2014 6 Series Model Year Updates include Frozen Brilliant White, xDrive Gran Coupe and more

by Mark Jurista on March 25, 2013, 10:30 am
2014 BMW 6 Series Frozen Brilliant White Convertible

The BMW 6 Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe models will enter the 2014 model year with a stronger line-up than ever, thanks to new enhancements and a limited edition of the Convertible model sure to make heads turn.

Limited to only 100 copies, the new 2014 BMW 6 Series Convertible Frozen Brilliant White Edition will be produced in April and early May, 2013, and will be instantly recognizable both inside and out. Available as a rear-wheel drive 650i, or 650i xDrive model featuring BMW's intelligent all-wheel drive system, the Frozen Brilliant White Edition will have a starting MSRP of $106,695 and 110,095, respectively (prices include $895 Destination & Handling), and will arrive at Authorized BMW Centers this May. Contents signature to the Edition include BMW Individual Frozen Brilliant White Metallic exterior matte paint, Frozen Black wing mirror caps, black BMW kidney grilles, and 20-inch bi-color Ferric Gray / gloss-turned BMW M Performance light-alloy wheels.

Other 6 Series equipment specified to the Edition includes Black Nappa leather upholstery, a black Convertible soft top, and Gray Poplar wood trim. The M Sport Package and Executive Package are also included, and xDrive models will benefit from the Cold Weather Package.

Additionally, the BMW 6 Series Convertible Frozen Brilliant White Edition will mark the US-debut of BMW's new Dynamic Digital Instrument Cluster, which allows the "personality" and presentation of the car's instrumentation to change substantially with each of the various BMW Driving Dynamics Control modes.

2014 BMW 6 Series Frozen Brilliant White Convertible

All 2014 BMW 6 Series models receive the latest BMW iDrive version 4.2

2014 640i Gran Coupe now available with xDrive all-wheel drive

The 640i, 650i, and M6 models become the latest models to benefit from the latest-generation HMI, BMW iDrive 4.2. BMW navigation system which features a revised design and honed operating system. All 2014 BMW 6 Series models except M6 feature BMW's superb 8-speed automatic transmission and are available with xDrive, BMW's intelligent all-wheel drive system. BMW xDrive will be available on the 2014 640i Gran Coupe, joining other 640i and 650i Gran Coupe models available with xDrive.

BMW's iDrive4.2. Display and control in the third dimension.
The newest BMW navigation system features a revised design and honed operating system. The menu-driven navigation system has been augmented by new functions. The user interface includes revised graphics and now comprises 3D elements, while the entire architecture of the individual menus is now presented in virtual, three dimensional spaces. Its 1.3 GHz processor and dedicated 3D graphics card, bring new levels of animation and dynamic transitions.
Along with the menu presentation, the navigation displays have been revised and enhanced. The map displays and guidance information are now depicted with even greater brilliance and sharpness than before. Additional function bars allow the map view to be customized quickly and simply without having to leave the map. The new function bars are superimposed as an extension of the original map bar and open up additional options. This allows for Real Time Traffic Information (RTTI) or weather updates to be superimposed, points-of-interest to be displayed, or the map to be quickly switched from top view to perspective view. Standardization of the control bars in the multimedia sphere facilitates operation of a wide range of audio sources.

The Pie menu: greater operating convenience at a click.
The interactive map view also comes with the option of selecting special functions directly from the map. Using the iDrive Controller, the driver can mark a spot in the interactive map to open the Pie menu. This radial menu offers quick and easy access to a host of options. Depending on the information stored, the driver can have points-of-interest in the area flagged, read up on any stored details, start navigation to any of the points-of-interest, alter the map view and have the current location or destination displayed. If further information on a point-of-interest – such as the telephone number – is also stored, the driver can instantly access it and make a call.

Split-screen display with more detailed guidance views.
The split screen in the central information display also adds newfunctions. While entering the destination byselecting the state, city and road, the chosen location is also displayed in the map view on the split screen. The zoom functioncan be used to verify whether the destination shown in the relevant section of the map is the intended one.
For the navigation process itself, the familiar arrow guidance in the split screen has now been joined by a high-level guidance feature. This is automatically activated when the driver reaches a certain point ahead of the next navigation instruction. From a specified distance, which varies according to the category of road, the arrow display turns into a schematic, perspective view of the surroundings. This gives the driver even better orientation thanks to an enhanced depiction of the location and precise lane guidance. For an optimal picture, the perspective view changes in stages to a top view of the junction or intersection as the vehicle approaches it, while a dynamic vehicle indicator pinpoints the car's current position.

