BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Climb to the Clouds 5, June 29 in the White Mountains of NH

135K views 1K replies 48 participants last post by  Bemo 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

Official Website of Bimmerfester's Climb to the Clouds http://www.climbtotheclouds.org/index.htm

On June 29 Bimmerfesters driving any BMW model will meet for our fifth annual tour of the White Mountains! The 'high point' of the day will be an ascent of Mt. Washington (it's the "Climb to the Clouds"). It's possibly the most intense drive opportunity east of Pike's Peak. Braving a seven mile long, steeply twisting road without guardrails, with spectacular views in occasionally very challenging weather will be an adventure you'll not soon forget.

Along the way we'll cross a covered bridge, possibly dodge a moose or two, tour the Kancamagus Highway (a US Scenic Byway), and experience Bear Notch Road -the condensed Dragon's Tail of NH.

We are looking into a BBQ lunch at the MWAR base lodge this year, and adding to the tour for CtoC vets who might want to get a look at a waterfall or The Flume Gorge. Details to follow later as we check things out.

We'll wrap it up with old and new friends meeting for a banquet at a country inn. This year we'll revisit the Woodstock Inn Station and Brewery which has undergone major expansion and renovation with an all new banquet room downstairs.

As we have in years past, following dinner we'll have an auction to raise a donation for charity. We have supported Susan G Komen for the Cure, and Voluntary Services Overseas. This year we have selected Survive the Drive to support. I'll leave it to Captainaudio to describe the wonderful work they do to educate youngsters in the critical skills of road safety. Bimmerfest members have been very generous in the past, both in donations for the auction, and the bidding on the items up for auction. Suffice to say, the auction is a fun and fitting end to the day.

If you'd like to get some sense of what this is all about, here's a link to last year's thread for CtoC4. Take a look at the photos and read the comments. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607948&highlight=

Here are the URL's for the sights we'll see, and a Google Map of the tour and meeting points.

This Google Map was used in previous tours and will be modified for some new scenery this year. All the highlights will remain, but there'll be some new roads of interest to the veterans.
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msi...1.430358,2.763062&iwloc=00046ab6b4cc4f3bf3dc1

The Omni Mount Washington Resort:
http://www.omnihotels.com/FindAHotel/BrettonWoodsMountWashington.aspx
"As grand as the history behind it, the Omni Mount Washington Hotel, located in Bretton Woods, New Hampshire, is gracious in ambiance and generous in amenities. A favorite New England retreat of presidents, poets and celebrities, the hotel delights every sense with enchanting music, refined dining and luxurious décor."

The Mount Washington Auto Road:
http://mtwashingtonautoroad.com/
"The timeless and dramatic beauty of the Presidential Range and the Northeast's highest peak is yours to enjoy with a comfortable SnowCoach ride up to treeline on the Mt. Washington Auto Road. Our custom made SnowCoaches are the only vehicles that can take your whole family to this remarkable place-a place that will leave you with breathtaking memories (and pictures) that will be enjoyed for a lifetime. The SnowCoach on Mt. Washington is truly a one of a kind experience!"

The Mt. Washington summit observatory
http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/

The Kancamagus Highway:
http://www.kancamagushighway.com/
"The Kancamagus Highway is a 34.5 mile scenic drive along NH's Rt. 112 in Northern New Hampshire that is well known as one of the best Fall Foliage viewing areas in the country. The Kancamagus Highway is now designated an American Scenic Byway for its rich history, aesthetic beauty and culture."

We have a block of rooms reserved at a discounted rate at the Omni Mount Washington Report (Hotel Mount Washington)
Please contact the hotel and mention Bimmerfest Climb to the Clouds for the special discounted rates.

This year's entry fee of $30 per car, and all proceeds of the auction will go to Survive the Drive.
Although it is not a requirement all participants are encouraged to contribute items to the auction.
As usual souvenir "Swag Bags" with event postcards, window stickers, refrigerator magnets and other event memorabilia will be distributed to all participants along with official Climb to the Clouds name tags.

URL for the auction will be posted soon.

