Are You Already Considering the M235i as Your Next Car?

by Bimmerfest.com Member - jzcrna on March 29, 2013, 8:42 am
Who is as excited about the M235i as me?

Anyone out there not as happy with their 335i and looking to get back into a sporty BMW?

17 months and counting until lease end!!!

Leave a Comment

You must be a registered member to comment on stories. Please take a moment to register for your free account now. If you already have an account, log in using fields below.

50 responses to Are You Already Considering the M235i as Your Next Car?

Chris90 commented:
March 31, 2013, 8:44 am

I can't buy a coupe, otherwise I'd be really excited. EVO magazine even mentioned the M135i has real steering feel, maybe recalibrated electric power steering? If they make a 4 door I'll buy it.
jzcrna commented:
April 1, 2013, 4:19 pm

Since my wife have a relatively new Honda odyssey, I can now get into a coupe so this sounds legacy ly like what Im craving. Hopefully cost is within reason.
Chris90 commented:
April 1, 2013, 5:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrna View Post
Since my wife have a relatively new Honda odyssey, I can now get into a coupe so this sounds legacy ly like what Im craving. Hopefully cost is within reason.
We have an Outback for trips, but our 2nd car still needs to be able to fit a car seat (and soon two), that's why i can't get a coupe. But maybe your kids are old enough to use boosters or just seat belts? I'm looking forward to that.
bmw325 commented:
April 8, 2013, 10:43 pm

I'm excited too. Planning on switching from an e92 335i to the M235i possibly. Sounds like you have an F30 335i? THe M135i/235i share a lot of components with the F30 (steering, transmission, engine, suspension, etc), so i'm a bit skeptical that it will be such a different driving experience. Although the reviews seem pretty breathless about it. I guess the smaller size, some tweaks to various ECUs, and a louder exhaust all add up.

Chris if you can wait till 2015 the rumored 2 series Gran Coupe should materialize to solve your problem!
tim330i commented:
April 9, 2013, 9:33 am

I'm excited! I've heard from BMW insiders that have seen the 2 series that it is amazing.
jzcrna commented:
April 9, 2013, 9:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
I'm excited! I've heard from BMW insiders that have seen the 2 series that it is amazing.
Thanks for the insight. Yeah the fact that it is smaller is going to make all of the difference, especially with more hp than my 335i.

I don't like the newer technologies such as ASS, Eco pro, etc. but they are going to be in all brands short term.

Honestly, Im really super curious about the CLA AMG45. A little expensive but it looks like it could be a dream car and Im not the biggest Mercedes fan. Will have to see what the M235i pricing looks like.

The 228i sales should kill the Base CLA250 as long as people can stand a two-door.
Mark K commented:
April 9, 2013, 11:16 am

Quote:
Yeah the fact that it is smaller is going to make all of the difference, especially with more hp than my 335i.
I certainly hope it will. I still remember smiling while driving the loaner 128i AT - I liked it so much that I (seriously) imposed a veto on myself to not drive any F82 with MT, and especially so 135i with MT. Still respecting it.

I'm (kinda) planning to switch in 2015 (May or Sept ED) or at the latest 2016 (May ED). M2 is really a teasing proposition, but if it will not be available I certainly won't complain to get M235i

E92 is a VERY nice car, but more and more it aggravates me with its weight. F82 is not 1,000 lb lighter, but it is lighter enough to notice and smile about it while driving it. Let's hope F22 doesn't pig up in transit.
Chris90 commented:
April 9, 2013, 12:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325 View Post
I'm excited too. Planning on switching from an e92 335i to the M235i possibly. Sounds like you have an F30 335i? THe M135i/235i share a lot of components with the F30 (steering, transmission, engine, suspension, etc), so i'm a bit skeptical that it will be such a different driving experience. Although the reviews seem pretty breathless about it. I guess the smaller size, some tweaks to various ECUs, and a louder exhaust all add up.

Chris if you can wait till 2015 the rumored 2 series Gran Coupe should materialize to solve your problem!
Reviews say the M135i has more steering feel, but that could be just subjective.

yeah, I'd love a Gran Coupe!
bmw325 commented:
April 10, 2013, 3:51 pm

Quote:

Honestly, Im really super curious about the CLA AMG45. A little expensive but it looks like it could be a dream car and Im not the biggest Mercedes fan. Will have to see what the M235i pricing looks like.
Yeah- I think given the current trend of small, sporty premium 4 doors (CLA, new A3 sedan, etc), BMW would've done well to introduce the 2 series Gran Coupe first. Oh well.

