BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Availability of BMW diesels in US this year!

34K views 134 replies 33 participants last post by  d geek 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#69 ·
#79 ·
they are saying it will be twin-turbo diesel I-6... interesting, maybe they will downgrade the Euro spec 535d?

"A 535d model will be the first U.S. model to make use of a new twin-turbo diesel I-6, expected to produce around 255 hp and 413 lb-ft."

#81 ·
I saw this same speculation in Automobile magazine. I just find it hard to believe they would de-tune the "twin-turbo" 3L diesel (I believe it is actually two different sized turbos as were in the previous 335d engine- not twins) to get the same power they are getting out of the TwinPower turbo (single turbo) that they put in the Euro 530d. :dunno:

#80 ·
I don't see a problem with this new engine as to its specs especially if:

1. It is more reliable i.e. the fuel pump pressure, DEF circuit etc. are tweaked to improve longevity and durability
2. It gets much better fuel economy than the older twin turbo 335d motor
3. It has the improved 8 speed automatic that may or may not be able to handle all that extra power but otherwise has better technology

A 535d would be a welcome addition if its steering wasn't numb and you could get the traditional handling that BMW seems to be dialing out of its newest models, at least with a sport package.

PL

#82 ·
well, i believe it will be a single turbo engine... but at the same time, they de-tuned M57 (bi-turbo) earlier and were offering adblue diesel only in single turbo diesel engine in Europe...

#83 ·
... they de-tuned M57 (bi-turbo) earlier and were offering adblue diesel only in single turbo diesel engine in Europe...
When they de-tuned the 335d (265 hp) for US market the torque stayed the same as the Euro 335d which had 286 hp.

The Euro 535d now puts out 313 hp and 465 lb-ft. I can't see them cutting the torque down to 413.

The current 530d with adblue performance has no drop off in power ratings. That's most likely the engine that will show up in the US "535d". I'm not going to complain, but its just confusing...:tsk:

#85 ·
Thought it better to ask here in this thread than make another. Anyone clue when we might have solid details regarding what the 328d will actually be? Anyone in the know reading this that may have an idea of a date we'd have 100% non-speculative info.

I struggle to believe BMW would go the route of calling an unmodified 20d level engine a 28d, with sizable price increase but without performance increase; consider me skeptical and likely naive but I can't believe BMW would be so brazen to do so. The questions I wish to answer are will it fer'sher have urea injection or be a low-pressure diesel like VW chose to go? will it fer'sher have 1 or 2 turbos (which naively seems more logical to get the 25d engine -> 28d vs a 20d -> 28d), and what kind of power/torque and consumption can we expect?

I loved the previous-gen 335d but as I already had a RWD 4-door performance sedan that I didn't want to part with, making a move to the 335d wasn't in the cards for me; and I really wanted a wagon and AWD. And the possibility of me getting a diesel looks promising now. And if the US were to be getting to a "328d" with performance and consumption proportional between the 20d/25d/30d levels where you'd expect a 28d to lie, via say a de-tuned/lower pressure 330d engine to lessen the NOx levels, I'd be all over it. I'd be in-line to trade my JCW in in short order.

But if the 328d is really to be basically a 320d which would mean I'd be paying for near (or even more than?) 330d prices for 320d levels of performance? Forget it; I'm out. I'd just like to know so I can either plan, or get on with my life.

#86 ·
Thought it better to ask here in this thread than make another. Anyone clue when we might have solid details regarding what the 328d will actually be? Anyone in the know reading this that may have an idea of a date we'd have 100% non-speculative info.

I struggle to believe BMW would go the route of calling an unmodified 20d level engine a 28d, with sizable price increase but without performance increase; consider me skeptical and likely naive but I can't believe BMW would be so brazen to do so. The questions I wish to answer are will it fer'sher have urea injection or be a low-pressure diesel like VW chose to go? will it fer'sher have 1 or 2 turbos (which naively seems more logical to get the 25d engine -> 28d vs a 20d -> 28d), and what kind of power/torque and consumption can we expect?

