BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

F3x Tire Review Thread

17K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  fritzpaul 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
BMW F30 3 series Tire Review Thread

So I thought it might be nice to start a tire review thread early in the life of the new 3 series. I know there are many posters on here who will eventually switch out their OEM tires for non-runflats, or more importantly install winter tires. Does this forum have the discipline to collate these reviews into a single thread so that generations of F3x buyers can browse reviews in one thread?

I propose the following, I will create a review template coverings the basics about your vehicle and the tire you installed. Fill it out and then free form a review of the tire. What you liked, what you didn't. In return as an active member of the community I will try and keep this post organized with links to individual reviews.

If this thread doesn't gain traction, then I will just let it die ;)

Collated Tire Reviews

F30/31 - Sedan/Wagon Tire Reviews

Winter Tire Reviews

Michelin X-Ice Xi3 Winter Tire Review - by samualcc
Michelin Ice Xi3 - by emtrey

Pirelli Sottozero Series II - by xcskier

Summer Tire Reviews

Bridgestone Potenza S001 Max Summer by johnofcross
Goodyear Efficient Grip ROF by Yobyot
ContiSportContact 2 SSR (Self Supporting Runflat) by SergioK
Hankook ventus v12 - by pkim1079

All-Season Tire Reviews

Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position by BruceOmega

F32/33 - Coupe/Convertible Tire Reviews

Winter Tire Reviews
None So Far

Summer Tire Reviews
None So Far

All-Season Tire Reviews
None So Far

How do I contribute to this thread?

Take the template below and copy it into a new post. Please reply to this post! Don't start a brand new one! Fill out as many of the sections as you can. The more detail you provide, the more useful it is!

********************Copy contents below this line and fill out as appropriate. Delete example text and replace it with your own info!**********

Vehicle Details: (example: 2012 3 Series M Sport Sedan, RWD/AWD)

Tire Brand and Type Being Reviewed: (example: Michelin Pilot Sport - Summer Tires OR Continental DWS - All Season, etc)

Tire Size: (example 225/45R17, etc)

Is this tire a "Run Flat" model: Yes or No

Approximate Miles Driven on New Tires: XXXX Miles

I Would Recommend These Tires: Yes or No

Detailed Tire Review: (Example: I bought this tire for winter. Or I bought them for high performance. They are great/terrible/meh and here is why.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Michelin Xi3 Winter Tires

I will start this off to be a good board citizen.

Vehicle Details: 2013 3 Series Sedan, Sport Line RWD

Tire Brand and Type Being Reviewed: Michelin X-Ice Xi3

Tire Size: 215/55R17

Is this tire a "Run Flat" model: No

Approximate Miles Driven on New Tires: 1500 Miles

I Would Recommend These Tires: Yes

Detailed Tire Review: I bought these tires after reading some excellent tire rack reviews, and from experience with the Xi2 Michelins on my wife's car. I previously used Blizzaks exclusively but found that they where just awful on dry roads and in warmish wet conditions. I happy am to report that the Xi3s have great dry road manners while also being very good in the snow.

In day to day driving (Philadelphia PA Suburbs) I find the tires to be secure and compliant. They are also whisper quiet so far and handle fairly well even at the reduced width I am running. I would not call them sporty but they are definitely firmer and dare I say sportier than I expected. Obviously they can't compare to my standard summer tires, but for 3ish months out of the year, they are workable. Of note I am running these on generic rims from tire rack with TPMS sensors installed.

Most importantly I had a chance to test them in the conditions I bought them for. About 3 to 5 inches of snow/slush. In this regard, they really exceeded my expectations. The most impressive thing was how they handled lane transitions at 40 to 50 mph. Changing lanes and driving over the what is usually a center line of snow was nothing to these tires. Taking turns at moderate speeds instilled real confidence and normal acceleration in intersections was easy. I am really impressed so far, and continue to believe that winter tires are always the better decisions vs AWD if you have to choose one.

#3 ·
I'm actually glad you started this thread. I searched tire threads the other day, and didn't really find what I needed, which was exactly what you posted.

I will probably need new tires in about 3-4 months, and I want to stick with summer RFTs, but i'm not sure which ones to get. I don't want to compromise performance, but I'd like a tire that has good life as well. i'm not really concerned about price, I just want the best performing, best life RFT summer tire the F30 can handle. I have no desire to put AS or Winter tires on my car, and even though it's snowed twice here this year, it doesn't snow often enough for me to be concerned with it. I'm willing to forgo having a car that's driveable when the weather turns snowy. I can WFH on those days.

I'm also interested in going with a staggered setup. What's the max recommended size for the Rear tires on the F30?

#4 ·
I'm actually glad you started this thread. I searched tire threads the other day, and didn't really find what I needed, which was exactly what you posted.