Regarding the CLA, one killer for me is that its a FWD based platform (like an Audi) so its going to be nose heavy. I also think the styling is awkward and over-wrought from certain angles...saw it in person at the ny auto show. Of course the next-gen 1/2 series will likely be FWD based too if the 1 GT concept is anything to go by-- but that's still 6-7 years away.

Remember also that BMW will introduce an M2 above the M235i that will be on par or better than the CLA AMG.
Mick22 commented:
April 10, 2013, 10:41 pm

Yes! I am strongly considering it.... along with the new TT and A3/S3
koolmotor420 commented:
April 12, 2013, 12:51 am

have not seen it..
brkf commented:
April 18, 2013, 4:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325 View Post
Yeah- I think given the current trend of small, sporty premium 4 doors (CLA, new A3 sedan, etc), BMW would've done well to introduce the 2 series Gran Coupe first. Oh well.

Regarding the CLA, one killer for me is that its a FWD based platform (like an Audi) so its going to be nose heavy. I also think the styling is awkward and over-wrought from certain angles...saw it in person at the ny auto show. Of course the next-gen 1/2 series will likely be FWD based too if the 1 GT concept is anything to go by-- but that's still 6-7 years away.

Remember also that BMW will introduce an M2 above the M235i that will be on par or better than the CLA AMG.
The last line is the one I like quite a bit.
beden1 commented:
May 18, 2013, 12:17 am

It looks like BMW fixed the headlamps on the M235i - not touching the grill. They should change the F30 also.
JayKayo commented:
May 18, 2013, 3:26 am

I don't like E36s or anything older, because they look like antiques.
I don't like E92s because of excessive problems, and they look too feminine (again, college girls on campus love the body styling and 75% of owners are female - 335is too.)
F30's only a sedan.
E46 facelift coupes not vert are the only ones that make me go

But this new one.....coupe, size is about the same as the E46, interior would be a nice update, plus much more power.

Seriously considering moving on.....but only if it's as fun to drive and reliable-ish.
kirker commented:
May 20, 2013, 1:27 am

Quote:
Who is as excited about the M235i as me?

Anyone out there not as happy with their 335i and looking to get back into a sporty BMW?

17 months and counting until lease end!!!
Most definitely thinking about it. I've had both an E90 335i and an E88 135i, and while I'm driving a cherry E46 330 at the moment, I'll be in the market for something new in about 18 months. I test-drove the F30 328i and 335i last year and was NOT impressed in the least; the steering/handling is a step *down* from the E90, and the stop/start feature drove me completely batty. I would easily buy a CPO E90 335i over either one in a heartbeat. While I think the F30 328i is an improvement engine-wise over the E90 version (I know, I know - turbo 4 = Bimmer blasphemy), it's not enough to save the rest of the car's failings. If I had to buy a (new) Bimmer this instant, it'd probably be a 135i with DCT (which wasn't available when I bought my '08 - I had a manual). I'm well-aware that the only reason BMW hasn't dropped that sucker in the 3-series is because they're worried about (further) cannibalization of M3 sales, but I have a buddy with a 2011 135i thus equipped and WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE DOOOOOOOGIE is that thing a rocket.

Still, I am initially *very* impressed with the '15 Audi S3, both looks-wise and (purported) performance-wise, particularly if it comes in at under $40K base. I know BMW hasn't formally announced it yet, but I'm expecting a hefty price hike with the 4-series, since they're clearly emulating Audi's MO (and an A5 starts at $5,500 more than an A4, with the only significant equipment difference being a traditional six-speed Tiptronic available in all A5s instead of the horrible CVT in most A4s). If a 435i ends up costing roughly the same as an E92 M3, then something will be *seriously* wrong (particularly if BMW doesn't fix the damn steering!!).
bmw325 commented:
May 20, 2013, 1:45 pm

