2014 BMW X5 Revealed - Photo leak!

by Bimmerfest.com Member - AutoUnion on January 14, 2013, 10:08 am
BMW F15 X5 leaked

F15 BMW X5 revealed

These are the first images with the 2014 BMW X5 ahead of its launch sometime this year.
The third generation of the German SUV – codenamed F15 – has been spotted on a recently launched brochure of scale models made by Jadi Modelcraft. The photos were uploaded on the Facebook account of one of their dealers (Diecast Empire) and we get to see how the new X5 is shaping up.
If these images turn out to be accurate, the 2014 X5 will get the front fascia of the 3-Series, with the air vents on both sides of the front bumper from the 4-Series, while at the back the taillights come from the X3. We already know the interior will be more premium and in the United States (at least) it will be offered with a third-row seating option.
There aren't any confirmed details about the engine lineup, but it could include a 2.0-liter diesel with 245 hp (183 kW), a 3.0-liter diesel with 302 hp (225 kW) and a V8 4.4-liter twin-turbo generating 402 hp (300 kW). A hybrid variant is also possible, featuring a 3.0-liter twin-turbo and an electric motor generating a combined output of 335 hp (340 PS) and 332 lb-ft (450 Nm).
The X5 M is expected to get a different wheel/tire combo, a specially tuned suspension and slightly more power from the V8 4.4-liter turbo which in the current X5 M version puts out 547 hp (408 kW) and 502 lb-ft (680 Nm).

From Worldcarfans.com

Like the new front, hate the back. Feels like a bigger X3 to me. meh.

It definitely looks high end and upscale. BMW didn't screw it up I think.

Leave a Comment

You must be a registered member to comment on stories. Please take a moment to register for your free account now. If you already have an account, log in using fields below.

134 responses to 2014 BMW X5 Revealed - Photo leak!

Habsone commented:
January 14, 2013, 10:24 am

does not look good.
SteVTEC commented:
January 14, 2013, 11:45 am

Very nice! I like it quite a bit!
thefys commented:
January 14, 2013, 11:50 am

THAT is an awesome sig picture. I really did LOL

kanar200 commented:
January 14, 2013, 11:55 am

Based on these pics I think E70 might not loose so much on its value after F15 launch….
Die Wolfe commented:
January 14, 2013, 12:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanar200 View Post
Based on these pics I think E70 might not loose so much on its value after F15 launch….
x2!
Emission commented:
January 14, 2013, 12:32 pm

Looks like a Touareg.

- Mike
ND40oz commented:
January 14, 2013, 12:33 pm

Hopefully the Sport/M Sport flares make the rear look more beefy.
Die Wolfe commented:
January 14, 2013, 12:55 pm

I love the X1/X3 look! Hahaha
serge1 commented:
January 14, 2013, 1:18 pm

Could be due to bad resolution of the first picture, but put E70 and F15 side by side, and regular folks will have a hard time figuring out which one is newer vehicle..

Looks like the only things that changed in F15 is tail lights, head lights, couple contour lines, and a new hole in the fenders (they call them air vents).

I really dont think any of those changes are for the better. The stance is somewhat less aggressive, which is why they are trying to overcompensate the lack of aggression with the overly "mean" headlights...

Will need to see how F15 looks in real life, but so far, not planning to trade up.
NoI4plz commented:
January 14, 2013, 1:19 pm

Oh man....who hit this
Car with the ugly stick?

Please be a terrible render!
ductman commented:
January 14, 2013, 1:48 pm

Front end looks squared off similiar to the Q7 ?

Also I wonder how the powertrains could be that much different with the exception of the 8
speed trans in the diesel ( I assume )
Penguin commented:
January 14, 2013, 3:19 pm

Looks to me like the offspring of a mating between the E70 and a Porsche Cayenne.
Kzang commented:
January 14, 2013, 3:27 pm

It has a lot of resemblance of X1, X3...
solstice commented:
January 14, 2013, 3:31 pm

I always thought the rear view is the best of the E70. The best of all SUVs including the RR. Some of that is lost judging from these pix. I never really liked the E70 front very much and the F15 does not look any better. It does look squared off with oversized headlights and grill. Overall it's not a disaster but it seem to have lost some of it's unique styling and leans a bit more towards the people carrier look aka the Q7. From the pix I give it a B. I'd buy it if it's otherwise the best SUV.

I think they've done a superb job with the side view creases, especially the mid line and how it curves at the rear wheel making the rear fenders seem flared and muscular, very nice.
Kzang commented:
January 14, 2013, 3:38 pm

The new one does look more "athletic" and "nimble". And possible lost some weight...
The front has some elements of FX / Audi in it as well.
Marwan commented:
January 14, 2013, 3:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
Looks to me like the offspring of a mating between the E70 and a Porsche Cayenne.
If that means it inherits the best of both, that's not a bad thing at all...

