What does perfection look like? BMW Quality Control

by Lisa DePaolo on January 29, 2013, 5:12 pm

It looks like the product of depth and precision from both man and machine with the BMW Quality Management. You think you're detail-oriented? Well when you're finished straightening your tie, check out the attention that each and every nut and bolt of every BMW manufactured receives throughout the assembly lines. You're going to want to floss after. Maybe iron the curtains too. Just trust me.

Leave a Comment

You must be a registered member to comment on stories. Please take a moment to register for your free account now. If you already have an account, log in using fields below.

96 responses to What does perfection look like? BMW Quality Control

enigma commented:
January 29, 2013, 5:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa@Bimmerfest View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiuaF...em-uploademail

It looks like the product of depth and precision from both man and machine with the BMW Quality Management. You think you're detail-oriented? Well when you're finished straightening your tie, check out the attention that each and every nut and bolt of every BMW manufactured receives throughout the assembly lines. You're going to want to floss after. Maybe iron the curtains too. Just trust me.
With all due respect, this is more of a marketing tool than anything else.

I like my BMWs for its driving dynamics, but quality control has never been its strong suit. When we are told orange peel effect on the paint job is "normal", it undoes its marketing words like "perfection".
captainaudio commented:
January 29, 2013, 8:40 pm

And if you believe that you may be interested in a bridge that I have for sale.

SilverX3 commented:
January 29, 2013, 8:42 pm

cars still rattle, play up after warranty, faults now and then

so perfection is a myth
justinnum1 commented:
January 29, 2013, 9:06 pm

^lmao
captainaudio commented:
January 29, 2013, 9:34 pm

I have two BMWs and don't really have issues with the build quality but it is no better than many other cars I have owned. The most solid feeling car I ever owned was my 1992 Lexus SC300. That car felt like it was carved out of a solid block of steel. Closing the hood felt like you were closing the door of a vault. The worst build quality was my 1969 Firebird 400. I remember a commercial a few years back where they put a Lexus on a giant rotisserie like device and ran a ball bearing around the door to show how consistent the width of the door seams was. My Firebird not only would have failed the ball bearing test it would have failed a bowling ball test. Since the Firebird days I had a Honda Accord and an Acura Integra (both very good build quality) several Jaguars (most recently an XKR - very good build quality and fit and finish and extremely high quality material in the interior) the Lexus. I now have a 335i and a 750Li. Both are solid well built cars but far from "perfection". I have to give credit where credit is due and the 335i Cabrio has remained rattle free in spite of the punishment it took on NYC roads while it was equipped with OEM shock absorbers and RFTs.

CA
3ismagic# commented:
January 29, 2013, 10:44 pm

After a year and a half my car is still tighter than a nun's behind.
captainaudio commented:
January 30, 2013, 12:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ismagic# View Post
My 335i is at 6 years and 45,000 miles and is still rattle free, which is more that I can say about it when it was new. It had an annoying dash rattle when it was new that drove me crazy. I read somewhere that if something gets into the air vents under the front seats you will hear the rattle coming out of the dashboard vents. I vacuumed the vents under the seats and the rattle went away. There is very little tire noise with the Conti DWS tires and very little wind noise which I attribute to the lack of B pillars on the cabrio. It does not have the bank vault feel that my Lexus Coupe had (but from what I have heard the new Lexus models don't have that quality anymore) but the car is very solid after getting beat up on NYC roads for 6 years. The 750 is only a bit over 2 years old but that car (RFTs and all) is completely oblivious to NYC potholes when it is in Comfort Plus mode. In Sport Plus modes the shifts become more agressive, the steering tightens up and I swear to God the car becomes 18" shorter and 500 pounds lighter.

