Does the new Corvette's have a better dash display than BMW?

by Bimmerfest.com Member - CALWATERBOY on January 15, 2013, 11:39 pm

DO YA THINK?

Does it ride comfortably yet handle? Remains to be seen. Ditto BMW's survivability.....egad!

Leave a Comment

You must be a registered member to comment on stories. Please take a moment to register for your free account now. If you already have an account, log in using fields below.

180 responses to Does the new Corvette's have a better dash display than BMW?

boltjaM3s commented:
January 15, 2013, 11:46 pm

Corvette?

They still make that thing? I thought all its customers were dead.

BJ
408Racer commented:
January 15, 2013, 11:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
DO YA THINK?

Does it ride comfortably yet handle? Remains to be seen. Ditto BMW's survivability.....egad!
Video games for the gold chains and white belt crowd as they cruise at 45mph wishing they were as handsome as those "soft" men in their "wimpy" four-banger Hitler-mobiles.
beden1 commented:
January 16, 2013, 12:09 am

Quote:
DO YA THINK?

Magnetic suspension can be adjusted to be comfy if you wish. The tires on the C7 will be narrower than the C6 which should also help soften the ride.

That dash is super. The cars are so fast when you get on them, you don't want to be having to search for the tack and speed. Now it's right in your face. Plus, the Vette has had the heads up display since the 1980's.

The Vette is not for someone who runs errands to the supermarket and spends the rest of their time taking kids to school and to sports team practices in their 4 banger. It's for those who enjoy the freedom of the open road.

I think this Vette will be a winner and may just attract a new generation of buyers. I am very happy to now be a Porsche owner, but if not, I would be all over this car.
captainaudio commented:
January 16, 2013, 1:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
Magnetic suspension can be adjusted to be comfy if you wish. The tires on the C7 will be narrower than the C6 which should also help soften the ride.

That dash is super. The cars are so fast when you get on them, you don't want to be having to search for the tack and speed. Now it's right in your face. Plus, the Vette has had the heads up display since the 1980's.

The Vette is not for someone who runs errands to the supermarket and spends the rest of their time taking kids to school and to sports team practices in their 4 banger. It's for those who enjoy the freedom of the open road.

I think this Vette will be a winner and may just attract a new generation of buyers. I am very happy to now be a Porsche owner, but if not, I would be all over this car.
The Manhattan debut of the C7 Corvette is tomorrow at 6:30. Ms. Audio and I have invitations, we intend to be there and I will post pictures. This is almost 60 years to the day from the debut of the original Corvette at GM Motorama at the Waldorf Astoria. I was told they will have the original Corvette from that show and at least one of each other series on display.

CA
SergioK commented:
January 16, 2013, 4:52 am

Sweet!.
pony_trekker commented:
January 16, 2013, 5:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Corvette?

They still make that thing? I thought all its customers were dead.

BJ
No. Just hair is glued on. Head. Not chest.
JoeFromPA commented:
January 16, 2013, 5:38 am

GM, dominantly through the corvette outlet, has my enormous respect for continuing the development of their LS/LT pushrod v8. Today it's simpler, more reliable, and more economical (both to own and fuel wise) than almost all similar production engines. It's gotten lighter and more compact along the way too, and it's well known to be able to push huge power levels (N/A or FI) easily and reliably.

I found the last generation to finally have a body style I could admire. The interior wasn't there for me.

Now this new one....well, we'll see what happens with the rear end of it.
krash commented:
January 16, 2013, 7:27 am

I'd like to have a new 'vette to go along with my new 335.
CALWATERBOY commented:
January 16, 2013, 8:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony_trekker View Post
No. Just hair is glued on. Head. Not chest.

Ha! That's a thing only a Prius owner would do. Or maybe the spray can, from UHF of yesteryear.

Plugs....sophisticates do plugs....
The X Men commented:
January 16, 2013, 9:31 am

I think this gen of Corvette is a winner, there hasnt been this much excitment about the Corvette in a while. The new design is spot one, the interior is still typical Corvette. The gauge is a bit too X-Box for me, I like traditional gauges with high quality material.
dtc100 commented:
January 16, 2013, 10:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Ms. Audio and I have invitations, we intend to be there and I will post pictures.
CA
Please do, a lot of them, both in and out, thanks!

Either a Porsche or a Vette is on my bucket list Although I don't see myself getting one of them yet, it's nice to see where they are heading.

Lately I do see more and more strikingly good looking young professional women stepping out of a vette.
vern commented:
January 16, 2013, 11:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
+1 Good luck
cheers
vern
jfox335i commented:
January 16, 2013, 11:12 am

Interesting. Better then BMW, no, but that's just personal preference. I loved Vette's as a kid, I'm sort of indifferent to them now. Don't get me wrong, I would take one in a heartbeat if it were given, but if had 100k to blow, a vette wouldn't be in the top 5 of choices.
beden1 commented:
January 16, 2013, 11:13 am

Quote:
The Manhattan debut of the C7 Corvette is tomorrow at 6:30. Ms. Audio and I have invitations, we intend to be there and I will post pictures. This is almost 60 years to the day from the debut of the original Corvette at GM Motorama at the Waldorf Astoria. I was told they will have the original Corvette from that show and at least one of each other series on display.

CA
That sounds like a fun event.
boltjaM3s commented:
January 16, 2013, 12:13 pm

Quote:

CA
Please don't take pictures of the new car.

Instead, please take pictures of prospective buyers looking at the new car. Interested to see how many walkers and Hurry-Cane's are being used and where they intend to store them.

BJ
MonkeyCMonkeyDo commented:
January 16, 2013, 12:20 pm

I find it odd that everyone freaked out about the little side vent on the 4 series coupe but nobody has said anything about the million black plastic vents and covers all over this car. The hood, the fender, the top of the back fenders. It is everywhere. I would have to get a black one to hide them. I understand function, but they look like PepBoys glued on "style" accessories.

I do love the direction car makers are going with the fully digital configurable dash displays. Ford Escape has a pretty cool one as well.

This is the first Corvette since the 70s that has a back end that actually looks designed. I used to always joke that the corvette had a great design until you looked at it from behind. It always looked like the block of clay they started with. As though they got tired of carving by the time they got there and just stuck on a couple tail lights and called it a day.
chris328 commented:
January 16, 2013, 12:38 pm

IROC-Z yo
boltjaM3s commented:
January 16, 2013, 12:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris328 View Post
IROC-Z yo
I have no idea who buys these things anymore. And, no joke, every time I look inside the cockpit of the 1 Corvette I see every month I see a grandfather with stretched tattoos.

BJ
sr5959 commented:
January 16, 2013, 12:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
Lately I do see more and more strikingly good looking young professional women stepping out of a vette.
For some reason that sounds very creepy dtc!
dtc100 commented:
January 16, 2013, 12:48 pm

Quote:
I have no idea who buys these things anymore. And, no joke, every time I look inside the cockpit of the 1 Corvette I see every month I see a grandfather with stretched tattoos.

BJ
BJ, not only your talk is getting old, you are talking like an old man lately.

Carnook commented:
January 16, 2013, 12:51 pm

Only amateurs have to look at the dash to see their speed or RPMs. True drivers just know it by the feel of the car.

dtc100 commented:
January 16, 2013, 12:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyCMonkeyDo View Post

This is the first Corvette since the 70s that has a back end that actually looks designed. I used to always joke that the corvette had a great design until you looked at it from behind. It always looked like the block of clay they started with. As though they got tired of carving by the time they got there and just stuck on a couple tail lights and called it a day.
The back end reminded me of the new Porsche. It is definitely more upscale look inside and out. But one thing I learned, seeing the photos is very different than seeing in person.

I do like the BMW performance steering wheel a lot, but the sport seats can be more aggressive like the above in a real sports car. Unfortunately all the sport interior upgrades in the F30 cannot hide the impression the exterior looks more and more "executive" than sport.
boltjaM3s commented:
January 16, 2013, 1:13 pm

Quote:
If those photos are intended to make me think that the new Corvette is a young man's car, it's having the opposite effect.

