BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

It's official now! 335i 8AT 0-60 tested as 4.6 seconds by CD

46K views 177 replies 50 participants last post by  JT///M3 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Nice! I think it's official now. This is the end of long lasting 328 vs 335 dogfight. WE finally have the test results from same source.

328 8AT 0-60 5.6 seconds
335 8AT 0-60 4.6 seconds

road and track 335i 0-60

One whole freaking second in this range is awesome! Considering MT rated 335 8AT as 4.7 seconds, I guess these numbers are very reliable. Sweet!!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Nice! I think it's official now. This is the end of long lasting 328 vs 335 dogfight. WE finally have the test results from same source.

328 8AT 0-60 5.6 seconds
335 8AT 0-60 4.6 seconds

One whole freaking second in this range is awesome! Considering MT rated 335 8AT as 4.7 seconds, I guess these numbers are very reliable. Sweet!!
Really nice numbers for the 335 and the other two are on pair with the 328. Sadly, I don't remember the last time 3 series lost a C & D comparison. First it was ranked behind the ATS and C350 by MT http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...3_cadillac_ats_mercedes_benz_c350_comparison/ and now behind the IS350. How times have changed.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)

328 8AT 0-60 5.6 seconds
335 8AT 0-60 4.6 seconds

As mentioned on the other forum, it is cool that the other two cars put up 328 numbers. 4.6 for the 335, that's movin !

As to your 335 vs 328 assertion about being official, how so, where is your 5.6 coming from? The 4.6 is obviously from CD in a 19" wheel summer tired MSport. Your 5.6 is from CD with similar summer tires, or from another source?

#9 ·
I know I have seen higher skid pad numbers on the F30 at .90-.91, but forget if those were 328's and or DHP cars.

#8 ·
I personally can't stand how the Lexus looks inside or out...I can't believe it got rated so highly on styling.

#22 ·
Has anyone here replaced the stock performance summer runflats with real tires, e.g., Michelin PSS? If so, how does that change steering response? In my 535, the steering feel improved enormously when I put PSS on. I'm planning to do the same with my 335 M Sport.

If the steering feel does improve, then I'd have to say BMW is shooting itself in the wheel with these runflats. They're going to keep getting these numb steering reviews.

#35 ·
Before I purchased my 335i, I had seriously considered the ATS 3.6 Premium. Test drove both cars and even brought the ATS home to my wife. Before I pulled the trigger brought the ATS up to my BMW dealer and put both cars side by side. Then took the ATS on the same test drive that I went on with my BMW dealer took me on and drove the ATS just as hard. The ATS transmission almost seized doing the circuit. BMW won looks and performance with me.

#36 ·
I am pretty sure it is the same auto transmission as the one in the E90 3 series. Very similar to the 6 speed ZF in the E90 335 but not as quick as 8 speed ZF in the F30. It received very good reviews in most comparisons. I am not sure why C & D did not like it as much during this one. I drove a E90 335 and 328 back to back and I though the two transmission were nearly identical in behavior. If anything the GM unit shifted a little quicker.

#37 ·
I'm never sure how much value there is in car reviews, and I'm not saying this only because the BMW came in 2nd. Well, I don't think I am anyway.

My point is, look how much difference in opinion there is just on this forum. Everyone has a different set of criteria and a different opinion. If I happened to be an auto journalist and wrote a review in a magazine, why would my opinion suddenly be more important than it is here on the forum? Because it's in print?

This is why I almost prefer the Consumer Reports "reviews". They state objective facts like reliability, which I have no other way of knowing. Then I go sit my butt in several cars and make my own mind up on the subjective issues like steering feel, "excitement", or whatever.

#40 ·
I somewhat disagree, specifically when it comes to C & D. Every time I drive a car (whether it is a Civic or a Tundra) and come across a C & D review of it, most of the time I feel exactly the same as the review. On the other hand I really don't get some of the MT reviews.

#44 ·
It is sad that BMW once known for its steering feel and feed back on 3 series is not among the best thanks to crappy electric steering wheel. I think BMW engineers need to put the life back into the life less steering wheels.

As for 328i vs 335i anyone that thinks both are on par with regards to straight line performance needs to get their brain checked or their might be a cheaper less expensive way. I would suggest you line up your 328i vs my 335i or any other 335i and all you will see is tail lights all day.

#45 ·
This is why no one takes car and driver seriously .

