BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Climb to the Clouds 5, June 29 in the White Mountains of NH

135K views 1K replies 48 participants last post by  Bemo 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

Official Website of Bimmerfester's Climb to the Clouds http://www.climbtotheclouds.org/index.htm

On June 29 Bimmerfesters driving any BMW model will meet for our fifth annual tour of the White Mountains! The 'high point' of the day will be an ascent of Mt. Washington (it's the "Climb to the Clouds"). It's possibly the most intense drive opportunity east of Pike's Peak. Braving a seven mile long, steeply twisting road without guardrails, with spectacular views in occasionally very challenging weather will be an adventure you'll not soon forget.

Along the way we'll cross a covered bridge, possibly dodge a moose or two, tour the Kancamagus Highway (a US Scenic Byway), and experience Bear Notch Road -the condensed Dragon's Tail of NH.

We are looking into a BBQ lunch at the MWAR base lodge this year, and adding to the tour for CtoC vets who might want to get a look at a waterfall or The Flume Gorge. Details to follow later as we check things out.

We'll wrap it up with old and new friends meeting for a banquet at a country inn. This year we'll revisit the Woodstock Inn Station and Brewery which has undergone major expansion and renovation with an all new banquet room downstairs.

As we have in years past, following dinner we'll have an auction to raise a donation for charity. We have supported Susan G Komen for the Cure, and Voluntary Services Overseas. This year we have selected Survive the Drive to support. I'll leave it to Captainaudio to describe the wonderful work they do to educate youngsters in the critical skills of road safety. Bimmerfest members have been very generous in the past, both in donations for the auction, and the bidding on the items up for auction. Suffice to say, the auction is a fun and fitting end to the day.

If you'd like to get some sense of what this is all about, here's a link to last year's thread for CtoC4. Take a look at the photos and read the comments. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607948&highlight=

Here are the URL's for the sights we'll see, and a Google Map of the tour and meeting points.

This Google Map was used in previous tours and will be modified for some new scenery this year. All the highlights will remain, but there'll be some new roads of interest to the veterans.
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msi...1.430358,2.763062&iwloc=00046ab6b4cc4f3bf3dc1

The Omni Mount Washington Resort:
http://www.omnihotels.com/FindAHotel/BrettonWoodsMountWashington.aspx
"As grand as the history behind it, the Omni Mount Washington Hotel, located in Bretton Woods, New Hampshire, is gracious in ambiance and generous in amenities. A favorite New England retreat of presidents, poets and celebrities, the hotel delights every sense with enchanting music, refined dining and luxurious décor."

The Mount Washington Auto Road:
http://mtwashingtonautoroad.com/
"The timeless and dramatic beauty of the Presidential Range and the Northeast's highest peak is yours to enjoy with a comfortable SnowCoach ride up to treeline on the Mt. Washington Auto Road. Our custom made SnowCoaches are the only vehicles that can take your whole family to this remarkable place-a place that will leave you with breathtaking memories (and pictures) that will be enjoyed for a lifetime. The SnowCoach on Mt. Washington is truly a one of a kind experience!"

The Mt. Washington summit observatory
http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/

The Kancamagus Highway:
http://www.kancamagushighway.com/
"The Kancamagus Highway is a 34.5 mile scenic drive along NH's Rt. 112 in Northern New Hampshire that is well known as one of the best Fall Foliage viewing areas in the country. The Kancamagus Highway is now designated an American Scenic Byway for its rich history, aesthetic beauty and culture."

We have a block of rooms reserved at a discounted rate at the Omni Mount Washington Report (Hotel Mount Washington)
Please contact the hotel and mention Bimmerfest Climb to the Clouds for the special discounted rates.

This year's entry fee of $30 per car, and all proceeds of the auction will go to Survive the Drive.
Although it is not a requirement all participants are encouraged to contribute items to the auction.
As usual souvenir "Swag Bags" with event postcards, window stickers, refrigerator magnets and other event memorabilia will be distributed to all participants along with official Climb to the Clouds name tags.

URL for the auction will be posted soon.