CA
SilverX3 commented:
January 30, 2013, 3:36 am

Perfection

or this

or this

woodswatchco commented:
January 30, 2013, 7:22 am

For the sake of honesty, I should probably mention that my new estoril blue M sport 328i from S. Africa has a 2" paint run on the trunk lid. It's above the license plate. I guess their perfection crew missed that. Body panel fit is ok. Not great. I agree another poster. Driving dynamics is why to buy a BMW. If you want perfection, look at Lexus, Acura, Audi, and maybe Porsche? Ofcourse all of those brands except Porsche and maybe the S series Audi's represent boring to me.
chris328 commented:
January 30, 2013, 9:41 am

BMW paint is by far the worst
chiba commented:
January 30, 2013, 10:04 am

Quote:
Depending on this nun's diet, bowel movements, and even love life, this could go both ways.

My car came with a weird unfinished part around the window (weather stripping?). The service manager is supposedly ordering a new part to replace it. Other than that, she's as solid as a nun's behind!

Making 1000 cars a day is amazing considering how much is involved.
boramkiv commented:
January 30, 2013, 10:57 am

Indeed perfection is not the word to use, but In my eyes it looks to have gotten better than before. Is the quality they're talking about the way the car is sitting on the lot, or perhaps 1 to 2 years down the road? I agree Lexus overall quality is better for a longer time. My X5 is peeling and separating itself on purpose. It's holding up pretty good for an 11 year old though. My E60 is doing much better and looks like it would last much longer. So it looks to be getting better over the years, but perfection is far away because even Lexus wouldn't admit they're perfect.
spicytofu commented:
January 30, 2013, 11:10 am

im pretty sure my car did not come off that production line....would be nice if it did
Mark K commented:
January 30, 2013, 3:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
And if you believe that you may be interested in a bridge that I have for sale.

I'll second that with the template/original of that beautiful bridge.

Attachment 359874
chiba commented:
January 30, 2013, 3:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverX3 View Post
Perfection

or this

or this

Nice Brequet, how about this

or this?

or this

or this

MML007 commented:
January 30, 2013, 5:26 pm

+1 for the PO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiba View Post

or this?

or this

or this

enigma commented:
January 31, 2013, 4:32 pm

How this turn into a watch thread?

BTW, that gold Rolex is hideous.
408Racer commented:
January 31, 2013, 4:43 pm

Quote:
Perfection

SilverX3 commented:
January 31, 2013, 8:58 pm

Perfection = Rolex Submariner on an M3 steering driven by ME :=)
boltjaM3s commented:
January 31, 2013, 9:14 pm

Quote:
Perfection = Rolex Submariner on an M3 steering driven by ME :=)

I prefer a 1964 Omega Speedmaster pre-moon pre-pro in the foyer of my McMansion, but that's just me.

BJ
Ripred commented:
January 31, 2013, 9:57 pm

Girls, girls, you're getting offtopic again with all your reduntant jewelry chitchat
SilverX3 commented:
January 31, 2013, 10:05 pm

better than chit chat with an ATS owner !!!!
chiba commented:
January 31, 2013, 10:31 pm

Nice Speedy!

Timeless design hasn't changed that much over the years

Perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post

I prefer a 1964 Omega Speedmaster pre-moon pre-pro in the foyer of my McMansion, but that's just me.

BJ
boltjaM3s commented:
January 31, 2013, 10:51 pm

Quote:
Nice Speedy!

Timeless design hasn't changed that much over the years

Perfection

Thanks. My other Speedmaster is the '57 Replica, limited edition which looks good on a strap or a bracelet. And, of course, no collection is complete without the Rolex Sub Date.

BJ
chiba commented:
January 31, 2013, 11:23 pm

Can't argue with that. The Speedy and the Sub are the most universally iconic watches and should be in every enthusiast's collection. Nice Broad arrow too!

Quote:

Thanks. My other Speedmaster is the '57 Replica, limited edition which looks good on a strap or a bracelet. And, of course, no collection is complete without the Rolex Sub Date.