Seriously now, I think I'm in the minority because I like the new design, overall. I never liked the shape of the rear lights on the E70 and for one I'm glad they went with that of the X3 (which to my eyes looks much better). The F15 is definitely evolutionary and not revolutionary, but I still like it. Can't wait to upgrade in a couple of years when my lease expires. I'm also looking forward to the lighter weight and hopefully a more powerful diesel option...
solstice commented:
January 14, 2013, 3:55 pm

I agree with those who think this can hurt the E70 resale value quite a bit since while not necessarily being much better looking it does make the E70 look quite dated in the pix in serge1's post. The more I look at it the more I like it and I really don't like brown cars. The big question remains though, how does it drive?
finnbmw commented:
January 14, 2013, 3:59 pm

I'll withhold my final judgement until I see one in person, but so far this new design does not speak to me. Glad I bought my E70's before they quit making them.
1naztyx5 commented:
January 14, 2013, 4:10 pm

I must say I don't dislike it, if indeed the picture is the actual car, from previous pictures on other post it look like a minivan. But this one looks mean. This thing in black would be sick! But lets wait and see the actual car in person to pass final judgment...
Kzang commented:
January 14, 2013, 4:27 pm

I don't know why but the transition from the headlights to the grill bothers me...
See attached picture where I've circled the area.
finnbmw commented:
January 14, 2013, 4:31 pm

Food for thought: Without the BMW badges and the kidney grill, would you recognize this as a BMW?
gregsX5 commented:
January 14, 2013, 4:40 pm

Take it easy guys. Let's not be so quick to judge.
highyo commented:
January 14, 2013, 6:04 pm

"since i own the old version, i will immediately say this sucks"

since i dont subscribe to that school of thought, i will honestly say that the F15 (if this indeed is the F15) is a very graceful looking truck in the front. the back, not great, but overal, very handsome
serge1 commented:
January 14, 2013, 6:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbmw View Post
Food for thought: Without the BMW badges and the kidney grill, would you recognize this as a BMW?
Probably. At least they left Hofmeister Kink.
Also, if you draw the line at level of headlights and tail lights, the part above is pretty much the same as E70.
DrT commented:
January 14, 2013, 7:20 pm

Like the new front, hate the back. Feels like a bigger X3 to me.[/QUOTE]

+1
Cdnrockies commented:
January 14, 2013, 7:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
I always thought the rear view is the best of the E70. The best of all SUVs including the RR. Some of that is lost judging from these pix. I never really liked the E70 front very much and the F15 does not look any better.
+1

The E70 isn't going to win any beauty contests.

The new one looks "ok", just like the current version. I don't understand the X3 comments, especially since it was only in the most recent generation that the X3 basically became a scaled down version of the X5. The X3 looks like an X5, not the other way around.

P.S. What is the deal with the trend back to poo brown colors?
ktono commented:
January 14, 2013, 7:51 pm

I really like the front and the forward reaching side crease. The hood needs a more noticeable center bump like the current gen. The back is horrible and looks exactly like a bloated X3 that I just had as a loaner while my 2013 50i was in the shop. I hated everything about the X3 looks in comparison to my X5, especially the rear end. Did I already mention that...? The roofline slopes down way too much, not as bad is the Infiniti FX or whatever they call it now, but to me it's odd looking.

If they could keep the existing rear look it would be a VERY nice looking replacement. Right now I'm not sorry I went ahead and leased a 2013, I can wait a little over 2 years and get the F15.
Kzang commented:
January 14, 2013, 7:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
+1

The E70 isn't going to win any beauty contests.

The new one looks "ok", just like the current version. I don't understand the X3 comments, especially since it was only in the most recent generation that the X3 basically became a scaled down version of the X5. The X3 looks like an X5, not the other way around.

P.S. What is the deal with the trend back to poo brown colors?
I think it's because the X3 had recently had its redesign and now the X5 is about to as well. So naturally since the X3 is out first we are saying it is following the X3 elements.
alphaod commented:
January 14, 2013, 8:09 pm

Looks better than the new ML.
Kzang commented:
January 14, 2013, 8:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by highyo View Post
"since i own the old version, i will immediately say this sucks"
Not entirely true for everyone...
I was driving a 2010 535i E60 and I was not happy with how the current 5 series looked and drove... Otherwise I would be driving around in the F10.

But I agree that there are probably people trying to make themselves feel better by saying that the new one is ugly.
kanar200 commented:
January 14, 2013, 9:18 pm

There is a nice Latin maxim "De gustibus non est disputandum"

When you see the car, you know if you want it or not. When I saw the pics of F15 posted today, I thought (hoped) it is photoshop work – especially the rear view is just ugly (for me).

It seems that it might be real design and some people like it. Good for them.

If it is real design, it is not so nice like e.g. the new 4 series concept. This car is very nice, so nice that I am trying to find a justification to have it though I do not like anything smaller than 5 series. But again "De gustibus non est disputandum"
georgejm commented:
January 14, 2013, 10:26 pm

I love my 12 X5d and this nut didn't fall too far from the tree and keep in mind what interior changes may come in this package if this is the correct image. At first glance it almost looked a little Jeepish looking but of course when you stare at the grille work that goes away. Kind of glad it's not like "oh man this makes my 12 look so yesterday", lol, but I think by the time it hits the showroom floor folks will have their wallet out. I ordered the wife a 13 Cayenne diesel loaded up, will be here in March so it will be a lot of fun with "na na na na na, mine is better than you're s. Will see.......Not ready to hate on this one.
nightmareuki commented:
January 14, 2013, 10:40 pm

not liking it
5seriesHB commented:
January 14, 2013, 10:45 pm

Looks like a Lexus
Here's what a real rear end should look like!
tribecaX5 commented:
January 14, 2013, 10:49 pm

