The 3 Series Gran Turismo US Debut in New York!

by Tim Jones on March 27, 2013, 10:46 am

BMW is continuing to expand their model line up and the New York Auto Show is the first place in the United States that you have been able to see the 3 Series Gran Turismo model in person. The new BMW 3 Series Gran Turismo will arrive in the US, as both a 328i and a 335i, in the summer of 2013 as a 2014 model.

BMW 3 Series GT F34 at the New York Auto Show

See More Photos of the BMW 3 Series GT from the New York Auto Show

As we have mentioned before, we were as surprised as everyone else that BMW decided to bring another Gran Turismo model to the US market. In person though, the 3 Series GT gives off a totally different impression than what the 5 Series did and that is a good thing.

The 3 Series GT sits 7.9 inches longer and 3.2 inches taller than the 3 Series Sports Wagon version giving the driver a 4.3 inch longer wheelbase. The proportions keep you thinking it is a 3 Series when you see the car with some interesting additions like the active rear spoiler that reduces lift at highway speeds -- the first BMW to implement such a feature.

The Gran Turismo will come in the standard packaging for the 3 Series line-up including Sport, Luxury, Modern and M-Sport lines and aesthetics that match your chosen line. BMW has given the GT an exclusive set of colors including Kalahari Beige metallic, Midnight Blue metallic and Sparkling Brown metallic.

Read more about the 3 Series Gran Turismo
2014-BMW-328i-335i-GT 12014-BMW-328i-335i-GT 22014-BMW-328i-335i-GT 32014-BMW-328i-335i-GT 42014-BMW-328i-335i-GT 52014-BMW-328i-335i-GT 62014-BMW-328i-335i-GT 72014-BMW-328i-335i-GT 82014-BMW-328i-335i-GT 92014-BMW-328i-335i-GT 102014-BMW-328i-335i-GT 112014-BMW-328i-335i-GT 12

Leave a Comment

You must be a registered member to comment on stories. Please take a moment to register for your free account now. If you already have an account, log in using fields below.

16 responses to The 3 Series Gran Turismo US Debut in New York!

furby076 commented:
March 27, 2013, 10:51 am

Is it just me, or when you guys read this did you think "sweet new PlayStation game with BMW. I am so gonna drive the BMW over the other cars"
dms540i commented:
March 27, 2013, 8:04 pm

What does the boomerang do?
tim330i commented:
March 27, 2013, 8:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms540i View Post
What does the boomerang do?
The technical term is "air breather". It lets high pressure air out of the wheel well making the car more aerodynamic.

Tim
chris328 commented:
March 28, 2013, 8:21 am

it looks really bad as if it were tacked on there by some kid who got loose from his parents running around the convention floor.
ynguldyn commented:
March 28, 2013, 9:33 am

So, xDrive only or there's hope for RWD? Auto only or there's hope for manual?
mohrgan commented:
March 28, 2013, 9:51 am

Nice Ford Fiesta!
imkdd commented:
March 28, 2013, 4:27 pm

Not bad looking. You can definitely see the slightly larger proportions compared to the sedan, though that's not necessarily a positive as far as I'm concerned. However, I'd probably take this over the sedan to replace my 05 330i -- if a manual is offered. If not, no sale.
finaloption commented:
March 28, 2013, 4:36 pm

what are those 2 small holes below the side markers?
brkf commented:
March 28, 2013, 5:20 pm

Man, that takes a boring car (F30) and makes it resemble in another Aztek (like the X6).
ynguldyn commented:
March 28, 2013, 6:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by finaloption View Post
what are those 2 small holes below the side markers?
Side view cameras.
Bret_T commented:
March 28, 2013, 9:53 pm

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade who really likes this car, but I can't help hold back. I really can't imagine why anyone would want it. I'm guessing it's for someone who can't decide between a coupe and a sedan. The thing is that the coupe and sedan both look good. This thing looks awful. It's like a good looking couple having an ugly baby. It doesn't make sense. I can't imagine that BMW would sell enough to justify the additional design and production costs, but I'm sure they've done their market research. I guess if there were no people with bad taste, then I'd have no way to know how good my taste is. OK, rant off. Sorry for any hurt feelings.
bayoucity commented:
March 28, 2013, 10:02 pm

@tim330i

What are the purposes of those metal-looking rails for? (refer to the photo that you took below - located on the trunk floor)

3284me commented:
March 29, 2013, 7:54 am

Ah yes the return of the Pontiac Aztek. This beast was a total waste of development time and will not sell in the US.
finaloption commented:
March 29, 2013, 9:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3284me View Post
Ah yes the return of the Pontiac Aztek. This beast was a total waste of development time and will not sell in the US.
lol that's a little harsh.. i'm not a fan but i would still take it over a lot of other cars out there
tim330i commented:
March 29, 2013, 10:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret_T View Post
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade who really likes this car, but I can't help hold back. I really can't imagine why anyone would want it. I'm guessing it's for someone who can't decide between a coupe and a sedan. The thing is that the coupe and sedan both look good. This thing looks awful. It's like a good looking couple having an ugly baby. It doesn't make sense. I can't imagine that BMW would sell enough to justify the additional design and production costs, but I'm sure they've done their market research. I guess if there were no people with bad taste, then I'd have no way to know how good my taste is. OK, rant off. Sorry for any hurt feelings.
Close. It is for someone that likes the F30 3 series sedan but wants more room and doesn't want an SUV/SAV or a wagon. Is is a "3 Series Sedan +". BMW is making their products more granular to appeal to more customers. They were losing these sales before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoucity View Post
@tim330i

What are the purposes of those metal-looking rails for? (refer to the photo that you took below - located on the trunk floor)

Cargo tie down points fit into the rails giving you adjustable points to secure items in the back. The amount of design work that went into making the cargo space flexible and effective is amazing!

Tim
LMC commented:
March 29, 2013, 6:21 pm

I'm not seeing any Aztek in there at all.

Need to see the beast in the flesh of course, but I think it's interesting. Let's see, give it a spare tire, a coolant temp display (which I see this one has), a 3-liter turbodiesel, a dipstick and I am there!