I loved the previous-gen 335d but as I already had a RWD 4-door performance sedan that I didn't want to part with, making a move to the 335d wasn't in the cards for me; and I really wanted a wagon and AWD. And the possibility of me getting a diesel looks promising now. And if the US were to be getting to a "328d" with performance and consumption proportional between the 20d/25d/30d levels where you'd expect a 28d to lie, via say a de-tuned/lower pressure 330d engine to lessen the NOx levels, I'd be all over it. I'd be in-line to trade my JCW in in short order.

But if the 328d is really to be basically a 320d which would mean I'd be paying for near (or even more than?) 330d prices for 320d levels of performance? Forget it; I'm out. I'd just like to know so I can either plan, or get on with my life.
The whole badging thing really bugs me. A 320d with adblue performance (urea) costs that same as a 328i in Europe. I was really hoping for the same relative pricing here. I'm not sure if they'll use the badge to bump the price up or not. If they offer the ecocredit then it may be a wash, but kinda sketchy IMO.

The information released to date has the power output of the 3er d exactly the same as the 320d. It will be a 4 cyl single turbo with adblue performance. (That is the only way they can meet the US emission standards.)

Info posted by Jon Shafer has the 328d going into production in July.

#91 ·
That video is pretty silly. Man BMWUSA is working hard to polish this underpowered overpriced rebadged turd.

If the 335d was soooooo perfect for the E90 why is a rebadged 320d soooooo perfect for the F30?

I've heard more convincing rationalizations from my 3 year old.
Obvious that everyone at BMWUSA got the buzzword memo before this. "Tremendous" and "optimized"

#93 ·
That video is pretty silly. Man BMWUSA is working hard to polish this underpowered overpriced rebadged turd.

If the 335d was soooooo perfect for the E90 why is a rebadged 320d soooooo perfect for the F30?
It's perfect because they're probably not going to have to sell them with huge eco credits, like they did the 335d.

How is it overpriced? If anything, the 335d can be considered overpriced.

If you truly want a larger engine, they'll be happy to sell you the upcoming 535d :thumbup:

#95 ·
close to $40k for a 320d? The guy said that as if it's a wonderful thing that it will come in under $40k.

They are taking an underpowered 320d from Europe and rebadging it as a 328d for gullible americans so that they can mark it up near $40k.
40mpg highway is pretty pathetic for a 4 cylinder diesel. my 335d can get that.

It's a 320d and should be sold and priced as a 320d.

I'd buy a 328i or a even a 320i over this all day long and I suspect most consumers will too.
Others may disagree but IMHO this is some weak-@ss sauce.

#97 ·
close to $40k for a 320d? The guy said that as if it's a wonderful thing that it will come in under $40k.

They are taking an underpowered 320d from Europe and rebadging it as a 328d for gullible americans so that they can mark it up near $40k.
40mpg highway is pretty pathetic for a 4 cylinder diesel.
Well, look at the competition: the Jetta TDi is 42mpg, makes 140 hp and 236 ft-lbs and does the 0-60 in 9 secs. (It also costs only $26K for the highest trim level.) So viewed in the broader scene it's pretty good positioning.

Still, I also wish for a real 6-pot 325d...

#96 ·
My old 335d was under $40k new after all the discounts the dealers and BMW had to toss in to move the cars. No way I'd buy something with less power for close to the same price. I already felt I was paying a little too much for what I got but the power made me not think straight.

#99 ·
In many respects the Passat at $33K would have been a better comparison (although I think it's slightly larger inside than a 3-series.) But they're all diesels, which is the more critical item for comparison purposes.

What? You don't believe that RWD/AWD (note that vw no longer sells Synchro AWD for their diesels) is worth $5K? :)

#102 ·
However close the North American 328d is the European 320d is immaterial. In the US, BMW has chosen a slightly different nomenclature where the number doesn't reflect the displacement as much as it reflects the power of the engine and additionally the equipment that is standard (also reflected in the price).