(used) Porsche Cayenne here I come.
henrycyao commented:
January 14, 2013, 11:20 pm

The new look is not as bad as previous pictures. I am glad that F15 did not have a 3 series like headlight where it narrows to the grill. The front hood looks kinda odd. It slanted inwards. I hope that is just poor rendering of the picture. Otherwise, I don't hate it. It pretty much looks like a slight modification from E70 as far as I can tell. I gives it a maybe pending a closer look at the hood with some real photos.
ND40oz commented:
January 15, 2013, 12:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seriesHB View Post
Looks like a Lexus
You need to wait for the M Sport for the more aggressive rear end, doesn't look that different then the current except they added the silver plastic like the X3 and X1 have with X-Line exterior trim package, I'm betting this X5 has the X-Line treatment.
pa50i commented:
January 15, 2013, 12:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Like the new front, hate the back. Feels like a bigger X3 to me. meh.

It definitely looks high end and upscale. BMW didn't screw it up I think.
Totally agree.
As expected, lost some of the muscular stance of the E70. Weak rear styling, but not bad up front as far as a changed face in line with the other recent models.
In no hurry to give up mine for this...
pa50i commented:
January 15, 2013, 12:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
You need to wait for the M Sport for the more aggressive rear end, doesn't look that different then the current except they added the silver plastic like the X3 and X1 have with X-Line exterior trim package, I'm betting this X5 has the X-Line treatment.
I'm not thinking the M Sport will make the rear more "agressive" per se.

Maybe the X5M rear will be better. Hope so.
tol4o commented:
January 15, 2013, 2:58 am

Not impressed, looks girlish to me. I hope it will look better when seen in person. If it comes with the new electric steering big NO Thanks! I am not paying 60k+ for Toyota with BMW badge
Do you think the E70 looks dated? Not to me

Photobucket
NoI4plz commented:
January 15, 2013, 4:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seriesHB View Post
Looks like a Lexus
NAHHHH!! If its a true lexus, you need the predator grill and the luxury leather dash aka stiched slushed mold lol!

Dont know why but it looks bulbous in some weird way. Its Jeep GC meets Touareg meets x3 and 5 series. Its also seems it gained some ground clearance, interior volume. The spy pics posted on Xbimmer and also early in Autobild were spot on (if this is 4 real). The shots of the "waiting to be recycled, crash tested F15 in munich" seemed much meaner, but

Probably gonna love the interior refinement, but its doesnt look like its the mean E70. (Probably done for the purpose of purchasing the Msport versions of the F15). However one plus point for BMW is that they made the new F15 gender neutral in design.

Lexus RX=Femine E70=masculine F15=neutral
gregsX5 commented:
January 15, 2013, 6:13 am

On a similar note, the refreshed 2014 Grand Cherokee deserves a serious look.
ND40oz commented:
January 15, 2013, 9:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa50i View Post
I'm not thinking the M Sport will make the rear more "agressive" per se.

Maybe the X5M rear will be better. Hope so.
There's a pretty big difference between them in the E70, you don't think that will carry over with the F15?

Die Wolfe commented:
January 15, 2013, 1:44 pm

I like what ND40oz said; wait for the M sport package to judge. Cause honestly, IMO, the F10 doesn't look too sporty/aggressive/masculine at all W/O the M sport package (not knocking non M sports).

I absolutely love the look of my E70 but was initially concerned about a newer and better model coming out right away. Although this is just a rough idea of the next X5, I'm very happy I stuck with the E70 because I don't think any new model will beat its aggressive looks.
Chucktown commented:
January 15, 2013, 2:08 pm

That picture looks better than anything I've seen with camo on it. I like the front end there...looks more bull-nosed and "angry." I also like the side contour lines, but could do without the side vent. I'm curious to see how that translates on road spray to the vehicle on wet conditions.
Whippa commented:
January 15, 2013, 3:02 pm

What about this 300hp
plus diesel ?
Decboy commented:
January 15, 2013, 9:04 pm

I have to wait to see the final product. If that's the one, it looks more like an LCI X5 than a new platform. It looks like they just updated the front and rear of the vehicle. The rear looks too much like an X3.
dcharnet commented:
January 15, 2013, 10:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsX5 View Post
On a similar note, the refreshed 2014 Grand Cherokee deserves a serious look.
Absolutely. Great second gen V-6 Italian diesel with 8-speed, MB platform, 28-30 mpg highway, 420 ft lbs torque.
apw2607 commented:
January 15, 2013, 11:14 pm

What a bunch of nonsense. These are pictures of a bloody model car that may or maybe not real, or even based on something real.

This the year for all the crazy speculation and photoshops to go into overdrive.
alphaod commented:
January 15, 2013, 11:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippa View Post
What about this 300hp
plus diesel ?
If it's anything like the current hybrids, in lieu of the spare tire, they put in some batteries and an electric motor.

