Consumer Reports Picks 2013 BMW 328i as Top Sports Sedan

by Tim Jones on February 26, 2013, 1:11 pm
Consumer Reports picks BMW 328i as Sports Sedan Top Pick for 2013

Consumer Reports picks the best car models of the year in 10 categories and the BMW 328i wins the Sports Sedan category. Top picks must meet Consumer Repots' criteria in three main categories.
  • Road test - Each must rank at or near the top of its category in overall test score.
  • Reliability - Each must have earned an average or better predicted-reliability Rating, based on the problems Consumer Reports subscribers reported on 1.2 million vehicles in our latest Annual Auto Survey.
  • Safety - Top Picks must perform adequately if tested in crash or rollover tests conducted by the government or insurance industry.

Quote:
The 3 Series is legendary for its handling prowess and fun-to-drive character. With its recent redesign, it has also become roomier, more luxurious, and more fuel efficient. Ride comfort and fit and finish are impressive. And its 2.0-liter, turbocharged four-cylinder engine delivers quick acceleration, while posting the best gas mileage in its class. Sure, the rear seat is snug and the start/stop system is a bit abrupt. We’ll live with it. $43,195.
Read more at consumerreports.org
BMW-2012-3-Series-F30-Spain 1BMW-2012-3-Series-F30-Spain 2BMW-2012-3-Series-F30-Spain 3BMW-2012-3-Series-F30-Spain 4BMW-2012-3-Series-F30-Spain 5BMW-2012-3-Series-F30-Spain 6BMW-2012-3-Series-F30-Spain 7BMW-2012-3-Series-F30-Spain 8BMW-2012-3-Series-F30-Spain 9BMW-2012-3-Series-F30-Spain 10BMW-2012-3-Series-F30-Spain 11BMW-2012-3-Series-F30-Spain 12

Leave a Comment

You must be a registered member to comment on stories. Please take a moment to register for your free account now. If you already have an account, log in using fields below.

24 responses to Consumer Reports Picks 2013 BMW 328i as Top Sports Sedan

3ismagic# commented:
February 26, 2013, 3:26 pm

In their blurb, hey describe the F30 as "With its recent redesign, it has also become roomier, more luxurious, and more fuel efficient" relative to the E90

Roomier? Yes.
More fuel efficient? yes
More luxurious? In what way?
I'm trying to figure out what way is the F30 more luxurious than the E90? Standard equipment is very similar. I wouldn't say the N20, 8AT, ASS make it more luxurious.

One could make the argument that the last year of the E90 the value package provided free leather and so it was "more luxurious".

I don't mean this to be a F30 vs E90 p!ssing contest. I'm just having a hard time understanding what the heck they can be referring to.
beden1 commented:
February 26, 2013, 3:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ismagic# View Post
In their blurb, hey describe the F30 as "With its recent redesign, it has also become roomier, more luxurious, and more fuel efficient" relative to the E90

Roomier? Yes.
More fuel efficient? yes
I'm trying to figure out what way is the F30 more luxurious than the E90? Standard equipment is very similar. I wouldn't say the N20, 8AT, ASS make it more luxurious.

One could make the argument that the last year of the E90 the value package provided free leather and so it was "more luxurious".

I don't mean this to be a F30 vs E90 p!ssing contest. I'm just having a hard time understanding what the heck they can be referring to.
I think it's because the base E90 328i was stripped as compared to the F30 328i which comes with more standard creature comforts?
captainaudio commented:
February 26, 2013, 3:41 pm

A while back there was a thread here about how Consumer Reports "Dissed" the F30.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...light=consumer

I am amazed at how much Consumer Reports has learned in the last few months.

CA
captainaudio commented:
February 26, 2013, 3:44 pm

A while back there was a thread here about how Consumer Reports "Dissed" the F30.

I am amazed at how much Consumer Reports has learned about cars in the last few months.

CA
SamS commented:
February 26, 2013, 3:48 pm

Quote:

Roomier? Yes.
More fuel efficient? yes

The F30 is "more luxurious" compared to the E90 because of the availability of more premium options, i.e. Heads Up Display, Top View/Side View/Rear cameras, Blind Spot Detection, Collision Warning, etc., etc.
408Racer commented:
February 26, 2013, 4:04 pm

Quote:
In their blurb, hey describe the F30 as "With its recent redesign, it has also become roomier, more luxurious, and more fuel efficient" relative to the E90..
Leave it to the toaster testing safety nerds at Consumer Reports to make the F30 look like an Accord or Lexus next to the E90. So where's faster, stiffer, more dynamic, more technologically advanced?

