2013 F31 328i xDrive Sport Wagon starts at $42,345

by Bimmerfest.com Member - martinBoston on January 21, 2013, 8:45 pm
F31 328i xDrive Sports Wagon Pricing: Starting at $42,345

Wagon fans out there! I visited the New England Auto Show in Boston this week. On displayed (but door locked ) was a beautiful red BMW 328i xDrive Sports Wagon with sport line trim. The pricing was displayed next to the car. I have not been able to find the pricing anywhere else.

MSRP $42,345 including destination. All the options, including the sport trim (2,600) are extra. See attached picture for details.

BMW F31 3 Series Sport Wagon Line Pricing
  • Luxury Line (ZLL) - $2300
  • Modern Line (ZML) - $2300
  • M Sport Line (ZMM) - $3950
  • Sport Line (ZSL) - $2600

BMW F31 3 Series Sport Wagon Option Pricing
  • Cold weather package (ZCW) - $950
  • Driver assistance package (ZDA) - $1900
  • Driver assistance plus (ZDB) - $700
  • Dynamic handling package (ZDH) - $1000
  • Lighting package (ZLP) - $900
  • Premium package (ZPP) - $2200
  • Roof rails black - $100
  • Sport automatic transmission with paddle shifters - $500
  • Anti-theft alarm system - $400
  • Rear view camera - $400 - included with ZDA
  • Rear manual side window shades - $250
  • Heated front seats - $500 - included with ZCW
  • Park distance control - $750 - included with ZDA
  • Automatic high beams - $250
  • Active cruise control with Stop&Go $2400
  • Navigation system with voice command and BMW Apps - $2150 - included with ZTP
  • Harmon Kardon surround sound system - $875
  • Burl Walnut trim - $500 - included with ZMM
  • Dakota Leather upholstery - $1450
  • Metalic paint - $550
2013-BMW-3-Series-Sports-Wagon 12013-BMW-3-Series-Sports-Wagon 22013-BMW-3-Series-Sports-Wagon 32013-BMW-3-Series-Sports-Wagon 42013-BMW-3-Series-Sports-Wagon 52013-BMW-3-Series-Sports-Wagon 62013-BMW-3-Series-Sports-Wagon 72013-BMW-3-Series-Sports-Wagon 82013-BMW-3-Series-Sports-Wagon 92013-BMW-3-Series-Sports-Wagon 102013-BMW-3-Series-Sports-Wagon 112013-BMW-3-Series-Sports-Wagon 12

Leave a Comment

You must be a registered member to comment on stories. Please take a moment to register for your free account now. If you already have an account, log in using fields below.

69 responses to 2013 F31 328i xDrive Sport Wagon starts at $42,345

1985mb commented:
January 21, 2013, 8:50 pm

Awesome!
JoeFromPA commented:
January 21, 2013, 11:22 pm

Great info. Glad I picked up an e60 535xi wagon then - that's quite a hefty entry price.
Tirpitz commented:
January 22, 2013, 12:03 am

Been waiting to see the pricing. Wondering if I would regret pulling the trigger on the X1 instead. If that $42,345 is the base MSRP I'm glad I did not wait.

Nice looking though. If I wanted some of the F30 technology and was willing to pay a price up in the mid to high $40K range I'd be all over it.
JoeFromPA commented:
January 22, 2013, 1:06 am

I got in one at the auto show. Beautiful, lovely entry level wagon. Tad too small for what the Mrs. was looking for - the e60 wagon fit the bill better.

Nonetheless, I find the f31 touring to be the best looking of the f30 design language to date. The rear end is just so well done. If it was available in 335 trim with a manual trans well....well I'd be in europe then
pilotman commented:
January 22, 2013, 1:51 pm

Wow, that base price is prohibitively high....Its more than every single competitor...including Audi Allroad, Cadillac CTS.....and many small luxury SUVs that are often cross-shopped against wagons...The X1, X3, Audi Q5, Mercedes GLK, Lexus RX350 are all cheaper....

For example, that's nearly $5k higher than the Audi Q5...*****, BMW must not really be interested in selling this wagon, at a base price of nearly $43k....

I would rather buy a stripper 320 sedan for $33k, and take the extra $10k and buy a used Subaru Outback for the price of one of these stripped out wagons.

Love the wagon, but no way would I pay that much of a premium for it, especially when I can get a very nice, roomy and great handling X3, Q5 etc for at least $5k less.
SilverX3 commented:
January 22, 2013, 1:58 pm

Cheap 65k starting price here
martinBoston commented:
January 22, 2013, 2:52 pm

I think the base price is similar to the Audi Allroad. You would be hard pressed to order the base allroad without at least the convenience package (bluetooth).