Anyways I would pick the diesel over the petrol if I was going to get another X5.
Sean commented:
January 16, 2013, 2:07 pm

Meh... It does not look dramatically different from the E70. Prefer the E70 M Sport.
Marwan commented:
January 16, 2013, 3:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcharnet View Post
Absolutely. Great second gen V-6 Italian diesel with 8-speed, MB platform, 28-30 mpg highway, 420 ft lbs torque.
Sounds like it's a great Italian engine indeed. I'll take it in an X5 any day. In a Jeep, however... I'll pass. Thanks.
Marwan commented:
January 16, 2013, 3:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippa View Post
What about this 300hp
plus diesel ?
+1. I also I'm intregued... Would love to have a 300hp + / 450 lb-ft + engine. Unfortunately, odds are we're only getting a smaller and slightly LESS powerful diesel engine (but with better MPG) than the current X5d engine. Hope I'm wrong.
Whippa commented:
January 16, 2013, 3:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
If it's anything like the current hybrids, in lieu of the spare tire, they put in some batteries and an electric motor.

Anyways I would pick the diesel over the petrol if I was going to get another X5.
The art. mentioned a 3.o ltr diesel with 302 HP...not the hybrid..
Alpine300ZHP commented:
January 17, 2013, 11:01 am

Quote:
Based on these pics I think E70 might not loose so much on its value after F15 launch…..
Depends on the price. If prices go up, and I am betting they will, then that will help E70 resale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission View Post
Looks like a Touareg.

- Mike
Yeah. Not loving it or hating it. Does not make me want to upgrade though. It is the same reaction I had to the F30 vs the E90. That was the first time a new BMW did not make me want to trade for it. Looks like that is happening again with the F15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge1 View Post

Could be due to bad resolution of the first picture, but put E70 and F15 side by side, and regular folks will have a hard time figuring out which one is newer vehicle..

Looks like the only things that changed in F15 is tail lights, head lights, couple contour lines, and a new hole in the fenders (they call them air vents).

I really dont think any of those changes are for the better. The stance is somewhat less aggressive, which is why they are trying to overcompensate the lack of aggression with the overly "mean" headlights...

Will need to see how F15 looks in real life, but so far, not planning to trade up.
Same here. The E70 does look more aggressive and sporty. The F15 reminds me of a Volvo xc90. More mommy mobile looking. I will reserve judgment until the M version is released before I decide if I will keep mine or trade up.

Quote:
I'll withhold my final judgement until I see one in person, but so far this new design does not speak to me. Glad I bought my E70's before they quit making them.
I suspected I might not love the F15 which is why I got the E70. I figured if I was wrong about the F15 I could always trade up when the M version comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0rd NIk0n View Post
Like the new front, hate the back. Feels like a bigger X3 to me.

It looks EXACTLY like a longer x3. I mean there is no difference whatsoever. They took the x3 and stretched it and stuck an x5 badge on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Wolfe View Post
I like what ND40oz said; wait for the M sport package to judge. Cause honestly, IMO, the F10 doesn't look too sporty/aggressive/masculine at all W/O the M sport package (not knocking non M sports).

I absolutely love the look of my E70 but was initially concerned about a newer and better model coming out right away. Although this is just a rough idea of the next X5, I'm very happy I stuck with the E70 because I don't think any new model will beat its aggressive looks.
Agreed and my opinion is not because I have the older one. I can easily afford to trade up to the new one if I end up liking it more than the E70. However, I don't see that happening based on how this thing looks. Maybe I ll like the F16 x6M.
blown383 commented:
January 17, 2013, 5:43 pm

i prefer the 2013 front air intakes, the f15 look small and feeble. they should really just use the x5M intakes.
this is a beautiful front end.....
blown383 commented:
January 17, 2013, 5:50 pm

i prefer the 2013 front air intakes, the f15 look small and feeble. they should really just use the x5M intakes.
Die Wolfe commented:
January 17, 2013, 5:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown383 View Post
Couldn't agree more!
tribecaX5 commented:
January 17, 2013, 6:09 pm

I think this one looks much better
mgarciah commented:
January 17, 2013, 9:40 pm

When I saw the new 3 series pictures I was dissapointed, but in "person" is a really nice car, hope it will be the same with this one.
PlzDuntBanMe commented:
January 17, 2013, 9:40 pm

I don't like it at all :S
sirgrotius commented:
January 19, 2013, 7:37 am

I like the front, not the back at all. I have an X3 now and if this were a little smaller I'd say, oh, the updated the X3!
trios commented:
January 20, 2013, 10:05 pm

I'm sure it won't disappoint.
ND40oz commented:
January 21, 2013, 12:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by trios View Post
I'm sure it won't disappoint.
Looks like the Sport package with the 20s.
BMWOO7 commented:
January 22, 2013, 8:05 pm

Disappointing...

My hopes are that the pictures that were 'leaked' are not 100% exact as they were intended for model cars.

I actually received a call from my dealer yesterday afternoon and he said that while they didn't have any pictures of it yet, that the new 2014 X5 was going to start production in August 2013.

I have my 2011 X5 (purchased 07/2010) and have been waiting for the 2014 X5 to come out for a while now as my intention was to swap out the 2011 for the new 2014.

As others have mentioned, lets not get 'too' critical of a picture of a model at this point and see what ends up on the new car circuit this year.

I'm personally hoping for a better exterior than what is depicted here, LED headlights and taillights along with an updated interior to mirror that of the 650i and possibly a really nice M package with a nice selection of staggered wheels.

On the engine front, a higher power diesel would be really nice, but with some significant gains in MPG. I look at what most folks are getting with their 35d's and I'm getting the exact same thing with my 35i.