And like the ATS, the Corvette is not a direct competitor to the 3 Series, and while it's fun to talk about these kind of strange, niche vehicles it doesn't really belong here so you shouldn't get upset when F30 owners voice their opinions.

BJ
dtc100 commented:
January 16, 2013, 1:17 pm

Quote:
If those photos are intended to make me think that the new Corvette is a young man's car, it's having the opposite effect.

And like the ATS, the Corvette is not a direct competitor to the 3 Series, and while it's fun to talk about these kind of strange, niche vehicles it doesn't really belong here so you shouldn't get upset when F30 owners voice their opinions.

BJ
Who is sounding upset? My grandpa, who could not stop talking about things happened decades ago, because he could not remember anything more recent. He was upset.

Of course I just learned you tend to use the word "opposite" in some unexpected fashion.
Jamesonsviggen commented:
January 16, 2013, 1:32 pm

Pretty stoked to see this! It's always good when the Alma Matter gets press-a lot of people watch BJ Scottsdale.
http://www.collegeforcreativestudies...to-benefit-ccs
BMW220i commented:
January 16, 2013, 2:15 pm

BMW does not have the best dash display. Saab gets that distinction.

The speedometer should be in the center, like Saab and Mercedes.

Illumination is disputable. BMW reddish/orange light is used because the eye is red weak so it disrupts night vision less. However, there is brake light confusion and slower reaction time when others' brake lights blend in with your BMW dash lights. Furthermore, since the eye is red weak, the intensity of light has to be higher than green, which requires less intensity to notice the dash. Overall, I think a dim green is better than red/orange. Saabs have dim green.
dtc100 commented:
January 16, 2013, 3:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW220i View Post

I really wish they put the tachometer front and center like Porsche, people who don't know how to drive need help to know where the engine revolutions are
408Racer commented:
January 16, 2013, 3:07 pm

Quote:
It is definitely more upscale look inside and out. But one thing I learned, seeing the photos is very different than seeing in person.
The switchgear (particularly the turn signal stalk) has that standard GM parts bin look (and probably feel).

Seats look good, however.
The X Men commented:
January 16, 2013, 3:46 pm

Quote:
since the eye is red weak, the intensity of light has to be higher than green, which requires less intensity to notice the dash. Overall, I think a dim green is better than red/orange. Saabs have dim green.
I knew there was a reason I dont like SAAB, those green gauges look pretty bad:

January 16, 2013, 3:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
I knew there was a reason I dont like SAAB, those green gauges look pretty bad:

Lol.

Those are dating back to the late 90's

I always found them clean clear and easily legible.
beden1 commented:
January 16, 2013, 4:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnook View Post
Only amateurs have to look at the dash to see their speed or RPMs. True drivers just know it by the feel of the car.

I had an '09 ZO6, my third Corvette. Have you ever driven one? 98% of the time, I never look at the tach because I can hear/feel when to shift. It's the 2% of the time when pushing it to the limits and the RPMs shoot to redline very quickly, when one needs to know where the needle is before the limiter kicks in. Someone who has never driven a very fast car would not understand.
beden1 commented:
January 16, 2013, 4:32 pm

Quote:
Please don't take pictures of the new car.

Instead, please take pictures of prospective buyers looking at the new car. Interested to see how many walkers and Hurry-Cane's are being used and where they intend to store them.

BJ
It's funny how some make comments like this when they are driving family sedans with 4 cylinder engines and their other vehicle is a Honda minivan.

At least some of those spirited old guys are still trying to live the life that some others have only read about.
January 16, 2013, 6:34 pm

Quote:
I had an '09 ZO6, my third Corvette. Have you ever driven one? 98% of the time, I never look at the tach because I can hear/feel when to shift. It's the 2% of the time when pushing it to the limits and the RPMs shoot to redline very quickly, when one needs to know where the needle is before the limiter kicks in. Someone who has never driven a very fast car would not understand.
Correct, when my 13-16(got blower cams now) of psi hits the first couple of gears are off the limiter instantly. The zo6 revs very nicely, most have never experienced anything like it.
dtc100 commented:
January 16, 2013, 7:28 pm

He was obviously joking, so was I.
captainaudio commented:
January 16, 2013, 8:41 pm

Just left the event. Took lots of pics.
Pics and details to follow shortly ,

CA
boltjaM3s commented:
January 16, 2013, 8:50 pm

Quote:

CA
How were the prunes? Was the Sanka hot enough?

BJ
captainaudio commented:
January 16, 2013, 10:19 pm

There were a number of classic Corvettes on display including a 1953 that was reportedly the third Corvette ever built. There was a 1967 396 coupe, several 1970's Mako Sharks and a few C6s. They were showing films of Corvette racing history including a few shots of John Fitch at LeMans.

The new car was a big hit. I got sat in it and the seats and interior are a bit step up from the previous model. there is a reasonable size trunk that could easily hold enough luggage for a weekend trip by two people.

Overall I would say it was very well received. I'll download and edit the pictures I took tomorrow morning.

CA
beden1 commented:
January 17, 2013, 12:21 am

Quote:

CA
How was the seating room in the interior? The pictures look like it's a bit tighter as compared to the C6.

I checked with my friend who owns a local Chevy dealership and he was under the impression the Philly show will have one on display (maybe the one you saw in NYC)?. I was planning to attend Friday night for their pre-opening where attendees can sit in the cars, but I got tagged for another obligation. I'm now going on Saturday.
captainaudio commented:
January 17, 2013, 12:50 am

Quote:
How was the seating room in the interior? The pictures look like it's a bit tighter as compared to the C6.

I checked with my friend who owns a local Chevy dealership and he was under the impression the Philly show will have one on display (maybe the one you saw in NYC)?. I was planning to attend Friday night for their pre-opening where attendees can sit in the cars, but I got tagged for another obligation. I'm now going on Saturday.
I did not find the interior to be cramped and I sat in both the drivers and passengers seat. In both cases there was someone sitting next to me,
I found the interior to be acceptable, and it did not feel cheap, Certainly up to the level if the F30 I sat in last week. Not at the level of Ms, Audio's Jag XKR or our friends new Porsche Panamera but I felt it was very acceptable for a sports car in this price range.

It will be interesting to see what you think after you see it, One of the guys that was part of our group (The Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society) has a C7 on order. He is a real Corvette devotee and has a collection of 18 Corvettes with every body style represented. I am not sure when he will be taking delivery,

CA
pkim1079 commented:
January 17, 2013, 12:55 am

Quote:
BMW does not have the best dash display. Saab gets that distinction.

WRONG. The tachometer belongs in the center. Like every other perfomance car. Even lexus gets that right.
pkim1079 commented:
January 17, 2013, 1:00 am

Dude this car is dope. How can anyone not like it? Ive always hated american muscle cars. The last vette was pretty nice. This one is just awesome.

BUT THEY HAVE RUNFLATS?!?!
captainaudio commented:
January 17, 2013, 1:11 am

I have several 4x6 B&W copies of this photo of John Fitch in the #3 Cunningham Corvette that was raced by Fitch and Bob Grossman at LeMans in 1960. To the best of my knowledge the picture was taken at the Corvettes at Carlisle (PA) event in 2003.

The pictures are signed by John Fitch (they are reproductions including the signature)

On the back of the photo it says:

To this for whom automobiles are forever
fascinating; for those who see in a turning wheel
both the principal of motion and the promise of
other horizons, For those who see in a fine
automobile an expression of the man's will, one form
of his art and the evidence of his longing to move
with precision and grace.

....."Adventures on Wheels"
Autobiography of John Fitch

Fitch was to a large extent responsible for setting up the first Corvette racing team and establishing the Corvette as a force to be reckoned with in International Road Racing,

If anyone would like a copy PM me your mailing address and I will send you one,

The supply is limited so order yours today!

But wait, there's more! If you are one of the first 5 callers you will also get a copy of the notorious "Pothole Explosions The Movie" posters!
This rare poster is doubling in value every year. Last year it was worthless and today it is worth twice that!