BJ
SilverX3 commented:
February 1, 2013, 1:10 am

for me this is perfection

very good value for money and very good looking

tturedraider commented:
February 1, 2013, 1:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripred View Post
Girls, girls, you're getting offtopic again with all your reduntant jewelry chitchat
Apparently this is the male version of "diamonds are a girl's best friend."
SilverX3 commented:
February 1, 2013, 3:05 am

"swiss watches are men's best friend"
enigma commented:
February 1, 2013, 4:01 am

Quote:
"swiss watches are men's best friend"
This is a BMW forum. I thought German cars were men's best friend.
3284me commented:
February 1, 2013, 5:20 am

Where's the watch quality control video.
SilverX3 commented:
February 1, 2013, 3:37 pm

there is a strong correlation between Men driving German Cars and Desiring for (high end) Swiss watches

proof : just buy a Euro car magazines like Autocar, Evo and see which watch brands advertised in there

we call thme "being BRAND washed" ... and I am a victim
bmw_or_audi commented:
February 1, 2013, 4:28 pm

Quote:
That's not necessarily a good metric
bmw_or_audi commented:
February 1, 2013, 4:31 pm

Quote:

or this ...
The Rolex looks like an overpriced Timex. Now the Omega is a different story
bmw_or_audi commented:
February 1, 2013, 4:33 pm

Quote:
there is a strong correlation between Men driving German Cars and Desiring for (high end) Swiss watches

proof : just buy a Euro car magazines like Autocar, Evo and see which watch brands advertised in there

we call thme "being BRAND washed" ... and I am a victim
Or in dire need of compensation for lots of things
beden1 commented:
February 1, 2013, 4:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_or_audi View Post
The Japanese and Chinese make digital watches for people like you.
bmw_or_audi commented:
February 1, 2013, 4:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
The Japanese and Chinese make digital watches for people like you.
Say what you like, but I don't like this:

But I do like this one:

And I wore my fathers for a very long time, that kind of looked like this one, but with a SS strap and without the yellowed dial.

I just don't like these colorful and funky chrono dials.
beden1 commented:
February 1, 2013, 4:56 pm

Quote:
Say what you like, but I don't like this:

But I do like this one:

And I wore my fathers for a very long time, that kind of looked like this one, but with a SS strap and without the yellowed dial.

I just don't like these colorful and funky chrono dials.
Omegas are great watches for those who can't afford a Rolex. I have the new version of the Rolex Submariner pictured, along with a Patek Philippe Annual Calendar, and a limited edition Girard Perregaux Chronometer Vintage 1960. I used to have an Omega Seamaster GMT before I traded it off as I found it to be too pedestrian. I gave my Rolex Yacht Master to my son when he graduated from college. Along with trading the Omega, I sold 2 other Rolex watches including a GMT Master. I figured it was time to thin the herd a bit.
captainaudio commented:
February 1, 2013, 5:41 pm

Quote:
Omegas are great watches for those who can't afford a Rolex. I have the new version of the Rolex Submariner pictured, along with a Patek Philippe Annual Calendar, and a limited edition Girard Perregaux Chronometer 1960. I used to have an Omega Seamaster GMT before I traded it off as I found it to be too pedestrian. I gave my Rolex Yacht Master to my son when he graduated from college. Along with trading the Omega, I sold 2 other Rolex watches including a GMT Master. I figured it was time to thin the herd a bit.
Girard Perrgaux are not that common.

I have a 1941 Girard Perregaux that my mother gave to my father as a first wedding anniversary gift. I don't think it is worth a lot but it has great sentimental value. I also have a Girard Perregaux Vintage 1945 (which is a modern watch in spite of the name) in my collection.

A few years ago I was at a dinner and people were comparing watches. There were several with Rolexes. One of the guys had gotten his Daytona by winning the Rolex Daytona 24 Hour so he won the status contest.

CA
chiba commented:
February 1, 2013, 6:23 pm

Quote:
That's because you have probably seen something like this.

The sub is the single most copied and counterfeited watch out there for good reason. They didn't appeal to me much until I tried one on.

Definitely one of my favourites!
beden1 commented:
February 1, 2013, 8:23 pm

Quote:
Girard Perrgaux are not that common.

I have a 1941 Girard Perregaux that my mother gave to my father as a first wedding anniversary gift. I don't think it is worth a lot but it has great sentimental value. I also have a Girard Perregaux Vintage 1945 (which is a modern watch in spite of the name) in my collection.

