Latest 2 Series Gran Coupe Rendering - What Do You Think?

by Bimmerfest.com Member - Chris90 on March 22, 2013, 10:27 am
BMW 2 series gran coupe

New rendering. Looks ok, but I hate the GTs, and the back looks kind of GT-ish. Would have to see the back end.

7 responses to Latest 2 Series Gran Coupe Rendering - What Do You Think?

iamthewalrus commented:
March 22, 2013, 11:15 am

I know it's just a rendering, but I like it! The trouble with the 1 and 2 series is the overall dimensions. In order to fit the longitudinally mounted engine (whether 4 or 6) the front hood has to be very long. In order to keep the overall size small (and smaller than a 3 series), the back seat is compromised. Compared a 1-series to a VW GTI and it's obvious. The VW's transversely mounted engine means the hood is shorter and the back seat is much more generous for the same overall length. I think this is what's forcing BMW to consider a front-wheel drive 1 and 2 series going forward.
Don't get me wrong, that long BMW hood looks great on the Z4, Z8, 7-series, etc. But it's inconsistent with a compact, urban car.

-James
Seattle, WA
bmw325 commented:
March 22, 2013, 11:59 am

I like it too. and it looks like the most plausible rendering of the 2 series front-end that I've seen yet. It keeps the overall proportions of the 1 series front-end but updates the front fascia in an appealing way. Not going to get my hopes up though, cause there's a long history of BMW renderings that look way better than the actual thing. It'll look maybe 80% like this but then they'll do something weird that leaves you scratching your head. In my mind this car is going to be a modern e46..which is exactly what i've been looking for. I'll just be happy if the headlights aren't too weird and it doesn't have that porpoise head hood shape from the F30 (can't tell if the F20 has that from pics). There are no other appealing choices out there so this car will have to really suck for me to not buy it. Sad but true.

James- I agree that a transverse mounted engine and shorter hood provides greater packaging efficiency. But I still like the looks of cars with long hoods and short rear decks regardless of the size (after all a Z4 is even smaller than this car will be).
SilverX3 commented:
March 22, 2013, 3:18 pm

so every BM model will have

sedan
coupe
GT
convertible

????

are they copying Audi
SilverX3 commented:
March 22, 2013, 5:25 pm

So BMW respond to Cla with this
pony_trekker commented:
March 23, 2013, 7:45 am

Hawt
jzcrna commented:
March 23, 2013, 10:39 am

Do we have a production date?Love the gran coupe!! I have 18 months left on my F30.
mzzz commented:
March 23, 2013, 3:25 pm

Agreed, kinda has the GT-ish look @ rear. However, I do want the 4 doors in a coupe-ish flavor. I like the smaller 2 over the 4. Hoping the real deal does look decent from the back.

If the motor is an inline4, I'll just keep the N54 135 too, along with the 2xx. Oh well, I just keep my cars 'tll the wheels fall off.