BMW 3 Series Wins 2012 Compact Luxury Sports Sedan Sales Crown

by Bimmerfest.com Member - boltjaM3s on January 4, 2013, 10:42 pm
BMW 3 Series Wins 2012 Compact Luxury Sports Sedan Sales Crown

Written by: Karla Sanchez on January 4 2013


If you think you’ve been seeing new BMW 3 Series cars everywhere this year, maybe this will help explain it: the 3 Series swept the competition in the compact luxury sports sedan class with 99,602 units sold in 2012. Second-best is the Mercedes-Benz C-Class with 81,697 cars moved off the lot last year. While the Germans dominated the podium, Japanese automaker Infiniti nabbed the third spot with 59,844 G models sold.

Combined sales of the Audi A4 and A5 (55,800 units) weren’t far behind Infiniti, however, it finished ahead of the fifth-place Acura TL, which sold 33,572 units last year. The TSX (28,865 units) couldn’t quite touch its larger sibling’s sales numbers, coming in short by nearly 5000 units compared to the TL. Trailing close behind the TSX was the Lexus IS with 27,708 copies sold; about 1150 units shy of stealing sixth place away from compact Acura.

With 24,616 cars sold, seventh place belongs to the Buick Regal, while the sleek Volvo S60 follows behind it with 23,356 units sold. It shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise that the new Cadillac ATS rounded out the top 10, as the BMW 3 series-fighter went on sale not too long ago. With 7008 units sold in 2012, it appears it has a lot of catching up to do to challenge the top contenders in the segment.



http://wot.motortrend.com/bmw-3-seri...#ixzz2H4KgYq9I

BJ
BMW-2012-3-Series-F30-Spain 1BMW-2012-3-Series-F30-Spain 2BMW-2012-3-Series-F30-Spain 3BMW-2012-3-Series-F30-Spain 4BMW-2012-3-Series-F30-Spain 5BMW-2012-3-Series-F30-Spain 6BMW-2012-3-Series-F30-Spain 7BMW-2012-3-Series-F30-Spain 8BMW-2012-3-Series-F30-Spain 9BMW-2012-3-Series-F30-Spain 10BMW-2012-3-Series-F30-Spain 11BMW-2012-3-Series-F30-Spain 12


Leave a Comment

You must be a registered member to comment on stories. Please take a moment to register for your free account now. If you already have an account, log in using fields below.










22 responses to BMW 3 Series Wins 2012 Compact Luxury Sports Sedan Sales Crown

tturedraider commented:
January 4, 2013, 10:49 pm

Yea, BMW!! But the opening sentence is kind of funny, 'cause most of us have spent the year commenting on how few F30s we have seen on the road so far.
boltjaM3s commented:
January 4, 2013, 10:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Yea, BMW!! But the opening sentence is kind of funny, 'cause most of us have spent the year commenting on how few F30s we have seen on the road so far.
Considering how few F30's there were in inventory overall, the fact that the factory shut down for a month in transition, and how word is out on the coming new bodystyle Coupe and Cabrio, it's a fantastic achievement for BMW.

BJ
bmw_or_audi commented:
January 4, 2013, 11:33 pm

It would be enlightening to see a breakdown of E9x/F30 sales for the 3.
captainaudio commented:
January 4, 2013, 11:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_or_audi View Post
It would be enlightening to see a breakdown of E9x/F30 sales for the 3.
Just a guess but I would think the F30 would represent the bulk of the sales.
The fact that the E92 and E93 are about to be discontinued would probably turn off a lot of buyers.

CA
LarryboysUDM commented:
January 4, 2013, 11:54 pm

BMW reigns supreme in the luxury sports sedan category....it's great to drive a bimmer!
beden1 commented:
January 5, 2013, 1:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Yea, BMW!! But the opening sentence is kind of funny, 'cause most of us have spent the year commenting on how few F30s we have seen on the road so far.
I wonder how many cars were sold in the US and then shipped to buyers in China? When you buy a Porsche in the US, you have to sign an agreement that the car will not be re-sold outside of the US within a period of time.
pkim1079 commented:
January 5, 2013, 5:40 am

I think the bulk of the sales are still e9x. You get good deals because the new models are out. Plus we still dont see as many f30s as them. I never understood buying the older model brand new even with a discount when the new ones are out. After the honeymoon stage i would feel like its outdated already.

Guess bj was correct in his "this is a luxury car" argument lol.
boltjaM3s commented:
January 5, 2013, 10:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
I think the bulk of the sales are still e9x. You get good deals because the new models are out. Plus we still dont see as many f30s as them. I never understood buying the older model brand new even with a discount when the new ones are out. After the honeymoon stage i would feel like its outdated already.