Base allroad $ 39,600
convenience package: 1,100
destination: 895
Price as Built: $ 41,595

At this level on the audi, you will not get Start-Stop, color flat display and the maintenance included for 4 years. The maintenance alone is probably worth it.

It does not help me choose between the bmw and the audi...
bzcat commented:
January 22, 2013, 2:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinBoston View Post
I think the base price is similar to the Audi Allroad. You would be hard pressed to order the base allroad without at least the convenience package (bluetooth).

Base allroad $ 39,600
convenience package: 1,100
destination: 895
Price as Built: $ 41,595

At this level on the audi, you will not get Start-Stop, color flat display and the maintenance included for 4 years. The maintenance alone is probably worth it.

It does not help me choose between the bmw and the audi...
But the allroad is also more expensive than the Q5 comparably equipped so I think the overall point here is the same... 328xi (and allroad) is very expensive for what it is. For the same price as an allroad, you can drive home in a Q5 3.0T; or save $3,000 with a Q5 2.0T.

It appears that both BMW and Audi have decided to charge a massive wagon premium relative to the SUVs
SilverX3 commented:
January 22, 2013, 3:39 pm

42K here I buy one now

65K.... hmmmmm
pilotman commented:
January 22, 2013, 3:39 pm

I thought the Audi Allroad comes standard with a 6.5" colour screen for HVAC, audio, etc....

and by start/stop, you mean ASS? I would prefer not to have that, as many others on here complain about it too....so that is definitely not a feature for me....

Again, this wagon is very nice but if past history is correct, there will be few, if any, avaliable to test drive.

Moreover, the lease deals are bound to be atrocious as they have historically been on the wagons....this, combined with the high base price...well...you're gonna pay dearly for this if you really want it.
Itgb commented:
January 22, 2013, 4:52 pm

It's too bad that Audi stopped importing the standard Avant, as the allroad costs more for no reason. I guess they know us Americans are suckers for higher ride heights and plastic trim.

The 3 series touring is actually priced exactly like I expected... expensive. Almost 25% premium over a X1 28i xdrive with the same engine/transmission.

Still hopeful of a diesel touring, but I'm not holding my breath.
TV88 commented:
January 22, 2013, 4:58 pm

There is a pricing error in the first post. The "Sport Line" option should be $2,600 and not $3,600. This is clearly indicated in the photograph from the auto show.

I'd like more details about what is contained in each of the option packages (specifically, what is the difference b/w "Sport" and "M Sport") but my eyes can't quite make out the tiny wording on the lower right of the photograph.

IF I were able to buy the car with a manual transmission I'd start making my Euro delivery plans. But as it stands the car is definitely not a screaming value and I'm going to keep my options open for now.
bzcat commented:
January 22, 2013, 5:51 pm

Food for thought...

X3 xDrive28i MSRP $38,850
328i xDrive MSRP $42,345
Wagon Premium = $3,495

cf X3 xDriver35i MSRP $43,950... but it has more standard equipment than 328i so comparably equipped, 328i wagon cost about the same as X3 35i.

Q5 2.0T MSRP $35,900
A4 allroad 2.0T $39,600
Wagon Premium = $4,000

cf Q5 3.0T MSRP $43,900... also has more standard equipment than allroad. So again, comparably equipped, allroad cost about the same as Q5 3.0T.
The Swede commented:
January 22, 2013, 7:01 pm

That's quite a high premium for wagon. In Sweden and I beleve the rest of Europe the difference between the sedan and the wagon is around 2000 USD.

My wife just got a new 320d wagon Advantage Edition with Sport line as her company car and she paid 270.000 SEK (around 41.000 USD) (that's without the VAT because that's not interesting if you lease the car through a company).
martinBoston commented:
January 22, 2013, 7:13 pm

here is the best resolution I can stretch from the fine prints.
m8o commented:
January 22, 2013, 9:43 pm

My loaded JCW Mini wasn't much less. ...Which I very well may be trading in for one of these. Good to know, and where I thought it would be w/all wheel drive.
des16 commented:
January 23, 2013, 8:02 am

The discussion above has been about the price premium relative to X3 or SUV. That is not the relevant comparison, since it's like comparing apples and oranges. The relevant question is what is the price premium over the sedan, which has a price of 38,850. Indeed, The 3,500 for a wagon relative to the sedan seems very high to me. Additionally, if you compare the price of the wagon with the sedan in Europe, we are paying a much higher premium in the US. But, I guess they are marketing the niche product to fools like me who will pay the price premium.
pilotman commented:
January 23, 2013, 10:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by des16 View Post
The discussion above has been about the price premium relative to X3 or SUV. That is not the relevant comparison, since it's like comparing apples and oranges. The relevant question is what is the price premium over the sedan, which has a price of 38,850. Indeed, The 3,500 for a wagon relative to the sedan seems very high to me. But, I guess they are marketing the niche product to fools like me who will pay the price premium.
I disagree, i think it *IS* a relevant comparsion...especially since the X1, X3, Q5 etc. are all functionally equivalent as far as luxury, size, AWD, etc....

