BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Entry level F30 320i heads to the US - Starting at $33,445

128K views 596 replies 103 participants last post by  floydarogers 
#1 · (Edited)
Entry level F30 320i

BMW opened the latest chapter in the 3 Series story as it announced the new 2013 BMW 320i Sedan for the US market. Constructed with the near-perfect 50:50 balance afforded by BMW rear-wheel drive and priced from $33,445 (including $895 Destination & Handling), the new BMW 320i packs a content-rich punch in the marketplace for premium compact sport sedans. Sporting a 180-horsepower TwinPower Turbo 4-cylinder engine, the new BMW 320i Sedan goes on sale in late-Spring 2013. Along with the new 320i Sedan, the BMW 320i xDrive Sedan featuring BMW***8217;s intelligent all-wheel drive system will also be available from $35,445 (including $895 Destination & Handling). The broad palette of standard equipment includes Bluetooth smartphone integration and BMW***8217;s Auto Start-Stop function.

2013 F30 320i US spec

Owners will appreciate the incredibly flexible 8-speed automatic transmission, while drivers seeking maximum involvement may opt for a traditional 6-speed manual on the non-xDrive 320i. 17-inch BMW light alloy wheels are standard on the 320i and 320i xDrive, with two different styles of 18-inch light alloy wheels available in combination with Sport Package.

The engine of the new BMW 320i Sedan is BMW***8217;s award-winning 2.0-liter TwinPower Turbo 4-cylinder engine, rated in the 320i at 180 horsepower at 5,000 rpm and 200 lb-ft of torque from 1,250 rpm - 4,500 rpm. 0-60 mph acceleration for the 320i Sedan is estimated to require only 7.1 seconds with either transmission choice. Top speed is an electronically-limited 130 mph. The class-leading fuel efficiency of the BMW 328i Sedan is expected to be sustained by the new 320i Sedan, meaning preliminary estimates for the 320i with 6-speed manual transmission are 22 City / 34 Highway, while 23 City / 33 Highway are estimated for the 320i equipped with 8-speed automatic. The 320i xDrive model is expected to achieve 22 City / 33 Highway (Note: all estimates are preliminary at publication).

Engine Comparison Details: 320i vs 328i

Most of BMW***8217;s leading ConnectedDrive elements and vehicle versatility options from the BMW 328i and 335i siblings will be available on the new 320i. These include the aforementioned 8-speed automatic transmission plus BMW Assist telematics services, BMW Apps, heated front and rear seats, heated steering wheel, rear-view camera, xenon adaptive headlights, moonroof, split-folding rear seat, and BMW***8217;s Navigation system.

BMW 320i 180 horsepower

Befitting The Ultimate Driving Machine, a Sport Package is available for both the 320i and 320i xDrive. For the 320i the package includes 18-inch light-alloy wheels with summer tires and increased top speed limiter, sport seats, M sport suspension, M steering wheel and anthracite headliner. All-season tires with 130 mph speed limiter may be specified in place of the performance tires. For the 320i xDrive the Sport Package includes 18-inch light-alloy wheels with all-season tires, sport seats, M steering wheel, and anthracite headliner. Summer tires with increased top speed limiter can be ordered in place of the all-season tires.

Several other equipment packages are also available for the 320i Sedan, including Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Driver Assistance Package, and Lighting Package. The full complement of exterior colors from the 328i Sedan is available, with exception of Estoril Blue Metallic which requires M Sport Line (unavailable on 320i). 320i buyers will also enjoy a choice of standard Leatherette or optional Dakota Leather upholstery, both in a choice of Venetian Beige or Black.

F20 320i sport package

BMW***8217;s innovative 8-speed automatic gearbox ***8211; which was a first in the segment when introduced last year on the 328i and 335i Sedans ***8211; opens up a whole new level of driving experience. Compact and exceptionally efficient, it allows the new BMW 320i to match or outperform models fitted with the standard six-speed manual gearbox in terms of fuel efficiency (actual results vary depending on drive cycle). The new 8-speed automatic brings together shift comfort, dynamic performance and efficiency of the highest order, making it the perfect partner for the new 320i sedan***8217;s dynamic potential.

