BMW i3 in exclusive Solar Orange metallic paint

by Tim Jones on April 24, 2013, 10:50 am
BMW i3 in solar orange metallic

The all electric BMW i3 goes on sale in Europe in July with production vehicles hitting Euro showrooms in October. Euro pricing converted to USD sets the start price at $53,500 before credits and tax deductions. US customers will have to wait until 2014 to order and get their new BMW i3. In the mean time autoevolution has snapped these spy pictures showing the production i3 roof line and paint.

Captured in BMW i3 exclusive Solar Orange metallic this i3 test mule just came off the almost completed production line in Leipzig (first pictures of i3 production line). If you look closely this test mule is nearly a production car. It has complete headlights, tail lights and body. BMW is out fine tuning driving dynamics and other details before they flip the switch and start cranking out i3s.

I think it looks grown up over the prototypes and I can't wait to see it in the final carbon fiber skin. Does seeing the i3 in near production form change your opinion of the car?

BMW i3 nears production

More pictures and details at autoevolution.com

6 responses to BMW i3 in exclusive Solar Orange metallic paint

Andrew*Debbie commented:
April 26, 2013, 6:56 am

Did anyone else notice what these test mules are missing?

I don't see a Hofmeister Kink. It could be deliberate camouflage.

The car looks more British than other BMWs. Certainly some MINI clubman. I see a little influence from the Range Rover Evoque too.
tim330i commented:
April 26, 2013, 9:06 am

Good eye. The BMW i3 is the first BMW to not have the hofmeister kink. I believe it is a deliberate design statement that BMW i is not the same as BMW.

Tim
rmjames007 commented:
April 26, 2013, 10:51 am

I am super interested to the i3 and cant wait till it comes to the US. That price will be an issue
AndyM commented:
April 26, 2013, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by tim330i View Post

Tim
The Z3/M Coupe didn't have a Hofmeister Kink.
tim330i commented:
April 26, 2013, 3:21 pm

Good point. I find it strange it didn't, it would have gone with the design I believe.

Tim
bredi commented:
April 27, 2013, 2:29 am

personally... I think its ugly for a BMW. Its like BMW got Prius'd. Not sure why car makers are so compelled to make electrics odd-like. The i8 on the other hand... fits and looks great. It is futuristic and feels like an "evolution" for BMW.
The i3 doesn't look bmw at all. I see Mazda, Scion etc.

That said, I still want an electric only BMW, and if BMW mechanics and kinetics are there, I could over look the odd design.

I would like to see it without camo to make final judgments.

bredi