BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW M Performance Power Kit Now Available for F30 3 Series 335i RWD and xDrive

31K views 62 replies 22 participants last post by  The Nerd 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
BMW M Performance Power Kit for the F30 335i

BMW announced a new M Performance Power Kit for the 2012 model year and later BMW 335i Sedan and 335i xDrive Sedan models. The M Performance Power Kit joins the existing M Performance Parts line which includes chassis, aerodynamics, exhaust system components, and trim accessories. Developed through consultation by the engineers at BMW M GmbH, the M Performance Power Kit is immediately available through all Authorized BMW Centers in the US, with MSRP starting at $1,100 (plus Installation) and retains BMW's 4-Year / 50,000-mile New Vehicle Warranty when purchased with a new vehicle.

Power Kit Highlights/Benefits
  • Horsepower increased to 320hp (20hp gain)
  • Torque is increased to 332 lb-ft (automatic transmission) and 317 lb-ft (manual transmission)
  • Faster acceleration
    • 0.2 seconds faster than the standard 335i model from 0 mph to 60 mph.
    • 0.5 seconds faster than the standard 335i model from 50 mph to 75 mph.
  • More dynamic accelerator pedal calibration in Sport Mode.
  • "Exhaust burble" sound during engine overrun conditions.
  • Sport Display now shows increased power figures to reflect increased performance. Adheres to rigorous BMW Group test standards.
    • Vehicles retain the original emission certification.
    • Vehicles maintain the original fuel efficiency ratings.
  • The vehicle's original BMW Limited Warranty is not affected.
    • 4 Year / 50K miles when purchased with the new vehicle
    • 2 years / unlimited miles or the balance of the new vehicle warranty, whichever is greater.
More Power. More Dynamic. More Emotion
Once the Power Kit is installed, the vehicle's rated horsepower is increased from 300 to 320 on all models. Automatic transmission-equipped models enjoy a 32 lb-ft peak torque increase (to 332 lb-ft), while manual transmission-equipped models benefit from a 17 lb-ft peak torque increase (to 317 lb-ft). All models receive a re-mapped accelerator pedal calibration for more dynamic throttle response, and the Power Kit produces a signature, highly-emotional "exhaust burble" sound during engine overrun conditions. 0-60mph acceleration is improved 0.2 seconds compared to standard 335i models, while 50-75mph times drop by a full half-second.

The BMW M Performance Power Kit features comprehensive engine tuning via advanced software 335i and 335i xDrive Sedan models. The kit includes updated software or replacement engine DME (electronic control unit), high-capacity engine air intake system, signature BMW M Performance engine cover, and rocker panel decals. This gives the 335i Sedan or 335i xDrive Sedan a substantial power boost (+20 horsepower) while retaining the original 50-state legal emissions certification and fuel efficiency ratings.

Installed with Confidence
The vehicle's original BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty is not affected by the installation of the M Performance Power Kit, and Kit components are covered under warranty for the duration of the original BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty (4 Years / 50,000 miles) if purchased at the time of new vehicle sale, or for 2 Years / unlimited miles if installed later.

See your local factory authorized BMW Center for additional details!

See less See more
#14 · (Edited)
They plug in a wire and write the software on it doesn't need to be done in Germany.

You can order it anytime and it will stay with the warranty for however much is left.

^I WOULD be taking it for power and sound. 20 hp and 32 torques isn't bad for $900...
Accounting for inertia its more like 17/27 I did the most lightweight Dinan [51/62] on my 335i and it was barely noticeable in the low/mid range and somewhat noticeable in the higher range. I think the benefit and possible feel you'll notice will come from the shift remapping that will probably get done.

#6 ·
Well, I guess Daddy needs a new pair of shoes ... :rofl:

Potential takers, this has all the looks of the exact same PPK BMW offered on E9x platform for N55 engine. If you are taking it for power ... hmm, rethink your options. Now, if you are getting for SOUND ... go for it! All the way. It is truly awesome.

#8 ·
Potential takers, this has all the looks of the exact same PPK BMW offered on E9x platform for N55 engine. If you are taking it for power ... hmm, rethink your options.
Can you elaborate for the less knowledgeable among us? $1,100 + installation for 20HP and keeping the warranty seems like a good deal to me if it's true. Is it?

#9 ·
Can you elaborate for the less knowledgeable among us? $1,100 + installation for 20HP and keeping the warranty seems like a good deal to me if it's true. Is it?
Guys, I will be completely honest with you. I couldn't detect ANY power surge or surplus or ... whatever after I installed the same PPK stage1 from BMW on my N55-engined 335i.

However, and a BIG however, I kept driving with windows open since 18 December 2011, the day I exited the dealership with PPK installed. I NEVER drove with windows down since I bought my first new car with AC in Europe back in 1995. I do drive this one with windows open when it's not raining and temps are between 35 and 90 F. The reason? Sound. OMG.

Yeah, that good.

If you search my nick and PPK on E9x forum, there's a thread with link to YouTube video I took with GoPro and external mic 2 inches from right exhaust pipe. Seeing/hearing is believing :)

#10 ·
Installed with Confidence
The vehicle's original BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty is not affected by the installation of the M Performance Power Kit, and Kit components are covered under warranty for the duration of the original BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty (4 Years / 50,000 miles) if purchased at the time of new vehicle sale, or for 2 Years / unlimited miles if installed later.
So this post says that the warranty is the balance of your original warranty or 2 years, whichever is greater. In other words, if you install it in year 1 of your warranty, you still have 3 years left. If you install it in year 4, you get 2 years warranty.