As components of the BMW EfficientDynamics technology line-up, the Auto Start-Stop function, Brake Energy Regeneration, and need-based operation of ancillary components (including an on-demand air conditioning compressor) also play their part in reducing fuel consumption. Added to which, the Driving Dynamics Control switch, which allows the driver to choose between Comfort, Sport, and ECO PRO mode, gives both models the potential to further improve these figures. ECO PRO mode helps drivers maximize fuel economy through their driving style, thereby enabling them to increase the distance they can travel between visits to the pumps.

Attachments

See less See more
#90 ·
Don't care about the 320, but if they decide to bring the M135i hatchback to our shores, that'll be a sweet DD.

#91 · (Edited)
I think it's nice to have a cheaper 3-series. It's not hard to load up a 328i to $50K. Which puts it out of the league price-wise with Acuras, etc. Which is where a 3-series still needs to compete.

Now, you'll be able to get a very well equipped F30:

320i @ $40K
328i @ $50K
335i/AH3 @ $60K

#96 ·
What's funny is that, from an options perspective, that $32k Acura TSX is a far more impressive car to step into.

I'm curious how much more down market they are going to move the 3-series. Part of the "pay for the badge" appeal has always been, in the U.S., the exclusivity.

This has been eroded substantially in recent years by lease deals and can be witnessed by the huge relative expansion of BMW ownership in the U.S.

Now they are knocking another ~12.5% off the entry-level cost and probably another $50 off/month on the lease deals.

Wonder how this is going to impact the long-term perception of BMW.

#97 ·
What's funny is that, from an options perspective, that $32k Acura TSX is a far more impressive car to step into.
But not to drive.

I'm curious how much more down market they are going to move the 3-series. Part of the "pay for the badge" appeal has always been, in the U.S., the exclusivity.

This has been eroded substantially in recent years by lease deals and can be witnessed by the huge relative expansion of BMW ownership in the U.S.

Now they are knocking another ~12.5% off the entry-level cost and probably another $50 off/month on the lease deals.

Wonder how this is going to impact the long-term perception of BMW.
So you have no problem with the entry level BMW creeping up to $50K, with just the standard array of options that a $31K Accord buyer gets?

#104 ·
I think the 320i is a good step and will still be a terrific drive. However, I'm more interested in something that has a compression ignition engine.

#110 ·
Wonder what bmw would do next? It would have been better releasing a 1-series.. instead of downgrading a 3'er.

Oh, well.. so they screwed with the 3'er.. hope they dont mess with the M3, M5, etc..plz leave at least 1 good thing alone... I know sales means a lot to you (bmw)... but Class is something ure cherished for!!

Amen.

#112 ·
Price-wise, BMW kept the M5 at bay, but moved the M6 and M6GC deeper into the $100,000+.

I expect the M3 to stay close to the current E92 M3 price and go really nuts with the M4 and the M4GC prices.

To me, the new reality will be moving most of the M sales to the upcoming 1- and 2-Series. And they will reach the high $50K anyways.

I do not know how much ceiling BMW thinks they got, but for sure they had to get into the $25-$33,000 bracket for volume just because they will soon have an over abundance of cars at the $65,000-$110,000+ bracket that will not be sold at volume regardless of incentive.

The X1 and the 320i are just the first step.

#117 ·
I cant wait to drive one of these.

6MT with leatherette, Roundel on the hood and RWD for 30k ish?

Dayum...:bigpimp:

#122 ·
Here in Atlanta BMWs are a dime a dozen. They aint exactly a status symbol.

Some of you are really over thinking this.

The existence of 320i allows BMW to move up the lease entry point on the 328i. Even by as little as $20 or $30 a month... at the volume they are doing, this is a significant profit driver. When you introduce a lower price option on an otherwise established product line, it is usually to signal to the consumers that the new middle priced option is the one they should go for. It's a tried and tested pricing strategy. You slice and dice the current 328i buyers... the ones looking for the stripper model will be very happy with 320i and the one that prefers lots of options will see that 328i still offers a compelling value proposition.