Agree... I have an e92 335i but its just too big and heavy feeling. If I had to buy a new car right now it'd probably be a 128 or 135i. The 2 series is the closest BMW has gotten to the e46 in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirker View Post
Most definitely thinking about it. I've had both an E90 335i and an E88 135i, and while I'm driving a cherry E46 330 at the moment, I'll be in the market for something new in about 18 months. I test-drove the F30 328i and 335i last year and was NOT impressed in the least; the steering/handling is a step *down* from the E90, and the stop/start feature drove me completely batty. I would easily buy a CPO E90 335i over either one in a heartbeat. While I think the F30 328i is an improvement engine-wise over the E90 version (I know, I know - turbo 4 = Bimmer blasphemy), it's not enough to save the rest of the car's failings. If I had to buy a (new) Bimmer this instant, it'd probably be a 135i with DCT (which wasn't available when I bought my '08 - I had a manual). I'm well-aware that the only reason BMW hasn't dropped that sucker in the 3-series is because they're worried about (further) cannibalization of M3 sales, but I have a buddy with a 2011 135i thus equipped and WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE DOOOOOOOGIE is that thing a rocket.

Still, I am initially *very* impressed with the '15 Audi S3, both looks-wise and (purported) performance-wise, particularly if it comes in at under $40K base. I know BMW hasn't formally announced it yet, but I'm expecting a hefty price hike with the 4-series, since they're clearly emulating Audi's MO (and an A5 starts at $5,500 more than an A4, with the only significant equipment difference being a traditional six-speed Tiptronic available in all A5s instead of the horrible CVT in most A4s). If a 435i ends up costing roughly the same as an E92 M3, then something will be *seriously* wrong (particularly if BMW doesn't fix the damn steering!!).
markthai commented:
May 22, 2013, 1:04 pm

I'm excited too. Esp from those leaking red one from the photo shoot.
agentcircus commented:
January 20, 2014, 6:23 pm

Anyone else moving from 335i to M235i? Definitely a difference in acceleration, but that's only temporary enjoyment off the line. Is the handling worth giving up the sensibility of the sedan?
Porkopolis commented:
January 20, 2014, 6:51 pm

If they make a M235 Gran Coupe or any sort of legitimate M2, I'm definitely in. Currently I have a 335is. The M235 seems to be in a very similar performance category to the 335is, but actually comes with an LSD. So, I'm sold.
Rubber Ducky commented:
January 20, 2014, 7:08 pm

As soon as my lease is up will roll into an M235i. My 335i was one of the launch cars and the first one sold in Florida ... 3 days before its official release on 11 Feb 2012. Had to wait three days before BMW's finance system would accept the sale.

(My other car? A Stingray vert, the best $62K bargain in the entire automobile world.)
rayainsw commented:
January 20, 2014, 8:15 pm

.. with a stop in between.
My view of the M235i, as of today:
Weight –

It appears likely to be a weight comparable to the 335iS that I leased in 2011, though I have seen no independent verification of a US spec. weight. Having recently driven a 3,500+ pound BMW for close to 30,000 miles, and given the size, level of performance & equipment – I personally have no issue with the weight.

Price –
2011 335iS - $53.5K with 7-speed auto \ DCT
2014 M235i - $44.0K with 8-speed ZF sport automatic

Performance –
It appears that the acceleration will be slightly better than that 335iS. With the tires & suspension specified, I expect that it will handle & ride incrementally better.

Size –
It appears to have enough interior and luggage room – for me.

Efficiency –
The EPA city MPG rating is 30% better than the 335iS.
The EPA highway MPG rating is 33% better.
In fact, the M235i highway number is 1 less than the VW GTI that I now drive.

Initial published reviews [ based on track & street driving in & around Vegas ] have been quite positive.
So – pending instrumented tests verifying the above – and my own test drive, the M235i is high on my 'short list' of contenders for my $s, next time around.
YMMV.
- Ray
Likely to make the move very late this year, or early 2015.
lqaddict commented:
January 21, 2014, 11:26 am

I haven't seen the 2-series in person yet, I am hearing about some sub-par interior, etc. - will hopefully check it out at NYAS or when it will hit the show rooms.
My lease is up in October of this year, I hope by May-June production will ramp up, and there won't be any issues with the dealer allocations, and pricing at MSRP nonsense.
jzcrna commented:
January 21, 2014, 1:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqaddict View Post
I haven't seen the 2-series in person yet, I am hearing about some sub-par interior, etc. - will hopefully check it out at NYAS or when it will hit the show rooms.
My lease is up in October of this year, I hope by May-June production will ramp up, and there won't be any issues with the dealer allocations, and pricing at MSRP nonsense.
same boat here. Lease expires in Sept. Still thinking that I should actually go with the 228i Msport instead as a daily driver.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
SilverX3 commented:
January 21, 2014, 1:47 pm