CA
mr29 commented:
January 17, 2013, 6:36 am

cool inside. but yea only see old guys driving these things

Sent from my XT557 using Bimmer App
krash commented:
January 17, 2013, 7:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr29 View Post
cool inside. but yea only see old guys driving these things

Yeah, because we can actually afford it.
beden1 commented:
January 17, 2013, 10:07 am

Quote:
Yeah, because we can actually afford it.
That's the real reason for sure. A Corvette, and 2 seater sports cars like it, is usually a weekend car as most people don't use them as daily drivers.
The X Men commented:
January 17, 2013, 11:02 am

The only time you see a young guy driving a Corvette is when he borrow it from his father, usually the smile is from ear to ear.
dtc100 commented:
January 17, 2013, 11:04 am

Quote:
The only time you see a young guy driving a Corvette is when he borrow it from his father, usually the smile is from ear to ear.
But still, it is depressing every time I am at an autox or track event, it is always some vette way ahead of everyone else
BobRBob commented:
January 17, 2013, 4:09 pm

No question the average age of a Corvette owner is getting up there. With this new car they hope to attract some of the younger folks buying Porches and BMWs and Audis.
We shall see; it it's a pretty slick offering.
Popoemt commented:
January 17, 2013, 4:16 pm

Quote:
DO YA THINK?

If you check out the new stingray dash... It's pretty similar to the LCI display for BMW (I believe only Europe/Canada gets it), it's pretty sick, and the new interior on the corvette looks a lot less "plasticky"... I'd take my C5 over the garbage C6 interior any day...
408Racer commented:
January 17, 2013, 4:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popoemt View Post
If you check out the new stingray dash... It's pretty similar to the LCI display for BMW (I believe only Europe/Canada gets it), it's pretty sick, and the new interior on the corvette looks a lot less "plasticky"... I'd take my C6 over the garbage C7 interior any day...
Your C6 has a much cleaner exterior design as well. With all the stuff going on with the C7's body, I would not be surprised if Hasbro is now "developing" a C7-based "character" to be revealed in the next Transformers movie as BumbleBee's older brother who was captured by the Decepticons.
captainaudio commented:
January 17, 2013, 5:58 pm

Pictures from the Manhattan debut of the C7 Corvette. The white 1953 is the third Corvette ever made and is the car that was show at GM Motorama at the Waldoft Astoria 60 years ago.

'''

''

Elk commented:
January 17, 2013, 6:51 pm

Quote:
As I recall, the median age of a Corvette buyer is 53, just a couple years older than BMW buyers. We are talking, what, 3% more grey hair?

Regardless of the buyer's age, a lot of Corvettes are seriously driven on the track, autoX, twisty country roads. There are sure a lot of them at events for a car of which only about 35,000 are made a year.

Very few live boring, stultifying lives of taking the wife to the mall and the kid to soccer practice.
dtc100 commented:
January 17, 2013, 7:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
Very few live boring, stultifying lives of taking the wife to the mall and the kid to soccer practice.
If they build a vette with decent backseats, you will see many vette drivers with "boring" lives too
captainaudio commented:
January 17, 2013, 7:11 pm

Quote:
As I recall, the median age of a Corvette buyer is 53, just a couple years older than BMW buyers. We are talking, what, 3% more grey hair?

Regardless of the buyer's age, a lot of Corvettes are seriously driven on the track, autoX, twisty country roads. There are sure a lot of them at events for a car of which only about 35,000 are made a year.

The average age of the buyers of most expensive sports cars (Corvette, Ferrari, Porsche 911) tends to range from the late 40s to the late 50s. For most owners this is the second or third car. People that are in a financial position to pay $65,000 or (much) more for a hobby car tend to be older. Additionally Baby Boomers constitute a large portion of the population and are the most affluent group. Cars like Corvettes and Porsche 911s have huge appeal to Baby Boomers. Many of them have wanted one since they were teenagers and are now in a financial position to purchase one.

Quote:
If they build a vette with decent backseats, you will see many vette drivers with "boring" lives too
I doubt they will ever build a Corvette with back seats. Certainly not in the foreseeable future.

CA
January 17, 2013, 7:33 pm

Quote:
If they build a vette with decent backseats it WONT be a vette anymore
408Racer commented:
January 17, 2013, 9:25 pm

Quote:
This...and a 6-pack of Bud will make you very popular with the Gretchen Wilson types at the Walmart:

dtc100 commented:
January 18, 2013, 12:02 am

Quote:
I doubt they will ever build a Corvette with back seats. Certainly not in the foreseeable future.

CA
Of course that was a joke.

It is good to see you actually had the opportunity to sit in that sport seat, how did it feel?

I was watching the Car and Driver Roundtable Recap video, hearing the editors talking about the new Vette as the focal point of the Detroit show, complained about not allowed to sit in the new Vette with the sport seats, only the regular seats. So they could tell those seats looked great, but could not tell us whether they were nice to sit in.
captainaudio commented:
January 18, 2013, 12:06 am

Quote:
Of course that was a joke.

It is good to see you actually had the opportunity to sit in that sport seat, how did it feel?

I was watching the Car and Driver Roundtable Recap video, hearing the editors talking about the new Vette as the focal point of the Detroit show, complained about not allowed to sit in the new Vette with the sport seats, only the regular seats. So they could tell those seats looked great, but could not tell us whether they were nice to sit in.
I found the interior to be a pleasant environment and the seats to be comfortable. Of course it is very different to sit in a stationary car and to drive it but my impression was very favorable. The interior quality was very good (and so was the interior of the 1953 car that was on display). It seemed as the Corvette progressed the interior got cheaper but it appears that they have corrected that,
Since it was a private, invitation only, event the crowd was manageable and everyone got to bet a good look at the cars. They did not allow us to sit in the classics that were on display. My favorites were the 1953, a virtually identical 1954 and a 1965 396 Sting Ray Coupe.

CA
CALWATERBOY commented:
January 18, 2013, 12:17 am

Quote:

Yes. 911 too.
CALWATERBOY commented:
January 18, 2013, 12:20 am

Quote:

To that I say: Panamera
beden1 commented:
January 18, 2013, 12:40 am

I think the first produced Corvette is owned by Kerbeck and is on display at their Chevy dealership in Atlantic City, NJ. If I'm not mistaken. Corvette #2 was owned by Skip Miller of the Carlisle Fairgrounds in Calisle, PA. Skip passed away a few years ago and the family now owns it. I've seen it on display at the Corvettes at Carlisle show.

The rear of the C7 is starting to grow on me. Like someone previously mentioned, the rear of the C6 looked unfinished. I didn't particularly like it either. But, Corvettes have always had round tail lights, and these that look like the Camaro, are drawing much criticism from the long term Corvette community. (just like when GM did away with the hideaway head lights in the C6 for European style fixed head lights.)

The interior layout really looks similar to what was in my ZO6 except for the two toned color scheme and the updated displays. The seats look more bolstered which is a good thing. To drive spririted around corners, I would have to lock the seatbelt to keep from sliding out of my seat because there was very little in the way of seat bolsters. A GM exec told me at a show that I attended a couple of years ago, that GM did not provide more aggressive bolsters because many of their older customers could not fit properly (older broader guys). They also tried to save weight and some money by not offering electric adjustable seat bolsters.

GM also needs to keep their cost down so people can afford to buy Corvettes. There is a monster performance car under the body shell. Most Corvette owners only care about how the car performs, as opposed to all of the creature comforts. The more GM adds to the Corvette, the higher the price tag. The C6 ZO6 was already pushing $100,000.

I read one guys post in the Corvette Forum where he wanted (on top of what the C7 already has) extended leather interior, alcantera and carbon fiber accents, 475 HP, a better GPS system, and better looking wheels - all for under $55,000. Good Luck! Some people have no idea of value.

PS: there are extra storage bins under the rear cargo space carpet. The Corvette coupe has always had a lot of rear storage space. Not so much for the convertible.
beden1 commented:
January 18, 2013, 12:43 am

Quote:
Yes. 911 too.
duplicate.
beden1 commented:
January 18, 2013, 12:43 am

Quote:
Yes. 911 too.
I'm not sure what fits in the back seats of the 911. So far, I did stow my golf bag there.
captainaudio commented:
January 18, 2013, 12:45 am

The 1953 Corvette that was on display last night was owned by Kerbeck,

CA
beden1 commented:
January 18, 2013, 12:56 am

Quote:
The 1953 Corvette that was on display last night was owned by Kerbeck,

CA
Oh, so who owns #1? I always thought it was Kerbeck?