The new 3D city model offers another view of select cities to aid navigation. If the 3D representation is available, a highly realistic depiction of the surrounding streets and buildings makes it easier for the driver to find their way around.

The mobile office: dictation function, voice memos and voice control.
The latest-generation navigation system features a full speech recognition function and optimized voice control system to complete the portfolio of office functions offered by BMW ConnectedDrive as BMW. The full speech recognition system now includes the dictation function which gives drivers the opportunity to dictate text freely and compose short text-based messages simply by saying what they wish to write. Just a few seconds after dictation has been completed, the transcribed text appears in the display and can be read out if desired. Drivers also have a number of simple-to-use, speech-based editing tools available to them for putting the final touches to e-mails and SMS messages easily and, most importantly, safely. The multilingual system can recognize six languages including English and Spanish.
An additional speech-based option to enhance office functionality is voice memos which can be sent directly by email. The advantage to the driver is the ability to quickly store ideas or to-do items and send them to the relevant addressee(s) – without being distracted. The recorded memos can be stored on a USB stick for use outside the car.
The navigation system now allows additional menu functions to be called up through simplified voice commands. The system is able to recognize contact data irrespective of the format in which it is stored, and thus independently of first name and surname order. Additional submenu functions can now be activated or actions specified by speech input – from adjusting the radio and entering a destination to changing the route criteria. Voice control is becoming even easier to use.

Rounding off the new office functions is the enhanced facility for simultaneously pairing two phones to the car at the same time. The contact data of both phones are now transferred to a shared list which is then available for making phone calls and sending emails. High-performance hardware means that calendar and contact information is displayed without delay, ensuring that both telephones are quickly ready for wide-ranging use in the vehicle.

Leave a Comment

You must be a registered member to comment on stories. Please take a moment to register for your free account now. If you already have an account, log in using fields below.

16 responses to 2014 6 Series Model Year Updates include Frozen Brilliant White, xDrive Gran Coupe and more

mrjoed2 commented:
March 25, 2013, 10:39 am

Great info.

Now all I need to know is the soft close trunk added to the Exec pkg for '14 !!
ShakeDaddy commented:
March 25, 2013, 2:11 pm

Could really care less.

The 4.2 version is a feature I'm never ever going to miss.
mrjoed2 commented:
March 25, 2013, 2:32 pm

It is undeniably a improvement however. Who would not want faster processing, 3D graphics, bigger hard drive, better voice recognition, integrated weather info, better bluetooth,ect. And the connected drive now has enhanced crash notification.
ShakeDaddy commented:
March 25, 2013, 2:49 pm

And you waited a year for that ??
mrjoed2 commented:
March 25, 2013, 4:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeDaddy View Post
And you waited a year for that ??
And the soft close trunk of course !! ( The digital dash as also mentioned in the article is supposed to be very cool also. I am not sure if it will be standard - not listed under options
in the BMWCONFIG info for '14.
dunderhi commented:
March 25, 2013, 4:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
It is undeniably a improvement however. Who would not want faster processing, 3D graphics, bigger hard drive, better voice recognition, integrated weather info, better bluetooth,ect. And the connected drive now has enhanced crash notification.
I knew about the '14 improvements coming in March and ordered a Feb car anyway, so I guess it wasn't on my must have list. So I chose to save $700 (assuming no further price increase for '14) instead. I did the same with my 5er and got it one month prior to the "must have" gauge cluster change. I didn't miss it on the 5er, so I don't think I will miss the new stuff on the 6er. After all, I'm not sure why I would want a bigger hard drive if I don't store anything on the current hard drive.
ShakeDaddy commented:
March 25, 2013, 5:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
I knew about the '14 improvements coming in March and ordered a Feb car anyway, so I guess it wasn't on my must have list. So I chose to save $700 (assuming no further price increase for '14) instead. I did the same with my 5er and got it one month prior to the "must have" gauge cluster change. I didn't miss it on the 5er, so I don't think I will miss the new stuff on the 6er. After all, I'm not sure why I would want a bigger hard drive if I don't store anything on the current hard drive.
Marketing has to have something to sing about.
mrjoed2 commented:
March 25, 2013, 5:33 pm

