BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Does Corvette's dash display better than BMW's?

51K views 180 replies 34 participants last post by  boltjaM3s 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

DO YA THINK?

Does it ride comfortably yet handle? Remains to be seen. Ditto BMW's survivability.....egad!

#4 · (Edited)
DO YA THINK?

Does it ride comfortably yet handle? Remains to be seen. Ditto BMW's survivability.....egad!
Magnetic suspension can be adjusted to be comfy if you wish. The tires on the C7 will be narrower than the C6 which should also help soften the ride.

That dash is super. The cars are so fast when you get on them, you don't want to be having to search for the tack and speed. Now it's right in your face. Plus, the Vette has had the heads up display since the 1980's.

The Vette is not for someone who runs errands to the supermarket and spends the rest of their time taking kids to school and to sports team practices in their 4 banger. It's for those who enjoy the freedom of the open road.

I think this Vette will be a winner and may just attract a new generation of buyers. I am very happy to now be a Porsche owner, but if not, I would be all over this car.

#5 ·
The Manhattan debut of the C7 Corvette is tomorrow at 6:30. Ms. Audio and I have invitations, we intend to be there and I will post pictures. This is almost 60 years to the day from the debut of the original Corvette at GM Motorama at the Waldorf Astoria. I was told they will have the original Corvette from that show and at least one of each other series on display.

CA

#8 ·
GM, dominantly through the corvette outlet, has my enormous respect for continuing the development of their LS/LT pushrod v8. Today it's simpler, more reliable, and more economical (both to own and fuel wise) than almost all similar production engines. It's gotten lighter and more compact along the way too, and it's well known to be able to push huge power levels (N/A or FI) easily and reliably.

I found the last generation to finally have a body style I could admire. The interior wasn't there for me.

Now this new one....well, we'll see what happens with the rear end of it.

#13 ·
+1 Good luck:thumbup:
cheers
vern

#14 ·
Interesting. Better then BMW, no, but that's just personal preference. I loved Vette's as a kid, I'm sort of indifferent to them now. Don't get me wrong, I would take one in a heartbeat if it were given, but if had 100k to blow, a vette wouldn't be in the top 5 of choices.

#17 ·
I find it odd that everyone freaked out about the little side vent on the 4 series coupe but nobody has said anything about the million black plastic vents and covers all over this car. The hood, the fender, the top of the back fenders. It is everywhere. I would have to get a black one to hide them. I understand function, but they look like PepBoys glued on "style" accessories.

I do love the direction car makers are going with the fully digital configurable dash displays. Ford Escape has a pretty cool one as well.

This is the first Corvette since the 70s that has a back end that actually looks designed. I used to always joke that the corvette had a great design until you looked at it from behind. It always looked like the block of clay they started with. As though they got tired of carving by the time they got there and just stuck on a couple tail lights and called it a day. ;)

#23 · (Edited)
This is the first Corvette since the 70s that has a back end that actually looks designed. I used to always joke that the corvette had a great design until you looked at it from behind. It always looked like the block of clay they started with. As though they got tired of carving by the time they got there and just stuck on a couple tail lights and called it a day. ;)
The back end reminded me of the new Porsche. It is definitely more upscale look inside and out. But one thing I learned, seeing the photos is very different than seeing in person.

I do like the BMW performance steering wheel a lot, but the sport seats can be more aggressive like the above in a real sports car. Unfortunately all the sport interior upgrades in the F30 cannot hide the impression the exterior looks more and more "executive" than sport.

#32 · (Edited)
I had an '09 ZO6, my third Corvette. Have you ever driven one? 98% of the time, I never look at the tach because I can hear/feel when to shift. It's the 2% of the time when pushing it to the limits and the RPMs shoot to redline very quickly, when one needs to know where the needle is before the limiter kicks in. Someone who has never driven a very fast car would not understand.

#26 ·
#27 ·
BMW does not have the best dash display. Saab gets that distinction.

The speedometer should be in the center, like Saab and Mercedes.

Illumination is disputable. BMW reddish/orange light is used because the eye is red weak so it disrupts night vision less. However, there is brake light confusion and slower reaction time when others' brake lights blend in with your BMW dash lights. Furthermore, since the eye is red weak, the intensity of light has to be higher than green, which requires less intensity to notice the dash. Overall, I think a dim green is better than red/orange. Saabs have dim green.

#36 ·
Just left the event. Took lots of pics.
Pics and details to follow shortly ,

CA

#38 ·
There were a number of classic Corvettes on display including a 1953 that was reportedly the third Corvette ever built. There was a 1967 396 coupe, several 1970's Mako Sharks and a few C6s. They were showing films of Corvette racing history including a few shots of John Fitch at LeMans.

The new car was a big hit. I got sat in it and the seats and interior are a bit step up from the previous model. there is a reasonable size trunk that could easily hold enough luggage for a weekend trip by two people.

Overall I would say it was very well received. I'll download and edit the pictures I took tomorrow morning.