This is what I was thinking regarding Kerbeck's Corvette. I'm not sure which car he had at your event, but he owns the first experimental Corvette that started it's build in 1951, which GM then based the Corvette for sale to the public in 1953.

http://www.kerbeck.com/kerbeck/kerbe...ldest_corvette
3ismagic# commented:
January 18, 2013, 8:33 am

Wasn't the original corvette concept was designed by Pininfarina?
vern commented:
January 18, 2013, 9:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnook View Post

delete
cheers
vern
captainaudio commented:
January 18, 2013, 11:53 am

Quote:
Oh, so who owns #1? I always thought it was Kerbeck?

This is what I was thinking regarding Kerbeck's Corvette. I'm not sure which car he had at your event, but he owns the first experimental Corvette that started it's build in 1951, which GM then based the Corvette for sale to the public in 1953.

http://www.kerbeck.com/kerbeck/kerbe...ldest_corvette
This appears to be the same car. We were told it was the third one built and that it was the one that had been displayed at the Waldorf Astoria. According to the link above it (EX122) is actually the prototype (i.e. the first one built).

shabadoo25 commented:
January 18, 2013, 12:06 pm

Quote:

This interior looks like it was meant to appeal to people who long for having Knight Rider return to network tv.

"Reactor to power, Batman. Turbines to speed!"
The X Men commented:
January 18, 2013, 12:31 pm

Didnt the knight rider TV show use a Firebird and not a Corvette. I think some of the Bat mobiles were Corvettes.
CALWATERBOY commented:
January 18, 2013, 12:40 pm

Quote:
The rear of the C7 is starting to grow on me.

Struck me right away....j'know, compared to Audi, BMW's rear lights look like a Buick.

Not fer nuthin', but the face of Audi's just butt ugly. Tail lamps are their saving grace, I guess. Interesting to see Corvette's hooked in to that - good impressions.

Looking forward, in person.
CALWATERBOY commented:
January 18, 2013, 12:43 pm

Quote:
I'm not sure what fits in the back seats of the 911. So far, I did stow my golf bag there.

Heh heh....test drove one such, one 6'4" kid passenger; other stuffed/folded/ spindled into the rear 'seat.'

Stabbed the brakes from 100 mph - rousing cheers all round!
408Racer commented:
January 18, 2013, 1:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabadoo25 View Post
This interior looks like it was meant to appeal to people who long for having Knight Rider return to network tv.

"Reactor to power, Batman. Turbines to speed!"
Sea Ray Mark commented:
January 18, 2013, 8:30 pm

I wouldn't expect to many Corvette fans on a BMW site but you have to admit they do some things very well. My brand new F30 is out in the driveway and my C5 6 speed convertible is safely tucked in the garage. There's nothing that makes me happier then taking the Vette out on a cool day and power shifting through a few gears, counter steering a little to keep it going straight while I'm destroying the rear tires. The little chain saw engine in my BMW won't do that for me but its much better then the Vette in many different ways and i bought it for a different purpose. Definitely two different animals and I love them both for what they are.
Elk commented:
January 18, 2013, 10:56 pm

There is a number of Corvette owners here, a couple of us with a Z06.

No ZR1 to my knowledge however.
rmjames007 commented:
January 19, 2013, 4:40 pm

I think so. this is more integrated with the front dash than like a separate idrive screen. The Dodge Dart has a really cool looking display as well
getz commented:
January 20, 2013, 9:53 am

I like what I see so far from the corvette. I have never really considered it as an option, but since selling my 911 Turbo I have been hankering for a small fast summer toy. I will certainly give this a test drive.

In regards to jamesbolt's assesment of demographics I happen to be an impressively fit, non tatooed, highly educated and financially secure 36 year old male with a wife and 3 rugrats at home.
boltjaM3s commented:
January 20, 2013, 10:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by getz View Post

In regards to jamesbolt's assesment of demographics I happen to be an impressively fit, non tatooed, highly educated and financially secure 36 year old male with a wife and 3 rugrats at home.
You don't want a Corvette then. You might look at it, but you're not buying it.

Betty White is a witty, sharp gal; you ain't going to start banging her if you've got Scarlett Johanson as an option.

BJ
dtc100 commented:
January 20, 2013, 10:54 am

Sooner or later, BMW will have reconfigurable instrument screen BJ will lust over, but for now it is limited to the Vette, and the Lexus IS F so BJ thinks it is for old people, or for young punks.

I do think BMW should work on it sooner rather than later though, BJ isn't getting any younger.
beden1 commented:
January 20, 2013, 11:16 am

Quote:
Sooner or later, BMW will have reconfigurable instrument screen BJ will lust over, but for now it is limited to the Vette, and the Lexus IS F so BJ thinks it is for old people, or for young punks.

I do think BMW should work on it sooner rather than later though, BJ isn't getting any younger.
GM started offering a head-up display in their Corvette in 1988. BMW started offering one as an option in 2012, or thereabouts. That's 24 years difference. Now, who are the innovators and who are the followers/copiers?
Elk commented:
January 20, 2013, 12:24 pm

Quote:
What silly nonsense. I started buying high end sports cars in my late twenties. Many others do as well. We realize early on we want something more interesting than an appliance to drop the wife at the mall. (Come to think of it, I never dated a woman that cannot drive herself . . .)

For every 70 year old buying a Corvette, there is a 30 year old buyer - just like BMW. The median age demographic is the same.
beden1 commented:
January 20, 2013, 1:16 pm

Quote:
What silly nonsense. I started buying high end sports cars in my late twenties. Many others do as well. We realize early on we want something more interesting than an appliance to drop the wife at the mall. (Come to think of it, I never dated a woman that cannot drive herself . . .)

For every 70 year old buying a Corvette, there is a 30 year old buyer - just like BMW. The median age demographic is the same.
I bought my first BMW, a 320i when I was 26 and my first Corvette when I was 33. I bought the Corvette after I owned a 1983 BMW 533i which was supposedly their hot car at the time. It put me to sleep when driving because it was so boring, even with a stick. I decided I wanted a fun car to remind myself that I was still alive, and the Corvette fit the bill nicely.
mr29 commented:
January 20, 2013, 1:29 pm

don't get me wrong its not an awful car its just for that kinda money a m3 or m5 is more appealing my dream is an odd one the jaguar xj 220

jtuds commented:
January 20, 2013, 1:42 pm

Quote:
Hell yes
Elk commented:
January 20, 2013, 1:45 pm

It also occurs to me to ask, referencing BJ's analogy:

If Corvette, with its 450 HP, sub 4 second 0-60 and world-class handling is Betty White, what car could possibly be Scarlett Johanson?
jtuds commented:
January 20, 2013, 1:49 pm

Quote:

Betty White is a witty, sharp gal; you ain't going to start banging her if you've got Scarlett Johanson as an option.

BJ
Get your head outta your ass
dtc100 commented:
January 20, 2013, 2:15 pm

Quote:

If Corvette, with its 450 HP, sub 4 second 0-60 and world-class handling is Betty White, what car could possibly be Scarlett Johanson?
You want an answer from the 98% or from the 2%?
boltjaM3s commented:
January 20, 2013, 2:21 pm

Quote:

The horsepower of a Corvette doesn't matter at all to the people who own them.

It's a boy racer midlife crisis car, nothing more.

BJ
boltjaM3s commented:
January 20, 2013, 2:22 pm

Quote:

You have to feel bad for the 30-year-olds; their midlife crisis has hit them rather early.

BJ
dtc100 commented:
January 20, 2013, 3:39 pm

I don't know if there is such thing called 30-year-old midlife crisis. Maybe they have it early in life so they will have a different kind of midlife crisis than what BJ will have.
getz commented:
January 20, 2013, 4:09 pm

I had my midlife crisis at 17 after plunking down 3 years worth of saved wages earned cleaning a bar in the mornings before school to buy an IROC Z Camaro. It's been all down hill since then.
beden1 commented:
January 20, 2013, 4:09 pm

The poster who keeps putting down Corvette owners has only leased entry level Japanese and German family sedans. No experience = No Clue!