I will probably need new tires in about 3-4 months, and I want to stick with summer RFTs, but i'm not sure which ones to get. I don't want to compromise performance, but I'd like a tire that has good life as well. i'm not really concerned about price, I just want the best performing, best life RFT summer tire the F30 can handle. I have no desire to put AS or Winter tires on my car, and even though it's snowed twice here this year, it doesn't snow often enough for me to be concerned with it. I'm willing to forgo having a car that's driveable when the weather turns snowy. I can WFH on those days.

I'm also interested in going with a staggered setup. What's the max recommended size for the Rear tires on the F30?
Hopefully in time others will share their experiences and give us all some good insight into their tire choice.

#5 ·
Pirelli Sottozero runflat review

Vehicle Details: 2013 335i xDrive M Sport Sedan

Tire Brand and Type Being Reviewed: Pirelli Sottozero Series II (winter tire)

Tire Size: 225/50R-17

Is this tire a "Run Flat" model: Yes

Approximate Miles Driven on New Tires:2000 Miles

Detailed Tire Review: I commute between Seattle and my cabin in the Methow Valley of the N Cascades. It gets _very_ snowy. Having found on other cars that "Performance Winter" tires, e.g. Blizzak LM series, not nearly as good as the WS Blizzaks or Michelin X-Ice, I wasn't very happy to find only "Performance" models available in run flat. But spares take up too much room and I don't want to worry about getting a flat at 1am in a blizzard in the boonies.

Having driven the Sottozero in several whiteout drives, I can say that they're very adequate. Whenever I was concerned about my traction I needed only to look at the people spinning out around me to that things were simply slick. (or they all had crappy tires and didn't know how to drive, but it sure was entertaining!) No problem towing a snowmobile trailer through 6 inches of unplowed.

Dry/wet handling is much better than the WS Blizzaks or X-Ice (on previous cars that include Audis and STi). Turn-in feel is close to that of the stock all season Pirelli P7 (which might be saying more about the P7...)

#6 · (Edited)
Sweet. Here's my review:

Vehicle Details: 2013 335i M Sport RWD

Tire Brand and Type Being Reviewed: Bridgestone Potenza S001 Max Summer

Tire Size: staggered, 225/40R19 89Y Front, 255/35R19 92Y Back

Approximate Miles Driven on New Tires: 5300+ Miles

I Would Recommend These Tires: If you got the money, why not.

Detailed Tire Review: These came stock as I got the 19" 403M with summer tires. Never had an RFT before, let alone a BMW, but I think these tires are great. As of right now, Tire Rack has them for $330+ each, which is insane.

Performance wise, these tires are sticky. Hard to peel out on these when warm. Cold, however, that's another story. Driving through Germany and Italy in early September was a peach with these tires. These even held up fantastic in the Nurburgring. These provide the same 'feel' confidence both dry and wet. Overall great performing tires.

Few things to note. Tread life is not the best. I think by 10-12k miles I'll probably be replacing the rear tires. Road noise by default is quite high. By 70 mph, cabin gets kinda loud because of these tires. When these are cold, it's a bit hard and road noise is higher. If there were non-RFT versions of this tire I would probably get it. But right now as they are too expensive, I wouldn't. Well, maybe. They are quite solid.

#8 · (Edited)
Potenza RE960AS

Vehicle Details: 2013 335i xDrive Sportline

Tire Brand and Type Being Reviewed: Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position RFT

Tire Size: 245/40-18

Approximate Miles Driven on New Tires: 2500 Miles

Detailed Tire Review: I ordered the no cost option of performance tires on my car to get the higher top speed limiter. It came with Goodyear Efficient Grip Y speed rated summer RFT tires in 225/45-18 size.

I wanted to have a different tire for the winter season, and decided on all seasons rather than dedicated winter tires (winters in my area are getting less and less snow these days, and I'm not as dependent on having to drive to the office every day). Using Tirerack, I did not find any performance all season RFT tires in OEM size with a high enough speed rating, but Gary highly recommended the 960AS RFT in a slightly wider, lower profile size.

The tires fit fine, they look good on my OEM 18" wheels, and perform very well. I like the idea of a wider tire in a square set-up with xDrive. Have not had any snow or ice yet, so cannot comment on that aspect. Tires are still too new to predict tread life. So far, very happy with them.

#10 ·
Vehicle Details: 2012 335i ZSL (Sport line), RWD

Tire Brand and Type Being Reviewed: Goodyear Efficient Grip ROF

Tire Size: 225/45R18 91Y

Approximate Miles Driven on New Tires: 5500 Miles

I Would Recommend These Tires: No

Detailed Tire Review: These were the "summer performance" tires that my car came equipped with. When they wear out, I won't be buying another set. These tires are too compromised for my taste.

While quiet and comfortable, they brake poorly -- an issue some early reviews of the F30 pointed out. Low rolling resistance is the opposite of sticky and these tires let the brakes on the car down. Driven gently, these tires do allow the very powerful 335i to get 26MPG in my combination of stop-and-go highway jams and suburban driving. So, they are efficient, but they are most definitely NOT "summer performance tires."