To sum it all up, I'm really hoping to see a final actual vehicle soon as if it's not any much better inside and out, I'm just going to order a new 2013 X5M while we still can.
solstice commented:
January 22, 2013, 8:31 pm

With production starting in August you would think that they would want to start filling the order books around May. So official pictures can't be far off to drum up some anticipation.
serge1 commented:
January 22, 2013, 10:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWOO7 View Post
I look at what most folks are getting with their 35d's and I'm getting the exact same thing with my 35i.
No, you aren't getting same mpgs .

If new x5 is close to European 40d, I would be happy.
tol4o commented:
January 22, 2013, 11:27 pm

Quote:
Marwan commented:
January 23, 2013, 11:51 am

Quote:

If new x5 is close to European 40d, I would be happy.
MPG-wise, the new diesel will probably will be close to the 40d. Unfortunately, it won't be even close to it in terms of performance. Heck, at 255 hp and 415 lb-ft, it will actually be weaker than the one we now have in our X5 35ds!
kanar200 commented:
January 23, 2013, 12:07 pm

the reason is that it would be probably single turbo and 35d is double/twin-turbo (whatever the name), 35d US spec was downgraded in terms of power in comparison to Euro spec; 40d is double/twin-turbo and has 306 BHP right now, it is likely it will be more powerful in 2013/2014
serge1 commented:
January 23, 2013, 1:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marwan View Post
MPG-wise, the new diesel will probably will be close to the 40d. Unfortunately, it won't be even close to it in terms of performance. Heck, at 255 hp and 415 lb-ft, it will actually be weaker than the one we now have in our X5 35ds!
Yes, 10 less HPs and 10 less torques, but they say it will also be 300lbs lighter.
Maybe, just maybe, the performance will stay the same.
Unfortunately, the competion will likely move ahead.
kanar200 commented:
January 23, 2013, 1:05 pm

not really, we know already what Audi/Porsche will be offering, right? 245 HP as far as I remember
Kzang commented:
January 23, 2013, 1:32 pm

Quote:
the reason is that it would be probably single turbo and 35d is double/twin-turbo (whatever the name), 35d US spec was downgraded in terms of power in comparison to Euro spec; 40d is double/twin-turbo and has 306 BHP right now, it is likely it will be more powerful in 2013/2014
In this case having two versus one turbo does not mean more means better.

The N54 engine was a parallel twin-turbochargers while the N55 is a single twin scroll turbocharger. Both engines produced same output but the N55 was more fuel efficient, lower emissions, less turbo lag.
Emission commented:
January 23, 2013, 1:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
In this case having two versus one turbo does not mean more means better.

The N54 engine was a parallel twin-turbochargers while the N55 is a single twin scroll turbocharger. Both engines produced same output but the N55 was more fuel efficient, lower emissions, less turbo lag.
Yeah, but the N54 is a better engine from the enthusiast's perspective. More top end power and tuning capabilities. Even BMW knows that.

- Mike
Marwan commented:
January 23, 2013, 1:53 pm

Quote:
Yeah, but the N54 is a better engine from the enthusiast's perspective. More top end power and tuning capabilities. Even BMW knows that.

- Mike
Hey Mike, what's your take on BMW downgrading the diesel engine instead of upgrading it for the new X5? I realize the new car will be lighter and have an 8-speed (or even the newer 9-speed) tranny so the slight downgrade in performance will probably (or hopefully) be minimal, but come on seriously?!!!. Is it all just to achieve a better MPG and if that's the case is it worth the disappointment? I'm sure I'm not the only one here who was expecting a more powerful engine with better MPG (a la X40d engine) for the new X5d...
Emission commented:
January 23, 2013, 2:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marwan View Post
Hey Mike, what's your take on BMW downgrading the diesel engine instead of upgrading it for the new X5? I realize the new car will be lighter and have an 8-speed (or even the newer 9-speed) tranny so the slight downgrade in performance will probably (or hopefully) be minimal, but come on seriously?!!!. Is it all just to achieve a better MPG and if that's the case is it worth the disappointment? I'm sure I'm not the only one here who was expecting a more powerful engine with better MPG (a la X40d engine) for the new X5d...
The N57 is one of the world's greatest powerplants, but it is overkill for what Americans do with it. BMW brought it over to "educate" those in the States that diesel is a viable alternative to gasoline... plenty of power and fun (e.g., 335d). For the next round, now that we are convinced of its benefits, we will enjoy its superior efficiency... meaning less "performance" but even better mileage. I'd love the 4.0-liter turbodiesel too!

- Mike
kanar200 commented:
January 23, 2013, 2:23 pm

The difference in the fuel consumption between 30d and 40d is minimal

30d
city l/100 km 8,7
highway in l/100 km 6,7
mix in l/100 km 7,4

40d
city in l/100 km 8,8
highway in l/100 km 6,8
mix in l/100 km 7,5
Kzang commented:
January 23, 2013, 3:05 pm

Quote:
The N57 is one of the world's greatest powerplants, but it is overkill for what Americans do with it. BMW brought it over to "educate" those in the States that diesel is a viable alternative to gasoline... plenty of power and fun (e.g., 335d). For the next round, now that we are convinced of its benefits, we will enjoy its superior efficiency... meaning less "performance" but even better mileage. I'd love the 4.0-liter turbodiesel too!