I almost forgot, he also leases a Honda Minivan.
boltjaM3s commented:
January 20, 2013, 4:37 pm

Quote:
I had my midlife crisis at 17 after plunking down 3 years worth of saved wages earned cleaning a bar in the mornings before school to buy an IROC Z Camaro. It's been all down hill since then.
Then learn your lesson. Only old people buy new Corvettes. It's a bucket list car. No one respects them; it's a car you laugh at.

If you must dip into some American muscle, get a '67 Stingray, that's a cool midlife crisis car.

BJ
captainaudio commented:
January 20, 2013, 4:43 pm

I took these pictures at a friends home last fall.

This is his mid-life crisis Corvette

This is his mid life crisis Viper

This is the car that he bought with money ($2,400) that he borrowed from nis mother when he was 14.
Elk commented:
January 20, 2013, 4:49 pm

Quote:
The horsepower of a Corvette doesn't matter at all to the people who own them.

Where does he get this nonsense?

I still want to know what car is Scarlett Johanson to the Corvette's Betty White.

Seriously, BJ, you need to get out more. Stand up and back away from your laptop, put on a pair of trousers to cover up your tighty-whities and go see what the world has to offer.
Elk commented:
January 20, 2013, 4:52 pm

Quote:
This is the car that he bought with money ($2,400) that he borrowed from nis mother when he was 14.
Excellent. He was smart enough to keep it. I wish I had been this far sighted.
dtc100 commented:
January 20, 2013, 4:58 pm

Quote:

I still want to know what car is Scarlett Johanson to the Corvette's Betty White.
I don't know what car BJ compares to SJ, but I suspect when sitting in his L328 looking at his mistress next to him, BJ is mindful of SJ
boltjaM3s commented:
January 20, 2013, 4:59 pm

Quote:

Where does he get this nonsense?

Seriously, BJ, you need to get out more. Stand up and back away from your laptop, put on a pair of trousers to cover up your tighty-whities and go see what the world has to offer.
Look, I don't live in the heartland of America. I've never seen a wheat field or a rice farm, I don't know where they raise cows or harvest grain. So if in Iowa or Montana the Corvette is considered a delicacy that would be beyond my frame of reference.

What I can tell you living here in New York City is that I would be lucky to see one Corvette a month, and when I do its driven by someone who looks like my grandfather. May he rest in peace. It's a car we make fun of here in the big city; apologies to the citizens of Kansas if there it is otherwise.

BJ
getz commented:
January 20, 2013, 5:01 pm

Quote:
I took these pictures at a friends home last fall.

$2400 in 1955 is equivalent post inflation to approximately 20 grand today. Mom really trusted her 14 year old. That being said, what a great story about getting one of the all time greats in your garage.
captainaudio commented:
January 20, 2013, 5:06 pm

Quote:
Look, I don't live in the heartland of America. I've never seen a wheat field or a rice farm, I don't know where they raise cows or harvest grain. So if in Iowa or Montana the Corvette is considered a delicacy that would be beyond my frame of reference.

What I can tell you living here in New York City is that I would be lucky to see one Corvette a month, and when I do its driven by someone who looks like my grandfather. May he rest in peace. It's a car we make fun of here in the big city; apologies to the citizens of Kansas if there it is otherwise.

BJ
As someone who actually live IN New York City, and who is a member of several car enthusiast organizations I will have to disagree with that statement.

CA
beden1 commented:
January 20, 2013, 5:18 pm

Quote:
As someone who actually live IN New York City, and who is a member of several car enthusiast organizations I will have to disagree with that statement.

CA
I was hanging drapes in my daughter's new apartment in Philly before the car show on Saturday. I'm happy that she lives in a nice location that also has a very good parking lot across the street for monthly rentals. I saw four Corvettes in the lot with car covers and one parked near them without a cover. They must have some long term parking agreement with the lot.

It's not NYC, but Philly is a major northeastern city, and Corvettes seem to be popular there.

Some people should get tired of being so clueless!
January 20, 2013, 5:26 pm

Quote:
$2400 in 1955 is equivalent post inflation to approximately 20 grand today. Mom really trusted her 14 year old. That being said, what a great story about getting one of the all time greats in your garage.
The 300 was not $2400 new. This kid likely bought it as a used car a decade or two later when it was just a used car. Smart kid.
getz commented:
January 20, 2013, 5:26 pm

One of my buddies (a 38 year old Asian pediatrician and BMW CCA instructor) just bought a slightly used Z06 with a hot cam. Definitely not your average corvette owner.
January 20, 2013, 5:36 pm

When factoring replacements for the Roadster when determining agreed value insurance, the C6 ZO6 was one of the benchmarks for used cars under $45k I could see myself owning. I am 32 and have a full head of hair. I just wish they were a bit more rare, unlike BJ I see C6's every day, often a ZO6 daily.
captainaudio commented:
January 20, 2013, 5:52 pm

Quote:
I was hanging drapes in my daughter's new apartment in Philly before the car show on Saturday. I'm happy that she lives in a nice location that also has a very good parking lot across the street for monthly rentals. I saw four Corvettes in the lot with car covers and one parked near them without a cover. They must have some long term parking agreement with the lot.

It's not NYC, but Philly is a major northeastern city, and Corvettes seem to be popular there.

Some people should get tired of being so clueless!
Manhattan dwellers that have cars like Corvettes, Porsches, Ferraris, etc. generally keep them at their country residences. The friend whose cars I showed a few posts back a had a Manhattan apartment down the street from me but garages the cars in the pictures at his home in Connecticut.

CA
captainaudio commented:
January 20, 2013, 5:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
The 300 was not $2400 new. This kid likely bought it as a used car a decade or two later when it was just a used car. Smart kid.
The car was four years old when he purchased it in 1958. He bought it because he wanted to become a race car driver,

He did.

CA
January 20, 2013, 5:56 pm

Quote:
The car was four years old when he purchased it in 1958.

CA
Great story!
beden1 commented:
January 20, 2013, 6:10 pm

Quote:
Manhattan dwellers that have cars like Corvettes, Porsches, Ferraris, etc. generally keep them at their country residences. The friend whose cars I showed a few posts back a Manhattan apartment down the street from me but garages the cars in the pictures at his home in Connecticut.

CA
The Corvettes that I saw in the lot are probably owned by those who live and work in the city, and have these cars to use for fun when they want to take a trip away from the city limits.
dtc100 commented:
January 20, 2013, 6:46 pm

I thought BJ lived in the country, why is he talking the big city?
captainaudio commented:
January 20, 2013, 6:50 pm

Quote:
I thought BJ lived in the country, why is he talking big city?
BJ Lives in Bergen County New Jersey, which is near New York City as is home to one of the largest Corvette dealers in the country.

http://www.paramuschevrolet.com/Corvette-Salon

Welcome to Paramus Chevrolet's Corvette Salon, a unique Corvette experience showcasing and paying tribute to the American Classic. We have dedicated our entire 15-Car Second Floor Showroom to New, GM-Certified, and Pre-Owned Corvettes.
Feel free to browse our current NEW or PRE-OWNED Corvette inventory by clicking on the quick links!
Our Corvette Showroom
Our friendly, Corvette specialized and certified sales consultants can help you find the exact 'Vette you've been dreaming of. It's everyone's dream to own a Corvette, and we can make it happen here, TODAY, with one of the largest available inventories of Corvettes in the Northeast.
Browse our current NEW or PRE-OWNED Corvette inventory today! Thanks for checking us out!

CA

January 20, 2013, 6:53 pm

Quote:
I thought BJ lived in the country, why is he talking the big city?
One of the factors that makes Bergen so pricey is the close proximity to NYC.