On the plus side, the tires came with a factory road hazard warranty, something that worked for me when a rear picked up a metal shim.

Run-flat tires have come a long way from the hard-as-rocks Bridgestones that were OEM tires on my 2006 E90 330i. These Goodyears don't make my teeth chatter when going over bumps like those did. They don't make the suspension crash either as was so common with earlier-generation RFTs. But BMW tried too hard to round the square with these tires. They can't be both performance tires AND low-rolling resistance tires.

One more point: these tires have no -- ZERO -- grip on even a dusting of snow. Forget ice. They are exceptionally dangerous in cold weather (until the tire hits about 60 degrees internal temperature. Code your car to see actual pressure and temperatures. Go ahead -- it's safe and easy to code F30s.) So that aspect of a summer tire holds true for the EfficientGrip. But the classic disadvantages of a summer tire are not made up for by the benefits of a summer tire in the case of the Goodyear Efficient Grip ROF.

#15 ·
Good review. I have the same tires, and have noticed the braking isn't always spot on. Sometimes it's on a dime, and sometimes it just seems to stretch out and not give you a real quick stop. Do you know what kind of life we can expect on these tires? I have about 10K on them. Agreed they are dangerous in light snow/sleet/ice. Been in it twice and it was a harrowing experience but I'm willing to sacrifice a few days a year for the rest of the time when the road is fine.

#12 · (Edited)
Vehicle Details: 2013 335i RWD sportline

Tire Brand and Type Being Reviewed: Michelin Ice Xi3

Tire Size: 225/50/R17

Is this tire a "Run Flat" model: Non-Runflat

Approximate Miles Driven on New Tires: 1500

I Would Recommend These Tires: Yes-absolutely

Detailed Tire Review: I bought this tire for winter but not for deep snow as I live in an area where its not often an issue due to frequent snow plowing.

Bought after reviewing Tire Rack Tests. Looking for good ice/ moderarte snow performance without sacrifing too much performance when weather is not an issue.. Have not seen too much snow yet but wet performance is excellent.
Very pleased with handling/ride/quiet. Very , Very pleased with these tires. Still need snow test to give 100% endorsement. Had Bridgestone Potennza 950AS on 135i and those were very good but I think the Michelins are even better.

#13 · (Edited)
Vehicle Details: 2013 328i RWD Sportline w/DHP

Tire Brand and Type Being Reviewed: ContiSportContact 2 SSR (Self Supporting Runflat) - Max Performance Summer tire

Tire Size: 225/45R18

Approximate Miles Driven on New Tires: 900 Miles

I Would Recommend These Tires: Meh...

Currently not so Detailed Tire Review: I've driven on more sets of tires than I can remember and this is the first set of tires that tramlines right out of the box. I gotta say that's pretty bad and am not impressed. Usually it takes my summer performance tires several tens of thousands of miles to get to that point. I can usually make a set last anywhere from 20k to 40k miles. I'd say most start tramlining at around the 75% done mark. These did it from day one.

I haven't taken them to the racetrack yet so I can't comment on their track performance. When I do, I'll try to remember to update this thread at that point.

I'm also still under break-in so when I get to stretch their legs (and when ambient temps come this summer) I will be able to give a different perspective on these tires, I hope! If summer comes and these tires still suck I may be ditching them before they wear out, as many a previous fun-flat, I mean, run-flat tire owner has done.

#14 · (Edited)
Model: does it matter? Its an f30.

Tires: Hankook ventus v12

Funflats: these do not come in funflats.

Recommend? Yes as a cheap alternative.

Switched them out primarily because i couldnt stand the funflats. Bought these as a cheap daily and autox/track tire. Been to one autox event and one track day. They are still holding up. Felt the improvement leaving the tire shop. Handles pretty good on the track but they like to chunk and get greasy when really hot. But with a square setup you can keep rotating then flipping then repeating to maximize your tires.

I will try the rs3 next. It shouldnt be raining much in socal in a couple months. A guy i met at the track said he just flew threw a huge water spot at 100+mph and didnt hydroplane at all in an e46 m3 and that they were pretty good for the track and great for the city. I wont be doing that but regardless they should perform better than my current tires at only a small increase in price.

#17 ·
Vehicle Details: 2013 335i Sport RWD

Pirelli P Zero Summer Performance Tires
225/40R19 89Y front / 255/35R19 92Y rear
Run flat
4400 miles driven
First experience with run flats, basically would recommend

Living in Southern California make these tires workable. Based on what I know and have read, would never even consider attempting to drive in snow or ice.
Feel is a bit hard, but not overly. No visible wear at this point. Handling is good, but not quite as good as non-run flat Dunlops I had on my previous 325i Sport. They do squeal a bit during hard cornering, which was virtually non existing with the non-runflats..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.