Guess bj was correct in his "this is a luxury car" argument lol.
I think the answer is something more like "the F30 is the best at being both." It's 2-cars in 1. It's a $50,000 fully loaded German luxury car and it's a $36,000 step-up to a Passat or an Accord.

Instead of "The Ultimate Driving Machine" might as well be "Have It Your Way" because you can option up and customize the F30 to be anything you want moreso than any time in 3 Series history.

The Adaptive M Suspension is a good example. You can create a car that looks like a stately Luxury line and have it perform like an M-Sport. Or, conversely, create a car that looks like a Sports beast and have it soft and comfortable when necessary.

As someone who owned two E9X products over a 5 year period, I almost left the BMW brand because the standard suspension was just too harsh and my kids couldn't take feeling all the bumps and road imperfections, literally made my 11 year old nauseous to drive in dad's car for too long. Hit a pothole, BOOM, made me feel like I just blew a tire. That's no way for a luxury car to behave. BMW's softening of the base suspension is a Godsend to many, many E90 drivers.

BMW has been straddling the line between Luxury/Comfort and Sport/Performance for decades, sometimes teetering more towards one side than the other. They finally said screw-it, just make both in a really big way and let the buyer have at it. It's a huge win vs. the competition which tends to lock in on one side over the other. Two engines, five trims, six packages, the M Accessories, it's quite a factory-custom car.

BJ
eazy commented:
January 5, 2013, 3:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
BMW 3 Series Wins 2012 Compact Luxury Sports Sedan Sales Crown

Written by: Karla Sanchez on January 4 2013


If you think you’ve been seeing new BMW 3 Series cars everywhere this year, maybe this will help explain it: the 3 Series swept the competition in the compact luxury sports sedan class with 99,602 units sold in 2012. Second-best is the Mercedes-Benz C-Class with 81,697 cars moved off the lot last year. While the Germans dominated the podium, Japanese automaker Infiniti nabbed the third spot with 59,844 G models sold.

Combined sales of the Audi A4 and A5 (55,800 units) weren’t far behind Infiniti, however, it finished ahead of the fifth-place Acura TL, which sold 33,572 units last year. The TSX (28,865 units) couldn’t quite touch its larger sibling’s sales numbers, coming in short by nearly 5000 units compared to the TL. Trailing close behind the TSX was the Lexus IS with 27,708 copies sold; about 1150 units shy of stealing sixth place away from compact Acura.

With 24,616 cars sold, seventh place belongs to the Buick Regal, while the sleek Volvo S60 follows behind it with 23,356 units sold. It shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise that the new Cadillac ATS rounded out the top 10, as the BMW 3 series-fighter went on sale not too long ago. With 7008 units sold in 2012, it appears it has a lot of catching up to do to challenge the top contenders in the segment.



http://wot.motortrend.com/bmw-3-seri...#ixzz2H4KgYq9I

BJ
I remember back in the old days when Acura use to sell 60-70k TL's a year. Although I do not consider a TL a compact sport luxury car since it the size of a 5 series
bmw_or_audi commented:
January 5, 2013, 4:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazy View Post
I remember back in the old days when Acura use to sell 60-70k TL's a year. Although I do not consider a TL a compact sport luxury car since it the size of a 5 series
They completely ruined the car with hideous styling and diminished handling capability. Oh, and increased price.
kpgray commented:
January 5, 2013, 5:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
I think the answer is something more like "the F30 is the best at being both." It's 2-cars in 1. It's a $50,000 fully loaded German luxury car and it's a $36,000 step-up to a Passat or an Accord.

Instead of "The Ultimate Driving Machine" might as well be "Have It Your Way" because you can option up and customize the F30 to be anything you want moreso than any time in 3 Series history.

The Adaptive M Suspension is a good example. You can create a car that looks like a stately Luxury line and have it perform like an M-Sport. Or, conversely, create a car that looks like a Sports beast and have it soft and comfortable when necessary.

As someone who owned two E9X products over a 5 year period, I almost left the BMW brand because the standard suspension was just too harsh and my kids couldn't take feeling all the bumps and road imperfections, literally made my 11 year old nauseous to drive in dad's car for too long. Hit a pothole, BOOM, made me feel like I just blew a tire. That's no way for a luxury car to behave. BMW's softening of the base suspension is a Godsend to many, many E90 drivers.

BMW has been straddling the line between Luxury/Comfort and Sport/Performance for decades, sometimes teetering more towards one side than the other. They finally said screw-it, just make both in a really big way and let the buyer have at it. It's a huge win vs. the competition which tends to lock in on one side over the other. Two engines, five trims, six packages, the M Accessories, it's quite a factory-custom car.