CA

#43 · (Edited)
Old Man in a Corvette

I have several 4x6 B&W copies of this photo of John Fitch in the #3 Cunningham Corvette that was raced by Fitch and Bob Grossman at LeMans in 1960. To the best of my knowledge the picture was taken at the Corvettes at Carlisle (PA) event in 2003.

The pictures are signed by John Fitch (they are reproductions including the signature)

On the back of the photo it says:

To this for whom automobiles are forever
fascinating; for those who see in a turning wheel
both the principal of motion and the promise of
other horizons, For those who see in a fine
automobile an expression of the man's will, one form
of his art and the evidence of his longing to move
with precision and grace.

....."Adventures on Wheels"
Autobiography of John Fitch

Fitch was to a large extent responsible for setting up the first Corvette racing team and establishing the Corvette as a force to be reckoned with in International Road Racing,

If anyone would like a copy PM me your mailing address and I will send you one,

The supply is limited so order yours today!

But wait, there's more! If you are one of the first 5 callers you will also get a copy of the notorious "Pothole Explosions The Movie" posters!
This rare poster is doubling in value every year. Last year it was worthless and today it is worth twice that!

CA

#53 ·
As I recall, the median age of a Corvette buyer is 53, just a couple years older than BMW buyers. We are talking, what, 3% more grey hair? :)

Regardless of the buyer's age, a lot of Corvettes are seriously driven on the track, autoX, twisty country roads. There are sure a lot of them at events for a car of which only about 35,000 are made a year.

Very few live boring, stultifying lives of taking the wife to the mall and the kid to soccer practice.

#49 ·
No question the average age of a Corvette owner is getting up there. With this new car they hope to attract some of the younger folks buying Porches and BMWs and Audis.
We shall see; it it's a pretty slick offering.

#50 · (Edited)
DO YA THINK?

If you check out the new stingray dash... It's pretty similar to the LCI display for BMW (I believe only Europe/Canada gets it), it's pretty sick, and the new interior on the corvette looks a lot less "plasticky"... I'd take my C5 over the garbage C6 interior any day... :)

#51 ·
If you check out the new stingray dash... It's pretty similar to the LCI display for BMW (I believe only Europe/Canada gets it), it's pretty sick, and the new interior on the corvette looks a lot less "plasticky"... I'd take my C6 over the garbage C7 interior any day... :)
Your C6 has a much cleaner exterior design as well. With all the stuff going on with the C7's body, I would not be surprised if Hasbro is now "developing" a C7-based "character" to be revealed in the next Transformers movie as BumbleBee's older brother who was captured by the Decepticons.

#52 · (Edited)
Pictures from the Manhattan debut of the C7 Corvette. The white 1953 is the third Corvette ever made and is the car that was show at GM Motorama at the Waldoft Astoria 60 years ago.

'''

''

#62 ·
I think the first produced Corvette is owned by Kerbeck and is on display at their Chevy dealership in Atlantic City, NJ. If I'm not mistaken. Corvette #2 was owned by Skip Miller of the Carlisle Fairgrounds in Calisle, PA. Skip passed away a few years ago and the family now owns it. I've seen it on display at the Corvettes at Carlisle show.

The rear of the C7 is starting to grow on me. Like someone previously mentioned, the rear of the C6 looked unfinished. I didn't particularly like it either. But, Corvettes have always had round tail lights, and these that look like the Camaro, are drawing much criticism from the long term Corvette community. (just like when GM did away with the hideaway head lights in the C6 for European style fixed head lights.)

The interior layout really looks similar to what was in my ZO6 except for the two toned color scheme and the updated displays. The seats look more bolstered which is a good thing. To drive spririted around corners, I would have to lock the seatbelt to keep from sliding out of my seat because there was very little in the way of seat bolsters. A GM exec told me at a show that I attended a couple of years ago, that GM did not provide more aggressive bolsters because many of their older customers could not fit properly (older broader guys). They also tried to save weight and some money by not offering electric adjustable seat bolsters.

GM also needs to keep their cost down so people can afford to buy Corvettes. There is a monster performance car under the body shell. Most Corvette owners only care about how the car performs, as opposed to all of the creature comforts. The more GM adds to the Corvette, the higher the price tag. The C6 ZO6 was already pushing $100,000.

I read one guys post in the Corvette Forum where he wanted (on top of what the C7 already has) extended leather interior, alcantera and carbon fiber accents, 475 HP, a better GPS system, and better looking wheels - all for under $55,000. Good Luck! Some people have no idea of value.

PS: there are extra storage bins under the rear cargo space carpet. The Corvette coupe has always had a lot of rear storage space. Not so much for the convertible.

#65 ·
The 1953 Corvette that was on display last night was owned by Kerbeck,

CA

#66 · (Edited)
Oh, so who owns #1? I always thought it was Kerbeck?

This is what I was thinking regarding Kerbeck's Corvette. I'm not sure which car he had at your event, but he owns the first experimental Corvette that started it's build in 1951, which GM then based the Corvette for sale to the public in 1953.

http://www.kerbeck.com/kerbeck/kerbeck.nsf/worlds_oldest_corvette

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.