What do you want to know about the F34 3 Series GT - Hands on opportunity

by Tim Jones on March 14, 2013, 11:35 am
BMW F34 3 series GT

The F34 3 Series Gran Turismo makes its US debut at the New York Auto show in a few weeks and Bimmerfest.com will be on hand to give you a hands on review of the 3 GT.

BMW first redefined the Gran Turismo segment with the BMW 5 Series GT by adding first-class seating for four with space for luggage and now introduces the BMW 3 Series Gran Turismo. Based on the iconic BMW 3 Series, a car that has appeared on "Car and Driver's" 10 Best list for 22 consecutive years, the 3 Series GT features a longer wheelbase, more rear seat room and flexible luggage space with an optional panoramic moonroof. The 3 Series GT will arrive in the U.S. this summer and will be available with either an award-winning TwinPower Turbo 4 cylinder or inline 6-cylinder engine.

Read more about the 3 Series Gran Turismo

We will be photographing, inspecting, touching, and taking in the 3 GT hands on. What do you want to know about the 3 Series GT that we can answer for you in person?
2014-BMW-3-Series-Gran-Turismo-F34 12014-BMW-3-Series-Gran-Turismo-F34 22014-BMW-3-Series-Gran-Turismo-F34 32014-BMW-3-Series-Gran-Turismo-F34 42014-BMW-3-Series-Gran-Turismo-F34 52014-BMW-3-Series-Gran-Turismo-F34 62014-BMW-3-Series-Gran-Turismo-F34 72014-BMW-3-Series-Gran-Turismo-F34 82014-BMW-3-Series-Gran-Turismo-F34 92014-BMW-3-Series-Gran-Turismo-F34 102014-BMW-3-Series-Gran-Turismo-F34 112014-BMW-3-Series-Gran-Turismo-F34 12

Leave a Comment

You must be a registered member to comment on stories. Please take a moment to register for your free account now. If you already have an account, log in using fields below.

23 responses to What do you want to know about the F34 3 Series GT - Hands on opportunity

mohrgan commented:
March 14, 2013, 11:39 am

Nothing.
bobkat09 commented:
March 14, 2013, 12:15 pm

Will it be available with X-Drive?
Jamesonsviggen commented:
March 14, 2013, 2:44 pm

You know the trim finisher on the dash, silver, black, red or blue depending on "line"? Well the GT has it extend onto the door trim as well. I want to know if they fit the F30. I know it's a 1 out of 100 shot that someone will actually know the answer lol.
ynguldyn commented:
March 14, 2013, 4:23 pm

(You mean F34 GT, right?)

My request:

1. Find the top BMW NA marketing guy.
2. Tie him up.
3. Don't let him go until he tells BMW AG to start shipping RWD F31 and/or F34 here.
4. Bonus points if he also requests manual transmission.
tim330i commented:
March 14, 2013, 4:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
(You mean F34 GT, right?)

My request:

1. Find the top BMW NA marketing guy.
2. Tie him up.
3. Don't let him go until he tells BMW AG to start shipping RWD F31 and/or F34 here.
4. Bonus points if he also requests manual transmission.
Yes, good catch. I was thinking about the F36 4 Series Gran Coupe spy pictures we just got. I updated the OP, thanks.

I will see what I can do about 1-4 while in NY
Kamdog commented:
March 14, 2013, 4:37 pm

What I want to know is, do you have any free passes?
m8o commented:
March 14, 2013, 4:47 pm

Hi, thanx for asking...

All I guess I care to know is how much does it actually weigh (and with which engine and drivetrain)? Seems like it will be heavier than the F31; is it?

Would be curious to know who is behind this whole GT story-arch thing and why TPTB [the powers that be] @ BMW are sticking with it? Reminds me of the new characters TPTB for the TV show Lost brought on thinking it would be a refreshing break from the handful of characters we'd taken deep dives into the lives of over a few years ... but soon killed them off after viewers/fans actually revolted over them. TPTB of Lost were smart enough to do that ... why isn't BMW?
mohrgan commented:
March 14, 2013, 9:38 pm

Look at the # of posts on the 328 diesel vs. this abomination. BMW, please take notice.
mark_12345 commented:
March 14, 2013, 10:54 pm

PLEASE BMW... The GT series (3 and 5 series) are hideous. You already have the wagon, sedan, coupe and CUV.
From every angle this thing looks like a blinged out Pontiac Aztec. :-(
dwlink commented:
March 15, 2013, 7:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_12345 View Post
PLEASE BMW... The GT series (3 and 5 series) are hideous. You already have the wagon, sedan, coupe and CUV.
I would certainly prefer the GT in lieu of a wagon, but I think both those types of body styles absolutely suck. Add in the X1 and you just have an absolute mess of crap between that, the 3GT, and the wagon.

