Look, listen and learn: F80 M3 on the Nurburgring

by Tim Jones on April 22, 2013, 5:01 pm

We catch the F80 M3 testing on the Nurbrugring. We've seen the F80 M3 sedan and the F82 M4 coupe testing in the past but this video gives us the best sense of what the next generation M3 is going to sound like.

The M3/M4 will be powered by an S55 engine derived from the N54/N55 architecture. With twin turbo chargers horsepower should be in the 420-430 hp range with 400 ft-lbs of torque on tap. Previous generation M3 owners should be excited about this massive torque increase, an area where the M3 has always been weak.

Other areas to get excited about the next gen F80 M3 and F82 M4
  • Light weight - E46 M3 territory, lighter then the E9x M3.
  • More power - Not a huge jump in horsepower but 100+ in torque
  • More fuel efficient - ok, maybe that isn't that exciting
  • Electric power steering - Don't worry this has been worked over from the F30 to have more feeling
  • Front bumper - M6 styling with air curtain and air breather vents
  • Hood - Power dome, an iconic M3 feature from the E46 M3 continues.
  • Tires - We're getting some quality rubber on the M3/M4 shoes. Prototypes have been spotted with Michelin Pilot Super Sports in 255/35/19 up front and 275/35/19 in the rear

Stay tuned, we'll have more details coming soon as we near closer to the F80 M3 and F82 M4 concept release date.

11 responses to Look, listen and learn: F80 M3 on the Nurburgring

HokieXDriver commented:
April 22, 2013, 5:18 pm

Yep, this is my next car for sure. I wanted to buy an M3 sedan but timed it wrong and they weren't available. My plan is to go for the F80 LCI.

Don't miss the i8 behind the M3, by the way.
_Vida_ commented:
April 22, 2013, 5:29 pm

Sounds awesome. I wonder if the wife will let me trade in my F30 when this comes available

suneil commented:
April 22, 2013, 6:07 pm

I'm waiting until 2018...would love a lime rock edition!
solstice commented:
April 22, 2013, 6:35 pm

I don't like the sound. Too loose, distorted and low rpms. There is also no hints of throttle blips at downshifts, maybe it's an MT? BUT I'm very, very impressed by the composure, lack of body roll and balanced turn in this video highlights. The chassi seems pretty awesome and light weight can very well be part of this impressive showing. I can take the "fart can" noise if the handling is as crisp as it seems to be. The S65 will be sorely missed in the sound and rev range areas though.
Dragan commented:
April 23, 2013, 6:23 pm

Depending on what gas prices are like in 5-10 years, I may have to get me one of these. I've wanted an M3 since I was kid. Still do.
HokieXDriver commented:
April 23, 2013, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Dragan View Post
Agreed. It is the quintessential BMW of each model generation.
BMWTurboDzl commented:
April 23, 2013, 6:59 pm

Tuners will have a field day.

Sent from my MB525 using Bimmer App
3ismagic# commented:
April 23, 2013, 9:15 pm

At the 1:24 mark it sounds exactly like the Millennium Falcon.

Awesome!
Mark K commented:
April 23, 2013, 9:17 pm

Just a tad disappointed at the sound on a lift-off. I mean ... NOTHING. C'mon! Even my lowly N55 without PE burbles and pops, what is this?

I guess they will fine tune the sound later.
boramkiv commented:
April 23, 2013, 10:02 pm

"The M3/M4 will be powered by an S55 engine derived from the N54/N55 architecture."

Sweet, these alphanumeric combos sound powerful together.
Nice to see the i8 cleaning up the exhaust behind the M3.
mermar commented:
April 24, 2013, 10:58 am

Likely my next car - though by late summer of 2014 (about when this comes out)a preowned f10 M5 will cost about the same. Wonder if given the light weight and newfound torque if the F80 will be the faster to 60 between the M5 and the new M3?
The f10 seems too big, the current E9x a bit too small (inside) - perhaps this will be 'just right'?
Competition is fierce now - BMW will get it right (my hope anyhow).