The wagon just sits lower and handles a little better, but if you haven't driven one, the X3 is no slouch in the handling dept, it is quite good for what it is.
3ismagic# commented:
January 23, 2013, 10:15 am

Apparently they don't want to sell any of these.
iamthewalrus commented:
January 23, 2013, 10:19 am

Marketing question: Is the price increase because this is a low-volume model? Or is it the socio-economics of wagon buyers that they can afford a higher price point? Or are there so few US wagon options that BMW can charge more vs SUVs where every manufacturer offers several? What do you think?
martinBoston commented:
January 23, 2013, 1:23 pm

ref: comparing with X3 or Q5
For me, it is about driving height. I'm unconformable driving too high from the ground. As such, I'm not interested in the X3 or Q5. That said, I admit I have not tried either - just too many SUV rentals while traveling. The wagon has also a better environmental friendly persona in my opinion (and that has a price marketing wise).

Limited choices for a sport wagon with 4WD in near luxury. 328i XDrive touring or Audi AllRoad are the only contender in my book. They are both similar in prices. I'm also a sucker and will pay the premium for the wagon.

I'm still holding out until I can test drive one... and until to hear additional information about the Diesel xDrive version assuming it is coming this year.
des16 commented:
January 23, 2013, 2:33 pm

First, while I respect someone's choice to by an X3, I repeat it is like apples and oranges. I have driven the X3, and the driving experience is completely different from the F31 -- and yes, I have driven the F31 (in France). Additionally, the F31 gas mileage is 20% higher than the X3. So, it is not on my radar screen, and I imagine the same holds true for those of us who are niche wagon buyers. That being said, as the previous post notes, there are only two choices: Allroad or F31. My test drives have not been back to back, but, having driven both, I am would definitely recommend the F31. Additionally, the gas mileage on the F31 is substantially better than the Audi, and it comes with the free service, which has to be worth a couple of thousand dollars (based on my previous ownership experience with my E90 and E46). All that being said, it does get me agitated that European drivers have so many better choices, including manual and diesels, and furthermore, that they don't get ripped off for buying a wagon. But, this of course reflects our SUV society where choices are numerous, and competition is keen.
SamS commented:
January 23, 2013, 2:37 pm

Hmmmm... only xDrive availability means a useless price premium for anyone living south of the Mason Dixon line.

Take out the couple hundred pounds of xDrive gear and add the ActiveHybrid system instead, and you'll have my attention
55 commented:
January 23, 2013, 4:34 pm

Quote:
First, while I respect someone's choice to by an X3, I repeat it is like apples and oranges. I have driven the X3, and the driving experience is completely different from the F31 -- and yes, I have driven the F31 (in France). Additionally, the F31 gas mileage is 20% higher than the X3. So, it is not on my radar screen, and I imagine the same holds true for those of us who are niche wagon buyers. That being said, as the previous post notes, there are only two choices: Allroad or F31. My test drives have not been back to back, but, having driven both, I am would definitely recommend the F31. Additionally, the gas mileage on the F31 is substantially better than the Audi, and it comes with the free service, which has to be worth a couple of thousand dollars (based on my previous ownership experience with my E90 and E46). All that being said, it does get me agitated that European drivers have so many better choices, including manual and diesels, and furthermore, that they don't get ripped off for buying a wagon. But, this of course reflects our SUV society where choices are numerous, and competition is keen.
All good what you said, but they do get ripped off for buying anything, compare to US car buyers.
Choices-yes, but maybe these low prices limit our choices?
SilverX3 commented:
January 23, 2013, 4:38 pm

so cheap there

bmw australia released RRP
Manufacturer's Recommended List Price (1)
320i $58,811.00
320d $62,900.00
The Swede commented:
January 23, 2013, 4:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55 View Post
All good what you said, but they do get ripped off for buying anything, compare to US car buyers.
Choices-yes, but maybe these low prices limit our choices?
I think it's mostly because of taxes. Not because BMW charges a higher price here.

In Sweden cars have 25 % VAT. If you subtract the VAT from a new BMW in Sweden you get a price around the American.

Ex a BMW F31 328 with Sport Line, lightning package/xenon, alarm, rails, rain sensor, cold weather package (standard), heated seats (front and back) and PDC costs 43.000 USD before taxes in Sweden.
bzcat commented:
January 23, 2013, 5:35 pm

Quote:
First, while I respect someone's choice to by an X3, I repeat it is like apples and oranges.
You are missing the point. The "wagon premium" is not about which car handles better. It is about the price gouging that is going on here with Audi and now BMW both asking $3~4,000 more than they did previously, for no good reasons.