People looking at the 328i and the theoretical 320d would assume that the d is a lesser car and they would be wrong by the number on the trunk. So in all its wisdom, I believe BMW is naming it a 328d instead.

At least its better than giving each model names like "Cherry" and "Sentra" ha ha.

Just my $.02

PL

#109 ·
The options coming up for the diesel variants to the US from BMW are seriously making me consider going back to a petrol based car.

#110 ·
Bmw 520d beats Toyota Prius in fuel economy test

Does this help?

You may wonder if this is a joke...well it isn't! It is true! The 2.0 liter diesel engine of the Bmw showed better fuel economy than the well-known eco-friendly Toyota Prius. Some of you may see this camparison between the two cars ridiculous but if we look at the CO2 emissions of the two vehicles we see that there are almost equal: the Bmw delivers 41.9 mpg while the Prius, with almost 250 kg lighter, delivers 40.1 mpg.

The test between the two cars was made on the London-to-Geneva route. The Bmw equipped with a series of energy-saving features like the battery recharge when braking, good aerodynamics, low rolling resistance in a word the so-called EfficientDynamics showed no problems on the road and by the end of it also remained with a third of its tank in reserve.

The Prius ran out of gas but this happened only due to smaller tank and because the car is made for urban live. The advantage if hybrids can't be seen on highway where the car is pushing through the wind, this can easily be seen in urban driving where the stop-and-go recaptures the car's energy.

Now if we make a conclusion we can say that Bmw showed every one that its 5-series can beat also the eco-friendly Prius but what if the test would have been made inside a town...Would the Bmw be the winner?
PL

#111 ·
Not really. I want a healthy balance between performance and mileage (my original purpose for buying the 335, but it's become so much more than that), and BMW isn't providing anything to us that will fit that bill anymore.

#112 · (Edited)
Audi on the other hand seems to be jumping in with both feet. Not only is there a new diesel Q5, but the A4 and A8 are also going oil fired here as well. The A4 vs the 328 is interesting, especially since the superb quattro system will make that a very competitive comparo. BMW needs to pull up its socks and get back into the game!:angel:

#114 ·
Today's press release:
Woodcliff Lake, NJ ***8211; March 29, 2013***8230; BMW debuted the new 328d Sedan at the New York International Auto, ushering in the next wave of BMW Advanced Diesel models in the US. The 328d will feature BMW***8217;s 2.0-liter TwinPower diesel 4-cylinder engine. It produces 180 horsepower and 280 lb-ft of torque, available from 1,750 rpm. It will be mated to an 8-speed automatic transmission. The 328d Sedan will accelerate from 0 ***8211; 60 mph in just over seven seconds. Preliminary highway fuel economy estimates are expected to be 45 mpg. The 328d Sedan will be available in rear wheel drive and also with xDrive, BMW***8217;s advanced all-wheel drive system. The sedans will be joined by the 328d xDrive Sports Wagon. All Three variants will arrive in US showroom as 2014 models in fall of 2013.
BMW Advanced diesel models have already shown to US enthusiasts that diesel power can be perfectly suited to The Ultimate Driving MachineTM. With the introduction of the first 4-cylinder diesel BMW engine offered in the US, BMW Advanced Diesel power and particularly outstanding levels of torque and outstanding fuel efficiency. Preliminary fuel economy estimates for the rear wheel drive 328d Sedan are 32 mpg city/45 mpg highway/37 mpg combined*. BMW Advanced Diesel technology includes Selective Catalyst Reduction to make the new 328d models true clean diesels.
Levels of performance and luxury expected of any BMW 3 Series will be ensured with levels of standard equipment on par with the 328i gasoline models. The options list will include Luxury, Sport and Modern Lines as well as M Sport.
Detailed specifications and pricing will be available closer to launch. All three 328d variants will be available in US showrooms this fall.
Impressive fuel economy projections. Better than any of the VW tdi on the EPA cycles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.