A few years ago I was at a dinner and people were comparing watches. There were several with Rolexes. One of the guys had gotten his Daytona by winning the Rolex Daytona 24 Hour so he won the status contest.

CA
I forgot to include the Vintage - it's a GP Vintage 1960. There were only about 24 of them sold in the US. It was the Watch of the Year in Japan around 1999-2000, and where the remaining 1,936 watches were sold (including in Europe).

Girard Perregaux Vintage 1960

Patek Philippe Annual Calendar

That would be so cool to win the Rolex Daytona 24 and be presented a watch to remember it by.
beden1 commented:
February 1, 2013, 8:24 pm

Quote:
That's because you have probably seen something like this.

The sub is the single most copied and counterfeited watch out there for good reason. They didn't appeal to me much until I tried one on.

It's a great everyday watch that can take it.
SilverX3 commented:
February 1, 2013, 9:55 pm

submariner is most popular and best looking Rolex
boltjaM3s commented:
February 1, 2013, 10:02 pm

Quote:
submariner is most popular and best looking Rolex

And for good reason. It's the rare watch that is sporty enough for the beach yet dressy enough for the boardroom.

It's the F30 of wristwatches. Natch.

BJ
boltjaM3s commented:
February 1, 2013, 10:08 pm

Quote:

First off, great photography chiba. Well done.

My Rolex Datejust Turnograph is my change-of-pace watch. White dial, red accents, jubilee bracelet, it's for when I'm at a black-tie event, want to dress it up a bit. One of these and a Sub Date and it covers about 90% of all occasions.

BJ
MML007 commented:
February 1, 2013, 10:12 pm

Say what you will about Omega's, 'for people who can't afford a Rolex', 'too pedestrian' etc. but I'm a loyal Omega-man.
Though, Rolex Sub is one fine time-piece. If I were to buy a Rolex, it'd be that one. May be down the road, I'm just 26 now. Got to climb up that watch-collection ladder...

boltjaM3s commented:
February 1, 2013, 10:19 pm

Quote:
Can't argue with that. The Speedy and the Sub are the most universally iconic watches and should be in every enthusiast's collection. Nice Broad arrow too!
Thanks.

That's the precursor to the Broad Arrow series, the 1957 Speedmaster 50th Anniversary edition of the 2915 released in 2007. Reaction to the watch was mixed (thus its scarcity and collectibility) but Omega took those distinctive arrow hands and made an entire line around them.

BJ
captainaudio commented:
February 1, 2013, 10:47 pm

For a while I was into thin watches and got this Movado and this Concord Delirium. I have another Delirium in White Gold with a leather band.

And a Patek Philippe Calatrava

captainaudio commented:
February 1, 2013, 11:06 pm

Quote:
I forgot to include the Vintage - it's a GP Vintage 1960. There were only about 24 of them sold in the US. It was the Watch of the Year in Japan around 1999-2000, and where the remaining 1,936 watches were sold (including in Europe).

Girard Perregaux Vintage 1960
The old GP and the new GP

CA
boltjaM3s commented:
February 1, 2013, 11:44 pm

Quote:

CA
Very nice.

BJ
chiba commented:
February 1, 2013, 11:47 pm

Quote:

First off, great photography chiba. Well done.

My Rolex Datejust Turnograph is my change-of-pace watch. White dial, red accents, jubilee bracelet, it's for when I'm at a black-tie event, want to dress it up a bit. One of these and a Sub Date and it covers about 90% of all occasions.

BJ

Thanks BJ,

That Turnograph is amazing. I have always been a fan of the fluted bezel but have never seen a Datejust with a red second hand. It's a perfect dress watch!
chiba commented:
February 1, 2013, 11:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MML007 View Post
Say what you will about Omega's, 'for people who can't afford a Rolex', 'too pedestrian' etc. but I'm a loyal Omega-man.
Though, Rolex Sub is one fine time-piece. If I were to buy a Rolex, it'd be that one. May be down the road, I'm just 26 now. Got to climb up that watch-collection ladder...