- Mike
Isn't there a US regulation put in place for cars to be at a certain EPA standard starting 2014?
Hence BMW and other car manufactures focusing on meeting the mpg.
AutoUnion commented:
January 23, 2013, 7:35 pm

Quote:

- Mike
I'd sell my body parts for a Cayenne S TDI
Emission commented:
January 23, 2013, 7:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Isn't there a US regulation put in place for cars to be at a certain EPA standard starting 2014?
Hence BMW and other car manufactures focusing on meeting the mpg.
Yes. Sucks.

- Mike
dcharnet commented:
January 23, 2013, 8:33 pm

Quote:

- Mike
Quote:
Yes. Sucks.

- Mike
Very well said. Let China and India carry the ball on 350 PPM, right?
Emission commented:
January 23, 2013, 9:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcharnet View Post
Very well said. Let China and India carry the ball on 350 PPM, right?
If it were up to me, yes.

As long as gardeners are allowed to use emission-spewing two-stroke leaf blowers without any restrictions, driving a late-model emissions-legal vehicle doesn't bother me a bit. Today's cars, all of them, are amazingly clean compared to just a decade ago.

The rest of the world, and the gardeners, need to get up to our current standards before I should be forced to break new ground.

- Mike
henrycyao commented:
January 23, 2013, 11:38 pm

It does not seem to be much of a downgrade if it is only 10 hp and 10 ft-lb. I am more concern about the 8 speed transmission since way too many on this site complained about the lag.

Nevertheless, has new engine specification been confirmed. I thought it was just rumors. Lets not read too much into it until BMW release the data.
Emission commented:
January 24, 2013, 12:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrycyao View Post
It does not seem to be much of a downgrade if it is only 10 hp and 10 ft-lb. I am more concern about the 8 speed transmission since way too many on this site complained about the lag.

Nevertheless, has new engine specification been confirmed. I thought it was just rumors. Lets not read too much into it until BMW release the data.
The 8-speed auto will improve acceleration and fuel economy, but at the expense of "hunting" while under way. Some like it, others do not.

- Mike
ND40oz commented:
January 24, 2013, 12:30 am

Quote:
The 8-speed auto will improve acceleration and fuel economy, but at the expense of "hunting" while under way. Some like it, others do not.

- Mike
It has nothing to do with hunting, it has to do with pressing on the accelerator pedal from a standstill and nothing happening for a half a second.
Emission commented:
January 24, 2013, 12:33 am

Quote:
It has nothing to do with hunting, it has to do with pressing on the accelerator pedal from a standstill and nothing happening for a half a second.
That's software. Ouch.

That same complaint was lodged against a BMW years ago. Maybe it was the E53 X5 3.0...

- Mike
ND40oz commented:
January 24, 2013, 12:43 am

Quote:
That's software. Ouch.

That same complaint was lodged against a BMW years ago. Maybe it was the E53 X5 3.0...

- Mike
The N55 and N52T E70, F25, F07 and F10 all still have it, latest bulletin is SI B12 17 12 from November. What's really weird is none of the N63 models have this issue, so it's only the 8HP45 and not the 8HP70 programing.
Emission commented:
January 24, 2013, 12:45 am

Quote:
The N55 and N52T E70, F25, F07 and F10 all still have it, latest bulletin is SI B12 17 12 from November. What's really weird is none of the N63 models have this issue, so it's only the 8HP45 and not the 8HP70 programing.
Wow. You taught me something.

Personally, I am no fan of the 8AT. I am an old-school ZF 6AT guy myself (if I can't have my 6MT).

- Mike
ND40oz commented:
January 24, 2013, 1:01 am

Yeah, I'd rather have a 6MT as well, but the ZF autos are great transmissions. It's clearly a BMW programming issue since Audi doesn't seem to have this problem with the 8HP45, heck the F30 doesn't seem to have it either.
Kzang commented:
January 24, 2013, 10:04 am

Quote:
Some E60 ( 5 series ) with 6speed auto experienced similar issues. So I don't think it has to do with the 8 speed transmission at all.
Marwan commented:
January 24, 2013, 10:53 am

My 2010 X5d had it, and so does my current 2012 one. So I agree, it's not the 8 speed tranny...
serge1 commented:
January 24, 2013, 12:34 pm

Quote:
That's software. Ouch.

- Mike
+1
My 6sp 35d has the lag. Punch the accelerator and nothing happens for half a second.
Sometimes a bad idea when making left turns.
Interestingly, doesn't happen 100% of the time, but more often then not.
ktono commented:
January 24, 2013, 3:31 pm

I had the exact se issue with my 2010 X5 48i 6sp. Have not paid much attention with the '13 50i 8sp but will pay closer attention. If its software would the dealer be able to fix IF BMW decides to update it?
vernonpat commented:
January 25, 2013, 5:12 pm

I have a 2010 X5d with 3rd row seating and my father just got a 2013 X3 and I found the interior seating space of X3 to be not much different than my X5.