This does not impress me nearly as much as being on Car and Driver's 10Best. Those guys know car like I know cars.
Jamesonsviggen commented:
February 26, 2013, 4:08 pm

Quote:

Roomier? Yes.
More fuel efficient? yes

The '13 has standard dual power seats with driver memory, FINALLY the folding rear seats(not sure if that counts as luxury), the adjustable ambient lighting, homelink/garage door openers, auto dimming compass rear view mirror, power folding sideview mirrors, I-drive w/6.5" color screen, adjustable driving modes-ECO/Comfort/Sport.

BMW 3's often looked a bit sparse when looking at standard equipment. I was actually pleasantly surprised this time around.
voip-ninja commented:
February 26, 2013, 4:43 pm

Quote:

Roomier? Yes.
More fuel efficient? yes

As others have pointed out the F30 has more standard equipment (power seats FTW!!) then the E90.

Also, having gotten a couple of E90 loaners I would have to argue that the E90 feels further from the F10 than the F30 does. Even Auto Spies owner (Agent 007), who reviewed the F30 (and owns an E90) pointed out that many have complained for years that the 3 series had a cheap spartan interior, but that the interior of the F30 was the first 3 series interior that deserved the "luxury" moniker.
beden1 commented:
February 26, 2013, 5:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
As others have pointed out the F30 has more standard equipment (power seats FTW!!) then the E90.

Also, having gotten a couple of E90 loaners I would have to argue that the E90 feels further from the F10 than the F30 does. Even Auto Spies owner (Agent 007), who reviewed the F30 (and owns an E90) pointed out that many have complained for years that the 3 series had a cheap spartan interior, but that the interior of the F30 was the first 3 series interior that deserved the "luxury" moniker.
I can understand why some E90 owners are confused about comments that the F30 is more "luxurious" than the E90. Those who have well optioned E90s don't see where the F30 is more "luxurious".
Jamesonsviggen commented:
February 26, 2013, 5:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
I can understand why some E90 owners are confused about comments that the F30 is more "luxurious" than the E90. Those who have well optioned E90s don't see where the F30 is more "luxurious".
I think it applies more to standard equipment as I said.

I think when optioned up, the gap is smaller between E90 and F30 in terms of luxury, there are only a couple of gadgets unique to the F30 launch.
kpgray commented:
February 26, 2013, 5:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
I think it applies more to standard equipment as I said.

I think when optioned up, the gap is smaller between E90 and F30 in terms of luxury, there are only a couple of gadgets unique to the F30 launch.
I would agree with that it has more standard options but do not forget the F30 is "Roomier and Smoother." Everything from the softer suspension (base suspension) to the electronic steering.
Bmwlvr60 commented:
February 27, 2013, 9:47 pm

Here's the full online review:

PhotosVideoBase MSRP price range: $32,550 - $68,750 HighsFuel economy, handling, ride, acceleration, transmission, fit and finish, reliability. LowsEngine clatter at startup, controls, abrupt start/stop system, shift lever. See our user reviewsAlready own it? Write a reviewCar Type: Compact sports sedansCR overall score What's this? 86 958673

OverviewRatings & SpecsRoad TestReliabilityOwner SatisfactionPrices & CostsPhotos & VideoRecallsRoad TestFull Track Report

Road Testsedan 328i 4-cyl
By almost any important measure the new BMW 3 Series is an excellent car. The turbocharged four-cylinder engine in the 328i we tested makes the car quick yet frugal, achieving 28 mpg overall. Ride comfort, a cabin quiet, and interior fit and finish are all impressive. Even the tight rear seats have picked up a little breathing room. Steering feel is less tactile than previous models, though, and some controls remain needlessly complicated. Our main peeves concerned the engine idle, which sounds rough at startup; and the newly introduced stop/start system, which operates too abruptly. Even if the new 3 Series is slightly less driver-focused, it still delivers a very satisfying and balanced overall driving experience. A hybrid sedan based on the six-cylinder turbo is new for 2013.

The Driving Experience
Ride comfort and noise: The new 3 Series rides very comfortably, with its well-tuned suspension blunting nearly every bump in the road. The highway ride is rock solid, supple, and controlled. Little road or wind noise is allowed inside the quiet cabin, but there's just no disguising the fact that the new turbocharged four-cylinder engine is notably noisier than any of the famous inline six-cylinder engines it replaced.

