BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Entry level F30 320i heads to the US - Starting at $33,445

128K views 596 replies 103 participants last post by  floydarogers 
#1 · (Edited)
Entry level F30 320i

BMW opened the latest chapter in the 3 Series story as it announced the new 2013 BMW 320i Sedan for the US market. Constructed with the near-perfect 50:50 balance afforded by BMW rear-wheel drive and priced from $33,445 (including $895 Destination & Handling), the new BMW 320i packs a content-rich punch in the marketplace for premium compact sport sedans. Sporting a 180-horsepower TwinPower Turbo 4-cylinder engine, the new BMW 320i Sedan goes on sale in late-Spring 2013. Along with the new 320i Sedan, the BMW 320i xDrive Sedan featuring BMW***8217;s intelligent all-wheel drive system will also be available from $35,445 (including $895 Destination & Handling). The broad palette of standard equipment includes Bluetooth smartphone integration and BMW***8217;s Auto Start-Stop function.

2013 F30 320i US spec

Owners will appreciate the incredibly flexible 8-speed automatic transmission, while drivers seeking maximum involvement may opt for a traditional 6-speed manual on the non-xDrive 320i. 17-inch BMW light alloy wheels are standard on the 320i and 320i xDrive, with two different styles of 18-inch light alloy wheels available in combination with Sport Package.

The engine of the new BMW 320i Sedan is BMW***8217;s award-winning 2.0-liter TwinPower Turbo 4-cylinder engine, rated in the 320i at 180 horsepower at 5,000 rpm and 200 lb-ft of torque from 1,250 rpm - 4,500 rpm. 0-60 mph acceleration for the 320i Sedan is estimated to require only 7.1 seconds with either transmission choice. Top speed is an electronically-limited 130 mph. The class-leading fuel efficiency of the BMW 328i Sedan is expected to be sustained by the new 320i Sedan, meaning preliminary estimates for the 320i with 6-speed manual transmission are 22 City / 34 Highway, while 23 City / 33 Highway are estimated for the 320i equipped with 8-speed automatic. The 320i xDrive model is expected to achieve 22 City / 33 Highway (Note: all estimates are preliminary at publication).

Engine Comparison Details: 320i vs 328i

Most of BMW***8217;s leading ConnectedDrive elements and vehicle versatility options from the BMW 328i and 335i siblings will be available on the new 320i. These include the aforementioned 8-speed automatic transmission plus BMW Assist telematics services, BMW Apps, heated front and rear seats, heated steering wheel, rear-view camera, xenon adaptive headlights, moonroof, split-folding rear seat, and BMW***8217;s Navigation system.

BMW 320i 180 horsepower

Befitting The Ultimate Driving Machine, a Sport Package is available for both the 320i and 320i xDrive. For the 320i the package includes 18-inch light-alloy wheels with summer tires and increased top speed limiter, sport seats, M sport suspension, M steering wheel and anthracite headliner. All-season tires with 130 mph speed limiter may be specified in place of the performance tires. For the 320i xDrive the Sport Package includes 18-inch light-alloy wheels with all-season tires, sport seats, M steering wheel, and anthracite headliner. Summer tires with increased top speed limiter can be ordered in place of the all-season tires.

Several other equipment packages are also available for the 320i Sedan, including Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Driver Assistance Package, and Lighting Package. The full complement of exterior colors from the 328i Sedan is available, with exception of Estoril Blue Metallic which requires M Sport Line (unavailable on 320i). 320i buyers will also enjoy a choice of standard Leatherette or optional Dakota Leather upholstery, both in a choice of Venetian Beige or Black.

F20 320i sport package

BMW***8217;s innovative 8-speed automatic gearbox ***8211; which was a first in the segment when introduced last year on the 328i and 335i Sedans ***8211; opens up a whole new level of driving experience. Compact and exceptionally efficient, it allows the new BMW 320i to match or outperform models fitted with the standard six-speed manual gearbox in terms of fuel efficiency (actual results vary depending on drive cycle). The new 8-speed automatic brings together shift comfort, dynamic performance and efficiency of the highest order, making it the perfect partner for the new 320i sedan***8217;s dynamic potential.