I am 35 minutes away and it's still a reason why my taxes are so high
captainaudio commented:
January 20, 2013, 7:01 pm

Quote:
Great story!
captainaudio commented:
January 20, 2013, 7:02 pm

Quote:
Great story!
Barrett-Jackson Lot: 5000 - 1954 MERCEDES-BENZ 300SL GULLWING

Detailed Information

Lot Number: 5000
Auction: SCOTTSDALE 2012
RESERVE Price: *$2,200,000.00
Year: 1954 Make: MERCEDES-BENZ
Model: 300SL Style: GULLWING
VIN: 4500129 Exterior
Color: SILVER Interior Color: RED
Cylinders: 6 Engine Size: Transmission: 4-SPEED MANUAL

Description

4,149 Original Miles. This exceptional example is one of only 146 that were built in 1954. This car was originally purchased by the late Willet H. Brown/Hillcrest Motors Collection, at Hollywood Mercedes. With only 4,149 original miles this Gullwing is one of the lowest mileage Gullwing's in existence. It comes with original tools, manual, service book and registration card from 1962-1965. Having been repainted once, in its original color, everything else on the car is all original. Also included in the sale are the original wheels, tires and hubcaps. **WILL BE SOLD AT APPROXIMATELY 5PM SATURDAY JANUARY 21, 2012**
rbe commented:
January 20, 2013, 7:35 pm

I'm 70 and have driven Corvettes and BMWs for years.
Guess us old guys go for Mineral Gray Luxury Liners.
boltjaM3s commented:
January 20, 2013, 8:27 pm

Quote:

CA
You're the anomaly.

BJ
boltjaM3s commented:
January 20, 2013, 8:29 pm

Quote:
BJ Lives in Bergen County New Jersey, which is near New York City as is home to one of the largest Corvette dealers in the country.

CA
Ugh. I'll never drive past that building the same way again.

BJ
boltjaM3s commented:
January 20, 2013, 8:31 pm

Quote:
One of the factors that makes Bergen so pricey is the close proximity to NYC.

I am 35 minutes away and it's still a reason why my taxes are so high
Yeah, its crazy to live here. Most "New Yorkers" don't live in the city, especially those with families. I'm 20 minutes away, I see tons of luxury and sports cars up near me, but it's very rare to see a new Corvette. It says the wrong thing about its owner.

BJ
boltjaM3s commented:
January 20, 2013, 8:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbe View Post
I'm 70 and have driven Corvettes and BMWs for years.
Guess us old guys go for Mineral Gray Luxury Liners.

That's a very appropriate ride, congrats.

As for the other thing, looks like you take it to the track so you're excused.

BJ
ProRail commented:
January 20, 2013, 9:00 pm

The new Corvette's what?
ProRail commented:
January 20, 2013, 9:08 pm

I thought this was about the dash display, but I guess not. Okay; always a good thread when BJ's on. BTW, I alwayys thought he was in VT. Need to recalculate.
ProRail commented:
January 20, 2013, 9:13 pm

You would think that when Bimmerfest puts posts on the headline sections they would do some basic editing. Apparently not.
boltjaM3s commented:
January 20, 2013, 10:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProRail View Post
I thought this was about the dash display, but I guess not. Okay; always a good thread when BJ's on. BTW, I alwayys thought he was in VT. Need to recalculate.
Corvette has a good dash display. It lights up. It has numbers. Hope all is well. When are you getting an F30?

BJ
dtc100 commented:
January 20, 2013, 11:00 pm

Quote:
Corvette has a good dash display. It lights up. It has numbers. Hope all is well. When are you getting an F30?

BJ
When is a reconfigurable instrument display good for you? Oh I know, as soon as BMW decides to put it in the car you happen to lease. Otherwise it is just for old people, or for poor college kids, and no one should be talking about it in your forum.
boltjaM3s commented:
January 21, 2013, 12:21 am

Quote:
When is a reconfigurable instrument display good for you? Oh I know, as soon as BMW decides to put it in the car you happen to lease. Otherwise it is just for old people, or for poor college kids, and no one should be talking about it in your forum.
Reconfigurable? Who needs it.

BMW has it right in the HUD. Speed, nav, audio, done. I don't need to check oil pressure, fuel level, RPM's. The car does all that for me.

BJ
dtc100 commented:
January 21, 2013, 12:39 am

Quote:
Reconfigurable? Who needs it.

BJ
When BMW says you need it.
jusmills commented:
January 21, 2013, 9:58 am

While corvettes aren't normally my thing, I do have to admit that they offer the best performance value of all cars that I know of. Now that GM has finally updated the look (although I'm not completely sold on the rear) and more importantly the interior, I'd say that this car is definitely ready for the prime-time. I'd be interested in one, the ATS as well. I love my BMW, however I can definitely see the effort and value the GM has put into some of their recent vehicles. For me, its not about blindly following a badge, but what works for my current situation and what feels right to drive. I'm sure a lot of you guys here, on this website, feel the same way. Besides that, I think the fact that there is quite a bit of good competition out there, ensures that BMW doesn't rest on their laurels and continues to put out innovative dynamic vehicles. That makes it a good time to be a buyer.
captainaudio commented:
January 21, 2013, 9:29 pm

Nascar team owner and Corvette collector purchased the first Corvette C7 off the assembly line for $1.05 million dollars. All of the proceeds from the first C7 sale will go to the College for Creative Studies.

CA
boltjaM3s commented:
January 21, 2013, 10:47 pm

Quote:
Nascar team owner and Corvette collector purchased the first Corvette C7 off the assembly line for $1.05 million dollars. All of the proceeds from the first C7 sale will go to the College for Creative Studies.

CA
Wait a minute. That's the new Corvette? That thing that up there that looks like the old Corvette?

Tell me this is a joke.

BJ
captainaudio commented:
January 21, 2013, 10:52 pm

Quote:
Wait a minute. That's the new Corvette? That thing that up there that looks like the old Corvette?

Tell me this is a joke.

BJ

This is car is like the C7 Hendrick purchased.

This is a C6 (the outgoing model)

The "first one off the line" sales are fairly common at Barrett Jackson and in the past various Shelbys have gone for huge bucks.
It is more a vehicle for raising money for a charity than an accurate reflection of the actual value of the car.
Hendrick, who is the largest Chevy dealer in the country, also purchased 10 percent buyer's premium as well as a 1969 L-88 Corvette for another $1 million during the 42nd annual Barrett-Jackson Collector Car Event in Arizona.
Speedtv.com noted that Hendrick has purchased many other brand-new cars at Barrett-Jackson auctions, including the first production 2010 Camaro SS for $350,000; the first 2011 Corvette Z06 Carbon Edition for $270,000; the first 2011 Camaro SS convertible for $205,000; and the first 2012 ZL1 Camaro for $250,000.

Rick Hendrick has the largest Corvette collection in the world

CA
boltjaM3s commented:
January 21, 2013, 11:20 pm

Quote:
This is the C7 Hendrick purchased.

This is a C6 (the outgoing model)

CA
Wow. Seeing the photos side-by-side I can tell the difference but one without the other I'd be hard pressed to know.

BJ
captainaudio commented:
January 21, 2013, 11:34 pm

Quote:
Wow. Seeing the photos side-by-side I can tell the difference but one without the other I'd be hard pressed to know.

BJ
To be honest I had to go back and check myself. I saw the two cars (c6, c7) parked next to each other at the Manhattan C7 debut cocktail party last week and they are actually quite different looking although there is certainly a family resemblance. They had several classic Corvettes on display, including a 64 Sting Ray Coupe and you could see how there were certain design cues that were there throughout the years.

CA
CALWATERBOY commented:
January 22, 2013, 7:14 am

Quote:
GM started offering a head-up display in their Corvette in 1988. BMW started offering one as an option in 2012, or thereabouts. That's 24 years difference. Now, who are the innovators and who are the followers/copiers?

Ah-yessssssssss.....

GM offered what they now call 'displacement on demand' 'way back when, an innovation. Many former Cadillac pilots bemoan that miserable experience.

A bitter fail for GM owners, Honda's version was a success in the Odyssey. Others followed, including GM who revisited the idea.

IMHO GM's done as many bad things as good.
CALWATERBOY commented:
January 22, 2013, 7:18 am

Quote:

I saw this car years back in an animated movie. Cars. Am I nuts?
The X Men commented:
January 22, 2013, 8:43 am

The new Vette look much better in dark colors, maybe its because all the vents blends in.
boltjaM3s commented:
January 22, 2013, 8:48 am

Quote:

I saw this car years back in an animated movie. Cars. Am I nuts?

