BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Entry level F30 320i heads to the US - Starting at $33,445

128K views 596 replies 103 participants last post by  floydarogers 
#1 · (Edited)
Entry level F30 320i

BMW opened the latest chapter in the 3 Series story as it announced the new 2013 BMW 320i Sedan for the US market. Constructed with the near-perfect 50:50 balance afforded by BMW rear-wheel drive and priced from $33,445 (including $895 Destination & Handling), the new BMW 320i packs a content-rich punch in the marketplace for premium compact sport sedans. Sporting a 180-horsepower TwinPower Turbo 4-cylinder engine, the new BMW 320i Sedan goes on sale in late-Spring 2013. Along with the new 320i Sedan, the BMW 320i xDrive Sedan featuring BMW***8217;s intelligent all-wheel drive system will also be available from $35,445 (including $895 Destination & Handling). The broad palette of standard equipment includes Bluetooth smartphone integration and BMW***8217;s Auto Start-Stop function.

2013 F30 320i US spec

Owners will appreciate the incredibly flexible 8-speed automatic transmission, while drivers seeking maximum involvement may opt for a traditional 6-speed manual on the non-xDrive 320i. 17-inch BMW light alloy wheels are standard on the 320i and 320i xDrive, with two different styles of 18-inch light alloy wheels available in combination with Sport Package.

The engine of the new BMW 320i Sedan is BMW***8217;s award-winning 2.0-liter TwinPower Turbo 4-cylinder engine, rated in the 320i at 180 horsepower at 5,000 rpm and 200 lb-ft of torque from 1,250 rpm - 4,500 rpm. 0-60 mph acceleration for the 320i Sedan is estimated to require only 7.1 seconds with either transmission choice. Top speed is an electronically-limited 130 mph. The class-leading fuel efficiency of the BMW 328i Sedan is expected to be sustained by the new 320i Sedan, meaning preliminary estimates for the 320i with 6-speed manual transmission are 22 City / 34 Highway, while 23 City / 33 Highway are estimated for the 320i equipped with 8-speed automatic. The 320i xDrive model is expected to achieve 22 City / 33 Highway (Note: all estimates are preliminary at publication).

Engine Comparison Details: 320i vs 328i

Most of BMW***8217;s leading ConnectedDrive elements and vehicle versatility options from the BMW 328i and 335i siblings will be available on the new 320i. These include the aforementioned 8-speed automatic transmission plus BMW Assist telematics services, BMW Apps, heated front and rear seats, heated steering wheel, rear-view camera, xenon adaptive headlights, moonroof, split-folding rear seat, and BMW***8217;s Navigation system.

BMW 320i 180 horsepower

Befitting The Ultimate Driving Machine, a Sport Package is available for both the 320i and 320i xDrive. For the 320i the package includes 18-inch light-alloy wheels with summer tires and increased top speed limiter, sport seats, M sport suspension, M steering wheel and anthracite headliner. All-season tires with 130 mph speed limiter may be specified in place of the performance tires. For the 320i xDrive the Sport Package includes 18-inch light-alloy wheels with all-season tires, sport seats, M steering wheel, and anthracite headliner. Summer tires with increased top speed limiter can be ordered in place of the all-season tires.

Several other equipment packages are also available for the 320i Sedan, including Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Driver Assistance Package, and Lighting Package. The full complement of exterior colors from the 328i Sedan is available, with exception of Estoril Blue Metallic which requires M Sport Line (unavailable on 320i). 320i buyers will also enjoy a choice of standard Leatherette or optional Dakota Leather upholstery, both in a choice of Venetian Beige or Black.

F20 320i sport package

BMW***8217;s innovative 8-speed automatic gearbox ***8211; which was a first in the segment when introduced last year on the 328i and 335i Sedans ***8211; opens up a whole new level of driving experience. Compact and exceptionally efficient, it allows the new BMW 320i to match or outperform models fitted with the standard six-speed manual gearbox in terms of fuel efficiency (actual results vary depending on drive cycle). The new 8-speed automatic brings together shift comfort, dynamic performance and efficiency of the highest order, making it the perfect partner for the new 320i sedan***8217;s dynamic potential.

As components of the BMW EfficientDynamics technology line-up, the Auto Start-Stop function, Brake Energy Regeneration, and need-based operation of ancillary components (including an on-demand air conditioning compressor) also play their part in reducing fuel consumption. Added to which, the Driving Dynamics Control switch, which allows the driver to choose between Comfort, Sport, and ECO PRO mode, gives both models the potential to further improve these figures. ECO PRO mode helps drivers maximize fuel economy through their driving style, thereby enabling them to increase the distance they can travel between visits to the pumps.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Just what BMW needed was another model!

#4 ·
Wonder what the reason is for the 320 - the 328 and 335 serve the low and high end 3 series models.