In 2010:
The E91 328i wagon was cheaper than the comparable X3 3.0.
The A4 Avant 2.0T quattro was cheaper than the comparable Q5 2.0T.

In 2013
The F31 328i xDrive wagon is priced comparable to X3 35i xDrive, a roughly $3,600 price increase vs. reference point
The A4 allroad is priced comparable to Q5 3.0T, a $4,000 price increase vs. reference point

Content level for both wagon and SUV have gone up so this is an apples to apples comparison.

So to sum it up for you simpletons... in 3 years, the wagon prices (328i/allroad) have gone up from comparable to lower trim level SUV (e.g. Q5 2.0T) to higher trim level SUV (e.g. Q5 3.0T); whereas we didn't see such a similar price increase in other body styles (e.g. 328 sedan/coupe is still cheaper than X3 28i, not priced near X3 35i level, A4/5 is still cheaper than Q5 2.0T, not priced near Q5 3.0T level). The only conclusion we can make here is that this is price gouging - because Audi/BMW know wagon buyers will grit their teeth and pay it. Or maybe we won't... and Audi/BMW will use that as an excuse to not give the wagon to us next time.
Tirpitz commented:
January 23, 2013, 5:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
You are missing the point. The "wagon premium" is not about which car handles better. It is about the price gouging that is going on here with Audi and now BMW both asking $4,000 more than they did previously, for no good reasons.
Perhaps the cost increase is a function of the cost of certifying the Touring for sale in the US. The cost of certification is supposed to be in the multi-millions per vehicle/powertrain/transmission. When you divide that cost out over fewer vehicles that drives up the price. Both Audi and BMW figure they are going to sell more SUV types than wagon types. Anyone know how many 3 series Touring of the last generation BMW sold vs. X3's? I do see the occasional wagon her in Southern CA but they are a drop in the bucket compared to the X3 and X5 numbers that parade by.
bzcat commented:
January 23, 2013, 5:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirpitz View Post
Perhaps the cost increase is a function of the cost of certifying the Touring for sale in the US. The cost of certification is supposed to be in the multi-millions per vehicle/powertrain/transmission. When you divide that cost out over fewer vehicles that drives up the price. Both Audi and BMW figure they are going to sell more SUV types than wagon types. Anyone know how many 3 series Touring of the last generation BMW sold vs. X3's? I do see the occasional wagon her in Southern CA but they are a drop in the bucket compared to the X3 and X5 numbers that parade by.
Sure, that's a factor. But it didn't stop BMW from selling the 328i (and Audi from selling the A4 Avant) without an artificial high price before.

I don't doubt the fact that wagon is probably a money looser for both Audi and BMW here in the US. But still, the price increase is pretty cynical when you consider that the people buying these cars are actually the most loyal customers to both brands.
Tirpitz commented:
January 23, 2013, 6:10 pm

Quote:
Sure, that's a factor. But it didn't stop BMW from selling the 328i (and Audi from selling the A4 Avant) without an artificial high price before.

I don't doubt the fact that wagon is probably a money looser for both Audi and BMW here in the US. But still, the price increase is pretty cynical when you consider that the people buying these cars are actually the most loyal customers to both brands.
Perhaps before they didn't price the Touring models correctly and took a big loss on them. I'm remembering reading somewhere that in the first year the last 5 Touring was sold here they sold only 900 of them which is why it didn't come back.

If the most loyal customers only buy models that loose money for the manufacturer why does BMW or Audi want to keep those customers? If they really worried about that then they would be bringing the Touring over in MT because that is what the real BMW fans want. Seriously if they do loose money for the company then then should pull the trigger and not bring them over at all. All they are accomplishing is ticking off the people interested in the Touring and then discovering that they can't sell enough of them in the US market.

At the end of the day all we can do is guess at the reasons and lament the fact that the Touring is priced in a way that makes it unattractive. I wish it was priced so that I'd be tempted to swap my X1 for one in a couple of years.
raleedy commented:
January 23, 2013, 6:21 pm

Prices aren't very closely related to cost. They're more a function of what people are willing to pay. If you think the price of a particular model is too high, you have an effective way of voting on it.
floydarogers commented:
January 23, 2013, 6:33 pm

Quote:
...Anyone know how many 3 series Touring of the last generation BMW sold vs. X3's? ...
I researched this a couple weeks ago: BMW averages around 3,000 3-series wagons a year in the US, about 1/2 the xDrive version (going back to the E46.)
Itgb commented:
January 23, 2013, 7:49 pm

Quote:
You are missing the point. The "wagon premium" is not about which car handles better. It is about the price gouging that is going on here with Audi and now BMW both asking $3~4,000 more than they did previously, for no good reasons.

