BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

The Real 3 Series Killer - The Mercedes Benz CLA

53K views 183 replies 60 participants last post by  IndyMike 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I think it's FWD and the looks are very front heavy and awkward from some angles.

No matter, at that price point it should sell well. The cheap c230 bombed here a decade ago, this being a sedan should help.

#3 ·
Great comercial! Not a bad looking car IMO.

#9 ·
What car? :dunno:

#6 ·
Cool looking car IMO. But they would have done themselves a favor by getting a girl who had some nice looking legs. When the commercial started and they panned the camera from down to up, I got the feeling it was gona be some kinda joke or comedy-that chix legs are unsexy. IMO.

#66 · (Edited)
That might be true with a small number of drivers. However, lots of people buy BMW because they think it's a "good German car" and don't know very much about cars. Go to Los Angeles where there are lots of BMW and interview drivers as they get out of their cars. Most will not know much about cars, FWD, tires, etc.

The CLA is made in Hungary. U.S. 3 series are made in Germany and South Africa. Some are made in India but those are not imported to the U.S., at least not now.

I think it's good if Mercedes and other companies build cars almost as good or better than BMW. That keeps BMW on its toes. If not, then BMW would charge $75,000 for a 3 series. Don't laugh, they cost more than that in Singapore and Norway, though it's because of taxes.

#15 ·
Great looking car. Too small for me, but if they start this under 30k it will squeeze the VW Jetta and become the new top selling entry level German car. The looks are just perfect. I think this looks better than the CLS and the smaller body works better on this design IMHO.

#31 ·
I think BMW should get Kate in its commercial so people here don't drool over the CLA. The question is,what BMW version can get Kate excited and rub against it? The F30 maybe too boring to think she would do it.
it will be my BMW and will be me as driver when Kate gets excited

#32 ·
VW copied the MB CLS when designing the CC. Now MB copied back to come up with the FWD CLA. This car may not be in the same class as the 3 in terms of traditional classification, but it should have high appeal among the younger crowd and it will take away some sales from the 3, but also some from the C class.

#35 ·
I like the new grill on the CLA... like the dotted pattern.

The CLA is a new class of stylish entry level premium cars.

Audi A3 concept:

BMW 2 Series Grand Coupe Concept artist rendering - if it looks this good, I don't know who would actually buy an F30. Keep in mind that it is only a rendering and it can turn out to be a miniature 3 series GT.

or the 1 series

#37 ·
^^ IS is not in the same class. That's an F30, C, and A4 competitor. The 2 series grand coupe is just an artist rendering and no camo 2 series grand coupe has been seen. So it's just speculation of what a BMW fan wish it was like.

#39 ·
I don't think the 2 series grancoupe will compete necessarily well. I'd personally live it because its rwd. But the a3 and cla by nature of being fwd will have much more interior space.

I'd figure most regular people will go for it. Which is another reason the 320i is here now. The car may be larger outside but it probably has similar interior space to a3 and cla. Most car buyers have no idea what rwd matters for and probably some even prefer fwd especially in snow States. Everyone can compare interior space. So the 320i really is also an a3 / cla alternative.

No one said there has to be an exact comparable car to a competitor. If you compete by overlap then so be it. BMW might be right here or its a stopgap until they can bring something else out

#68 ·
For people who do not like the look of the CLA, I wonder if their ages play a part. If a middle aged person says he does not like the look of the CLA, MB probably will thank him, because it is clear to me the CLA is aimed at younger crowds, such as those who just graduated from a econo beater with a large muffler, and now have a decent job and is growing up.

#176 ·
Very strong comments considering that most likely you have not seen the car in person much less driven it.

From my perspective there is nothing timeless about the 3 series - it looks way too common and follows the design language of our times. When this language changes as it does every so often it will look old.

The CLA on the other hand is introducing another segment like the CLS did, no matter if you like this new segment or not. It is following a design language that deviates from the norm of our times. Isn't this the actual definition of timeless? Independent of time?
I like the look of the CLA but contrary to your point about BMW, the F30 will be like nearly every 3 series and look good for a long time. Look at the E46 which has been out of production for about 8 years. It still looks very handsome. I expect the E90 to be the same. I am looking at mine right now outside my window at work and while it's not a beautiful design, it's simple and is perfectly proportioned. The F30 is the same just slightly more modern looking. You can go back to the 2002 from the early 1970's. It would never pass today's rollover standards but it's still a great looking car. The only recent BMW that may not age well is the 1 series.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.