Exclusive First Look at the 2014 BMW 3 Series 328d

by Tim Jones on March 27, 2013, 11:11 am

Bimmerfest brings you a exclusive look at the first US diesel powered F30 3 series, the 328d. We got a chance to drive the new diesel 3er at BMW's North American headquarters just after the 328d was revealed to the press at the New York Auto Show the day before. The 328d sports a 2.0 liter TwinPower Turbo 4 cylinder engine, delivering 180 hp and an impressive 280 lb-ft of torque that moves the sports sedan from 0 to 60 mph in about 7.2 seconds while getting an estimated 45 MPG highway!

With the body of the 3 series the interior and handling of the car are dead on F30 3 series. There are a few exterior tweaks as pointed out in the video but to the average consumer it would be hard to tell the difference between the 328d and the 328i. There is a touch more clanking from the engine at idle but as many have noted, the 328i is not the smoothest sounding engine BMW has ever produced. The gas and diesel 328 options both make a lot of cold stat up noise but I would be hard pressed to say the diesel sounds dramatically worse. In the sound category the 328d sounds equal to its gasoline brother so no negative marks there.

Behind the wheel around town everything is business as usual for the 3 series. Smooth ride, direct steering and a sporty feel. There is a touch more noise from the diesel at higher revs, where the gas engine seems to quite down under power. If the radio on or you're holding a conversation any engine noise would be drowned out. In 99.9% of driving you won't be able to tell you have a diesel under the hood. When you get on the loud pedal there are two distinct places you can feel the diesel engine difference. Right off the line the 280 ft-lbs of torque, which is up from the 328i's 255 ft-lbs is noticeable. It pulls hard off the line and makes quick stoplight getaways easy. Hold the pedal down and as the revs climb over 3800 you can feel the engine start to go flat. Diesels have their power down low and don't like to be pushed to high revs like a gas engine. I found the car to be much more responsive and fun to drive in sport mode. I used the steering wheel paddle shifters to flip the 8 speed automatic up a gear just as the revs hit 4k. This keep the engine in the torque range where it pulled the hardest.

US pricing is set to start under $40,000 with Lines, equipment and packages mirroring what you can get on a 328i. With an estimated 45 mpg the 328d is something you're going to have to consider if you're shopping the 3 series for fuel economy.
2014-BMW-328d-New-York 12014-BMW-328d-New-York 22014-BMW-328d-New-York 32014-BMW-328d-New-York 42014-BMW-328d-New-York 52014-BMW-328d-New-York 62014-BMW-328d-New-York 72014-BMW-328d-New-York 82014-BMW-328d-New-York 92014-BMW-328d-New-York 102014-BMW-328d-New-York 112014-BMW-328d-New-York 12

Leave a Comment

You must be a registered member to comment on stories. Please take a moment to register for your free account now. If you already have an account, log in using fields below.

30 responses to Exclusive First Look at the 2014 BMW 3 Series 328d

OBS3SSION commented:
March 27, 2013, 11:26 am

The engine note sounds like a typical diesel. The exhaust note, IMO, sounds better than the 328i.
-=Hot|Ice=- commented:
March 27, 2013, 11:37 am

Sounds like a 328i.
tim330i commented:
March 29, 2013, 3:55 pm

We got a chance to get behind the wheel of the 328d and take some video of the engine. If you're concerned with how the diesel will sound make sure you watch the 328d vs 328i engine sound comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ssBhM7dufI
ronin16 commented:
March 29, 2013, 5:15 pm

My question is later this year (2013) or early 2014, will the F31 330d engine be offered in the USA?
Paul
LMC commented:
March 29, 2013, 6:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin16 View Post
My question is later this year (2013) or early 2014, will the F31 330d engine be offered in the USA?
If you mean will a six cylinder Diesel be offered in the 3 series, I think not for the short term. If the Diesels are a big hit, one could speculate that the line might expand in a few years to offer both 4- and 6-cyl Diesels in the 3 series...
tim330i commented:
March 30, 2013, 7:52 pm

Quote:
Paul
As of right now there are no plans for anything but the 2.0 liter diesel going in the 3 series.

Tim
3ismagic# commented:
March 30, 2013, 8:21 pm

Nice that they have made the urea tank much easier to access through the fuel filler door.
kpgray commented:
March 30, 2013, 9:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
As of right now there are no plans for anything but the 2.0 liter diesel going in the 3 series.