As components of the BMW EfficientDynamics technology line-up, the Auto Start-Stop function, Brake Energy Regeneration, and need-based operation of ancillary components (including an on-demand air conditioning compressor) also play their part in reducing fuel consumption. Added to which, the Driving Dynamics Control switch, which allows the driver to choose between Comfort, Sport, and ECO PRO mode, gives both models the potential to further improve these figures. ECO PRO mode helps drivers maximize fuel economy through their driving style, thereby enabling them to increase the distance they can travel between visits to the pumps.

Attachments

See less See more
#366 · (Edited)
is it really true the only difference between 320i and 328i is 185 hp engine in 320i, and due to this $4k price difference, this sounds to good to be true. Acura has also brought a cheaper model starting 25K, it looks like trend, i am not sure it will be successful or not but most of times it has backfired. Jaguar with Xtype, Cadillac with Catera.

If only difference is in the engine then it is very attractive price for buyers. Until it is confirmed by some review i am skeptical about it. it could bring lot of buyers but then it like everyone driving 3 series. i am not sure i like it.

#367 ·
The engine is not the only difference, there are fewer std features like the lack of power seats and the fold down rear seat. Many of the options available on the 328 are not available on the 320. No DHP or technology package for example. Otherwise it seems the things that make the 3 series a great driver's car are there.

#368 · (Edited)
I've revised my thinking and contrary to my earlier position, the 320i will be a success because it attracts buyers, including my wife, who are shopping for a sports sedan that offers value plus performance. Working with the configurator, and being selective with options and packages, the 320i fills the needs many consumers are looking for in an upscale import.

Here's our latest configuration:

320xi BASE MSRP $34,550
Black Sapphire Metallic$550
Black Dakota Leather $1,450
Silver Matte Trim $0
Lighting Package $900
Sport Package $1,000
Heated front seats $500
Split fold-down-rear seat $475
Navigation system $2,150
BMW Assist with enhanced Bluetooth and USB $0

Destination & Handling: $895

Total MSRP as Built $42,470

#369 ·
I've revised my thinking and contrary to my earlier position, the 320i will be a success because it attracts buyers, including my wife, who are shopping for a sports sedan that offers value plus performance. Working with the configurator, and being selective with options and packages, the 320i fills the needs many consumers are looking for in an upscale import.

Here's our latest configuration:

320xi BASE MSRP $34,550
Black Sapphire Metallic$550
Black Dakota Leather $1,450
Silver Matte Trim $0
Lighting Package $900
Sport Package $1,000
Heated front seats $500
Split fold-down-rear seat $475
Navigation system $2,150
BMW Assist with enhanced Bluetooth and USB $0

Destination & Handling: $895

Total MSRP as Built $42,470
Yep, and you shouldn't have any trouble knocking the price down to about $1000 over invoice. Personally, I'm not a bottom feeder. I think it's great that the dealer makes some money, so I don't push any lower than that, but people on this forum go even lower than $1000 over invoice, and that's fine.

But bottom line is that you'll be able to get it for several thousand cheaper than MSRP if you really work at it.

#384 ·
A 320i does not make sense for an American car enthusiast.

It was and still is a substantial seller in countries where you pay an absurd amount of tax on cars with engines above 2 liters (For instance in Turkey, a base 320i costs roughly $70,000 and a base 335i would cost a whopping $195,000 had they offered!)

They started this marketing tactics with the E30 320is for Italy to offer something similar to a standard 325i - and they hit the motherload. From then on, they always offered the smaller engines in the 3 series with success. They are even offering a BMW 316i in those european countries.

But here in the US, the tax difference is not too substantial as both cars are closely priced and the advantage of choosing a smaller engine car is not very big while purchasing. In terms of maintenance and gas mileage, they still don't make too much of a sense as the difference between a 320and a 328 in terms of mpg and maintenance cost is very small.