SurvivetheDrive®
Your Best Behind The Wheel: A Teen Driver Safety Program
http://www.survivethedrive.org
Survive the Drive is an organization that promotes safe driving by teenagers and educates them on the consequences of unsafe driving practices. Survive the Drive was founded by Bob Green, Bob is an experienced racer, a Senior Skip Barber Racing School Instructor and drives the BMW M3 Pace Car at Lime Rock Park. Well known racers Sam Posey, Bob Sharp are on the board of directors of Survive the Drive as was the late John Fitch until his death last year.
This is a very worthy cause and is especially applicable to our event as it is automobile related and as many of the Climb to the Clouds participants are parents of young drivers.
SurvivetheDrive® is an independent, not-for-profit, educational organization educating drivers of all ages, particularly vulnerable and inexperienced teenage drivers, about the often hideous and everlasting results of inattentive driving.

The primary goal is to reach every newly or soon-to-be licensed teen (or adult) through the use of a multi-media presentation by Bob Green. He focuses the students on the detrimental activity of texting, reading, drinking, phoning and any other activities that remove conscious understanding of the ever-present operational hazards of heavy, moving equipment. Bob calls this type of driving 'Driving While Oblivious' (DWO) and results in driver error in 93% of all crashes. Past and present novice driver training and DMV driver testing results have been shown to have little deterrent effect on these crash rates.

SurvivetheDrive presentations can be scheduled as a single assembly or as an accompanying presentation that will focus on each student's competence and the desire to be their "Best Behind the Wheel."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=8Yd66ucjA8I

Don't miss out this year! It's unforgettable family rated fun with many options to custom tailor your weekend, or make it part of a vacation in the mountains.

Interested? Questions? Want to hang out with other Bimmerfesters who'll be Climbing to the Clouds? Then click on over to the Bimmerfest Social Group set up by Captainaudio. See you there!
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/group.php?do=discuss&group=&discussionid=71

Attachments

See less See more
#181 ·
EdCT and I are at a banquet with our friend Stephanie and are trying to convince her to attend C2C5 with her Lime Rock Edition M3.

CA

#182 ·
Hey I think I remember seeing that orange LRP edition M3 during the Fall Foliage Drive! Sweet ride, I'd love to see it conquer the Mt. Washington ascent. :thumbup:

Ms. Bemo and I just returned from a banquet, too. We are getting more and more involved with the local Habitat for Humanity chapter.

#184 ·
I may be bringing a different car - my wife's M35x - as Chuck says, there'll be plenty of BMW's on hand, but there's only one Sharon (my wife) ;)

Thanks Chuck :thumbup:

Sharon has some back issues, so a comfy car is a necessity for her, the five hours jaunt from CT to NH, then another five the day of the drive would wipe her out in my car, so if we decide it's doable for her, the Infiniti it is.

We also picked up another couple, my friends Jonathan and his wife Cheryl, who have an X5 turbo.

Then there's Stephanie with her M3 LR edition - could be an interesting group indeed!!

Ed

#197 ·
Finally caught up on the thread...

Rooms are booked, my ///Mistress is in good repair hiding in the garage from all this New England snow (2 Feet in MARCH?!) and Mrs. Fryed and I are excitedly anticipating CtoC5. Can't wait to see you guys and spend the weekend driving up in the White Mountains!

--Fryed

#198 ·
Welcome to the trip! Were you able to book at the Mt Washington hotel with the room block?

#219 ·
PM me if you are interested in signing up for my Ahole mentoring program.
Some of my most gifted students are on Bimmerfest so I think the quality of my work speaks for itself.

CA
Is that what you were doing back at the MWH during the Bear Notch Road run--conducting a seminar? I might have to sign up this year! :)

#220 ·
:rofl:

Excellent Find!

#224 ·
I have been in contact with Johnny Roaster. He was trying to arrange his schedule but is very interested in attending. I'll tell him the gang has requested the honor of his presence at c2c5.