Handling: In everyday driving, the 328i feels taut and agile, tackling tight corners with hardly any body lean and quick turn-in response. Compared with previous generations, the steering now feels more assisted and less precise on-center. Selecting Sport mode doesn't remedy that but gives the wheel a little more heft.

The 328i comes alive when pushed hard, and it proved both secure and very enjoyable at our track. The stability control allows just enough rear end slide to easily adjust the cornering line, and driving enthusiasts can shut off the ESC altogether for more spirited driving. It posted a high speed through our avoidance maneuver, showing lots of grip and balance behavior, thus instilling confidence.

Powertrain: Acceleration times are very impressive considering the mere 2.0-liter displacement of our car's 240-hp base turbocharged four-cylinder engine. Acceleration feels punchy at mid to high revs but a little lackluster at low revs. A turbocharged six-cylinder is available in the 335i.

The eight-speed automatic is very smooth and responsive, shifting imperceptibly. A six-speed manual is available. A mode selector, with EcoPro, Comfort, and Sport settings, makes a noticeable difference, changing throttle response and shift points for maximum fuel economy or maximum response. In the default Comfort mode, we averaged 28 mpg. The rather fiddly electronic shift lever has a manual-override feature that works easily.

Despite this powertrain's impressive performance and fuel economy, it's not perfect. At idle and low speeds the engine makes an audible clatter, almost like a diesel. More annoying was the fuel-saving stop/start system, which frequently shuts off the engine at idle, restarting when you release the brake. The car shakes a bit when the engine shuts off and then shudders when it restarts. That feature saves fuel -- we found it gained one mpg in our city-driving cycle -- but its coarseness was unwelcome. Thankfully, it can be shut off.

Braking: Overall performance was very good, with short stops on both wet and dry pavement.

Headlights: The low-beam halogen lights don't provide enough forward visibility to allow the driver time to see, react and brake for objects in the road. The high beams have very good forward visibility and intensity.

Inside The Cabin
Driving position: Most drivers can get comfortably situated behind the wheel. There's plenty of leg- and head room, and a well-placed dead-pedal left footrest. The center tunnel intrudes a bit at shin level, though. Taller drivers' knees may feel cramped. The tilt and telescope steering wheel, while helpful, is stiff to adjust and can partly block the view to the gauges. Oddly, the shoulder-belt anchor doesn't adjust for height. We think that any $40,000 car should have a standard backup camera, but here it's optional. Even without it, though, the view out is very good. Roof pillars are thin and windows are large.

Seat comfort and access: The front seats are well-padded, with firm support that holds up on long trips. Power lumbar adjustment provides good lower-back support. Our Luxury model has the standard seats, which are fairly flat and have modest bolstering, but they provide enough lateral support for routine driving. Seats with more pronounced bolsters come in the Sport trim line.

The rear seats are well-shaped and supportive for two adults but the bottom cushion is a bit low and leg room is just OK. Access posed no special problems front or rear into the low-slung car.

Controls and gauges: Most gauges are clear, the climate system uses simple buttons, and the large center dashboard screen is easy to read, but speedometer labeling is in coarse 10 mph increments, making it hard to know exactly how fast you're going.

Despite improvements, such as hard keys for some radio and most climate functions, the iDrive multi-controller system remains confusing. You still have to dive into the menus for manual station tuning or for selecting satellite radio.

Another feature we've never liked is the counterintuitive shift lever, which requires the driver to push the shifter forward from park to engage reverse. You must also press one button to shift into gear and another to park. The wiper and turn signal stalks instantly return to center, making it hard to cancel an input or figure out the wiper setting you're using, but the rain sensing feature works well minimizing the need to fiddle. The power lock button is in the center dashboard; we'd prefer it on the doors.

An integrated iPod interface uses the iDrive controller to move through song menus. Voice commands can work some functions, but you cannot, for instance, pick a specific song by voice. Bluetooth hands-free phone capability comes standard, but we couldn't always pair our phones successfully.

Interior fit and finish: Cabin furnishings are first-rate, with many padded surfaces and copious chrome and burl walnut trim. The textured leather seats have attractive decorative stitching and you'll find soft low-pile carpeting underfoot. We noted a slight gap behind the door pulls and a large one next to the glove box door.

Cabin storage and cargo room: Cabin storage is modest with a small bin under the armrest. The trunk can hold two large suitcases and a duffel. Folding the optional 60/40-spilt folding seatbacks makes more cargo space. No jack or spare tire is included, since the stock tires are run-flats.

Safety Notes
Safety belts: The front safety belts have pretensioners. Belts in all positions have force limiters.