#9 ·
It's $4,000 cheaper.

That buys BMW many more customers who couldn't afford the base 328i and/or allows someone who really wanted a 328i with a lot of option packages to step down in engine class and accomplish that goal. Instead of taking a 328i and feeling forced to put no Line on the car or skip something like the technology package, now you can just cut the horsepower and keep all the goodies.

BJ

#5 ·
Interesting that they are moving the U.S. F30 down market some more. I woulda thought the 4-door 1 series would accomplish that.

I don't really understand this - a de-tuned 2.0 liter that gets the same fuel economy? Really?

#8 ·
What's the base price for the "no line" 328i?

#272 ·
Yeah, but do stripped down versions of 328s and 320s really count?
I think the entire point of this car is to offer a very cheap, BMW.

Lots of people here have posted that they really enjoyed the strippers...

In Europe these are nothing special, and can be had with cloth seats, etc.

It comes standard with bluetooth and other features that were luxury just a few years ago....auto power windows, etc.

I personally have no interest in computers in cars, streaming pandora, email etc.

I can do all of that from my smart phone which gets replaced every two years for a few hundred bucks.

Don't need or want the weight, complexity and cost of those systems in my car.

But BMW is clearly trying to compete on technology, not so much driving experience any more.

Everyone else is doing it too, including Audi, Mercedes, etc. Their ads don't talk about driving so much any more, but more about laser cruise control, email, embrace, traffic, checking weather etc.

There is one reason why they are loving this....PROFIT.

The computers/touchscreens etc automakers put into cars, which are comparable to really an iPad....with weather, gps, traffic, streaming music, etc. cost you thousands of dollars when incorporated into the car....HUGE PROFIT.

Same goes for blind spot, HUD, laser cruise control, all around cameras, yada yada.

This is all now "luxury"

#291 ·
The computers/touchscreens etc automakers put into cars, which are comparable to really an iPad....with weather, gps, traffic, streaming music, etc. cost you thousands of dollars when incorporated into the car....HUGE PROFIT.
So true - a nav at Best Buy is $129. A Nav at a luxury car dealer is $2000. Same goes for a crappy touch screen display that wouldn't sell for $200 if competing with the iPad. But put it in a car, and fools will suddenly pay $2000. :rolleyes:

#7 ·
Where will the rumored 2 Series fit?

#13 · (Edited)
If it were a shorter car, like 175-179 in length, I would have strongly considered waiting to get this one. As it is, according to this, the length is still 4,636mm, or 182.5", so that wouldn't interest me as much.

#17 ·
Well, if it were a shorter length, then it wouldn't be a 3.

They would have instead introduced a 1 series sedan, and by the way, I'm really surprised they didn't and really surprised they're putting out a 320i instead.

#14 ·
Yeah, they'll sell a lot of these. No doubt. No doubt at all.

Contrary to what a lot of people on the 'fest believe, a 328 is a real financial stretch for most people. This opens up an entirely new market segment for would be BMW buyers, a real huge market segment...

#26 ·
Very interesting thread. I think this might be the only country where consumers complain about having more choices (see some posts above).

By the way, there will be minimum 4 engine choices when new diesel specs are made public. Great time to be shopping for a new BMW 3 series.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Bimmer App

#208 ·
Very interesting thread. I think this might be the only country where consumers complain about having more choices (see some posts above).

By the way, there will be minimum 4 engine choices when new diesel specs are made public. Great time to be shopping for a new BMW 3 series.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Bimmer App
I don't expect it to be a great time selling them. It's bad enough now trying to configure/order cars for stock with all of the lines and packages. The combinations number in the thousands. And now, were going to add a whole 'nother car to the mix? Just imagine trying to sell from stock...

It used to be so much easier. It is brutal nowadays. And with the current glut of inventory, and all of these offerings, combined with buyers who are unwilling to wait 60-90 days for a custom order, and selling for invoice or less. The caliber of qualified CA's is sure to continue to drop.

#30 · (Edited)
This is disgusting. They will offer the M sport steering wheel on this "entry level" car BUT won't even sell me one for my 335 sportline ( I have tried). I have owned 9 BMWs and never been so disappointed in their control freak positioning of these cars.

Come on BMW----be true to your core customers and STOP trying to compete with every single car that comes out near your product's market.:mad:

#37 ·
BMW needs 335i in the segment to keep the competition on its toes, sorry a 328i cannot touch G37 performance, but can easily shut G25's.
The same with the ill fated ATS, MB C-class 250/350, the re-badged Toyota's IS 250/350. The only outsiders are VW group in this segment - A4 is a 328 rival, and the S4 is more positioned towards the M division competition.