Anyone have the full story? I wouldn't mind having this but if I lose the full 4 year warranty I need to move quick to add it to my order.

#15 ·
Sooo...it's supposed to take 0.2 secs. of the 0-60 time. Let's see:

335i xDrive: 4.8s - 0.2s = 4.6s
M3 with double clutch: 4.5s

Wow, that's very close..:thumbup:

#16 ·
signature BMW M Performance engine cover, and rocker panel decals.
So these will be the cosmetical changes? Did BMW also release some images about that?

#19 ·
I like how a decent portion of your money goes to Decals and an engine cover. This is 90s VTEC grade stuff, yo!

BMW won't let the 335i come from the factory in any shape that would threaten the m3. So it's limiting the n55 engine's output. This engine is seeing 373 hp/400+ tq from dinan with just an oil cooler and intercooler and tune. And dinan is not exactly an aggressive tuner, offering factory warranty.

$1100 for this "upgrade" is a joke.

#20 ·
Dinan just dynoed the PPK on their dyno with a conservative estimate of nearly 377 tq, so it's actually pretty close to their tune.
Without overly aggressive boost bumps.

I'd say it's a pretty good upgrade that doesn't impact your warranty...kudos!

#23 ·
What is said "engine cover"?:dunno:

#28 ·
A few things:

1. That's an e90 n55 with M performance pack. My understanding to date is that the N55 in the f30 has shown very slightly lower performance (and is utilizing a different computer system anyway).

2. Dinan is saying the car showed 327 crank hp AFTER correcting for drivetrain loss and 355 torque. And he didn't do a baseline on that engine in the video. The N55 routinely observes ~320-330 crank torque stock.

So, in essence, Steve Dinan is saying that the M performance pack is adding ~20-25hp and 25-35 torque to the crank (bit less to the wheels) in this video.

Whereas he's offering a package that he says offers 70+ hp and 100+ torque to the crank.

It's important to understand all of this in context. Dinan is not saying the M performance pack is almost the same performance bump as his package.

#34 ·
A few things:

1. That's an e90 n55 with M performance pack. My understanding to date is that the N55 in the f30 has shown very slightly lower performance (and is utilizing a different computer system anyway).

2. Dinan is saying the car showed 327 crank hp AFTER correcting for drivetrain loss and 355 torque. And he didn't do a baseline on that engine in the video. The N55 routinely observes ~320-330 crank torque stock.

So, in essence, Steve Dinan is saying that the M performance pack is adding ~20-25hp and 25-35 torque to the crank (bit less to the wheels) in this video.

Whereas he's offering a package that he says offers 70+ hp and 100+ torque to the crank.

It's important to understand all of this in context. Dinan is not saying the M performance pack is almost the same performance bump as his package.
Lol now that makes sense I was like wtf I'm only getting 390 out of a Cobb tune+ fmic if that little ppk was at 377 crank I made a mistake lol. Glad someone posted the real numbers :)

#29 ·
With a 0-60 time of 4.7 (Motortrend), I don't know if its accurate to say the N55 in the f30 is performing less than in the e90. Furthermore....the description of the vid (by whoever originally posted it) said it was for the "2012+" N55 engine, so I thought it actually WAS the f30, no?

Good point on the baseline hp #s....that engine must be already pumping out 320hp, so the Power Pack doesn't seem to be adding too much....it's more of a substantial torque gain. Did Dinan's test include the exhaust?

Can't wait for the Dinan Stage 2 to come out for the f30 335i.

#33 ·
With a 0-60 time of 4.7 (Motortrend), I don't know if its accurate to say the N55 in the f30 is performing less than in the e90. Furthermore....the description of the vid (by whoever originally posted it) said it was for the "2012+" N55 engine, so I thought it actually WAS the f30, no?
0-60 times are B.S. - look at quarter mile trap speeds for an accurate indication. The f30 is a tad bit slower (I don't know why) fairly consistently. It's minor, but it's there.

If you watch the video, it's very clear they are testing an e90....so.....yes, it was NOT an f30 they tested.

As an FYI, the n55 in the e90 has a different ECU, fuel pump, oil pan, and starter than the f30. The engines are the same, but the computer is different which is an important distinction.

#39 ·
Hard to see how the 335i exhaust can sound any better than stock. it's perfect, NOW.

Wait for Dinan. The butt dyno will not feel this PPK increase.

#46 ·
Realize that the blown turbos are on the n54 too, which use two turbos that run very hot at all times. The n55 is a bit better in this regard and, of course, is only one turbo.

But also you get much better turbo life if you have good maintenance practices and WARM YOUR CAR UP properly. Alot of guys with e90s just started hammering on them while still cold and following BMW's factory maintenance schedule (i.e. 12-18k oil changes). That ain't good for turbo life.

#51 ·
Mark K's YouTube video sold me on it for exhaust alone. My e39 M5 had a SuperSprint exhaust and it just sounded like the skies were being ripped open - in a very good way. I wonder how much burble there is on overrun? That's something the Beast really excelled at.

I'm going to optimistically think that BMW was conservative in their performance numbers. i think I may hold off on their exhaust system, though, and see what Dinan and SuperSprint have to offer, as well. This is supposed to be a DD "family" car, so I can't go too crazy.

#55 ·
^Though I'm probably going to just wait for the f30 version of the Dinan Stage 2....if I were going to get the PPK, do I have to have high speed limiter (code 840?)? I thought I read somewhere that I needed the higher limiter....which if so, makes me even more upset that they weren't able to switch me to perf summer tires/high speed limiter when I was still at status 112 a few weeks ago.:(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.