CA

#232 · (Edited)

#233 ·
Alternatively, on the way up, the passenger could opt to lose weight and not make the car lean :confused:

#242 ·
Yes I do. I had it on the car when I went to sell the 330. Almost had them believing it until they ran the VIN. Rascally VIN numbers always ruining my plots! ;)

I would be so happy to not have to stare at your purple car that I'd buy you some junker like a 2007 E92 to drive for the day.

BJ
Sold. I'll expect delivery in two weeks.

And my car is not purple, it's grape!

#246 · (Edited)
The orange M3 is the "Lime Rock Edition" M3, not the "Skip Barber Orange" M3. I would have thought that a former lessee of an "M328i x-drive Wal-Mart Special Edition" M-car would have recognized this low production volume model!
:eeps:

#249 ·
So does our fearless leader have an update for us? Who is coming

#250 ·
I heard he took a photo of the list - so we're screwed until at least 2014, if not later, for it to be posted.

Spring is coming to NH, so he is probably shedding and a little bit irritable!

#252 ·
Survive the Drive Spring 2013 Garage Tours

We will be attending all three events. After the March 23rd and May 11th events we will be going to dinner at the Falls Village in. If anyone is interested in joining us send me a PM.

SurvivetheDrive®,
Presents​
The Spring 2013 Garage Tour

Survive the Drive, dedicated to motivating and informing teenage drivers to understand and adopt safe driving behaviors, is offering car and racing enthusiasts a unique opportunity to view unique street and racecars at three of New England's premier restoration facilities. With one tour scheduled each month from March through May, the tour offers enthusiasts the opportunity to view and discuss the history and restoration of the various collections in each of the shops.

March 23rd, 2-4 PM - Don Breslauer's - DBEnterprises in Lakeville, CT

Don's credentials include competition and restoration at Group 44, the Triumph racing team in northern VA, Milestone Racing in Wilton, CT fabricating and maintaining Tony Adamowitz's Trans Am Championship U2 Porsche and, later, Tony's series winning Gurney Formula A Eagle. Don opened shop in Salisbury Ct in early 1985. His creative craftsmanship, engineering and detailed restorations have gained him a solid reputation in his field. Don's present project list includes a rare, Vanden Plas (all aluminum bodied), 1934 Alvis, a 1967 Piper GT, Sam Posey's Formula Ford track day car, and three 1953 Cunninghams, two of twenty coupes and one of five convertibles produced.
Single Day Event $100.00

April 20th Kent Bain's - Automotive Restorations in Stratford, CT

Kent's shop has a staff of 40 trained professionals to handle any form of automotive restoration work, from forming bodywork to tuning your injectors. Kent oversees racecar prep and support, concours transport, participation and can frequently be seed judging at the more prestigious car shows. His facility is packed with Vintage Rolls Royce and Austin, Gullwing Mercedes, Alfa Romeos, even a hot rod 1930's hearse.
Single Day Event $100.00

May 11th Brian Donovan's - Donovan Motorcar Service in Lenox, Ma

Brian began Donovan Motorcar Service in 1990 and offers both restoration and vintage racing support services. His successful E-type Jaguars can be seen campaigning at the major vintage events in the northeast along with the client cars he supports.
His road cars include Arlo Guthrie's Mercedes 220A SC Cabriolet, a uniquely restored 1966 E-type Jaguar, an XK 150 FHC, a 1937 Cord Beverly Sedan, and yes even a very nicely restored 1941 Ford pick up.
Single Day Event $100.00
To Register

Attendance is limited to 25 enthusiasts per event. To reserve your place for the dates on the tour, contact Joy Martorell ljoy@survivethedrive.org, 860-435 1054 or 860 671-1543 cell

The 'Garage Tour' benefits SurvivetheDrive, an educational presentation for high school assemblies, offering information and understanding to teenagers, our most vulnerable drivers.

Go to www.survivethedrive.org for more information about Survive the Drive and its mission.

#253 ·
Do you think BJ will be overly miffed if we show up in a 2013 F30 rental? :dunno:

#254 ·
I take it you couldn't find an agency at Logan that rents high end cars. :dunno:

CA

#256 ·
Auction Items

I have a number of great items for the auction.
Furby will set up an auction web site like he did last year.
We encourage everyone to contribute items to the auction and all proceeds will go to Survive the Drive.