In 2010:
The E91 328i wagon was cheaper than the comparable X3 3.0. The A4 Avant 2.0T quattro was cheaper than the comparable Q5 2.0T.

In 2013
The F31 328i xDrive wagon is priced comparable to X3 35i xDrive, a roughly $3,600 price increase vs. reference point
The A4 allroad is priced comparable to Q5 3.0T, a $4,000 price increase vs. reference point

Content level for both wagon and SUV have gone up so this is an apples to apples comparison.

So to sum it up for you simpletons... in 3 years, the wagon prices (328i/allroad) have gone up from comparable to lower trim level SUV (e.g. Q5 2.0T) to higher trim level SUV (e.g. Q5 3.0T); whereas we didn't see such a similar price increase in other body styles (e.g. 328 sedan/coupe is still cheaper than X3 28i, not priced near X3 35i level, A4/5 is still cheaper than Q5 2.0T, not priced near Q5 3.0T level). The only conclusion we can make here is that this is price gouging - because Audi/BMW know wagon buyers will grit their teeth and pay it. Or maybe we won't... and Audi/BMW will use that as an excuse to not give the wagon to us next time.
These are MSRP(No destination)
2010 RWD wagon had a $2550 premium over sedan, xDrive wagon was $2325 cheaper than highest trim X3.
2010 328i Sedan $32,850
2010 328i xDrive Sedan $34,850
2010 328i Wagon $35,400
2010 328i xDrive Wagon $37,400
2010 X3 xDrive30i $39,725
2013 RWD wagon has a $2600 premium over sedan, xDrive wagon is $2500 cheaper than highest trim X3.
2013 328i Sedan $36,850
2013 328i xDrive Sedan $38,850
2013 X3 xDrive28i $38,850
2013 328i Wagon $39,450 (guessing $2k under xDrive)
2013 328i xDrive Wagon $41,450
2013 X3 xDrive35i $43,950

So compared to the sedan, the wagon has held pricing. Compared to the highest trim X3, it has actually gotten cheaper. I think you are also forgetting that the 2010 X3 xDrive30i used to be the highest trim. When the old bodystyle X3 was first released there was a 2.5i and 3.0i. They got rid of the 2.5i and only kept the higher trim 3.0i which morphed into the xDrive30i by 2010.
hans007 commented:
January 23, 2013, 8:09 pm

i don tthink its really that overpriced compared to the sedan.

if you look at the spec sheet in the picture, you do get a moonroof standard. the sedan doesnt have a standard moonroof. now i personally would never get a moonroof, but if you were going to get one anyway thats $1000 of the difference
DCC commented:
January 24, 2013, 12:28 am

A friend went to the Houston Autoshow today and saw this

Robert A commented:
January 24, 2013, 1:12 am

None of this wagon pricing would really bother me if it weren't for the fact that elsewhere in bimmerfest, people are complaining about dash rattles in their F30 sedans. I can't stand cars that rattle, especially ones that cost $50k.
55 commented:
January 24, 2013, 9:53 am

To be honest I am more concern with the lack of choice of engines and transmissions than about price. It's always been the case. If they tried to sell E91 with N54 and diesel, the sales numbers would be different. Now they take away the MT as well.
Deals and factory incentives will be there, it is not a problelm...
Blake P commented:
January 24, 2013, 4:14 pm

Although it's always welcoming to see new F31 info, I'm not sure how accurate it is. That option pricing appears to be a copy/paste from the F30 for the most part, which is inconsistent with previous information released saying the F31 would have more standard equipment than the F30. Even this page on the BMW USA site indicates adaptive xenon headlights and LED tails are standard: http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...FVCVDetailId=2
I guess we'll find out soon enough...
MP3_E46 commented:
January 24, 2013, 10:07 pm

That price cannot be right. I just looked at what we paid for an 2007 ED 328i Wagon that had a few options: $33,250 before tax. ~$10K more and two less cylinders... that does not sound correct
Eric Genname commented:
January 24, 2013, 10:30 pm

As a goodwill gesture, if BMW gives me one I promise to display it prominently in my driveway.
ebs0712 commented:
January 25, 2013, 5:10 pm

As they say the devil is in the details. The "wagon premium" is actually around $1,700 which is very reasonable ........
Details: The $42,345 includes destination of $895 so the true MSRP is $41,450 but the wagon includes the panoramic sunroof in the base price. The price difference for the Premium Package (ZPP) on the wagon is $900 less than the same package on the sedan which includes the sunroof. So $41,450 - 38,850 - 900 = $1,700! Almost all of the other option packages are the same price for the wagon and the sedan.
What does everyone think about a $1,700 "wagon premium"?
Eric Genname commented:
January 25, 2013, 5:57 pm

BMW Canada has specs on their Touring model now.
martinBoston commented:
January 25, 2013, 7:41 pm

The $1,700 "wagon premium" is worth it in my opinion, added cargo and uniqueness. Plus, the sunroof is much bigger as compared to the F30.