SurvivetheDrive®
Your Best Behind The Wheel: A Teen Driver Safety Program
http://www.survivethedrive.org
Survive the Drive is an organization that promotes safe driving by teenagers and educates them on the consequences of unsafe driving practices. Survive the Drive was founded by Bob Green, Bob is an experienced racer, a Senior Skip Barber Racing School Instructor and drives the BMW M3 Pace Car at Lime Rock Park. Well known racers Sam Posey, Bob Sharp are on the board of directors of Survive the Drive as was the late John Fitch until his death last year.
This is a very worthy cause and is especially applicable to our event as it is automobile related and as many of the Climb to the Clouds participants are parents of young drivers.
SurvivetheDrive® is an independent, not-for-profit, educational organization educating drivers of all ages, particularly vulnerable and inexperienced teenage drivers, about the often hideous and everlasting results of inattentive driving.

The primary goal is to reach every newly or soon-to-be licensed teen (or adult) through the use of a multi-media presentation by Bob Green. He focuses the students on the detrimental activity of texting, reading, drinking, phoning and any other activities that remove conscious understanding of the ever-present operational hazards of heavy, moving equipment. Bob calls this type of driving 'Driving While Oblivious' (DWO) and results in driver error in 93% of all crashes. Past and present novice driver training and DMV driver testing results have been shown to have little deterrent effect on these crash rates.

SurvivetheDrive presentations can be scheduled as a single assembly or as an accompanying presentation that will focus on each student's competence and the desire to be their "Best Behind the Wheel."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=8Yd66ucjA8I

Don't miss out this year! It's unforgettable family rated fun with many options to custom tailor your weekend, or make it part of a vacation in the mountains.

Interested? Questions? Want to hang out with other Bimmerfesters who'll be Climbing to the Clouds? Then click on over to the Bimmerfest Social Group set up by Captainaudio. See you there!
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/group.php?do=discuss&group=&discussionid=71

Attachments

See less See more
#434 · (Edited)
BTW everyone. I figured out how I will class up the Welt...with my victory lap song. Full crank.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6-lByglwT8

By the time the rest of you head back to do the ED, realize there will be graffiti, drugs pushers, and drive by shootings. When you think back to where it all went down-hill, just think of the furball

#440 ·
Um, ahem, Furb.

You do realize that you are going to have to surpass this to "class up the Welt"?

#450 · (Edited)
#455 ·
Great,

I was hoping you would do that.

CA

#457 · (Edited)
Confirmed reservations so far.

1 ///M-rated
2 Adams_BMW
3 Angler
4 AnotherGeezer
5 Bemo
6 Bimmerdiesel
7 Cruisingbimmer
8 Bob Green
9 BoltJames
10 CaptainAudio
11 CherylDaws
12 DSXMachina
13 EdCT
14 Fryed
15 JimF
16 Johnny Roaster
17 JMH
18 KamDog
19 kvcicca
20 lqaddict
21 Mikenmass
22 Napoleon
23 NHMan
24 NJ_Ray
25 Nordic Kat
26 not_the_stig
27 Professor Cook
28 Thunder Dump
29 tmcgrew
30 Zeichen311

(Another 'possible' is Hot|Ice)
Based on experience in prior years this projects to 24 to 26 cars attending at this point.

#460 ·
#459 ·
This is a fine can of worms...advice needed! As you all know we always award a free M6 to the person travelling the longest distance to attend the event. Right now we have one 'Fester from Houston and one from Wichita who will be joining us. According to preliminary calculations, Houston is 66 more miles distant than Wichita, but that's by road. If you fly the great circle route the opposite may be true. What to do? Do we cut the M6 in half this year?

#461 ·
DSX,

As we have driven Houston to KC, and I know it to be more than 66 miles, I am not quite sure how you managed that calculation. However, based on the wisdom of Solomon, I would much rather you award the M6 to someone else than render it completely useless. I am quite content with my lowly 328i E93.

#471 · (Edited)
There still should be some rooms left at The Lodge at the Omni Resort.
You can call the Hotel at 603.278.1000 and tell them you are with the Bimmerfest group.

I just checked with the Omni and there are two rooms available in the Bretton Arms and 3 Rooms available at The Lodge.
Our block is filling up fast so if you are interested you should book ASAP.

CA

#470 ·
Wow... Am I late to this party, eh? You miss a day or 400 of posts and this thing is up to 11 pages!

(Who are all these people?)

#474 ·
Thank you, guys. It's good to be back here among friends. 'Looks like I've got some reading to do if I'm to get up to date on some folks whose names I don't recognize.

My 328i E92 is still a sweet little car. 'Time to put the summers back on. (Finally!)

#475 ·
Top of the list...champion!