Tim
That makes sense, a four cylinder diesel rated around 45 MPG! The 335d was not a smashing success. I know four people who drive VW TDI's and they all have rather large commutes (greater than 75 miles daily) and all bought for the mileage, not the performance. They all report over 40 MPG with regularity, the 335d BMW was only rated at 38 MPG, the BMW can now be an alternative.
Pappy Pipes commented:
March 30, 2013, 10:16 pm

Muffler on that 328i looks awfully rusty! Got a few issues with rust myself.
m8o commented:
March 30, 2013, 11:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
That makes sense, a four cylinder diesel rated around 45 MPG! The 335d was not a smashing success. I know four people who drive VW TDI's and they all have rather large commutes (greater than 75 miles daily) and all bought for the mileage, not the performance. They all report over 40 MPG with regularity, the 335d BMW was only rated at 38 MPG, the BMW can now be an alternative.
...ONLY 38mpg? The thing could outperform vehicles while almost doubling the combined fuel economy that were just a few years older but regularily give the owner only about 18mpg and requires 91 and above octane (so cost of fuel is comperable).
Teemo Panda commented:
March 31, 2013, 1:44 am

Wow, the 328D shifts more faster than the gasoline one.

i wonder if the guy put the 328d on sport mode?
shadowless commented:
March 31, 2013, 1:54 am

is it confirmed that there will be a touring version of this car available in the states?

if so, that would be high on my list of vehicle choices for a dd.
OBS3SSION commented:
March 31, 2013, 9:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamigawa120 View Post
Wow, the 328D shifts more faster than the gasoline one.

i wonder if the guy put the 328d on sport mode?
Diesels have a lower rev limit, hence shifting sooner.
5SeriesNatsFan commented:
March 31, 2013, 10:05 am

Does the 328d have the same stop start as the 328i? This is not clear from the available specs.
Iraqi BIMMER commented:
April 3, 2013, 4:50 pm

great engine thank you god for this bema
floydarogers commented:
April 3, 2013, 5:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowless View Post
is it confirmed that there will be a touring version of this car available in the states? .
I've seen it confirmed elsewhere. However, AFAIK it's going to be xDrive only.
tim330i commented:
April 3, 2013, 5:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowless View Post
is it confirmed that there will be a touring version of this car available in the states?

if so, that would be high on my list of vehicle choices for a dd.
I can confirm that, but not until the fall.

Tim
rmorin49 commented:
April 3, 2013, 7:16 pm

Anyone know what the 0-60 mph time is for the 320d? How does it compare with the 328i?
gkr778 commented:
April 4, 2013, 12:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorin49 View Post
Anyone know what the 0-60 mph time is for the 320d? How does it compare with the 328i?
The F30 brochure for Germany quotes a 0-100 km/h (0-62.1 mph) acceleration time of 7.5s for the 320d and 5.9s for the 328i.
OBS3SSION commented:
April 4, 2013, 11:25 am

Quote:
They're going to call it a 328d here in the US. Mostly for marketing reasons, I assume. I believe I read it will be because it will have the same level of equipment and options as the 328i.
tim330i commented:
April 4, 2013, 11:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBS3SSION View Post
They're going to call it a 328d here in the US. Mostly for marketing reasons, I assume. I believe I read it will be because it will have the same level of equipment and options as the 328i.
Correct. The designations have become indicators of not only the engine/power but the equipment level.

Tim
Jamesonsviggen commented:
April 4, 2013, 11:33 am

Quote:
Per BMW NA 7.2 vs 5.7 or 5.9 depending on the transmissions of the gas car.

In testing, people are able to beat BMWs numbers by a few tenths, so hoping the D cracks 6.8-6.9.
m8o commented:
April 4, 2013, 3:34 pm

Quote:
Correct. The designations have become indicators of not only the engine/power but the equipment level.
This reply is not pointed in your direction Tim, but to BMW for this policy you describe... I say ... to that.

again, towards 'BMW' and/or 'BMW USA', not you Tim...

In the rest of the world you you can gauge how responsive a model-year BMW vehicle is to movement of the go pedal by the badge. Here, not even close.

I'm an early MB AMG owner which was the 1st car I bought new in the late 90's. And I respected the 'AMG' name. I liken this "badging level" being used on the 328d to those MB owners who started showing up in the early 2000s who would have an AMG badge affixed to the trunk because they got AMG floormats and/or rims. Or when I was a much younger lad a guy who would put an 'SS' badge on their Chevelle Malibu and think they're "the shiet".