#39 ·
First, the 328 can get very close to G37 performance, not to be a magazine racer but this does give a good foundation-much closer than the G25:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1205_sport_luxury_sedan_comparison/

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2009-infiniti-g37-sport-sedan-short-take-road-test

So the 328 is within a couple tenths of the G37, but seconds faster in most measures compared to the G25.

Don't forget, the ATS brags about the lower starting price thanks to the 2.5L. So now BMW gets to bring the 320 in which is as fast or faster at the same price. The 320 is already sold in other countries so it's kind of a no brainer to bring it here. It's just a detuned N20.

#38 ·
1) will you be able to somewhat affordably and easily "chip" this engine?

2) if the base price is $33k with bluetooth, etc standard....and nobody (at least on this board) pays MSRP for a BMW....what will deals look like?

For example, what will a $500-$1,000 over European delivery deal look like on this car......$29-$30k out the door? :dunno:

#48 ·
The person thinking $33k and a $299 lease are within budget and that $37k and $329 are not.

This is not so much a car for people on this forum, it's the numbers shoppers and the people who would consider the IS250, ATS 2.5, A4 BASE CVT etc.

#49 ·
This is a smart move by BMW. I bought an X1 because it was in my price bracket. Though I tried mightily there was no way I could get a 328 configured with the things I wanted at anything near the price I paid for the X1. A 320 would have let me get the new F30 technologies while keeping the price affordable for me. That isn't to say that I still wouldn't have bought the X1 instead because of the cargo advantages and the extra horsepower but it would have made me think about it.

If I wasn't leaning wagon I would not be in a BMW today because of the price of the 328. Perhaps I'd be driving a TSX or even the top end new Accord.

#50 ·
Now maybe it's just me, but the pictures of the interior of the 320i look like lower quality interior materials.

This makes me wonder if BMW is going to strip the 3-series a bit beyond just a detuned n26. Will it have less sound deadening, cheaper materials, etc. (i.e. the 1-series)

#51 ·
It probably will have what Mercedes refers to "Text" seat surfaces (like vinyl). That holds up well and usually looks very good.

#52 ·
I think this 320i will be a massive success. I have a 328i baseline in Alpine White, so exterior-wise the cheapest F30 available. Trust me most people love it and I get loads of compliments on it. I have a few options that bumped the price up but I've always thought that a stripper with no options is a fantastic deal esp. bearing in mind the free maintenance and discounts. If this 320i will be available lease or buy for a few bucks more than an Accord or Camry people will be all over it. Power-wise 180 is also enough for most people.

#72 ·
This is good news, it could mean BMW is moving the US more like Europe where you get lots of choice.

Anyone know what they took out to save $4000? Can't be just a detune.

#73 ·
This is good news, it could mean BMW is moving the US more like Europe where you get lots of choice.

Anyone know what they took out to save $4000? Can't be just a detune.
I think I read somewhere smaller brakes, but that may be in other countries. I also see the exhaust is different.

#80 ·
Anyone puzzled how a new model fits in the lineup should consider that BMW has always offered choices with considerable pricing overlap, depending on option choices (and no doubt for exactly that reason, making power output just another option). This is the 3 Series sedan lineup in Germany:
316i
320i
320i EfficientDynamics Edition
320i xDrive
328i
328i xDrive
335i
335i xDrive

316d
318d
320d
320d EfficientDynamics Edition
320d xDrive
330d​
Exluding the new introduction, we get only the variants in bold. There's plenty of room for expansion.

#84 ·
Quite right. I'm surprised it took over three pages of comments for someone to point this out.

My dad chose a 320i in Australia recently over a 316i or 318d. Of course in countries outside the US these cars cost a LOT more (as does the gas), so folks tend towards the smaller engines. If I remember, the 328i starts at $65k in Australia (a much lower price than the e90). Maybe the Aussies on the forums can keep me honest here...

#83 ·
Back in the E36 days, not only was there 318i/318is(the equivalent of our 328 now) but there was the 318ti which had even cheaper interior materials, the older trailing arm rear suspension of the E30 and a HATCHBACK to lower the price. In the rest of the world, this continued as there was E46 generations in other countries. I saw one in person last year in China where I took this pic:

#157 ·
Back in the E36 days, not only was there 318i/318is(the equivalent of our 328 now) but there was the 318ti which had even cheaper interior materials, the older trailing arm rear suspension of the E30 and a HATCHBACK to lower the price. In the rest of the world, this continued as there was E46 generations in other countries.
I remember test driving a 318i (e30) back in the late 80s. Cloth seats, basically stripped to the bone, below average sound system, but I absolutely loved it, and unfortunatey, I couldn't afford it either. I ended up buying a Nissan Maxima instead.

Of course, the affordability of a car is all relative. If you take 2 people making the exact same amount of money, chances are you'll get 2 completely different answers in terms of what's affordable or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.