For sure BMW will carefully controlled the availability of 320i to the point so that it doesn't overtake the sale of more profitable 328i.

The end game here is raise the actual residual and/or lower the stated residual on the 328i (i.e. close the residual gap) so BMWFS doesn't have to eat $3,000 on each lease return.
Good point.

#121 ·

The existence of 320i allows BMW to move up the lease entry point on the 328i. Even by as little as $20 or $30 a month... at the volume they are doing, this is a significant profit driver. When you introduce a lower price option on an otherwise established product line, it is usually to signal to the consumers that the new middle priced option is the one they should go for. It's a tried and tested pricing strategy. You slice and dice the current 328i buyers... the ones looking for the stripper model will be very happy with 320i and the one that prefers lots of options will see that 328i still offers a compelling value proposition.

For sure BMW will carefully controlled the availability of 320i to the point so that it doesn't overtake the sale of more profitable 328i.

The end game here is raise the actual residual and/or lower the stated residual on the 328i (i.e. close the residual gap) so BMWFS doesn't have to eat $3,000 on each lease return.

#130 ·
Several years ago I rented on business a 3 Series in Germany with the 1.8l gas engine and 5 or 6 speed manual transmission, cloth seats, manually adjustable, with basically no options. It was a rental etc. i wasn't comparing this to any other car just driving around on my commute and making the most of the car on the windy roads etc. The car was a figging blast, loved it! Just a basic BMW with a small engine. But it was fun and that was all that mattered. And to someone on a lower budget this is why the 320 can do well.

#138 ·
Great, now the school parking lot will be even more flooded with F30s on lease! I wonder how many chicks back home in SFLA fresh out of high school/college will convince their parents to lease them one of these? I wonder if people would still buy a bimmer if they put a lawn mower engine in it?

Honestly though, BMW has some stiff competition on the horizon though:

Check out the Garmin-esque navigation in the CLA. (If you're not checking out something else...)

#139 ·
That CLA is a great looking car. Is that the new Mercedes entry level model?

#144 ·
I think its VERY funny to all the posters who are concerned about ruining the "status" effect of a 3 series.

Is that why you really bought/leased a BMW? :rofl:

I surely hope not, now every tom, dick and harry with any sort of job can buy a brand new, stripper BMW for low $30s and get the same dealership, maintenance and warranty experience as you "luxury car" snobs.

But to those who recognize that power isn't everything, this is a great opportunity to avoid paying nearly $50k for what has become a bloated, techno-laden compact car.

You can now get a nicely equipped, i.e. manual trans, xenons, a few other important options....for low $30s.

the deal should be great on euro delivery.

#151 ·
and another thing to remember, this is nothing new, the canadians have had this exact model for a while.

We see them all the time here in detroit, since we are 1/2 hour from Windsor.

Smaller engines have been sold in Canada and every other market in the world for a long time now.

#158 ·
While I definitely think that more choice is better for the consumer, what is the motivation for the 320i other than lower entry price? It might make sense if cars were taxed by horsepower.

Normally, buying a less expensive car gets you lower maintenance costs, but that does not appear to be the case with the 320i -- MPG, cost of servicing, tires, etc. -- are probably all going to be identical to the 328i.

#186 ·
While I definitely think that more choice is better for the consumer, what is the motivation for the 320i other than lower entry price? It might make sense if cars were taxed by horsepower.
I explained this a couple of pages back.

Now, if BMW end up poaching a few customers from Cadillac or Mercedes with a cheaper 320i, that's just gravy on top from their perspective.

#161 ·
Here in Toronto, if you see 3 series from a distance, good bet it will be 323 or 320, and if you get closer, most or the time it is true. You recognize them in the rear view mirror buy the absence of the corona rings.
But Canadians are paying for them as much or more as Americans paying for 328.
Just saying..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.