Watkins Glen the Street Years (2 copies)
Signed "For Bimmerfest Climb To The Clouds, June 29, 2013" by author Philippe Defechereaux.

Formula One at Watkins Glen
Signed "Thank you for supporting Bimmerfest Climb to the Clouds
and The International Motor Racing Research Center"
by author Michael Argetsinger. (2 copies)

Two biographies of Sir Stirling Moss (both signed by Stirling Moss)

A Lime Rock Historic Festival 30 Poster (picture to follow) that is signed
By Sir Stirling Moss and John Fitch. This was John Fitch's last public appearance
before he passed away in early October.

CA

#278 ·
Additional Item for the auction:
Start filling up your piggy banks!

Two Turner Motorspors Grand Am posters signed by Will Turner and Paul Dalla Lana

CA

#279 ·
True hell = having to ride patco from philly to nj and back cause car is in production

Sent from my DROID4 using Bimmer App

#281 ·

#282 ·
Needs more furby!

#283 ·
:thumbup:
Perhaps move the goat to the other side of the road so it is not obscured by the overmask?

#284 ·

#285 ·
If there are spots available, I would like to join the group for C2C5. I missed the last one due to, well, not owning a BMW (though by reading the C2C4 summary, I could've rented a Ford Focus). My replacement vehicle should be in by late May.

NHman

#286 · (Edited)
If there are spots available, I would like to join the group for C2C5. I missed the last one due to, well, not owning a BMW (though by reading the C2C4 summary, I could've rented a Ford Focus). My replacement vehicle should be in by late May.

NHman
We'll add you to the list. Will you be staying at the Omni Mount Washingtin Resort or will it be a day trip for you?

CA

#287 · (Edited)

This version prints out clearly at 2.5" diameter as a window sticker.

#295 ·
C2C4 Makes Google Street View!

We're Famous!!

Tonight I was doing a little research for photo-op points (refreshing my memory) and I clicked on Google Street View on the top of Mount Washington. Look what showed up!

Attachments

#296 ·
We're Famous!!

Tonight I was doing a little research for photo-op points (refreshing my memory) and I clicked on Google Street View on the top of Mount Washington. Look what showed up!
Oh that is totally hot! So BMW really is a status symbol :)

#298 ·
Tip o' the hat to TeeZee for geotagging and posting it to Panoromio. :thumbup:

#299 ·
Another option would be if she is signed into her Google account, and has that picture stored in one of her e-mails, google+, etc. Google will show your pictures when you do a search for similar areas. For example, if i am signed in, and do a search for Cayman Islands, I will see some of my cayman island photos. Not because I am famous, but because they are associated with my account :)

#303 · (Edited)
URGENT - HELP ME DISTRIBUTE MY $15 MILLION TO CHARITY

IN SUMMARY:- I have 15,000,000.00 (fifteen million) U.S. Dollars and I want you to assist me in distributing the money to charity organizations. I agree to reward you with part of the money for your assistance, kindness and participation in this Godly project. This mail might come to you as a surprise and the temptation to ignore it as unserious could come into your mind but please consider it a divine wish and accept it with a deep sense of skepticism.

I am Mr Obah Babbarabamabatundibabba (my friends call me Phyllis) and I am a 55 years old man. I am a South African living in the Garden City of Port Oilslick.
- Nigeria. I was the President/CEO and janitor of TOMOBA OIL LIMITED - an oil servicing comapny in Port Oilslick . I was also married with two children. My wife and two children died in a car accident six years ago. Before this happened my business and concern for making money was all I was living for and I never really cared about other people.

But since the loss of my family, I have found a new desire to exploit the helpless. I have been helping orphans in orphanages/motherless homes and women in houses of ill repute. I have donated some money to orphans in Sudan, Ethiopia, Cameroon,Spain,Austria,Germany, New Jersey and some Asian countries.

Before I became ill, I kept $15 Million in a long-term deposit account in The West Bank of the Hudson River (WBHR). Presently, I am in the hospital where I have been undergoing treatment for hypochondriasis and my doctors have told me that I have only a few minutes to live. It is my last wish to see this money distributed to charity organizations. Because my relatives and friends has plundered so much of my wealth since my illness, I cannot live with the agony of entrusting this huge responsibility to any of them.