Quote:
No other price increases right now. A 2014 is the same price as the 2013 with the Jan $700 increase. Also need to keep in mind a '14 will have higher value down the road than a '13 ( as always with model years) so to get the new '14 features for $700 seems like a great deal to me. And as a computer guy, you can never have a big enough hard drive, or RAM or faster processor. It does allow BMW to offer more features, map detail ect as they take up ever increasing HD space.
Hofstet commented:
March 25, 2013, 6:40 pm

No other price increases right now. A 2014 is the same price as the 2013 with the Jan $700 increase. Also need to keep in mind a '14 will have higher value down the road than a '13
Only if the dollar doesn't depreciate, which is unlikely given the current economic climate.
southern6er22 commented:
March 25, 2013, 7:16 pm

Improvements? Yes.

Would I hold off right now to get them if I were currently in the market? Yes.

Would the improvements make my life or the 6er experience significantly better? Probably not - but the dynamic display and faster processor are appealing.

Last year at this time I was royally p!ssed about the 2013 upgrades, primarily the engine upgrade and the addition of soft-close doors. The absence of those two things does bother me.

As far as iDrive, I think they have finally nailed it for daily use. It is hardly cumbersome. Now it is just something that is there and works when I need it to. Truth be told, 90% of the time it stays on my iPod info and occasionally strays to a phone call or vehicle status. Linked with the iPhone send to vehicle app, the system does what it needs to do without any problems. Sure, I wouldn't turn down the new graphics, hardware, etc. - hell, I'd even pay extra for them just because - but I won't be losing sleep over not having graphics that I never look at anyway (thanks to the HUD).

The addition of the auto trunk or more hp/torque would get me excited. This simply seems like a response to Audi's system and BMW just trying to stay in the game rather than launching groundbreaking technology.
dunderhi commented:
March 25, 2013, 7:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
No other price increases right now. A 2014 is the same price as the 2013 with the Jan $700 increase. Also need to keep in mind a '14 will have higher value down the road than a '13 ( as always with model years) so to get the new '14 features for $700 seems like a great deal to me. And as a computer guy, you can never have a big enough hard drive, or RAM or faster processor. It does allow BMW to offer more features, map detail ect as they take up ever increasing HD space.
But I leased...

I'm a bit a computer geek myself, I just bought two AMD HD 7950 GPUs to run in CrossFire mode so that I can max out Crysis 3, but since automotive electronics are so outdated I just can't get into them. In the car, I don't store music, don't use Facebook, don't use voice commands, so pretty much all I use the NAV system for is traffic info, which in gray scale map is pretty good. The next step that I would want to see is linking into traffic cameras, so that I can see the real-time road conditions ahead. Other than that, I just don't see anything to get excited about. Just my opinion.
dunderhi commented:
March 25, 2013, 7:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
The addition of the auto trunk or more hp/torque would get me excited. This simply seems like a response to Audi's system and BMW just trying to stay in the game rather than launching groundbreaking technology.
I was more excited about putting on my BBS RGRs and my Midhelin PSS than figuring out the new electronic features on this car. Which is probably why I was pretty surprised when I saw a collision warning pop-up on the HUD while I was driving a wee bit aggressively. I had no idea the car had that feature.
ShakeDaddy commented:
March 26, 2013, 1:14 pm

Quote:
I was more excited about putting on my BBS RGRs and my Midhelin PSS than figuring out the new electronic features on this car.
Now that truely is something to wait for or get excited about. Can you share some thoughts on the Non-RF Pilot Super Sports?
dunderhi commented:
March 26, 2013, 8:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeDaddy View Post
Now that truely is something to wait for or get excited about. Can you share some thoughts on the Non-RF Pilot Super Sports?
Yes, buy them! They are the Summer tire of choice with the Fest's F10 community. They are pretty compliant offering up a decent amount of road feel and provide plenty of cornering grip. As with most tires they will get noisier with age as I am finding out right now, but I plan to swap them out in about three months or about 25kmi. I will replace mine with another set of PSS.
djsaad1 commented:
March 27, 2013, 1:18 am

In case someone really wants the new idrive, you can get it retrofitted. I am guessing it would cost a couple thousand though.

http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/elebest...e-elebest.html
haastx10 commented:
March 27, 2013, 2:56 pm

Nice!!! Love the new rims!!