Wonder why BMW's CTO is cracking the whip so hard on developing so many overlapping vehicles. Ultimately, this will mean higher prices for the more mainstream models to offset under-performing sales on these ugly, segment-overlapping derivative models.

BMW needs to refocus their competitive strategy before their margins get blown out of the water.
LINewYork commented:
March 15, 2013, 8:36 am

Will the US get a 328 GT with 6MT?
ErnestHouse commented:
March 15, 2013, 4:00 pm

Will it have the upgraded Navi with 3D maps? Google search by voice? Touch pad for handwriting gestures?

Will the hatch lower via the foot wave? The FOB? The cockpit?

Can a small hitch be added for bike racks?
ErnestHouse commented:
March 15, 2013, 4:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_12345 View Post
Doesn't require much of a discerning eye to see how wrong that statement is:
Byron Walter commented:
March 16, 2013, 5:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestHouse View Post
Doesn't require much of a discerning eye to see how wrong that statement is:
So true. The Aztek looks much better

The Aztek is classic one of a kind jumble of fantastic geometric shapes coming together in such a manner that it would have made a great prop on the original Star Trek series. I can see Captain Kirk disembarking now.

And some Azteks even came with a built in tent which means one car could be both your ride and your summer home. What more could you possibly want?

The new BMW 3 GT will forever be in the shadow of the mighty Aztek.
ErnestHouse commented:
March 16, 2013, 6:10 pm

Speaking of shadows, the sun sure has set on Pontiac and it's mighty Aztek.
dan-kc commented:
March 16, 2013, 10:45 pm

will it be offered with a diesel? does the high rear not look good? does the trunk space look really big? how do the looks compare with the sedan? i don't see what everyone else is seeing when they say it looks ugly like an aztec. to me it looks like a coupe that is beefed up like an "all-road".
LINewYork commented:
March 17, 2013, 5:05 pm

Motor Trend is reporting that the 3GT will only be available with an automatic transmission in the US. BMW is quickly making a dinosaur of the 6MT.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...k/viewall.html
tturedraider commented:
March 17, 2013, 5:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINewYork View Post
Motor Trend is reporting that the 3GT will only be available with an automatic transmission in the US. BMW is quickly making a dinosaur of the 6MT.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...k/viewall.html
Well, like all businesses, BMWNA offers what their market votes for with their wallets. BMWNA continues to offer MTs in their most driving enthusiast oriented vehicles where there continues to be sufficient demand to be somewhat profitable or at least minimize losses so that they do not alienate those customers. As always, it's a balancing act. Americans don't buy MTs and while North America is a large market for BMW, overall it represents only around 20% or less of their worldwide market.
nathand commented:
March 17, 2013, 6:04 pm

It's a nice looking car. In videos it looks even better than still photos.

http://youtu.be/ucgeq2UOGdA

http://youtu.be/nChW4OSg9Yc
LINewYork commented:
March 17, 2013, 6:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Well, like all businesses, BMWNA offers what their market votes for with their wallets. BMWNA continues to offer MTs in their most driving enthusiast oriented vehicles where there continues to be sufficient demand to be somewhat profitable or at least minimize losses so that they do not alienate those customers. As always, it's a balancing act. Americans don't buy MTs and while North America is a large market for BMW, overall it represents only around 20% or less of their worldwide market.

I understand BMW motives, especially in the US where a lot of BMW's are leased. Dealers have a hard time selling MT lease returns.

I need a replacement vehicle in Sept 2013, I was looking forward to seeing the 3 GT and 328d at the New York auto show. With no MT I will not buy. Looks like I will have to go with the 328 sedan. If I have to settle for an AT I will expand my search beyond BMW.
sf_loft commented:
March 17, 2013, 8:43 pm

The look is growing on me. I like how they beefed up the front-end compared to the malnourished looking F30's. The only downside is the added weight and longer wheelbase which will affect performance a tad bit. We'll see if they come out with an M3 GT version to make it interesting.
newclass commented:
March 18, 2013, 11:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_loft View Post
The look is growing on me. I like how they beefed up the front-end compared to the malnourished looking F30's. The only downside is the added weight and longer wheelbase which will affect performance a tad bit. We'll see if they come out with an M3 GT version to make it interesting.
I agree about the front end. As for the extra weight, I look at it as a safety benefit in case of collision.
GTitis2013 commented:
March 21, 2013, 7:53 am

Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder, but aesthetics aside it looks like some people do not get what this car is about.

The F34 is not an internal F30 competitor but instead caters to people like me who wouldn't consider buying a 3 series sedan, despite liking the F30 design (but too small, too ubiquitous). If I wanted serious handling and performance I would save up for an M3/M4. However, for those who want both reasonable drivability and space for a family (which I assume many in this price bracket will), but don't want an SUV or wagon the GT I think is a great option.

I will need to see it in person, but thus far I'm impressed.