As each generation of X5 has grown bigger, I am hoping for a bigger 3rd-row seats (also with more space behind the 3rd row seat) in the next gen X5 as my kids have grown bigger. Would not want consider the GL350Bluetec b/c MB is just too soft.
finnbmw commented:
January 25, 2013, 6:02 pm

Those of you with sluggish acceleration have you tried to reset the throttle or the transmission?
ND40oz commented:
January 25, 2013, 9:57 pm

Quote:
Those of you with sluggish acceleration have you tried to reset the throttle or the transmission?
Yes, doesn't help. Motor Trend tested for it on the X3 and has a good explanation of what's happening.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...e28i_update_8/
ktono commented:
January 26, 2013, 1:18 am

Quote:
Yes I did on my 2010 but no difference. Have not noticed hesitation yet with the 2013 8sp. Maybe it's the crazy speed of the 50i that makes it not as noticeable.
henrycyao commented:
January 26, 2013, 1:53 am

Quote:
+1
My 6sp 35d has the lag. Punch the accelerator and nothing happens for half a second.
Sometimes a bad idea when making left turns.
Interestingly, doesn't happen 100% of the time, but more often then not.
I did not notice it on my X5. Perhaps lag does matter as much as I thought. I tend to do rolling start to before punching the accelerator because sometimes there may be pedestrian that I did not notice. So I got used to be light on the peddle.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Bimmer App
NoI4plz commented:
January 27, 2013, 12:11 am

I heavily doubt that BMW is going to add a 9 speed tranny for the X5. Usually the transmission launches concide with the 7. BUT again ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.

The lag issue has been prevalent since the X3 6 speed debacle. Anyone else recall the massive thread on the e83 thread about transmission lagg/lurch. Its been going on with their programming for agess, and it still hasnt been addressed properly.

I have a feeling that were gonna be seeing more variety in the X5 lineup. What do i mean?

In keeping with the growing portfolio of BMW and keeping pace with capturing more of the luxury market demographic, BMW is gonna play to their strengths:

Currently we have three different buyers of BMW:

1) Those who simply want BMW the material brand at minimal cost (just want the experience and socio-economic status of owning a BMW) (BMW X5 Base)
2) Those who want the BMW the performance eco brand (BMW diesel)
3) Those who want the BMW the performance brand (BMW X5 50i and M)

This is great but they can certainly add more models in between to get more:

Example:

1) Those who simply want BMW the material brand at minimal cost (just want the experience and social-economic status of owning a BMW) (BMW X5 Base)
1a) Those who want the BMW the performance eco brand at minimal cost (BMW lower output diesel)
2) Those who want the BMW the performance eco brand (BMW diesel)
3) Those who want the BMW the performance brand (BMW X5 50i and M)

With the addition of 1a, they can honestly eliminate the eco credit, and just offer the lower output diesel instead.

Again TOO MANY POSSIBILITIES.

But im expecting different output versions of gas or petrol
1naztyx5 commented:
February 2, 2013, 4:39 pm

i wanna cry!
Alpine300ZHP commented:
February 2, 2013, 4:45 pm

Let's wait until the real thing comes out. But if it looks like that I ll be keeping my E70.
1naztyx5 commented:
February 2, 2013, 4:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP View Post
Let's wait until the real thing comes out. But if it looks like that I ll be keeping my E70.
from what i understand this is the real deal according to what i was reading in Xoutpost, looks like a base model (i hope) i do see the "square" tips maybe 5.0 .

i hate how high the bumper over hangs on the fenders. a little fender bender and there goes your nose lol
finnbmw commented:
February 2, 2013, 5:44 pm

I'll keep my E70's. Their resale value just went up significantly....
AutoUnion commented:
February 2, 2013, 6:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1naztyx5 View Post
i wanna cry!
those look like rendering. Terrible.
henrycyao commented:
February 2, 2013, 8:19 pm

I thought the previous one was okay. The new leaked lights is even more like 3 series. I don't like it on the SUV. Even the 3 series seemed questionable with those front lights.

I hope LCI update will fix the issues.
Sent from my LG-P999 using Bimmer App
NoI4plz commented:
February 2, 2013, 9:16 pm

Render seems to be spot on, based on earlier renders, model car leak, and well spy shots fill in well.

All I know is that:

a) The renders seem to be different from the crashed X5 protype that was lying in the disposal plant in Munich. That was aggressive, this is not.
b) The rear is like a huge X3. The front is a new take on the 3 series connected lights
c) M-sport is gonna be checked off on alot more X5 owners trying to get the aggressive stance from the E70
d) We are all gonna b@#$% and moan about how the F15 is too soft or a bigger x3.
e) Those who have claimed to hate the design are also gonna say they will be keeping their E70 for longer.
f) after the launch vehicles have been claimed, all the people in D&E are going to jump ship from their E70s to an F15 with msport, dynamic drive, and etc.

newbimmerx5 commented:
February 6, 2013, 10:53 am

I have been holding my X5 purchase for the new model. The renderings are awful and not sure when we get a chance to see the real one. Does anyone know when BMW officially launch new X5?
blown383 commented:
February 6, 2013, 1:03 pm

if that's what it is going to look like, they better make the interior something special cause that looks like an fugly stepchild of the porsche cayenne
Marwan commented:
February 6, 2013, 8:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbimmerx5 View Post
I have been holding my X5 purchase for the new model. The renderings are awful and not sure when we get a chance to see the real one. Does anyone know when BMW officially launch new X5?
Car will most probably be revealed at the New York auto show in March. Production starts in August of this year.
1naztyx5 commented:
February 6, 2013, 9:20 pm

tol4o commented:
February 6, 2013, 9:28 pm

The shape of the body looks like Toyota Highlander to me
Kzang commented:
February 7, 2013, 10:17 am