Please, I beg you in the name of God to help me collect the $15 Million and the interest accrued on the deposit from WBHR and distributes it amongst charity organizations.

You are at liberty to use your discretion to distribute the money and feel free as well to reimburse yourself when you have the money for any expenses you incur in the course of collecting and distributing the money to charity organizations. I am willing to reward you for your assistance and kindness.

Kindly expedite action and contact me via e-mail: Babbarabamabatundibabba@spam.com if this proposal is acceptable to you.

May the good Lord bless you and your family.

Best Regards,
Mr Obah Babbarabamabatundibabba

N.B Contact me via e-mail: ripuoff@suckah.com

But Wait There's More!

If you act immediately I will include a priceless collection of photographs of Mount Washington, New Hampshire.

#304 ·
[snip]
You are at liberty to use your discretion to distribute the money and feel free as well to reimburse yourself when you have the money for any expenses you incur in the course of collecting and distributing the money to charity organizations. I am willing to reward you for your assistance and kindness.

Kindly expedite action and contact me via e-mail: peterattah2007@yahoo.co.uk if this proposal is acceptable to you.

May the good Lord bless you and your family.

Best Regards,
Mr Peter Attah

N.B Contact me via e-mail: peterattah2007@yahoo.co.uk

But Wait There's More!

If you act immediately I will include a priceless collection of photographs of Mount Washington, New Hampshire.
Et tu, Brutus?

#305 ·
Here's the list so far;

DSX
Furby
NJ_Ray
Lqaddict
Napoleon
BoltjaM3s
Captainaudio
ProfessorCook
AnotherGeezer
Nordic Kat and TopKat
Bob Green (yes, that Bob Green)
Bimmerfest Muckety Muck (Possible)
Angler and Vanna
ThunderDump
Bimmerdiesel
///M-rated
LastSight
Kamdog
Zeichen
kvcicca
NHman
Fryed
Bemo
EdCT
jmh

That's 25 cars and counting.

Possible; Hot|Ice

#306 · (Edited)
How long did it take you to rework the list to achieve the wave like symmetry?

#314 ·
Hello All,
It is with a sad heart that I will not be able to attend this year. The brand spanking new BMW, being custom built just for me (TrueStatus®), will be picked up in Germany, on May 10 with a drop off of May 17. Unfortunately with 10 week delivery (PDC), it will not be possible to get it in time for C2C. I was really looking forward to attending this year, and leading the Performance group on Bear Notch :(

DSX -> You get to keep your leadership spot this year!

I will still be assisting CA with the charitable portion, and will look forward to attending next year.

Furball

#315 ·
Hello All,
It is with a sad heart that I will not be able to attend this year. The brand spanking new BMW, being custom built just for me (TrueStatus®), will be picked up in Germany, on May 10 with a drop off of May 17. Unfortunately with 10 week delivery (PDC), it will not be possible to get it in time for C2C. I was really looking forward to attending this year, and leading the Performance group on Bear Notch :(
Oh, I know this feeling! I missed CTC1, as my car was on the boat at the time as well!

#329 ·
Hello All,
It is with a sad heart that I will not be able to attend this year. The brand spanking new BMW, being custom built just for me (TrueStatus®), will be picked up in Germany, on May 10 with a drop off of May 17. Unfortunately with 10 week delivery (PDC), it will not be possible to get it in time for C2C. I was really looking forward to attending this year, and leading the Performance group on Bear Notch

DSX -> You get to keep your leadership spot this year!

I will still be assisting CA with the charitable portion, and will look forward to attending next year.

Furball
Yes!

And look whose got the only F30 on top of Old Smokey now.

BJ

#330 ·
Yes!

And look whose got the only F30 on top of Old Smokey now.

BJ
This is an educated, erudite group. A ten-place penalty in the driving lineup may be imposed for sloppy grammar. Sorry, you'll have to appeal to the event stewards.

:angel:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.