Air bags: Front-, side-, and head-protecting curtain air bags are standard; front occupants have knee bags as well. If sensors detect a child-sized occupant in the front passenger seat, they disable that position's air bags.

Head restraints: Power-adjustable active head restraints in front are tall enough to protect adults even when they're lowered. Rear outboard restraints are adjustable and tall enough to protect adults even when lowered as well. The center-rear restraint must be flipped up to protect adults.

Crash-avoidance systems: Stability and traction control, and antilock brakes are standard. Lane-departure and blind-spot detection systems are available.

Driving with kids: LATCH anchors can be hard to access but provide a secure fit. Some rear-facing child seats can be difficult to secure in the outbaor rear seats using safety belts. The parcel shelf has three top-tether anchors.

Reliability
We expect reliability to be much better than average, according to our latest subscriber survey.

Tested model: 2012 328i sedan, 2.0-liter 4-cyl. turbo, 8-speed automatic
Major options: Luxury line (18" wheels, walnut trim), heated steering wheel and seats, folding rear seat, moonroof, power front seats with lumbar, satellite radio.
This road test applies to the current model year of this vehicle.

Full Track Report

Road tests as published in Consumer Reports magazine
2012 328i sedan, 2.0-liter 4-cyl. turbo, 8-speed automatic
2008 328i sedan, 3.0-liter 6-cyl., 6-speed automatic
2008 328i convertible, 3.0-liter 6-cyl., 6-speed automatic
2006 325xi wagon AWD, 3.0-liter 6-cyl., 6-speed automatic
2006 325i sedan, 3.0-liter 6-cyl., 6-speed automatic
2004 M3 coupe, 3.2-liter 6-cyl., 6-speed manual
tturedraider commented:
February 27, 2013, 10:23 pm

Quote:

Roomier? Yes.
More fuel efficient? yes

Exactly the same thought I had when I read that. Just words the writer wrote without any real thought. As best as I can tell these days professional "journalists" don't feel particularly bound by those outdated standards of being factual or accurate.
3ismagic# commented:
February 27, 2013, 11:12 pm

Apparently power seats = more luxurious?
captainaudio commented:
February 27, 2013, 11:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 408Racer View Post
Leave it to the toaster testing safety nerds at Consumer Reports to make the F30 look like an Accord or Lexus next to the E90. So where's faster, stiffer, more dynamic, more technologically advanced?

This does not impress me nearly as much as being on Car and Driver's 10Best. Those guys know car like I know cars.
Consumer Reports has a very elaborate automotive test facility in Connecticut.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2...cars/index.htm

CA
Bmwlvr60 commented:
February 27, 2013, 11:48 pm

Car Magazine Reviews
I have to tell you folks that I'm always skeptical with most reviews I read. I'm especially skeptical of the ones in magazines that receive huge revenues from the car companies in the form of advertising.

So a plausible scenario Is the following: a writer for Road and Track or one of the other car magazines is invited to a cocktail party for the introduction of a new model car. He's wined and dined by car manufacturer's executives. Maybe there are some females there who flirt with the writer and it's a fun day for the writer. He gets to test drive the new model, eat some high quality food and hang out with some powerful people and beautiful women. In the meanwhile the advertising department at R&T has already collected money from the car manufacturer for advertising- lots of money.

Do you think it's possible that the writer may be influenced by the goings on that day? Do you think that it's possible that the advertising department who's going to place an ad in the very same magazine or electronic version of the magazine that the writer's review will appear may have some influence over the writer? Do you think that the writer would like to be invited back to an event in the future and is concerned that if he's too critical he won't be?

I'm involved in marketing, and also in politics. The unethical ways people conduct themselves AT TIMES is very disappointing.

I absolutely don't think my scenerio is the norm, but I KNOW it can happen.

I mostly rely on Consumer Reports for car reviews and secondly on people on these forums. You people are great! I love all the back and forth and objective and subjective commentary based on your love of cars and research.

I think the geeky, liberal, pink panty wearing guys who used to get their lunch stolen every day in high school, losers at Consumer Reports who couldn't get laid with a wad of 100 dollar bills at a whorehouse, are much more reliable than all the other car magazines combined. And the liberal women who work at CR who wear comfortable shoes and aren't even attractive enough for those same guys are equally reliable. They don't accept any advertising and that's all you mostly need to know about them. Oh, and they have a state of the art testing facility and buy all the cars they test secretly.

LOL, I truly look forward to your replies.