That car is really growing on me. I can't wait to try one.
Robert A commented:
January 25, 2013, 7:48 pm

Where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Genname View Post
BMW Canada has specs on their Touring model now.
Eric Genname commented:
January 25, 2013, 7:56 pm

There are two PDFs in the thread on this site:

3 Series All-New 3 Series Touring - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...1&d=1359388134

Order guide - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...1&d=1359388134

For Canada, at least, it does show the sunroof as standard. It also bundles the adaptive M suspension in an M Performance Package:

ZPF M Performance Package
2NH M Sport brake
2PF 19" M wheel, perf. RFT tire (style 403M)
2VF Adaptive M Suspension
840 High speed maximum with perf. tires

This is different than for the US sedan, which has a Dynamic Handling Package, correct?

It looked to me that the Canadian Build Your Own tool still shows the previous model specs, but I just took a quick look. Someone more knowledgeable than I needs to interpret all this for us.

It's listed as a 2014 model.
adgrant commented:
January 25, 2013, 11:07 pm

Quote:
The discussion above has been about the price premium relative to X3 or SUV. That is not the relevant comparison, since it's like comparing apples and oranges. The relevant question is what is the price premium over the sedan, which has a price of 38,850. Indeed, The 3,500 for a wagon relative to the sedan seems very high to me. Additionally, if you compare the price of the wagon with the sedan in Europe, we are paying a much higher premium in the US. But, I guess they are marketing the niche product to fools like me who will pay the price premium.
The significant price premium relative to the X1 was also pointed out and the X1 is basically an E91 station wagon with a somewhat higher ride height and some ugly plastic bits. OTOH its available with a straight six and decent steering.
Tirpitz commented:
January 26, 2013, 11:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
I researched this a couple weeks ago: BMW averages around 3,000 3-series wagons a year in the US, about 1/2 the xDrive version (going back to the E46.)
Interesting because despite only having it on sale for roughly 6 months BMW moved just under 9,000 X1's in the USA. That would imply the X1 will outsell the Touring 6-1.
adgrant commented:
January 26, 2013, 12:02 pm

Quote:
Interesting because despite only having it on sale for roughly 6 months BMW moved just under 9,000 X1's in the USA. That would imply the X1 will outsell the Touring 6-1.
Probably by even more given the price difference.
sjhwilkes commented:
January 26, 2013, 2:41 pm

I agree the option pricing is wrong. BMW have tended to option the wagon higher by default, justifying the higher starting price, but then lowering some of the options packages. I'd be stunned if Xenon's, sunroof etc. aren't standard as before.
Still sad about all the 'line' business and the lack of M/T. A used E91 or even E61 still seems like my best option much as I'd love to do an ED again, I may be able to find a M/T and the savings will be more than enough for a fancy European vacation.
Byron Walter commented:
January 26, 2013, 3:35 pm

These are not good times (in NA) for those of us that like and find wagons useful. I know that I'm going to be checking the F31 out. I don't like the compromise in handling that is imposed by vehicles with increased ride height. Likewise for moving junk on an off the roof, a lower roofline really helps. However I'd probably go for the new allroad if it had the 3.0 liter supercharged engine rather than the current two-banger... but that's not likely to happen here as Audi would probably only manage to sell a handful of them.
Eric Genname commented:
January 26, 2013, 4:12 pm

The Canadian brochure shows Modern Line, sunroof, leather, heated seats, zenon, etc. as standard. If those features are priced as per the 2013 F30, this is going to be one expensive vehicle. It seems odd to lard up a model people choose for its utility, but I guess BMW knows what it's doing. I just want a diesel, AWD wagon that's fun to drive.
m8o commented:
January 27, 2013, 12:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrant View Post
Probably by even more given the price difference.
And you can get the X1 in '35' -guise.
adgrant commented:
January 27, 2013, 5:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8o View Post
And you can get the X1 in '35' -guise.
And it will drive much better than an F31 thanks to th F31 EPS.
Eric Genname commented:
January 27, 2013, 5:48 pm

Totally subjectively, I test drove an X1 with xDrive (thus hydraulic steering) three times and a 328i sedan once, and had a lot more fun in the X1. For some reason the sedan kept lurching on me, and I finished up the test drive with two fingers on the steering wheel, feeling somewhat bored. With both, I missed having a MT, which I suppose puts me amongst those who prefer to feel that we're somehow making the car go when we drive it by pushing on pedals and working hard to turn steering wheels. But if effort and feedback promote alert and engaged driving, that's a good thing. I'm not ready for driverless cars. (What's next xxx-less sex?)

