BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Another 328 and ATS head to head, this time AWD

62K views 76 replies 26 participants last post by  Bratters123 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
BMW 328i xDrive vs Cadillac ATS 2.0T AWD

If you***8217;re looking for a comfortable, luxurious, and prestigious car, the BMW has the edge, but if you***8217;re looking for a personal driving machine, the ATS leaps out in front. For my money and for my requirements, I***8217;d be buying the BMW. It***8217;s still a sport sedan even though it never made me smile like the ATS did. But somehow I ended up with a wife and three kids, and I absolutely need the added utility and space the BMW offers.

http://www.autos.ca/car-comparisons...-328i-xdrive-vs-2013-cadillac-ats-2-0t-awd/5/

Not too surprising. I am hoping BMW makes some changes, at least for the sport trims.

#2 ·
Testing AWD models in Canada and all he could come up with is one three sentence paragraph and not the slightest bit of actual performance or technical comparison.

#9 · (Edited)
Yeah, I went to the beginning and read the whole article to find those three sentences.

Outside of bragging rights performance specs matter little for 99% of the drivers. These are AWD midsize sedans afterall. IJS.

Sent from my MB525 using Bimmer App
I was referring to some comparison of the AWD performance.

#8 ·
The xdrive automatically means the wafty base suspension. When going up against an ATS or E90, its not a great way of starting off in the f30s favor.

#12 ·
Yeah, not a fan. You can add DHP to an xDrive, but that is not the same as just having a normal sports pack xdrive like the olden days.

#13 ·
This is sad that anyone would come to this conclusion about any BMW versus a Cadillac of all cars: "if you’re looking for a comfortable, luxurious, and prestigious car, the BMW has the edge, but if you’re looking for a personal driving machine, the ATS leaps out in front".

I know, I know - the writer does not know what he's talking about; the writer clearly does not know anything about cars; who is this guy?; and, I'm a troll, even though I'm on my 6th BMW.

#18 ·
This is sad that anyone would come to this conclusion about any BMW versus a Cadillac of all cars: "if you're looking for a comfortable, luxurious, and prestigious car, the BMW has the edge, but if you're looking for a personal driving machine, the ATS leaps out in front".

I know, I know - the writer does not know what he's talking about; the writer clearly does not know anything about cars; who is this guy?; and, I'm a troll, even though I'm on my 6th BMW.
Get over it.

#26 ·
Mrs. Audio always has input on car purchases and I would never buy a car that she didn't like. If it was totally up to her we would be driving an Aston Martin Rapide or a Bentley Continental Coupe.

CA

#29 ·
This issue has come up before, but I definitely agree with 408racer that the elimination of the oil dipstick was one of the stupidest things BMW ever did. Hooking everything up to a computer is not always a good idea. There have been any number of comments posted on this and other boards about the oil sensor not always being accurate, so that it is easily possible to overfill the crankcase. I tested this on my E90 and found that when I changed my oil, I could put in less than six quarts (not even the seven recommneded) and the computer read "full". Dipsticks are cheap and reliable. BMW ought to bring them back. And for those arguing that many buyers don't check their oil - right - and they probably don't scroll through their maintenance function on iDrive either. Give us a dipstick.

#38 ·
I find the electronic dipstick very convenient. I'm glad BMW went this direction. I do not want to get my hands dirty checking the oil when driving a high end luxury car. It also tells me when its time to add 1 qt. of oil. How hard is that to do?

I think many people do not understand HOW TO USE the electronic dipstick so they think it sucks. You have to drive the car and let the oil warm up. Then you park it on a level surface and reset the system so it takes a fresh reading. Its like so many of you are stuck in the 80s or 90s or something. Technology is our friend. Embrace it.

This is the same whiney comparisons I hear all the time from people who want to row their own gears. Sure its fun and nostalgic, but I love the F1 factor and precise rev matched gear changes of SMG and DCT. And when you are tired after a long day or work or stuck in traffic, you put it in auto mode and sit back and enjoy the music or conversation. It doesn't make you any less of an enthusiast. But yet you hear all these "purist" say how they need a stick or the car isn't sporty enough. Give me a break.

#30 ·
Have not visited the Cadillac ATS forums for awhile, decided to take a peek. What struck me was, there are many young ATS drivers there comparing their aftermarket tunes for their 2.0Ts, and over here mostly older drivers discussing fuel economy and comfort. Sign of time I suppose.

#33 ·
We saw a black ATS at the zoo this weekend, and my wife’s comment was “How come all the Cadillac drivers look like wife beaters?” :D

Car looked great actually, very low and wide, looks much better in black.

#36 ·
I test drove the ATS 3 weeks ago. The 3 Series blows it away. Sure the Cadillac has come a long way, but I don't understand how anyone would think it handles better than a 3. It doesn't feel the road better, nor corner better and certainly it doesn't reach the fun to drive factor.

I also have trouble getting over the fact that Cadillac's traditionally attract the 70+ year old crowd. My local Cadillac dealer is run by a bunch of stereotypical New Jersey unprofessionals- think Sopranos wash outs. Terrible dealer.

Coming from Japanese cars I have to say that the 3 series xdrive is a blast to drive. Adding DHP to the driving experience keeps me smiling. Since I live in the northeast mountains I won't buy a non-AWD vehicle. For you folks that don't get snow you absolutely should buy RWD cars- they're even more fun to drive.

#37 ·
I test drove the ATS 3 weeks ago. The 3 Series blows it away. Sure the Cadillac has come a long way, but I don't understand how anyone would think it handles better than a 3. It doesn't feel the road better, nor corner better and certainly it doesn't reach the fun to drive factor.

I also have trouble getting over the fact that Cadillac's traditionally attract the 70+ year old crowd. My local Cadillac dealer is run by a bunch of stereotypical New Jersey unprofessionals- think Sopranos wash outs. Terrible dealer.

Coming from Japanese cars I have to say that the 3 series xdrive is a blast to drive. Adding DHP to the driving experience keeps me smiling. Since I live in the northeast mountains I won't buy a non-AWD vehicle. For you folks that don't get snow you absolutely should buy RWD cars- they're even more fun to drive.
The ATS has softer steering, although very precise, the power deliveries and fuel efficiency also are short of those of F30s. But there is consensus the ATS chassis is better tuned for spirited driving.

The 3.6 v6 was a ton of fun, a must if one chooses ATS IMHO.

#63 ·
+1

Truly accomplished track/ race drivers are interested in going fast. Heel and toe is merely a tool with no more thrill attached than putting on safety gear. They can do this in their sleep. If an AT tranny can do it better (it can) they are first in line to get one.

#64 ·
If you're getting paid to race of course you want a DCT, but not true for amateurs. Look at all the Miata track cars.

#75 ·
I think that the abrupt shifts give the impression of fast shifts to a lot of people. I spoke to Davy Jones at a Jaguar event and we were in an XKR-S with a ZF Automatic which shifted very fast and very smoothly. He mentioned that he had just tested a Lamborghini Aventador and felt that the transmission shifted too abruptly and unsettled the car.

Bottom line is smooth is fast and abrupt is slow.

CA

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.