Quote:
i wanna cry!
Based upon all the camo leaked pictures, I think 1naztyx5 has the actual new X5 picture here.
tol4o commented:
February 7, 2013, 10:28 am

The new dash board looks the same style as the new 3 series. The LCD screen looks like coming out of nowhere, doesn't look in place, don't like it
1naztyx5 commented:
February 9, 2013, 4:56 pm

Ok...looks like things may not be that bad after all, this looks sweet!
NoI4plz commented:
February 9, 2013, 6:31 pm

That looks the same as all the renderings, except that they used an updated color
Palate similar to the f30. Btw autounion and all those with the current v red vehicles, they seem to be replacing it for melbourne red or lighter hence u got a possible classic on ur hands (JK)
blown383 commented:
February 9, 2013, 8:07 pm

that's a 5.0, same truck..fugly
AutoUnion commented:
February 9, 2013, 8:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
That looks the same as all the renderings, except that they used an updated color
Palate similar to the f30. Btw autounion and all those with the current v red vehicles, they seem to be replacing it for melbourne red or lighter hence u got a possible classic on ur hands (JK)
I hope not. I really like the darker Vermillion color
tol4o commented:
February 9, 2013, 11:48 pm

Quote:
Ok...looks like things may not be that bad after all, this looks sweet!
Yes it's sweet girly looking honey pie, far from the aggressiveness of the current X5
Nick9597 commented:
March 20, 2013, 7:15 pm

This reminds me of every time a new Apple product comes out. There are dozens of pics that get "leaked" and then, at launch date...the real thing looks nothing like the "leaked" photos.
CamCrazy commented:
March 20, 2013, 7:18 pm

I definitely hope they don't throw us for a loop . Looking like every other car that comes out

Sent from my HERO200 using Bimmer App
NoI4plz commented:
March 20, 2013, 8:29 pm

Next Thursday Big reveal.

Watch them not do it and choose their own private SAV EVENT!
Durkis commented:
March 21, 2013, 8:27 pm

I hope we finally get some info on the F15 at the NY Show next week. Im torn between the 2014 F25 and F15...
sirgrotius commented:
March 22, 2013, 4:11 pm

Disappointed so far, but I'm very skeptical of these leaked images. I have been debating between a RR and X5, and did not like the new RR's look (2013). It seems the new X5 is going in the same direction.

Maybe I'm behind the times.
AutoUnion commented:
March 28, 2013, 10:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkis View Post
I hope we finally get some info on the F15 at the NY Show next week. Im torn between the 2014 F25 and F15...
looks like we got nothing from BMW
flexstar commented:
April 6, 2013, 11:18 am

What about a gas engine smaller than the 4.4 V8? Why not the current 3.0? I have not desire to have a diesel engine vehicle......been there and done that!
iBMWX5 commented:
April 7, 2013, 1:16 am

When will the public be able to order the new BMW X5?
deptrai commented:
April 7, 2013, 9:54 pm

What is the latest I could order and take delivery of a 2013 X5? I don't like the 2014 and my BMWCCA membership doesn't hit 365 days until mid September. Can I still get a 2013and get the $1,000 rebate?
3seriesbmw commented:
April 11, 2013, 11:03 am

Hmm over glorified station wagon comes to mind! It's too slim and narrow. It looks too much like a car. Where is the wide stance and bold shaping that the E70 has??
rawskyb commented:
April 12, 2013, 12:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by deptrai View Post
What is the latest I could order and take delivery of a 2013 X5? I don't like the 2014 and my BMWCCA membership doesn't hit 365 days until mid September. Can I still get a 2013and get the $1,000 rebate?
The manufacturing lines typically shut down for ~1 month to re-tool for a new model. So since the F15 begins production in August, that likely means the last E70s will be made in he ~July timeframe. So if you want to order, you would need to do so in time to get a July production date. Not sure how you would possibly pull off your rebate if you don't hit your 1-year anniversary until September.

Sorry.
Kzang commented:
April 24, 2013, 3:51 pm

http://woodyscarsite.blogspot.com/20...ial-image.html

Yuck... The front just looks too busy with so many holes... Hood lines are identical to the F10 5 series. Maybe the LCI will improve the look?
NoI4plz commented:
April 28, 2013, 9:30 am

Autobild^ im guessing.

Its confusing, since alot of the mockups are somewhat different in front end design. My only hope for the F15, is if they stick with the design that was captured on camera after the vehicle was left in the BMW dismantling facilities. That car, even without the headlights and trimmings, was mean looking.
kosmo commented:
May 4, 2013, 9:58 pm

Looks great. Makes the old one look dowdy!
willie.calcote commented:
May 25, 2013, 3:33 pm

HELLO My Name is Willie Calcote, this is my first post, I am very glad to be a member of the family.
willie.calcote commented:
May 25, 2013, 3:38 pm

HELLO My Name is Willie Calcote, this is my first post, I am very glad to be a member of the family. I am looking for more picture on the 2014 bmw x5, can someone tell me where i can look to find them.