0 TDI

#55 · (Edited)
The Jeeps are a lot like Land Rovers/RR's in one respect -- they have a tendency for problems! You soon develop a close relationship with your SM:rofl:. They also tend to show up at the bottom of various reliability lists. OTOH they also seem to last forever and there are a ton of them still running around. Aside from the cottage industry in replacing the air suspension in the RR's with steel springs it seems like once they reach a certain point all the problems either go away, or are ignored, and the things keep going. I have several friends who swear at, and by, their Jeep GC's - usually kept in the cabin at Tahoe. And would never think of getting anything else. That said, the new ones are "supposed" to be light years better in fit, finish, and reliability. Of course with FIAT ("fix it again Tony") now running the show I will have to be convinced.:angel:

#61 ·
Maybe a few too many drinks tonight but can someone please answer me this.....?

Will the 2014 X5 have a diesel option? Yes or no?

#62 ·
Thats tricky. According to the EOP and SOP posted here is accurate, the next gen X5 D should launch in december of 2013. Question is whether it will launch as a 2015 model in the year 2013 or will it launch as a 2014 model in the year 2013. lol

Correct me if im wrong lol

#64 ·
Maybe you've had too many drinks as well. I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. A 2015 model in 2013? How could that be?

#63 · (Edited)
Thanks for the detailed info. Looks like the salesman is not informed. I usually never trust them completely but I just wanted the info to be right :)
At least the first BMW diesel to come next year is the new 3 series. I hope it will be the 4cyl twin-turbo diesel and option for manual box

What about he new 3L diesel
What will be different compared to the current 3L? Single turbo? Same engine tuned up for better mpg? Rated 255HP and also less torque

I just found some info
Both engines 2L and 3L will be single turbo twin-scroll

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.