Nice PO's MML,
Aside from Bedden, I dont really hear anyone saying that about Omega. Especially now that the price gap is beginning to narrow. Most people I know who collect, own or at least respect both brands.

Looking at your choices in those snaps, a DSSD would probably be your next step.

Chiba
beden1 commented:
February 1, 2013, 11:57 pm

Quote:

Very nice watches. I actually sold my Omega because the bracelet never felt comfortable on my wrist. I tried it with a leather band and it didn't look right to me. I really liked the quality of the watch, however.

My first Rolex was a gold/stainless GMT Master that I bought for around $1,900 back in 1982. I sold it last year for $4,350. Now, a new stainless Submariner is just under $8,000. Watches have become too expensive to make sense anymore. The days look long gone where you could wear a Rolex for 30 years and make money, even considering inflation.
boltjaM3s commented:
February 2, 2013, 12:00 am

Quote:
Thanks BJ,

That Turnograph is amazing. I have always been a fan of the fluted bezel but have never seen a Datejust with a red second hand. It's a perfect dress watch!

Thanks.

I bought it spur-of-the-moment at Ceasar's in Vegas if you can believe it, quite the impulse buy. Turned out to be a great decision as the watch only lasted 2-3 years and is highly sought after these days. I sold my Explorer 1 (too close to the Submariner) when I got back home and that was that. Most people don't realize that Rolexes appreciate in value over time, you can buy/sell them repetitively and get into better models at no charge, it's like leasing them.

Next on my list: The Milgauss. Or, may track down the black-dial Turnograph.

BJ
beden1 commented:
February 2, 2013, 12:07 am

Quote:

CA
Old school. I really like the vintage styled watches for a change of pace. GP, particularly when they were independent and manufactured everything in-house, was one of the most under valued watches, IMO.
beden1 commented:
February 2, 2013, 12:17 am

Quote:
Nice PO's MML,
Aside from Bedden, I dont really hear anyone saying that about Omega. Especially now that the price gap is beginning to narrow. Most people I know who collect, own or at least respect both brands.

Looking at your choices in those snaps, a DSSD would probably be your next step.

Chiba
The problem I have with Omega is that most of their movements were primarily made by ETA. To me, if the watch is not designed and manufactured in-house, it's just jewelry. Rolex, Patek Philippe and Girard Perregaux are/were in-house manufacture watches.
captainaudio commented:
February 2, 2013, 12:19 am

I only have one Rolex, an Oyster Perpertual Day Date.

I stopped buying watches a number of years ago because I was rarely wearing many of them.

I did buy a watch last November. We were in Boca Raton and the only watch I had with me, the Girard Perregaux Vintage 1945, stopped working. I went to the Movado Outet in Sawgrass Mills becuase I had a $50 coupon. I asked them for the cheapest watch in the store which was an ESQ that was on sale for $95. I gave them the coupon and $45 and I had a working watch for the remainder of my stay. When I got back to NYC I had the GP repaired for $275 and it is working fine again.

CA
chiba commented:
February 2, 2013, 12:25 am

You should check this one out when it gets released..

Simillar to the milgauss as far as anti magnetic properties.
Not everyones cup of tea but I like it..

Quote:

Thanks.

I bought it spur-of-the-moment at Ceasar's in Vegas if you can believe it, quite the impulse buy. Turned out to be a great decision as the watch only lasted 2-3 years and is highly sought after these days. I sold my Explorer 1 (too close to the Submariner) when I got back home and that was that. Most people don't realize that Rolexes appreciate in value over time, you can buy/sell them repetitively and get into better models at no charge, it's like leasing them.

Next on my list: The Milgauss. Or, may track down the black-dial Turnograph.

BJ
captainaudio commented:
February 2, 2013, 12:28 am

If I was going to spend stupid money on a watch I would get a Roger Debuis.
But I don't see that happening in this lifetime.

Skeleton Watches are fascinating but I would not necessarily want to wear one.