Good catch. And his designers made sure Lightning McQueen didn't have ugly black wheels.

BJ
January 22, 2013, 9:16 am

Quote:

CA
Great publicity and big bucks for my Alma matter!
beden1 commented:
January 22, 2013, 9:35 am

Quote:
Good catch. And his designers made sure Lightning McQueen didn't have ugly black wheels.

BJ
Entry level cars and lower end marks don't offer black wheels. You need to move up the food chain and out of the guppy pool.

black with silver rim center locking 19" wheels on 2012 Porsche Carrera GTS Cabriolet

dtc100 commented:
January 22, 2013, 11:38 am

Many supercars have black vents and wheels, I think some of the complaints are unfair. Vette is for a niche market, like all cars sold for niche market, they look different.

Of course some people just like to make fun of others probably to hide the fact their lives are not as interesting. There is nothing interesting about being one of the 98%.
January 22, 2013, 12:14 pm

Quote:
Entry level cars and lower end marks don't offer black wheels. You need to move up the food chain and out of the guppy pool.

black with silver rim center locking 19" wheels on 2012 Porsche Carrera GTS Cabriolet

Here you forgot one

rmjames007 commented:
January 22, 2013, 12:38 pm

Where is the discussion about the display?
dtc100 commented:
January 22, 2013, 12:59 pm

Quote:
Here you forgot one

Not an untrue statement, you need to move up the food chain of the standard F30 to have this.
dtc100 commented:
January 22, 2013, 1:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmjames007 View Post
Where is the discussion about the display?
As far as reconfigurable instrument display, I learned it first in the Lexus LFA supercar, the Caddy XTS got it last year, now the new Vette, Lexus IS F, even the new Dodge Dart. Audi is working on it, or maybe already has one?
boltjaM3s commented:
January 22, 2013, 2:11 pm

Quote:
Here you forgot one
Your car is the rare exception to the "black wheels are ugly" viewpoint because of the white paint and black stripes. Your car is very two-tone, very black/white, so the wheels are in keeping with that and the red brakes break up the monotony.

But dark cars with black wheels are bad. And red cars with black wheels are the absolute worst, just scream "old man in crisis" which is why Corvette has that combo on its promotional car.

BJ
Spagolli94 commented:
January 22, 2013, 2:17 pm

Quote:

BJ
I'd say they are about the same level of difference as an E90 to F30, which is to say an evolutionary change. That seems to be the way things are done these days. Look at the new Accord. Have you seen the new MDX? They only make drastic changes when a model isn't selling, like the RDX. In some cases, they make a drastic change and screw up a model that had been a previous hit, like the TL. Sorry for the Acura theme, but that's just the examples that came to mind.
boltjaM3s commented:
January 22, 2013, 2:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spagolli94 View Post
I'd say they are about the same level of difference as an E90 to F30, which is to say an evolutionary change. That seems to be the way things are done these days. Look at the new Accord. Have you seen the new MDX? They only make drastic changes when a model isn't selling, like the RDX. In some cases, they make a drastic change and screw up a model that had been a previous hit, like the TL. Sorry for the Acura theme, but that's just the examples that came to mind.
I agree, no argument there.

But the Corvette hasn't been touched since the whole "retro" styling thing happened like with the Mustang, Charger, and Camaro. I thought for sure the Corvette would pick up some significant retro elements since it's pretty much the ultimate retro-capable car, so instead of something revolutionary it's too evolutionary and it missed its opportunity to capitalize on some of that old 60's DNA. If it were me, I'd have started with a '67 Stingray on the whiteboard and built it up off of that; instead they took a '90 and built off of it. Yuck.

Thus the reason why this car disappoints (and bores) me.

BJ
January 22, 2013, 2:50 pm

Quote:
I agree, no argument there.

But the Corvette hasn't been touched since the whole "retro" styling thing happened like with the Mustang, Charger, and Camaro. I thought for sure the Corvette would pick up some significant retro elements since it's pretty much the ultimate retro-capable car, so instead of something revolutionary it's too evolutionary and it missed its opportunity to capitalize on some of that old 60's DNA. If it were me, I'd have started with a '67 Stingray on the whiteboard and built it up off of that; instead they took a '90 and built off of it. Yuck.

Thus the reason why this car disappoints (and bores) me.

BJ
Retro is a scary double edged sword.

Countless examples of it dying quickly like the Thunderbird. But best case scenario it works like the New Beetle and Mustang. But it is automatically a bit self dating and you are left with a now what situation after only a few years. The Mustang had a major refresh of it's retro and so did the Beetle. But that's all you get, a refresh of the retro. So the '15 Mustang will likely be quite different.

There are cars that they just won't meddle with too much. The 911 and Vette arevperfect examples. They wind up keeping their faithful buying and manage to pull in just a bit more in sales each time. There will not be a radical 911 or Vette anytime soon. Dating back decades you had mid engine futuristic Vette concept cars. There is a reason why they stayed concepts.
boltjaM3s commented:
January 22, 2013, 3:00 pm

Quote:
Retro is a scary double edged sword.

Countless examples of it dying quickly like the Thunderbird. But best case scenario it works like the New Beetle and Mustang. But it is automatically a bit self dating and you are left with a now what situation after only a few years. The Mustang had a major refresh of it's retro and so did the Beetle. But that's all you get, a refresh of the retro. So the '15 Mustang will likely be quite different.

There are cars that they just won't meddle with too much. The 911 and Vette arevperfect examples. They wind up keeping their faithful buying and manage to pull in just a bit more in sales each time. There will not be a radical 911 or Vette anytime soon. Dating back decades you had mid engine futuristic Vette concept cars. There is a reason why they stayed concepts.
Definitely, but imagine if the best designers America had to offer breathed new life into the Corvette after all these years? All those baby-boomers who lusted after a '67 Stingray being offered a gorgeous yet modern throwback to their youth?

Chevy did a good job on the Camaro, would have been interesting to see them let it loose on the Corvette. I'm a bit biased as the '67 is one of my favorite cars ever and the 1980's and 1990's Vette design that still carries forward to this day still looks like a beefed-up 1982 Pontiac Firebird to me.

BJ
beden1 commented:
January 22, 2013, 3:46 pm

Quote:
Here you forgot one

Your car looks real good. You've customized it nicely. What I was referring to is that my car is an actual model that is offered by Porsche. Many high end performance cars come with black wheels.
January 22, 2013, 4:01 pm

Quote:
Your car is the rare exception to the "black wheels are ugly" viewpoint because of the white paint and black stripes. Your car is very two-tone, very black/white, so the wheels are in keeping with that and the red brakes break up the monotony.

But dark cars with black wheels are bad. And red cars with black wheels are the absolute worst, just scream "old man in crisis" which is why Corvette has that combo on its promotional car.

BJ
I love it when you talk dirty to me

Other than the back window visibility the Camaro is an absolute winner. The Corvette finally has a designed back end and seeing those grey versions makes me really like it.

I cant wait for the dashes to go all digital, but I want them to be basically OLED over old school analog versions. So if you loose that fuse, you can still see the data, but it almost like one of those two way mirrors. When digital powers up it hides the analog, or maybe just accents it. That would be gorgeous and a great pairing of classic with the future.
captainaudio commented:
January 22, 2013, 4:20 pm

Chevy has definitely carried over styling cues from the original Sting Ray that make the car instantly recognizable as a Corvette.

Automobile aerodynamics have come a long way in the last 40 years.
One of the issues with the original design is that at high speeds there was a lot of lift at the front end which made them very unstable.
The Grand Sport racing only models were notorious for this.

boltjaM3s commented:
January 22, 2013, 4:34 pm

Quote:
Chevy has definitely carried over styling cues from the original Sting Ray that make the car instantly recognizable as a Corvette.

I'm trying really hard to see the commonalities, even squinting and tilting my head at a 45 degree angle, still don't get it.