Also, the car in its base form is not very special and I highly doubt that people concerned with price would switch over to a BMW from a comparable Japanese sedan as they only get a barebone car as opposed to a car with lots of equipment for the same price and better reliability in the long run.

The BMW name may be alluring to some and it may mean that they are stepping up to a higher class car,however, the 320i is the base model of 3 series and you have to pay dearly for even the basic accessories like HID lights, etc. In that respect, the car loses its attraction.

My opinion is that BMW is bringing this car to get a piece of MB and Audi's marketshare from the segment and increase its sales overall. It will also help them with the CAFE regulations in the long run.

#385 ·
A 320i does not make sense for an American car enthusiast.

It was and still is a substantial seller in countries where you pay an absurd amount of tax on cars with engines above 2 liters (For instance in Turkey, a base 320i costs roughly $70,000 and a base 335i would cost a whopping $195,000 had they offered!)

They started this marketing tactics with the E30 320is for Italy to offer something similar to a standard 325i - and they hit the motherload. From then on, they always offered the smaller engines in the 3 series with success. They are even offering a BMW 316i in those european countries.

But here in the US, the tax difference is not too substantial as both cars are closely priced and the advantage of choosing a smaller engine car is not very big while purchasing. In terms of maintenance and gas mileage, they still don't make too much of a sense as the difference between a 320and a 328 in terms of mpg and maintenance cost is very small.

Also, the car in its base form is not very special and I highly doubt that people concerned with price would switch over to a BMW from a comparable Japanese sedan as they only get a barebone car as opposed to a car with lots of equipment for the same price and better reliability in the long run.

The BMW name may be alluring to some and it may mean that they are stepping up to a higher class car,however, the 320i is the base model of 3 series and you have to pay dearly for even the basic accessories like HID lights, etc. In that respect, the car loses its attraction.

My opinion is that BMW is bringing this car to get a piece of MB and Audi's marketshare from the segment and increase its sales overall. It will also help them with the CAFE regulations in the long run.
I agree with your last paragraph. However with that being said regarding the 320 will not appeal to American car enthusiast, I recommend researching other BMW forums and there you'll read about how enthusiasts are discussing various options of tuning the 320's engine to achieve it's full potential.
Highest Regards.

#394 ·
The stripped down models are just targeting the brand conscious buyers. BMW to me was always about Performance + Luxury and the stripped down models are neither. Just get a decked out Accord or Camry and come out ahead with a better car and keep some $$ in your pocket.

#398 ·
I have to disagree with you. First of all, BMWs haven't always been about luxury. As to performance, I think that there are plenty of people who want the driver's "feel" that a BMW gives, especially if all you add is the sport package. There are a lot of driving enthusiasts who are not as concerned about straight ahead acceleration, but love the way a BMW "rides the rails" when cornering. They may also love the seats, steering wheel, love the dash display, love the "in the cockpit feel" that the F30 brings. These are things that an Accord or a Camry can never provide. The badge is secondary. I've owned a fully optioned Accord. It's fine transportation to get you from point A to point B. But, with front wheel drive, a steering wheel with no grip, and seats that won't hold you in place while cornering, it's no BMW. Not even a 320i.

#417 ·
Okay comparing to E92 xdrive -- if I am looking at the F30 sedan do I need

1. Sports line
2. DHP
3. Both?

Heaven forbid I could find one to test drive.
I think DHP is worth every penny. Really, the best option you can add, unless you're planning to mod suspension later. Keep in mind if F30 is an xdrive you will not get sport suspension with sport line, so for xdrive dhp is a must. sport line is worth it for the seats, steering wheel and nicer rims

#429 ·
It's all about volume. Selling 320s will enable BMW to defray the R&D costs of the platform across more units. While the engine is different, many of the other components and the assembly lines are the same.
VW Group has a cost advantage, because they own VW, Audi, Bentley, Lamborghini, Seat and Skoda. Technology that starts out in the high-end cars eventually ends up in the most basic cars which provides VW Group an inherent cost advantage.

#438 ·
The 320i will no doubt cannibalize some sales from the 328i. But the loss will more than be made up by expansion of demand at the bottom end.