Perhaps it makes me a snob -- tho I know many are in my camp and are of like mind -- but in both cases that would immediately make someone ineligible for the time of day from me. So I'm having trouble with BMW, a respected manufacturer, doing something I deem worthy of nothing but disrespect.

/soapbox
tim330i commented:
April 4, 2013, 3:43 pm

BMW is responding to the market forces. There is an insane amount of badge/brand whores out there. They can stand their ground or play the game, a prudent business plays the game, and that is what they're doing. I don't like it either, but that is where our culture seems to be going

Tim
suneil commented:
April 4, 2013, 3:46 pm

Quote:
Paul
I would be surprised...the 330d didn't do well here last iteration...
d geek commented:
April 5, 2013, 12:12 am

first of all thank you Tim for making this for the bimmerfest community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suneil View Post
...the 330d didn't do well here last iteration...
I don't know how you can conclude this when BMW is bringing over two more diesel sedans this year.
It was a 335d (not 330d)
Robert A commented:
April 5, 2013, 12:18 am

For the first time ever, we will have 4 engine choices for the 3 Series sedan for the US. I don't foresee there being a 5th anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d geek View Post
I don't know how you can conclude this when BMW is bringing over two more diesel sedans this year.
It was a 335d (not 330d)
sudha commented:
April 5, 2013, 2:21 am

Quote:

Tim
You may be right there but over where I live, we dont have 328d. We only have the 320d and it is available in two different trims, Modern Line and Sports Line and BMW calls it.

And according to our local news it's a "renamed" 320d.

And like OBS3SSION said, it could be for marketing reasons. The Luxury Line is missing in our local line up so thats probably what you get - some added luxury refinements

I would imagine that BMW would at least give it some added tuning and revised the power upwards since they are calling it a 328d. But that does seem to be the case.

But for under $40,000 for an up-trimmed version of a 320d.. you guys a better off than me.

The 320d here starts at RMRM248,800 - that's $81,214.30
msej449 commented:
October 29, 2013, 5:29 pm

If anyone's interested, I'm currently running-in my new 330d SE Touring xDrive here in stormy England. Once I've done the requisite 1200 miles or so, I'll start to push it more - currently not meant to take it out of 'comfort' to keep the revs under 3,000. Some reviews criticised it for judder on stop-start, but I just don't see that (I suspect a lot of reviewers have only driven the 320d and are extrapolating from that).

Positives: The BMW runflats are a far, far better ride than the 'normal' tires on my previous Audi. The reversing camera is a must and works brilliantly. First car I've had with a sunroof and I love the way it makes the cabin much brighter. Adaptive xenon headlights are great. I have a bad back and going for the full sports seats plus lumbar was a good call - the most comfortable seats I've ever had (excepting my Lotus Elise Mk-1). Glad I went for the 3.0L straight-six rather than the 4-cyl 328. 8-Speed auto means the engine is sitting around 1000-1500 rpm most of the time.

Negatives? Can't open the tailgate unless I've double-unlocked the car, which seems wierd. The electric sports seats don't rise as far as I expected (I'm only 5'7" so I'd like them a bit higher). Radio traffic alerts (TP) don't break into a muted radio (as far as I can see). The BMW LED 12v socket rechargeable torch doesn't actually fit in the front cigarette lighter (although my Audi one does :-).

General: The ride is great on 17" wheels but more aggressive drivers might prefer 18"/19". In the UK the 'Professional' SatNav is another $1500 and I can't see what you actually get extra - standard 'Business' does the basics fine with real-time RDS traffic data displayed. You need to have a route in the SatNav for even fairly imminent traffic alerts to be displayed. The grey (see signature) looks much better in the flesh than in photos. If you've not used it before, the PDC is hard to understand at first. They weren't extra, but so far, I've not used the paddle shift and as it stands, can't see many situations where they're going to be needed. And so far, I've not had the courage to try out the Park Assist, and it's too early to try launch control .....
raleedy commented:
October 29, 2013, 5:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8o View Post
...ONLY 38mpg? The thing could outperform vehicles while almost doubling the combined fuel economy that were just a few years older but regularily give the owner only about 18mpg and requires 91 and above octane (so cost of fuel is comperable).
See? You're concerned with performance; lots of folks could care less, will take the 20% better mileage.