Roger Dubuis Excalibur Double Flying Tourbillon Rose Gold Watch

*******> ********>*******>********>*******>********>*******>********>*******>********>
Brand: Roger DubuisDial Color: Skeleton
Series: ExcaliburBracelet/Strap: Alligator
Model Number: EX45-01SQ-50-00-SE000-B1Clasp Type: Folding
Size: - Power Reserve: 48 hours
Case Material: 18kt Pink GoldWater Resistance: 50 meters/165
Case Dimensions: 45mm diameterWarranty: The Finest Watches Two-Year Warranty
Case Thickness: N/ALimited Edition: 28 pieces
Crystal: - Special Features: Double Tourbillon

Retail Price: $250,000.00
Condition: Unused with Roger Dubuis Box
Availability: Contact Us $187,500.00
You save 25% ($62,500.00)
chiba commented:
February 2, 2013, 12:28 am

Quote:
The problem I have with Omega is that most of their movements were primarily made by ETA. To me, if the watch is not designed and manufactured in-house, it's just jewelry. Rolex, Patek Philippe and Girard Perregaux are/were in-house manufacture watches.
That used to be the case but not any more.

Take my Aqua terra for instance

It's 8500 movement is entirely in house. Everything they are releasing now is as well.

As I said before, their moving up market..
beden1 commented:
February 2, 2013, 12:36 am

I bought this watch last year at Tourneau in the Gardens Mall in Palm Beach Gardens. I wanted something to wear while fishing and what not. It's the most comfortable watch that I have. It does have an automatic ETA movement.

SSwiss Army Dive Master 500 Automatic - Gunmetal PVD - Black Face - Rubber

boltjaM3s commented:
February 2, 2013, 12:48 am

Quote:
I only have one Rolex, an Oyster Perpertual Day Date.

CA

My only gold watch is a 1957 Oyster Perpetual Day Date with the Eisenhower era arrowhead markers. I rarely wear it, just not my style right now, but its nice to look at every once in awhile.

The men's small (or boys) watch is my wife's. Bought it for our 10 year anniversary, closest match to the Turnograph, sort of a his-and-hers kind of thing. The ladies Rolex is a very dainty watch; the larger size really looks much better.

BJ
beden1 commented:
February 2, 2013, 12:54 am

Quote:
If I was going to spend stupid money on a watch I would get a Roger Debuis.
But I don't see that happening in this lifetime.

Roger Dubuis Excalibur Double Flying Tourbillon Rose Gold Watch
Roger Dubuis started out with some elegant watches and then he kinda got insane with some of his designs.

One watch that I keep my eye on is by Ulysse Nardin, the San Marco Jacquemarts Minute Repeater Manual Yellow Gold. They were a limited edition that sold out a number of years ago. I have found a couple of used ones, but they wanted more than I was willing to pay. The sound of the bell when striking is spectacular, IMO.

MML007 commented:
February 2, 2013, 1:04 am

Quote:
True!
The 2 PO's that I have, one is a 2500 cal. an ETA movement and the other is a 8500 cal. which is designed by Omega.
SilverX3 commented:
February 2, 2013, 1:09 am

coaxial only designed for omega (by eta)
captainaudio commented:
February 2, 2013, 1:10 am

Quote:
Roger Dubuis started out with some elegant watches and then he kinda got insane with some of his designs.

I like some of his designs but I agree some of them are over the top.
beden1 commented:
February 2, 2013, 1:11 am

Quote:
True!
The 2 PO's that I have, one is a 2500 cal. an ETA movement and the other is a 8500 cal. which is designed by Omega.
Their Co-Axial movement was designed and is manufactured in-house, but I have not kept up with watches enough during the last few years to know what else they have done. Omega used to be top shelf up until the digital watches hit the market back in the 1970s. They had financial difficulties for a number of years and went to outside suppliers for their movements and other parts. Later, the internet discounters hurt their image further. I think James Bond brought life back to the company.
MML007 commented:
February 2, 2013, 1:11 am

Quote:
Nice PO's MML,

Chiba
Thanks!