BJ
YES! Correct and eloquent explanation on ALL of the above! As for myself, the ride is part of the reason I bought an Acura in '05! I drove the E46 (outgoing model) and the car felt great from a drivers perspective but the ride was SO harsh (Michigan roads are the worst). I was not going up to the 5 as the 3 already carried a $10K premium! The F30 is what put me into the BMW!
LegendsNeverDie commented:
January 5, 2013, 6:45 pm

Impressive! Does this include E90/92/93 or just F30's? On the side note, the ATS is doing very well so far.
3284me commented:
January 5, 2013, 7:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendsNeverDie View Post
Impressive! Does this include E90/92/93 or just F30's? On the side note, the ATS is doing very well so far.
Sales figures include all E and F 3 series models. Once the xdrive F series became available the last 3 months of the year, sales took off. BMW also beat Mercedes for the overall luxury brand winner for the second year in a row.
SD330i commented:
January 5, 2013, 7:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
BMW 3 Series Wins 2012 Compact Luxury Sports Sedan Sales Crown

Written by: Karla Sanchez on January 4 2013


If you think you’ve been seeing new BMW 3 Series cars everywhere this year, maybe this will help explain it: the 3 Series swept the competition in the compact luxury sports sedan class with 99,602 units sold in 2012. Second-best is the Mercedes-Benz C-Class with 81,697 cars moved off the lot last year. While the Germans dominated the podium, Japanese automaker Infiniti nabbed the third spot with 59,844 G models sold.

Combined sales of the Audi A4 and A5 (55,800 units) weren’t far behind Infiniti, however, it finished ahead of the fifth-place Acura TL, which sold 33,572 units last year. The TSX (28,865 units) couldn’t quite touch its larger sibling’s sales numbers, coming in short by nearly 5000 units compared to the TL. Trailing close behind the TSX was the Lexus IS with 27,708 copies sold; about 1150 units shy of stealing sixth place away from compact Acura.

With 24,616 cars sold, seventh place belongs to the Buick Regal, while the sleek Volvo S60 follows behind it with 23,356 units sold. It shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise that the new Cadillac ATS rounded out the top 10, as the BMW 3 series-fighter went on sale not too long ago. With 7008 units sold in 2012, it appears it has a lot of catching up to do to challenge the top contenders in the segment.



http://wot.motortrend.com/bmw-3-seri...#ixzz2H4KgYq9I

BJ
Great news BJ ! I m starting to see a few more around the San Diego freeways & highways! Where are the naysayers now ? It was only a matter of time. Every time I drive our 335i is a joy. Those 17 days in NJ were fun , but missed a few hot laps down the freeway & curves. Next time in NJ I will for sure check the BMW corporate headquarters
Chris90 commented:
January 5, 2013, 8:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendsNeverDie View Post
On the side note, the ATS is doing very well so far.
2900 in December, is that good? If they're not having inventory issues, seems low to me for a new, heavily hyped car.
EddieB commented:
January 5, 2013, 8:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_or_audi View Post
They completely ruined the car with hideous styling and diminished handling capability. Oh, and increased price.
Acura lost me when after the Vigor I couldn't get an equivalent model with a manual tranny.
-=Hot|Ice=- commented:
January 6, 2013, 12:47 am

All BMW needed to do was release the AWD version, and it was game over.
boltjaM3s commented:
January 6, 2013, 12:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD330i View Post
Great news BJ ! I m starting to see a few more around the San Diego freeways & highways! Where are the naysayers now ? It was only a matter of time. Every time I drive our 335i is a joy. Those 17 days in NJ were fun , but missed a few hot laps down the freeway & curves. Next time in NJ I will for sure check the BMW corporate headquarters
The car rocks. Next time you're in NJ we'll rent you a 335i here and cruise BMW HQ together.

BJ
-=Hot|Ice=- commented:
January 6, 2013, 12:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
The car rocks. Next time you're in NJ we'll rent you a 335i here and cruise BMW HQ together.

BJ
Not to shabby in stick form, either.
SD330i commented:
January 6, 2013, 6:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
The car rocks. Next time you're in NJ we'll rent you a 335i here and cruise BMW HQ together.

BJ
Sounds like a plan my friend ! How far is the BMW headquarters from Bridgewater NJ ?
boltjaM3s commented:
January 6, 2013, 8:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD330i View Post
Sounds like a plan my friend ! How far is the BMW headquarters from Bridgewater NJ ?
50 minutes. 45 if you drive like a New Yorker.

BJ
Q. Senna commented:
January 7, 2013, 8:49 am

/waves @ Cadillac

Congrats, BMW! Keep this up and we'll be #1 for a long time to come.