The downside to the X1 is that it's a bit behind the curve on amenities. In particular, the lack of iDrive standard is downright annoying.
adgrant commented:
January 27, 2013, 7:28 pm

Quote:
Totally subjectively, I test drove an X1 with xDrive (thus hydraulic steering) three times and a 328i sedan once, and had a lot more fun in the X1. For some reason the sedan kept lurching on me, and I finished up the test drive with two fingers on the steering wheel, feeling somewhat bored. With both, I missed having a MT, which I suppose puts me amongst those who prefer to feel that we're somehow making the car go when we drive it by pushing on pedals and working hard to turn steering wheels. But if effort and feedback promote alert and engaged driving, that's a good thing. I'm not ready for driverless cars. (What's next xxx-less sex?)

The downside to the X1 is that it's a bit behind the curve on amenities. In particular, the lack of iDrive standard is downright annoying.
Given all the money you can save over the F31, you can add the full set of tech packages to the X1. The main advantage the X1 has IMHO, is is much better looking.
shoes commented:
January 28, 2013, 3:34 pm

I am going to write a check to the first German manufacturer who offers a 4WD diesel wagon here in the US. I just hope it will be BMW.
Sethy commented:
January 30, 2013, 7:41 am

Looks great! Still not ready to trade in my 325XIT bot nice to know there are options when i am ready
ynguldyn commented:
January 30, 2013, 10:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes View Post
I am going to write a check to the first German manufacturer who offers a 4WD diesel wagon here in the US. I just hope it will be BMW.
Most likely, you'll be able to part with your money:

VIN long WBA3K5C52EF776000
Type code 3K5C
Type 328XD (USA)
Dev. series F31 ()
Line 3
Body type TOUR
Steering LL
Door count 5
Engine N47T
Cubical capacity 2.00
Power 135
Transmision ALLR
Gearbox AUT
Colour GLACIERSILBER METALLIC (A83)
Upholstery SENSATEC 1/DF VENETOBEIGE (KCDF)
Prod. date 2012-11-09

(This is a preproduction test vehicle, but why would they build it if they had no plans to bring them here?)
martinBoston commented:
January 30, 2013, 8:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
Most likely, you'll be able to part with your money:

VIN long WBA3K5C52EF776000
Type code 3K5C
Type 328XD (USA)
Dev. series F31 ()
Line 3
Body type TOUR
Steering LL
Door count 5
Engine N47T
Cubical capacity 2.00
Power 135
Transmision ALLR
Gearbox AUT
Colour GLACIERSILBER METALLIC (A83)
Upholstery SENSATEC 1/DF VENETOBEIGE (KCDF)
Prod. date 2012-11-09

(This is a preproduction test vehicle, but why would they build it if they had no plans to bring them here?)
Very interesting! I have been trying to decide between the Allroad and the BMW 3 wagon. Well, Diesel + AWD would definitely be a huge plus for me and ease my decision. It looks like I will part with my money as well.
m8o commented:
January 30, 2013, 11:04 pm

RE: those specs that ynguldyn shared...

Is anyone else having trouble believing BMW would sell a F31 in the USofA with a mere 135hp?

edit: or do you suppose that's 135 kW which is 184 bhp? (thanx wikipedia) ....That's more believable to me.
TMQ commented:
February 2, 2013, 3:02 am

Those who purchase an E91 RWD with 6mt did the right thing.
AGF31 commented:
February 4, 2013, 9:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinBoston View Post
F31 328i xDrive Sports Wagon Pricing: Starting at $42,345

Wagon fans out there! I visited the New England Auto Show in Boston this week. On displayed (but door locked ) was a beautiful red BMW 328i xDrive Sports Wagon with sport line trim. The pricing was displayed next to the car. I have not been able to find the pricing anywhere else.

MSRP $42,345 $ including destination. All the options, including the sport trim (2,600) are extra. See attached picture for details.