No doubt BJ is super excited to no longer be driving an entry-level model.

#451 ·
No Dynamic Handling Package option with new 320. This is what makes a BMW The Ultimate Driving Machine.

#456 ·
this seems like a pretty dumb statement. there is a sport package with the 320i. the car is still RWD. its still more than fast enough to have a fun drive in.

seems like it'd still be a pretty good car to drive. just not as good as higher model BMWs. but i'd still drive a sport pack 320i every day of the week over say a v6 camry or a 2.0 fusion

#463 ·
The DHP obviously is more complex and cost more to add in. Given the nearly $4k price cut, the fact the 320 actually offers a sport package with all the necessary sporty elements and at a lower package price, is a win already. Complain about something else, the lack of DHP is not one of them.

#489 ·
I am amazed that we still debating the introduction of 320 will dilute BMW brand:rolleyes:

comparing BMW to Honda or other cars is not the point. I owned many hondas and still like them.

the e90 325 when introduced in 2006 was around $30K, the f30 328 introduced last year around $36K. A $6k increase can't be attributed to inflation or increase in the average household income. The f30 328i moved upscale and there is a need to fill in the gap below the new 328 with a 320 to compete with the likes of MB, Audi, Lexus, etc..

So, 320i price (basic configuration) is more than e90 325 (basic) few years ago.

#490 ·
the 328i is quite a bit more well equipped than a 2006 325i.

not to mention the 2007 328i was $2000 more than a 325i just for the model number change.

i mean a 325i came with 16" rims. 20% cost increase in 7 years. which if you compound 2.5% seems like its not that unreasonable especially considering the 3 became bigger, the 1 series came out (which moved the 3 slightly up market) etc.

#503 ·
It wouldn't surprise me if, sooner or later, the 3 series outsells both the Camry and Accord in North America. It already does in most of Europe where the 320i and even cheaper 3s have been on sale for years. The corporate strategy seems to be to move downmarket in a bid to shift more cars. Even the most expensive bimmers aren't that expensive any more, especially compared to the top of the line Audi's and MBs.

#505 ·
definitely. the 320i base is 7 grand more than a EX i-4 accord CVT. this is probably the most common model accord. for 7 grand, you lose things like power seats, and the accords standard sunroof, but you get some other features and a slightly more powerful car, a year longer warranty and free maintenance.

if bmw can convince even some accord/altima/camry buyers to just get the 320i it will help their economies of scale. i think a lot of people would look at the 7k difference considering BMW resale value and the maintenance costs of brake pads etc , and there will be just enough people doing it to make it worth while for bmw.

#524 ·
No, I think all BMW drivers understand that.

The way it works is you drive your Accord and you drive your Camry and eventually you make a bit more money and you feel a bit more comfortable and then you see your friends getting nicer cars and you stop by the BMW dealer and you realize you can afford a 3 Series so long as you give up all the goodies you got for free on the Toyota and Honda products and in a moment of clarity you say "okay" and then you take delivery and appreciate the refinement and you enjoy the driving experience and life is good until your lease is up and you realize that you really miss the goodies but you can't go back to those off-brands and so you suck it up and pinch a little from the college fund and get a fully loaded 3 Series because BMW has gotten you in its status trap from which there is no escape.

BJ

#531 · (Edited)
#538 ·
Hello all, I am a current Infiniti G37 6MT owner that has been caught by the BMW bug. After attending the Detroit auto show earlier this week, I can see myself either getting into a 320 with sport package or a base version of the 328. Unfortunately for Infiniti, the absence of a manual transmission for the 2014 Q50 is a deal breaker for me. I've owned 5 G35/G37s over the past 10 years, all with manual transmission.

If I can get a 320i 6MT with sport + lighting package for a lease around $350/mo and $1200 total due at signing, then I'm all in. I am 31, married with one child and am the target demographic for this vehicle. Since my lease is ending in December of this year, I have already started my search. Like most have already stated on this thread, the 180hp seems ultra conservative, so I wouldn't be surprised if the dyno numbers mirror that of an A4 2.0T (200hp, 235ft-lb). This is more than plenty for my tastes. Plus I'm sure there will be a tune available in the near future to bump engine output to near 328 power.