I want one now.....Damn
335i Driver commented:
January 21, 2014, 2:21 pm

It's on my list. A lower budget interior is expected on a lower level car, guess I'll have to see it before I determine how low budget it is. The new C class could have been nice, and the 350hp turbo v6 is apparently going to be an option, but they killed it by putting a portable GPS on the dash.
Saberwalk commented:
January 21, 2014, 4:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqaddict View Post
Can't imagine it would be worse than the X1 leather interior, which in my view is very similar to my 06 E90. Of course it likely would not compare to the three, four or five, series, but I am pretty happy with the X1.
Mark K commented:
January 21, 2014, 5:04 pm

See my post #8.

Unfortunately, in the meantime since I posted that, we learned that

- it weighs 3,530 pounds and I know how 3,600 pounds feel in my E92 with basically the same power (N55+PPK). Which was the main reason to look at 2 series and not even consider F30 or F32

- cannot be had without moonroof (without potentially big problems)

This leaves 228i with 200 pounds less and no moonroof easily ordered. After a test drive, I will have to see if it is acceptable or I better make plans to travel to Zuffenhausen instead of Munich for my next car.
agentcircus commented:
January 21, 2014, 5:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
See my post #8.

Unfortunately, in the meantime since I posted that, we learned that

- it weighs 3,530 pounds and I know how 3,600 pounds feel in my E92 with basically the same power (N55+PPK). Which was the main reason to look at 2 series and not even consider F30 or F32

- cannot be had without moonroof (without potentially big problems)

This leaves 228i with 200 pounds less and no moonroof easily ordered. After a test drive, I will have to see if it is acceptable or I better make plans to travel to Zuffenhausen instead of Munich for my next car.
Haha, you predicted it.
tim330i commented:
January 21, 2014, 5:09 pm

I think the complaints over the interior are unfounded. It is the same interior (more or less) that the F30 has. If you don't like that you won't like the 2er interior as they're the same or similar materials. I think the 3er interior, and therefore the 2er interior, is what you'd expect in a entry level sport sedan.

This is from spending a half a day in the inside -

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=747639

Tim
agentcircus commented:
January 21, 2014, 6:49 pm

You're a lucky man Tim. What vehicle would you go with out of the two?
tim330i commented:
January 21, 2014, 7:11 pm

I would get the M235i but there two different cars. The driving dynamics aren't that different but the usability and style are totally different.

Tim
agentcircus commented:
January 21, 2014, 7:14 pm

Quote:
I would get the M235i but there two different cars. The driving dynamics aren't that different but the usability and style are totally different.

Tim
Glad to hear that the driving dynamics are similar. What do you mean by usability? Usability as in 4-door versus 2-door, or track ready versus grocery store ready?
tim330i commented:
January 21, 2014, 7:15 pm

2 door vs 4 door. Rear seat space, trunk space, interior space. The M235i is a relatively small car and the F30 is a relatively big car.

Tim
agentcircus commented:
January 21, 2014, 7:17 pm

Gotcha - That helps. Thanks!
Eagle11 commented:
January 22, 2014, 2:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i Driver View Post
It's on my list. A lower budget interior is expected on a lower level car, guess I'll have to see it before I determine how low budget it is. The new C class could have been nice, and the 350hp turbo v6 is apparently going to be an option, but they killed it by putting a portable GPS on the dash.
The C class is a direct competitor for the 3 series. The 2 series is more in line with the CLA, I'm beating the 2 series might have a little more room than the CLA...
ny325 commented:
January 22, 2014, 2:13 am

I saw the M235i at BMW headquarters in Woofcliff N.J. I think this model is going to be BMW's bread and butter. The car has nice simple lines, size of the E46, lots of power, and non run flats. I read however, it's going to have electric steering. What ashame.
Highmodulus commented:
January 22, 2014, 9:28 am