I will be submitting a BMW logoed "big girl's dress" to the auction list so Furby has something to wear at next year's event.

:flipoff:

#477 ·
Top of the list...champion!

I will be submitting a BMW logoed "big girl's dress" to the auction list so Furby has something to wear at next year's event.

:flipoff:
You happy that you got the champion ship belt huh? A paper champ. You won cause I ain't around to spank you. :spank:

Alright, then in spirits, here is an auction suggestion. A dress will be auctioned, if it makes at least $100, then ///M-Rated has to wear it at the top of the mountain. It's for charity, you know you want to do it!

Still trying to to work out my summer class session schedule and work schedule. I will update as soon as I can. :) I'm trying to graduate in two semesters. :D
Leave friday after classes.
Return sunday evening

Solved. You have problems, I have solutions.

Now when you say graduate in 2 semesters, you mean graduate school through some accelerated program?

#484 · (Edited)
Additional Mount Washington Lodging

There are only a few rooms left at the Omni Mount Washngton Resort but we have secured an additional block of rooms at Carlson's Lodge which is five minutes down the road. When you call to book be sure to mention Bimmerfest Climb to the Clouds.

http://www.carlsonslodge.com

800-358-5502

Several have already book rooms at Carlson's.

Details about carlsons we be added to the web site later today.

CA

#496 · (Edited)
This is the latest list.

This list will be regularly updated on the signup/contact page of the Climb to The Clouds Five web site at:
http://www.climbtotheclouds.org

I need info from the attendees. You can send me a PM or send an email to info@climbtotheclouds.org

1. Your Bimmerfest Screen Name
2. How many are in your party?
3. What are their names? (I need this so I can make up name tags - I only need first names.)
4.Which day are you attending?
5. Where are you staying?
6. What is your email address? (So we can establish a mailing list. We can only send a PM to 5 people at a time and this gets cumbersome with 30+ people committed so far.)

Thanks,

CA

#499 · (Edited)
Auction Items

Auction items for C2C5

Send pictures and descriptions (including size if it is apparel, and the starting bid and "Buy it now" price) to info@climbtotheclouds.org.

As I receive the information I will post it on the web site.

CA

#503 ·
Napoleon is one of the five monkeys left standing at the inaugural C2C...I guess it is C2C1 now. DSX, Napoleon, ProfessorCook, nhman and myself. Captainaudio was there in spirit if not in body. We all discovered that we had no friends and no where to go on a Saturday...so we sat down and had dinner. It quickly became apparent why DSX had no friends - who causes a ruckus over a hamburger in a place like that???? We figured we needed DSX to organize future trips, so we let him stay.

#505 ·
You are now officially a member of the "C2C Repeat Offenders" group.

CA

#511 ·
You know when your ED is? Look, ol' boy, there are things you can do... things you can take. If she loves you, it'll all be fine.

#513 · (Edited)
This event seems to be getting bigger and better each year!

I am picking up a new toy, a 2001 BMW Z8, next week and if my schedule permits my wife and I would like to attend. There is a possibility that I will be in Japan that weekend but if I am home we will be there.

#514 ·

I am picking up a new toy, a 2001 BMW Z8, next week and if my schedule permits my wife and I would like to attend. There is a possibility that I will be in Japan that weekend but if I am home we will be there.
You should auction off the Z8 to survivethedrive fund raiser that will be held during this event :))))

#515 ·

US, we've gotten that 'next year for sure!' line for a few years. It's next year now. Unless your Japan trip involves a visit with the Emperor, or a gaggle of geishas, there just can't be any excuse.
However, if you can't make it, can you send someone with the Z8?

#530 ·

Whilst taking photos of the exclusive head up display in the 2013 BMW L328i, a Z8 crossed my path and I captured it just before stomping on all 4 turbo-charged cylinders and leaving him in the dust.

BJ
Pure day-dreaming...the HUD is clearly indicating that you are pretty close to the top speed of a 328xi.

#521 ·
Just thought I would share the rig I will be using the C2C5 weekend...I think I have all bases covered in terms of fun...[there's a Rolax collection in the RV out of picture]

#523 · (Edited)
Is that needed in case your car breaks? I thought the only princess in that relationship was you.

#525 ·
I can't wait to see the video of that rig and trailer keeping up through the twisties of Bear Notch Road!

DSX, will you explain that whole "center of gravity" thing to me again, please?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.