BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Will the 2014 Lexus IS doom the F30 3er?!

44K views 195 replies 62 participants last post by  408Racer 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
2014 Lexus IS

OK, I just chose that title to stir up trouble. :bigpimp:

Just watched video of it being introduced at the NAIAS and had to post....OMG that thing is absolutely butt ugly!! Seriously. What in the world is Lexus thinking?!

Here's the video. It wasn't the photos that I first saw. It was the car in motion in this video. The proportions are just horrible.

Attachments

See less See more
1 7
#41 ·
I think the 2014 lexus IS looks decent although similar to the current IS. The problem with the current IS much like most of the other Lexus models is that they do not drive well. I will have to reserve judgement until I drive a 2014 IS but when I decide the time is right to get a new car, the F30 however will be on the top of my list while the IS is at the bottom.

#55 ·
Front looks like the predator, from the back, the taillights make it look like a drag queen. And it probably won't be available with a manual. That's strike three, yerrrrrrrr out Lexus!!

#64 ·
I don't think that a significant number of Lexus owners really wanted a BMW but "settled" for a Lexus because they couldn't afford a BMW.
For whatever reasons they preferred a Lexus to a BMW. That was certainly my situation in 1992 when I purchased a Lexus SC300 coupe. I crossed shopped BMW and Mercedes and preferred the Lexus. Cost was not an issue as all of the cars were similarly priced.

CA

#66 · (Edited)
Perhaps Lexus can use that in an advertising campaign.

"The new IS, just like JLo, big rear end - small talent!"

CA

#75 ·
Lexus is a rebadged Toyota.

There, fix it for CA.
What the hell took you so long? :dunno:

I figured that would have been the second or third post.

CA

#116 · (Edited)
That's the problem with the pointless Toyota LFA...I'd rather get an Aventador with enough money leftover for another 328 and an X3.
I have always considered Lamborghinis to be the ultimate nouveau riche low life car. If I was looking for a car in that price range it would not even be a consideration as I would be embarrassed to be seen in one. Lambos should come with bumper stickers that say "lots of money but no class". I wouln't care if they came out with a car that went 0 to 60 in 500 nanoseconds, pulled 12 Gs in cornering force and could drive up the side of a building, it will always be a car for rich parolees in my eyes.

This picture of Poop Duty in a Lambo pretty much sums it up.

CA

#124 ·
I have always considered Lamborghinis to be the ultimate nouveau riche low life car. If I was looking for a car in that price range it would not even be a consideration as I would be embarrassed to be seen in one. Lambos should come with bumper stickers that say "lots of money but no class". I wouln't care if they came out with a car that went 0 to 60 in 500 nanoseconds, pulled 12 Gs in cornering force and could drive up the side of a building, it will always be a car for rich parolees in my eyes.

This picture of Poop Duty in a Lambo pretty much sums it up.

CA
Lamborghini is the antithesis of Ferrari.

#77 ·
I have owned four BMW's. A 2002 ti that I had to put in a Weber two barrel carb to get some power, but it handled great, a 320i, a 733i, and now a 328i. We also have a 2011 Lexus ES350 which is smooth, reliable, and a horse on long trips, with good gas mileage. The bimmers have always been more fun, more maintenance, while the Lexus is a luxurious cruiser that is especially great for long trips. I also find the tech features on the loaded Lexus to be more intuitive then their German counterparts.

#82 · (Edited)
Lexus should not have gone full in with their ugly cooperate grille, they should have dip their toes in it to test the water first. Initial reaction to the GS350's grille was mostly negative, Lexus should have learn from that. As far as rattles in the F30, there are some reports of rattles but its not wide spread. When I had the F30 3 series for a day or so, it didnt feel that solid to me. Not 5 series and 7 series solid anyways. Some people are much more sensitive to rettles than others, I am border line OCD about rattles and how solid a car feels. Some friends of mine couldnt care less about rattles, even after I point out the small rattles, they claim they dont hear it. When I point out the really loud ones, they would say something to the affect of " You mean that little squeak, all cars have that, it doesnt bother me at all.

#87 · (Edited)
The reaction to the GS's grill was negative, but Lexus is still selling the GS in the volumes they projected. Not to the extent that BMW sells the 5 series, but it met their expectations without a lot of discounting so the design... and especially the interior and driving experience... seems to have paid off for them. They seem to be going through the "Bangle era" design phase, where the exterior design may seem weird to some but the driving experience is great!

#85 ·
I agree. Those that are not OCD enough leave for other brands with less car trouble. For example, I put up with multiple instances of failed sending units when my car was new, but there was a guy that said he sold his car and bought a toyota. A friend of my sold his Bimmer because it was breaking a lot at 60-70K miles and got a Lexus instead. He says he misses the Bimmer but the Lexus is super reliable.

#86 ·
I don't think the 2014 Lexus IS will doom the F30 and I would say from the pics it looks good front/back/inside. I might test drive one just for kicks.

No rattles and buzzes yet but the brake squeak is there and so is the fun factor...for realiability look somewhere else.

#105 ·
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1304_2014_lexus_is_350_sport_first_drive/

It looks better in black than white... the darker color "mutes" some of the styling details.

But here's the tidbit that caught my eye: Bigger back seat and they now fold down 60/40! This is a HUGE deal for me and one of the reasons why I always eliminated Japanese brands like Lexus and Infiniti before...their back seats wouldn't fold down which hugely limited the utility of the car. So now I'm looking at a luxury performance sedan that has added utility (I can finally throw my mountain bike in the back), more interior room, unquestionable Toyota reliability and solid resale value? Hmmm... I might be able to "overlook" some of the styling cues for that.

#108 ·
Does look pretty good i wonder how it drives. We test drove the current is350 and it was nice and strong and sounded good. Just didnt have it though. Curious to drive this one. But it wont matter my next car will be an ///M unless the isF steps it up BIG TIME.

I wouldnt be able to take neither cars to the limit so the one that is the better combination of handling looks and pricing would win for me. Of course i can pick up an e92 later on or a 1m coupe (when the overpriced used market nonsense is over).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.