Car and Driver review:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

Quote:
Shod with staggered Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires, the M235i has an abundance of lateral grip, yet it’s still simple enough to rotate the car with the throttle. It turns in quickly with a light and precise feel to the steering. The electric power-steering system communicates more about the road surface than in the 4-series, which itself marked an improvement over the latest 3-series. More impressive is the M235i’s balance, and the way it delivers just the right amount of body motion to let you know how hard it can be pushed. This is important because you sit upright in the M235i and there’s plenty of suspension travel. With its lower belt line and cowl, it feels less like contemporary BMWs than it does models past.
335i Driver commented:
January 22, 2014, 12:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle11 View Post
The C class is a direct competitor for the 3 series. The 2 series is more in line with the CLA, I'm beating the 2 series might have a little more room than the CLA...
The 2,3,4 series and C class and a few more options are all competing to be my next car. Therefore, they are all worthy of comparison. The fugly cla with the ipad tacked to the dashboard is not.
Eagle11 commented:
January 22, 2014, 1:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny325 View Post
I saw the M235i at BMW headquarters in Woofcliff N.J. I think this model is going to be BMW's bread and butter. The car has nice simple lines, size of the E46, lots of power, and non run flats. I read however, it's going to have electric steering. What ashame.
Elec steering is here to stay, as all manufactures are going to it, it's an easy way to increase MPG... But that doesn't mean that the manufactures can't dial better feedback in to it.
bmw325 commented:
January 22, 2014, 2:24 pm

Quote:
Elec steering is here to stay, as all manufactures are going to it, it's an easy way to increase MPG... But that doesn't mean that the manufactures can't dial better feedback in to it.
Agree. I recently drove a 991 Porsche with electric steering and it was quite nice. By all accounts, BMW seems to have done a good job on the M135i, so the M235i should be the same or better. Tires also matter, and I think the M235i will come w/ regular (non runflat) tires. So that should help
SilverX3 commented:
January 22, 2014, 3:30 pm

M235i... my new dream car

I want one now
HELLR0T commented:
January 30, 2014, 4:19 pm

I'm considering going from a 328 to 235.

Want to wait and see it in person, I'm sure it will be awesome though.
tim330i commented:
January 30, 2014, 4:20 pm

It looks great in person! The question is can you handle the smaller size?

Tim
Eagle11 commented:
January 31, 2014, 12:22 am

Quote:
It looks great in person! The question is can you handle the smaller size?

Tim
I know for me, size isn't the issue, proportions is, and the 1 series lacked that.
agentcircus commented:
January 31, 2014, 6:08 am

I ended up going with the 335i M Sport. M235i looks like a really fun car to drive, but overall I think the 335i is more well-rounded. Looks a little more evil in the front as well.
HELLR0T commented:
January 31, 2014, 7:28 am

Quote:
I know for me, size isn't the issue, proportions is, and the 1 series lacked that.
I test drove a 1. I loved the ass end, inside was fine and cozy, front was just too "cute" and puggy.

I actually wish the tailights of the 2 looked more like the 1

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Gold commented:
February 5, 2014, 11:21 pm

My 135i was totaled last year in a crash, replaced with a 2012 335is, which is really is a blast to drive, though maybe not as nimble feeling as the 135. My lease is up next year and the M235i sounds great. Will it be more fun to drive (more tossable, faster) than my 335is? Or at least as fun? I hope so. Cant wait to test drive.
Eagle11 commented:
February 7, 2014, 12:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold View Post
My 135i was totaled last year in a crash, replaced with a 2012 335is, which is really is a blast to drive, though maybe not as nimble feeling as the 135. My lease is up next year and the M235i sounds great. Will it be more fun to drive (more tossable, faster) than my 335is? Or at least as fun? I hope so. Cant wait to test drive.
I would say YES... The M235i has the same HP as your 335is in a car that weights less and a shorter wheelbase.
mvallido commented:
February 7, 2014, 3:36 am

For the last two years i've almost placed an order for a 335i sedan and I'm glad I changed my mind too many times when i was a few yards away from BMW military sales and went home instead. When I learned about the M235i, i picked up the phone, told my SA what I want and placed the order. Now, I can't wait for the shipping date.
mecodoug commented:
February 7, 2014, 9:51 am

Considering moving to an 228 or M235 from my 335d. Optioned out there may only be $3k difference. I'll do another European delivery this summer or next.....