BMW F31 3 Series Sport Wagon Line Pricing
  • Luxury Line (ZLL) - $2300
  • Modern Line (ZML) - $2300
  • M Sport Line (ZMM) - $3950
  • Sport Line (ZSL) - $2600

BMW F31 3 Series Sport Wagon Option Pricing
  • Cold weather package (ZCW) - $950
  • Driver assistance package (ZDA) - $1900
  • Driver assistance plus (ZDB) - $700
  • Dynamic handling package (ZDH) - $1000
  • Lighting package (ZLP) - $900
  • Premium package (ZPP) - $2200
  • Roof rails black - $100
  • Sport automatic transmission with paddle shifters - $500
  • Anti-theft alarm system - $400
  • Rear view camera - $400 - included with ZDA
  • Rear manual side window shades - $250
  • Heated front seats - $500 - included with ZCW
  • Park distance control - $750 - included with ZDA
  • Automatic high beams - $250
  • Active cruise control with Stop&Go $2400
  • Navigation system with voice command and BMW Apps - $2150 - included with ZTP
  • Harmon Kardon surround sound system - $875
  • Burl Walnut trim - $500 - included with ZMM
  • Dakota Leather upholstery - $1450
  • Metalic paint - $550

F31 with M-Sport + Climate and a few other option puts it around 50K easily. Thats a lot money for a 4 cylinder car!

Whats interesting is the automatic is listed as an option but the F31 is supposed to be only an auto in the US .... so does the base price (~$42+K) include the auto or not?

Also the Stop & Go is an $2400 option? Is this how it comes on the F30? Doesn't that mean two types of engines? I thought there was "massive" costs in certifying each version of an engine?

Any ideas on when we can learn which options are included in each group/package? hopefully some of the option i want are covered in the packages I want.

How much is the discount on ED?

Looks like Im waiting for the M235i - i know its not the same type of car, but for me its about value and not hitting some price point
Eric Genname commented:
February 4, 2013, 10:32 pm

Did you notice if it had a sunroof standard? Xenon headlights?

That price is a bit over $2k more than the xDrive sedan, right? Does that seem out of line to you?
dorkus commented:
February 9, 2013, 1:24 pm

Quote:
Did you notice if it had a sunroof standard? Xenon headlights?

That price is a bit over $2k more than the xDrive sedan, right? Does that seem out of line to you?
+1, the price premium seems about right considering the added feature content.

the main problems are that the F3x is overpriced to begin with, and that the F31 is only offered in xDrive here. i was keeping my fingers crossed for a RWD diesel touring, so 1 out of 2 is better than nothing... but i think given the choice of RWD or diesel, i would have taken RWD. sigh...
renaultf1 commented:
February 11, 2013, 12:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjhwilkes View Post
I agree the option pricing is wrong. BMW have tended to option the wagon higher by default, justifying the higher starting price, but then lowering some of the options packages. I'd be stunned if Xenon's, sunroof etc. aren't standard as before.
Still sad about all the 'line' business and the lack of M/T. A used E91 or even E61 still seems like my best option much as I'd love to do an ED again, I may be able to find a M/T and the savings will be more than enough for a fancy European vacation.
Since I ordered a 6MT e91 in the fall of 2010, I think this info needs to be clarified a bit. Sunroof was standard, but xenons weren't standard in 2011. At a time in the fall of 2010 they offered a free value package upgrade (which I think if I remember, got a leather interior and power seats). Premium package, Sport package etc were still cost items. Xenons could be ordered a la carte. If I remember correctly there wasn't much difference between included options on the sedan and the touring - there was always an "wagon premium" even back on the e91...and that certainly wasn't because it was optioned better.
ktula commented:
February 12, 2013, 1:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake P View Post
Although it's always welcoming to see new F31 info, I'm not sure how accurate it is. That option pricing appears to be a copy/paste from the F30 for the most part, which is inconsistent with previous information released saying the F31 would have more standard equipment than the F30. Even this page on the BMW USA site indicates adaptive xenon headlights and LED tails are standard: http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...FVCVDetailId=2
I guess we'll find out soon enough...
Even BMW's Press Release on the 3-series Sports Wagon is having conflicting information on Xenon adaptive headlight:

http://cache.bmwusa.com/Pdf_f8bb0f43...f8f520005.arox

"LED accent lights positioned like eyebrows above the traditional four round headlights with corona rings (if Adaptive Xenon headlights are specified) lend an extra intensity to the classic BMW focused look."
CliffJumper commented:
February 12, 2013, 10:14 am

If they offered the 35i engine, I'd strongly consider trading in my M3 for it. And, as much as it pains me, I'd even be willing to lose my M/T (it gets tiring not being able to have my wife drive my car ). But, going from the V8 to the I4T is a bit too much of a drop for me.
Niitti commented:
February 18, 2013, 5:20 pm

Hi Guys,

Bmw 328i xDriveTouring (F31) starting price here in Finland is about 57 000 EUR (around 75 000 USD) with taxes. 1 litre (0,265 gallon) of normal petrol cost here today 1,619 EUR (or 2,16 USD). Having a car and driving with it is very cheap here!
katfish1121 commented:
March 16, 2013, 10:59 pm

Too pricey new for me, but once they are on the used market, I will be checking it out. Depends on how the engine holds up. One of our vehicles is a 2005 Vibe that I enjoy for every day. This could be its replacement some year.