And if you're offended by this you don't have a sense of humor even though "you know you do".
tturedraider commented:
February 28, 2013, 12:39 am

I've been reading Consumer Reports since they used to give two full pages to each review with tons of detail and long enough to know that though their reports are useful they also need to be taken for what they are and with a grain of salt.
bmw_or_audi commented:
February 28, 2013, 2:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post

I am amazed at how much Consumer Reports has learned about cars in the last few months.
Well you shouldn't be. That article is not a review. It is just the personal opinion of one staffer who sounds like some of our the nostalgic resident BWM fans who cannot deal with change. The review itself has been positive, but it does mention those two points: change in character of the engine and steering. But that is something universally acknowledged.
K-A commented:
March 1, 2013, 7:37 am

Good pick.

As for "more luxurious than the E90", it has nothing to do with features. People focus too much on features nowadays as if cars are just empty nests in which features fill them and make or break their worthiness.

It comes down to craftsmanship, quietness, fit/finish, solidity, ride, material selection.... you know, the *inherent qualities* that speak luxury, not computers to give the impression or addition of it.

Though the F30 is one of the lesser impressive BMW's in terms of interior refinement, considering IMO BMW's larger cars have been knocking them out of the park in that regard ever since the F01, it is still ahead of the E90 in inherent luxury.
3ismagic# commented:
March 1, 2013, 8:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Good pick.

As for "more luxurious than the E90", it has nothing to do with features. People focus too much on features nowadays as if cars are just empty nests in which features fill them and make or break their worthiness.

It comes down to craftsmanship, quietness, fit/finish, solidity, ride, material selection.... you know, the *inherent qualities* that speak luxury, not computers to give the impression or addition of it.

Though the F30 is one of the lesser impressive BMW's in terms of interior refinement, considering IMO BMW's larger cars have been knocking them out of the park in that regard ever since the F01, it is still ahead of the E90 in inherent luxury.
Huh?

You can't be possibly serious. I own an E90 and have driven the F30 a couple of times. None of what you speak is superior or more luxurious in the F30. If anything the solidity and many of the interior materials are inferior in the F30.

Heck just open/close the doors of the two cars and you would never conclude the F30 to be more solid.

Again I'm not here to start a war. I'm just not buying this BS that somehow the F30 is more "luxurious" than the E90. It may or may not be a better car but calling something the "luxury line" doesn't make it more luxurious.
beden1 commented:
March 1, 2013, 9:16 am

Quote:
Huh?

You can't be possibly serious. I own an E90 and have driven the F30 a couple of times. None of what you speak is superior or more luxurious in the F30. If anything the solidity and many of the interior materials are inferior in the F30.

Heck just open/close the doors of the two cars and you would never conclude the F30 to be more solid.

Again I'm not here to start a war. I'm just not buying this BS that somehow the F30 is more "luxurious" than the E90. It may or may not be a better car but calling something the "luxury line" doesn't make it more luxurious.
I agree. The same holds true comparing the F10 with the E60.
K-A commented:
March 1, 2013, 10:26 am

Quote:
Huh?

I actually wasn't trying to be specific (maybe just assuming on my part). I know the F01 and F10 are massive improvements in every scope of luxury and refinement over their predecessors, so I assume/d it would be the same for the F30. Though I do realize the F30's interior and overall craftsmanship seems to be from a whole different manufacturer (and in some cases, i.e parts suppliers and chassis code, sort of is) than from the large platform cars.
Rover commented:
March 12, 2013, 7:41 pm

Yet my friend....the F30 must be a relatively solid car. It gets top marks in crash tests...slightly better than the E90.

Second, clearly the F30 is not trying to be a mini- F10. If it were...it would have a softer ride...and less handling. So...if you are looking for F10 luxury..you may need an F10.

I just came from an E92...into an F30 Sport Line. It is a different car...but I love it. I also loved my E92.

Make no mistake...I am not awed by the BMW mark. After MANY test rides in the competitor cars (all nice vehicles)....the F30 was my pick of the lot....or I would not have bought it.

Bottom line. To each his own. If you prefer the E90...go for it. If you prefer the F10...or an A4...or whatever.....go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
I actually wasn't trying to be specific (maybe just assuming on my part). I know the F01 and F10 are massive improvements in every scope of luxury and refinement over their predecessors, so I assume/d it would be the same for the F30. Though I do realize the F30's interior and overall craftsmanship seems to be from a whole different manufacturer (and in some cases, i.e parts suppliers and chassis code, sort of is) than from the large platform cars.
Robert A commented:
March 12, 2013, 8:35 pm

Whatever happened to this:
http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=458

And what about those brakes?