#539 · (Edited)
Go for it!

The 320 with the sport package and lighting package sounds great. The sport package is especially a bargain. In addition to the sport suspension and bigger wheels, you get the M Steering wheel, and you don't even get the M Steering Wheel on a Sport Line 335. I'd also add the Nav and rear view camera too, but that's me...

#540 · (Edited)
1. This has been a very interesting thread to read since I have been on the verge of ordering a 328i and now have to consider this new 320 vehicle. (These other car brands aren't really on my radar anymore since few have both RWD + MT; I've had a MT accord for many years but am tired of the FWD.)

2. The 328 is going to be a tough sell to the wife when she sees commercials for these 320s; even worse if they release a 320d that gets 40 MPG. Since I was going to get a 328i sportline with DHP through ED; now I am confronted with getting a 320 sport package without the DHP. It appears to me that would save me about $6000, and the only downside is I lose 60hp and the DHP? Can that be right? On top of that, I get to have the dakota leatherette in the sport package without being stuck with the black+red stitching? Going to be very, very hard to stick to the 328 unless I drive the 320 and it still feels like I'm in my Accord.

3. I fully understand why BMW would release this car. What I do not understand is why they have such peculiar interior color/finish combinations to particular lines. And the options on the 320 only confirm to me that it appears to be almost random.

#541 · (Edited)
Since I was going to get a 328i sportline with DHP through ED; now I am confronted with getting a 320 sport package without the DHP. It appears to me that would save me about $4000, and the only downside is I lose 60hp and the DHP? Can that be right?
Additionally, since you're getting MT you will get a short throw shifter.

But compared to the 328i sport line you will also miss auto dimming mirrors, power seats, garage door opener, one exhaust pipe :))), and some cosmetic stuff (like the black mirrors, high-gloss trim around the windows, and black exhaust pipe). If you are pricing with premium pack, then you just lose the leather, but it sounds like that is plus for you.

PS: You mention 328 would be hard sell after the 320...why is that? Is it just cost or something else? You mention 320d, but my guess it that will be closer to the 328 in price. In terms of MPG, the 320 is no better than the 328.

#543 ·
Reading the treads there's a lot of posters complaining that as of now the 320 will not offer DHP. I'm looking at a 320xi as daily driver with the Sport Pack, Xenons plus Nav. After driving the F30, DHP is a must. I see no logic why BMW is not making it an option. With that being said, history has shown if enough consumers pushed them, BMW offer it. For the record DHP is available as option for the 320 in the UK.
Highest Regards

#551 ·
What do you think the take rate for DHP really is? Certainly <10%.

BMW has already been on record as saying they want the 320i to be a simplified, "value conscious" car to order and buy, geared towards a younger market. The more features you can potentially add and order, the further you get away from this goal.

The enthusiasts with more income can chase the 328i/335i.
I read numerous people on this forum talking about how great and essential the DHP was. I asked two different dealers about it in person, hoping to drive the same car one--with and one without--and both said "it's a waste of money unless you track your car. You can always turn it down to "comfort" if you want a smoother ride." Neither had a single car in stock with it. And these are big SoCal dealers. So perhaps they don't know what they are talking about.

But I also suspect that if they are even slightly right then that would account for why you can't get it in a 320 and why the proportion of people discussing it favorably would be much higher on a forum about BMWs than the average person walking into a dealership.

#544 ·
I would say that unless you are at that threshold level where the choice is between some other cheaper brand or splurging slightly for a BMW, go with the 328i. It is the truly revolutionary car in the current F30 lineup while the others are just evolutionary.

#568 ·
F30 320i

One point not yet mentioned here is that, world-wide, the 320i is the best selling BMW 3-series. It's about time this car was offered here in the U.S. When I bought my 2003 325i, I didn't feel the need to pay for the 330i. The 320i specs are similar to my old 325i, a sport package is also offered, and there is a similar price savings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.