BJ
captainaudio commented:
January 22, 2013, 7:55 pm

Quote:
Here you forgot two

beden1 commented:
January 22, 2013, 8:17 pm

Quote:
There are always going to be exceptions, including the pictures posted showing the new entry level Mercedes with black wheels and silver rims, and similar to what's on my GTS. Copying is a form of flattery. Porsche has been doing black wheels with silver rims for decades.

The Lime Rock Edition of the M3 is at the top of the 3 Series food chain. The poster who does not like Corvettes and the black wheels is at the bottom with an entry level 3 Series.
dtc100 commented:
January 22, 2013, 8:57 pm

Quote:
I'm trying really hard to see the commonalities, even squinting and tilting my head at a 45 degree angle, still don't get it.

BJ
Don't try so hard. Think about your 328i, it has all the commonalities as the other 328s, despite the unique L328i label.
captainaudio commented:
January 22, 2013, 9:13 pm

Quote:
There are always going to be exceptions, including the pictures posted showing the new entry level Mercedes with black wheels and silver rims, and similar to what's on my GTS. Copying is a form of flattery. Porsche has been doing black wheels with silver rims for decades.

The Lime Rock Edition of the M3 is at the top of the 3 Series food chain. The poster who does not like Corvettes and the black wheels is at the bottom with an entry level 3 Series.
I took that picture of the Lime Rock Edition M3 (it belongs to a Club member) at Lime Rock last October during the Northeast Fall Foliage Run.

This picture of another member's car (with black rims) was taken at the Lime Rock Club Winter Autocross that was held last Saturday,

January 22, 2013, 10:40 pm

Quote:
I took that picture of the Lime Rock Edition M3 (it belongs to a Club member) at Lime Rock last October during the Northeast Fall Foliage Run.

This picture of another member's car (with black rims) was taken at the Lime Rock Club Winter Autocross that was held last Saturday,

Oh my. We might need to start a black wheel thread!
boltjaM3s commented:
January 22, 2013, 11:01 pm

Quote:
Don't push it. The backlash will be incredible. You're exonerated for the reasons already stated, but there are some Mineral Grey people with black wheels that won't like what they read.

BJ
dtc100 commented:
January 22, 2013, 11:39 pm

Quote:
Go ahead bro, finally a thread in which I can be exsonerated by BJ also. Could be once in a life time thing.
captainaudio commented:
January 22, 2013, 11:48 pm

beden1 commented:
January 22, 2013, 11:59 pm

Quote:

That car is sweet. I also see what looks to be a Prosche 4S cab on the track in the background. I would love to drive a car on open snow packed covered ground sometime.
dtc100 commented:
January 22, 2013, 11:59 pm

Close enough?

beden1 commented:
January 23, 2013, 12:01 am

Quote:
That car looks good actually.

I do prefer having the silver rim on the black wheels. It helps with the transition by adding some contrast and makes them pop more, IMO.

captainaudio commented:
January 23, 2013, 12:10 am

Quote:
That car is sweet. I also see what looks to be a Prosche 4S cab on the track in the background. I would love to drive a car on open snow packed covered ground sometime.
Here is a video of the 2011 event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCXC-o1HwZI

CA
dtc100 commented:
January 23, 2013, 12:13 am

In case people complain, some on topic pix:

dtc100 commented:
January 23, 2013, 12:14 am

And to keep BJ happy too:

beden1 commented:
January 23, 2013, 12:21 am

Quote:
Here is a video of the 2011 event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCXC-o1HwZI

CA
That looks like a ton of fun. I wish I would have kept our Subaru WRX. It would have been perfect for that run.
captainaudio commented:
January 23, 2013, 12:23 am

Quote:
That looks like a ton of fun. I wish I would have kept our Subaru WRX. It would have been perfect for that run.
I'll let you know when the next one is scheduled.

CA
boltjaM3s commented:
January 23, 2013, 12:27 am

Quote:
That's worse than....

....than....

Kryptonite.....to......

......me......

.......please, you must.......

..........sto..p

BJ
captainaudio commented:
January 23, 2013, 12:31 am

Quote:
That's worse than....

....than....

Kryptonite.....to......

......me......

.......please, you must.......

..........sto..p

BJ

beden1 commented:
January 23, 2013, 12:31 am

Quote:
I'll let you know when the next one is scheduled.

CA
The Bentley was too heavy, but you have to love the guy for trying.

I use to live in the Syracuse, NY area where we would average over 180" of snow annually. I drove a 1975 MGB as my primary car. It was a blast to drive the snow covered roads and it actually handled the snow really well because it was so light. I would take it out around Lake Skaneateles where my parents lived, and where there were many back country roads to have some sliding fun. Great memories.

A close resemblance to my car, except I had a wood and brushed stainless steel steering wheel.

captainaudio commented:
January 23, 2013, 12:39 am

Quote:
The Bentley was too heavy, but you have to love the guy for trying.

I use to live in the Syracuse, NY area where we would average over 180" of snow annually. I drove a 1975 MGB as my primary car. It was a blast to drive the snow covered roads and it actually handled the snow really well because it was so light. I would take it out around Lake Skaneateles where my parents lived, and where there were many back country roads to have some sliding fun. Great memories.
I grew up in Rochester. Upstate NY Lake Effect storms have to be experienced to be believed.

CA
beden1 commented:
January 23, 2013, 12:43 am

Quote:
I grew up in Rochester. Upstate NY Lake Effect storms have to be seen to be believed.

CA
That looks like it did in 1977 when my new wife and I moved to Philadelphia. The snow that was plowed to the side of the streets was piled up to the tops of the telephine poles. I got out while the getting was good.
beden1 commented:
January 23, 2013, 12:44 am

Quote:
I grew up in Rochester. Upstate NY Lake Effect storms have to be seen to be believed.

CA
That looks like Syracuse in 1977 when my new wife and I moved to Philadelphia. The snow that was plowed to the side of the streets was piled up to the tops of the telephone poles. I got out while the getting was good.
captainaudio commented:
January 23, 2013, 12:49 am

Quote:
That looks like Syracuse in 1977 when my new wife and I moved to Philadelphia. The snow that was plowed to the side of the streets was piled up to the tops of the telephone poles. I got out while the getting was good.

I haven't been back to Rochester in years. The closest I have gotten is Watkins Glen and never in the Winter,

CA
beden1 commented:
January 23, 2013, 12:57 am

Quote:
I haven't been back to Rochester in years. The closest I have gotten is Watkins Glen and never in the Winter,

CA
My In-laws still live in Syracuse. We used to have to go there regularly when the kids were young. Driving up for Christmas was a bitch during snow storms, particularly on 81N past Binghamton. We only go there now when the weather is decent, unless we have to take care of something that comes up.
January 23, 2013, 2:54 am

CA-

Blizzard of 96 is why I left NYC. There were snow banks 6-7 feet tall. They had to carve single person pathways at intersections for pedestrians. And being the city the snow was all brown and disgusting. I am sure you remember. Scared me off for good. I will eventually get a place there, but only for short visits lol.
pkim1079 commented:
January 25, 2013, 2:36 am

Quote:
I like what I see so far from the corvette. I have never really considered it as an option, but since selling my 911 Turbo I have been hankering for a small fast summer toy. I will certainly give this a test drive.

I love your assessment of yourself lol.

I am a tatted up reformed multiple felon who is rather intelligent and edumacated - graduated top 3% of my class and looking to make more bread. The fitness thing i must get back into but i can drink with the best of them lol.
Anyways, the corvette is an awesome machine. Bj just doesnt appreciate cars. Hes also the guy who is probably driving piss slow causing traffic. I see corvette drivers on the track from that young asian dude wanting american muscle and that old dude whos always wanted a corvette. At least they are trying and having fun. Thats all that counts.
ProRail commented:
January 27, 2013, 11:19 pm

Quote:

BJ
When my 1999 528 dies. Not a minute before.
beden1 commented:
January 27, 2013, 11:52 pm

Quote:
You obviously have a great relationship with your car by wanting to keep it as long as you can. People who lease cars never get the opportunity to really appreciate the cars they drive because they are in and out of them so often.
boltjaM3s commented:
January 28, 2013, 12:00 am

Quote:

It's dead, bro. It's dead.

BJ