A DSSD has too much information imprinted on the dial. I'd get tired about it.
beden1 commented:
February 2, 2013, 1:13 am

Quote:
I like some of his designs but I agree some of them are over the top.
Like This!

SilverX3 commented:
February 2, 2013, 1:15 am

This is another Perfection

bmw_or_audi commented:
February 2, 2013, 1:15 am

Please stop this! My only trinket collection vice has been with fountain pens. My collection is quite small and I put a stop to it a couple of years ago. I don't need to get into watches

BJ, that Milgauss is fascinating. It is way-out-there funky, yet it has a restrained classical elegance to it.

Chiba, that last Omega is just beautiful.

I am more a fan of simpler clean and fluid designs, usually SS and often just a white dial (with few exceptions). So even a simple Swiss Army Alliance or a Tissot would completely satisfy me. So based on that, the Dubuis (DuCon?) would make me want to And yeah, I don't care if people are willing to pay 100+K for it
bmw_or_audi commented:
February 2, 2013, 1:16 am

So are these the Lamborginis of the watch world?

Quote:
Like This!

captainaudio commented:
February 2, 2013, 1:20 am

Another of my favorites,

MML007 commented:
February 2, 2013, 1:21 am

Quote:
another of my favorites,

+1.
beden1 commented:
February 2, 2013, 1:22 am

Quote:
So are these the Lamborginis of the watch world?
I'm sure there are a few rappers out there with these encrusted with diamonds.
Coochie_Bandit commented:
February 2, 2013, 1:36 am

This thread has come along nicely.
captainaudio commented:
February 2, 2013, 1:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coochie_Bandit View Post
You're right.

Let's get back on track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNZCbgzpqbI
SilverX3 commented:
February 2, 2013, 5:55 am

Quote:
Please stop this! My only trinket collection vice has been with fountain pens. My collection is quite small and I put a stop to it a couple of years ago. I don't need to get into watches

BJ, that Milgauss is fascinating. It is way-out-there funky, yet it has a restrained classical elegance to it.

Chiba, that last Omega is just beautiful.

I am more a fan of simpler clean and fluid designs, usually SS and often just a white dial (with few exceptions). So even a simple Swiss Army Alliance or a Tissot would completely satisfy me. So based on that, the Dubuis (DuCon?) would make me want to And yeah, I don't care if people are willing to pay 100+K for it
Fountain pens.... Let's start another threads I ave bout 30 in my collections... Mont blanc, pelikan, Graf Von Faber castell, Visconti, caran d'ache etc...

German cars, Swiss watches, fountain pens.... They go together nicely

Anyone into fountain pens....
boltjaM3s commented:
February 2, 2013, 8:13 am

Quote:
You need to get into watches.

Just like a BMW, it tells the world you are special. Especially women. Chicks dig guys with money and a $9,000 watch is a great icebreaker.

The only people who know anything about the value of a fountain pen are dudes.

BJ
boltjaM3s commented:
February 2, 2013, 8:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coochie_Bandit View Post
With your userid, you'll understand this article:

MEET THE ROLEX ROMEO'S

"Now that we're emerging from the Great Recession - and financial-sector bonuses are returning - men are splurging on luxury watches, especially ones made of gold. Because that precious metal kept its value even while the economy wobbled, they believe a pricey watch isn't just a style statement, it's a sound investment. And an aphrodisiac.

"It sounds really shallow, but younger women really fall for all that stuff," says Wall Street trader Mike, 27, the owner of a dozen high-end watches priced between $3,000 and $12,000 each. He asked The Post not to publish his last name so that it wouldn't get him into trouble at work. A member of the sugar-daddy-dating-service seekingarrangement.com, which matches wealthy men with women who want to be "kept," Mike wears an $8,000 Rolex Submariner II to the office.

"A Maserati only goes as far as the parking lot, but a watch you have with you all the time."

Mike recalls a recent night out in Atlantic City when an admiring guest at the roulette table zeroed in on his bling: "I have a pretty small frame so, when I wear this watch, it takes up most of my arm," says the 5-foot-7 banker. "I hit a spin, and this woman said: 'Oh my gosh, that thing must be half your weight!'
"Then she was asking me what I did for a living, and where I was staying."
One thing led to another. "Let's just say it was a lucky night," he demurs.

