BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Availability of BMW diesels in US this year!

34K views 134 replies 33 participants last post by  d geek 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#5 ·
A 535dxdrive might just tempt me back into the diesel family. Time will tell.

#20 ·
Do you need directions to your closest VW dealership? That's what I did. Will be getting my new Golf TDI in June. Bye-bye BMW ... and happy profit hunting. While it lasts.

#9 ·
I am excited and quite frankly shocked to see that there will be a 328d xdrive. I may have to consider this vehicle even w/out a MT if the torque in the 4-cyl engine is sufficient to still give an exciting driving feel. I will also look at the 535d xdrive and X3d once it is available.

#21 ·
Now all the Jetta drivers who complained about the lack of a wagon will just complain about the cost. I can hear there blathering now. ......
Nope, I will buy it for 50k. With MT only, though.

#12 ·
Wasn't it the Passat drivers who complained about the lack of a diesel sportwagen? The Jetta folks have quite a nice little wagon, but it sadly is just too small for my needs. The Passat OTOH would fit the bill quite nicely -- since we are not allowed to get the Tig diesel or the Amarok trucklet!:tsk:

#23 ·
Bummed that it's not a 335d, but yeah a 4-cylinder 328d that will really put out some impressive mileage numbers makes a lot more sense I'm afraid. Glad to see you'll be able to get the 35d motor in the 5er though, that's pretty sweet. And they're continuing the X5d. Overall excellent news! :)

#26 ·
... Glad to see you'll be able to get the 35d motor in the 5er though, that's pretty sweet. And they're continuing the X5d. Overall excellent news! :)
I'm still puzzled by the '535d' nomenclature that they've chosen. The info 'leaked' last July puts the output of the 6 cyl d being brought over in the 5er right at the engine in the 530d (255 hp). I'm baffled why they would go down in power if it were actually the dual turbo set up in the euro 535d, which is now up to 316 hp.

The engine in the N American 2009-11 335d was 265hp while the Euro version was 286hp. Why would they go up in the Euro version of the new 535d and bring a weaker engine in the N American version? :dunno:

Personally I'd prefer the single turbo version used in the 530d. Great performance and fuel economy.

#24 ·
Will the 535d be offered in an Xdrive? With the sport package or M package and a manual tranny this would be a fantastic machine.

#31 ·
Mark, manual transmissions are not popular in the US and never will be, so unfortunately you are in the minority. My first car was a MT, the rest have been automatic and I've never looked back. Whenever I go back overseas and have to drive a manual, I curse the unnecessary complexity of changing gear, i.e. pushing down the clutch and and changing gear. Especially in stop-and-go traffic.

The one car where I think a MT is warranted is in a sporty gasoline powered car, where you get the most out of the engine by keeping the revs high. In a diesel engine, where the oomph is achieved at low rpms, an automatic is ideal. IMO.

#35 ·
Mark, manual transmissions are not popular in the US and never will be, so unfortunately you are in the minority. My first car was a MT, the rest have been automatic and I've never looked back. Whenever I go back overseas and have to drive a manual, I curse the unnecessary complexity of changing gear, i.e. pushing down the clutch and and changing gear. Especially in stop-and-go traffic.

The one car where I think a MT is warranted is in a sporty gasoline powered car, where you get the most out of the engine by keeping the revs high. In a diesel engine, where the oomph is achieved at low rpms, an automatic is ideal. IMO.
Yes one man's unnecessary complexity is another man's thrilling engagement between man and machine.

I don't begrudge your choice, just wish we had one to make.

#36 ·
Seems like bringing back an F40 335d to the US would pose the same problem for BMW: a car a bit too close to the M3 in performance at 2/3 the price and double the fuel economy. Europe is a different market for diesels and they are used to, perhaps, the distinction and having the very powerful diesels.

I'm not saying the two are equal by any means, but with the driving environment of North America and how most people use their cars (in traffic with an automatic transmission favoring low end torque, upcoming CAFE requirements, etc.) the idea of a much more fuel efficient diesel is perhaps a better marketing decision.

I for one love to have my cake and eat it too! And yes, I would favor a manual transmission: my experience is that the diesel's low end torque works just fine with it and is just as much fun.

PL

#38 ·
Seems like bringing back an F40 335d to the US would pose the same problem for BMW: a car a bit too close to the M3 in performance at 2/3 the price and double the fuel economy. Europe is a different market for diesels and they are used to, perhaps, the distinction and having the very powerful diesels.

I'm not saying the two are equal by any means, but with the driving environment of North America and how most people use their cars (in traffic with an automatic transmission favoring low end torque, upcoming CAFE requirements, etc.) the idea of a much more fuel efficient diesel is perhaps a better marketing decision.

I for one love to have my cake and eat it too! And yes, I would favor a manual transmission: my experience is that the diesel's low end torque works just fine with it and is just as much fun.

PL
Maybe they will IF the N55 gets bumped to 345 or so hp but that's awfully close to M3 territory.

Sent from my MB525 using Bimmer App

#44 ·
Blame the EPA and government red tape for making it extremely cost prohibitive to certify more than a few possible engine and transmission combos per car for sale here in the U.S. Compared to other manufacturers, BMW is already being extremely generous with what they're offering. Shame there's so much red tape, otherwise a lot more options could be offered like diesels and MTs as offered in Europe. BMW has to pick and choose what they know they can sell enough of to justify the significant cost of certifying a powertrain/drivertrain/tranny combo for sale here.

#45 ·
Since it's going to be a "328d" here and not a 320d, I wonder if that means we'll be getting the higher spec version of the 2.0L turbodiesel then? The Euro 325d makes 218PS and 450 Nm (332 lb-ft) and hits 0-62 in 6.8s. I know BMW's numbers are all screwy these days but "28d" does imply similar level of performance to other "28" products which are currently at 240hp. :dunno:

#56 ·
I truly get the argument that we should have the option of being able to choose a manual transmission or auto. My point was that because the manual people are in distinct minority (and that will not change in my life time), BMW has decided, for whatever reason, that it is not a good business decision to bring more manual trans cars over to US. I am sure a lot of people would be interested to know what those reasons are...

#57 ·
A lot of manufacturers and across many different types of vehicles are phasing out the manual transmissions. I used to always buy them not only because of the cost savings but also because the manual transmissions for me tend to out last the automatics by a long shot. Actually I can't recall ever having a manual transmission breaking, not even in the cars I raced.

I am not a huge fan of manuals in diesel vehicles due to the power bands but if I had a choice when buying then I'd get the MT over the AT assuming I did not have to pay more. I'd not do something so drastic though as buy a much lesser overall car simple to get an MT over getting an AT. When I got my truck I wanted to get an MT since they still did MT's in Ford Superduty trucks back then and the savings was many thousands of dollars but no one had one and they discounted things on the lot so much that it was cheaper to get an AT truck on the lot than order an MT truck.

#58 ·
Frankly speaking i dont miss the MT Im getting use to the modern AUTO, with the 02 MCS then that was different story MT all the way with the 11 335d I can honest say HELL NOO I'll stay with the AUTO

#63 ·
The Tiguan 2wd still comes with a stick as well. VW for some reason has always pushed sticks far more than the other marques. Some would say it was because they really didn't have a decent auto box -- but now of course they do yet they still provide sticks in their bread and butter offerings. No stick in the T-egg however!:angel:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.