BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Availability of BMW diesels in US this year!

34K views 134 replies 33 participants last post by  d geek 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#124 ·
They're missing the boat not providing an X3d...I may end up looking at a GLK or Q5 for a mid-size SUV. BMW is missing the boat on the smaller SUV front.

#122 ·
Passat TDI can be had with 6 spd manual

Can't resist stirring the pot :). If you get the base SE version and don't get the sunroof/nav upgrade, it comes standard with the 6 speed manual. With no other options besides the base non metallic paint (i picked white) and vinyl seats ( i picked cornsilk) the price including destination charges is $27,070.

I know, i know, the diesel has to shift a lot earlier but some people are hell bent on a stick, diesel or not. pot stirred

#123 ·
Can't resist stirring the pot :). If you get the base SE version and don't get the sunroof/nav upgrade, it comes standard with the 6 speed manual. With no other options besides the base non metallic paint (i picked white) and vinyl seats ( i picked cornsilk) the price including destination charges is $27,070.

I know, i know, the diesel has to shift a lot earlier but some people are hell bent on a stick, diesel or not. pot stirred
If I were to buy a Passat then this is probably how I'd option it out, except different colors. I did not realize they could be had this cheap but also not have enough interest in one to go and look.

#127 ·
All you folks whining over the lack of a manual trans offering in the 328d and 535d should read this review.
Another gripe (and perhaps the largest) is with the manual. In order to shave a few thousand euro off the price we went with the 6 speed manual.

And opposite of what you'd expect it was the worst choice imaginable. Rather than increasing the fun it really only adds frustration. Sure its sacrilegious for a left foot snob to say a manual is the wrong choice but if I am being honest it surely was. Due to the low rev nature of the diesel and its turbo lag you end up shifting all the time. The ZF 8 speed (as pictured) is a much better choice for this engine and (in my mind) clearly BMWNA made the right choice as the only transmission available in the US for the upcoming 328d.

Everyone assumes that a manual is more fun, more engaging and the better choice for enthusiasts. I am here to tell you that is a crock of BS. The engine is torquey, efficient (we get 50 mpg mixed) and has enough life to be entertaining but the low rev nature and curve make it ideal for the fast shifting ZF and its algorithms; let alone the plus the auto has in MPG. It is the first time I have ever had buyer's remorse about an option choice, and damned if it isn't the tried and true manual tranny.
:D

#128 ·
I personally never have liked out manual trans diesels drive and essentially for reasons that quote above gives. But if given a choice and it did not cost more money then I'd get a manual trans. My reasons are more to do with manual trans always last forever for me but automatics not so much.

#129 ·
I drove a co-workers TDI jetta sportwagen with stick. It was fine for me but not ignoring the author's strong suggestion either. That is interesting as normally the European's are more stick crazy than most. I knew fuel usage would be better with the 8 speed. I didn't know the 8 speed was a ZF. To me the 535D is getting more and more interesting. I would think the Q5 TDI an 535D would be comparable more so as the newer 3L diesel is a little bit down on power and torque. It is close to that of a european 530D spec wise.

#130 ·
My experience and likes are different.

I had a diesel TDi with manual and then a family member got a DSG automatic with the same engine. The manual had better fuel economy and was more fun to drive, even in the city. The same went for a Volvo in the past where the manual transmission got much better fuel economy than what the EPA said it would while the automatic didn't.

I wouldn't go by EPA fuel economy ratings since they differ significantly from real world driving mpg.

Unless BMW has fallen in its design and engineering game, where it was one of the best manual transmissions, I would still opt for a manual even in a diesel. The low end torque needs getting used to and cannot be driven like some do their gasser manuals. I drive the diesel manual more like one when I try to save fuel and shift earlier anyway.

PL

#132 ·
...I wouldn't go by EPA fuel economy ratings since they differ significantly from real world driving mpg....
I don't disagree that the EPA cycle is wasteful to an extreme, and is particulary hard on diesel fuel economy ratings, but note that the Euro test cycle- which is extreme in the other direction- also indicates that the Auto trans obtains better FE. I'm not saying you can't beat the EPA or meet the ECE ratings with the manual, but it appears you need to try harder with the manual.

#131 ·
I'll take auto with thumb shifters anyday!:thumbs:

#134 ·
It seems like concrete info about these diesel offerings is so hard to come by... :(

Does anyone actually have a 328xd Sports Wagon on schedule for delivery anywhere in the USA this year? My local dealer said he didn't think they'd be here until sometime late next year (2014), but that is counter to what the PR seems to have stated.

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.