Mike, who earned $400,000 last year, including a $120,000 bonus, even admits to driving his Lexus LS around the Jersey Shore in the summer, the windows rolled down and his wrist hanging out, on display."

http://m.nypost.com/p/entertainment/...WgeNnrUuzQslCJ

BJ
3ismagic# commented:
February 2, 2013, 8:36 am

Nothing says "d0uchebag" like a Rolex.
boltjaM3s commented:
February 2, 2013, 9:19 am

Quote:
....and an electric blue 335i says "classy gentleman"?

BJ
beden1 commented:
February 2, 2013, 10:29 am

Quote:
I was sitting in first class on a flight to Las Vegas last year to meet my wife for a long weekend as she was out there for a business convention. The other seats around me were occupied by guys in their late 20s to early 30s, and all wearing Rolex SS sport model watches. I really like watches, so I commented to the guy next to me that I liked his Submariner. I was wearing my Patek Phillippe, which he also noticed, and we started up a conversation about watches. Within minutes, the other guys surrounding us joined in on the conversation. It was a fun discussion.

These guys reminded me of me when I was their age. They were young, upwardly mobile executives who were driven and confident, who appreciated the finer things in life, and liked to wear something on their wrist that was a constant reminder to keep focused on the end game.
chiba commented:
February 2, 2013, 2:12 pm

Quote:
So where's yours?
MML007 commented:
February 2, 2013, 3:17 pm

Quote:
...who appreciated the finer things in life, and liked to wear something on their wrist that was a constant reminder to keep focused on the end game.
Exactly!

Makes an impression on others? Sure. But more importantly, it's an impression on one's self.
SilverX3 commented:
February 2, 2013, 3:18 pm

I like that
We are classy gentlemen just like Bond..... James Bond
jjcruiser commented:
February 2, 2013, 4:54 pm

I was talking to a woman at my son's classmate's birthday party. I said I liked her watch--that it was similar to an Esq I'd seen before because it was rectangular--and asked whether that was what it was.

"Ah, no, this is a Cartier."

Thenceforth I stopped trying to analyze or compliment people's watches.

Women's shoes, however...
pa50i commented:
February 7, 2013, 1:35 pm

That's pretty funny about the Cartier. Owned. LOL

What's the verdict from you guys on the Panerai Luminor 1950? I know a few guys that have them of late. How are those from the luxury watch aficionado perspective?
suneil commented:
February 7, 2013, 4:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa@Bimmerfest View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiuaF...em-uploademail

Lol rusty seat frames....
SilverX3 commented:
February 7, 2013, 4:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa50i View Post
That's pretty funny about the Cartier. Owned. LOL

What's the verdict from you guys on the Panerai Luminor 1950? I know a few guys that have them of late. How are those from the luxury watch aficionado perspective?
I love panerai... only problem, I am asian with small wrist and Panerai watch is huge
408Racer commented:
February 7, 2013, 4:53 pm

Quote:
I love panerai... only problem, I am asian with small wrist and Panerai watch is huge
My gf is Asian with a small waist and loves my huge Pagani.
-=Hot|Ice=- commented:
February 7, 2013, 4:55 pm

It looks like this:

pa50i commented:
February 7, 2013, 5:12 pm

Did your watch come with the car?
http://www.pagani.com/it/news/2012/p...year_2012.aspx

Or did you mean Panerai?
pa50i commented:
February 7, 2013, 5:17 pm

As much as I love and respect the E92 M, the hood line around the kidneys bothers me. It always looks slightly misaligned compared to the E46 M integrated hood.
408Racer commented:
February 7, 2013, 5:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa50i View Post
Did your watch come with the car?
http://www.pagani.com/it/news/2012/p...year_2012.aspx

Or did you mean Panerai?
SilverX3 commented:
February 7, 2013, 6:39 pm

or Pain-in-arxe
everettpa1 commented:
February 8, 2013, 9:37 am