How did the Lexus win? They said the same type of stuff when the first is350 came out which other mags have said actually have a more engaging drive. Not to mention the BMW destroyed it in almost every measure of performance

I've driven the old is350 and its got nothing on a BMW. I actually have a friend who was going to buy an is350 and went to a Lexus drive event where they had an e90 330i and it convinced him to buy an 07 335i instead. ...

And all this bashing the f30 steering? I don't get it. Magazines make it sound like its terrible but its definitely not.

Sent from my XT907 using BimmerApp mobile app

#46 · (Edited)
This is why no one takes car and driver seriously .

How did the Lexus win? They said the same type of stuff when the first is350 came out which other mags have said actually have a more engaging drive. Not to mention the BMW destroyed it in almost every measure of performance

I've driven the old is350 and its got nothing on a BMW. I actually have a friend who was going to buy an is350 and went to a Lexus drive event where they had an e90 330i and it convinced him to buy an 07 335i instead. ...

And all this bashing the f30 steering? I don't get it. Magazines make it sound like its terrible but its definitely not.

Sent from my XT907 using BimmerApp mobile app
When the design is the deciding factor between the Toyota and the BMW, it shows that C&D is a joke. BMW supposedly lost by 2 points (one interior, one exterior) that cost it the top spot. Thats laughable, because thats purely subjective, and shouldn't be included, also rebates were judged?????

I like the look of the BMW, Cadillac then the Lexus in that order. Some might be inverse or all mixed up. Thats like saying the Cadillac is the best because its not white like the BMW and the Lexus, well thats up to the buyer. Overall the BMW is the better of the 3, if you take into account their skewed aesthetic appreciation - or lack there of, then give it to the Toyota.

#49 ·
Why does this thread highlight 0-60 times as if they are gospel?

Look at the quarter mile times, the 0-100 and 0-130mph times, quarter mile trap speeds, etc.

But for the love of God 0-60 is just about the worst measurement since it can be manipulated so easily (one foot roll-out, for example).

I'm impressed by the 0-100 and 0-130 numbers for the n55 engine in that comparison. It speaks to how HARD this engine pulls up top.

#50 ·
There is no question mags manipulate rating numbers to rank cars they wish to be ranked. But then it is not unlike how people shop for their cars. A lot of it are opinion based, not on hard facts.

Every car gets its turn, I am just surprised no one here accused the mags being bought out:). It isn't impossible, advertising dollars do get in the way.

But more likely than not, one good way to sell the mag is to generate publicity. Controversies, and breaking a trend, generate publicity. The bottom line is, the cars today are so close in their objective stats, it is easy to forget, all it really matters is one's subjective view.

Mags aren't different, they are written by humans.

#52 ·
I think the f30 is deserving of it's steering knocks. Perhaps fiddling with it enough would cure my prejudice, but a test drive of a sport line (with sport+ mode on) 328i led me to feel the steering was like a hyperactive dialed in computer game. I referred to it at the time as "go kart mode".

But this isn't the first time BMW messed up the 3-series steering. They did it, IIRC, in 2000 and public outcry led them to fix it.

You can have good steering with electric systems. Enough manufacturers have proven that now.

#54 ·
You can have good steering with electric systems. Enough manufacturers have proven that now.
But i've noticed reviews of the new 911, some reviews say it has great steering feel, others say it has none.

A coupe reviews of the M135i have said it has improved steering feel over the F30, hopefully that's true, it means BMW is working on the tuning.

#58 ·
Of all the car magazines in the U.S., IMO Car and Driver is the best one. Some people can get pretty defensive, but the fact is that the newer BMWs have lousy steering and handling. These are the things they need to improve.

#60 ·
BMW has purposefully evolved the 3 series into a bigger softer car with more appeal to new buyers who prize size over performance. BMW is smart enough to know the trade offs. My problem is BMW has jumped the shark to get on the green bandwagon. The whole efficient dynamics crap topped off with the ASS (perfect name for this BTW) is what drives decisions to go electric versus hydraulic on the steering front. Everybody is doing it I know. BMW is new at the green game and getting these fuel saving systems to work well takes years. Another example is the AH3 with its unsophisticated hand off between the gas and electric bits.

We are living in a CAFE world in which mainstream production cars will favor green over performance all the time. We are going to lose a lot of the things we have loved over the years like N/A V8s or even turbo V8s. These options will now be relegated to the exotics like AMG and M cars and will be terriblyexpensive. Thanks Obama.

Finally, it is clear that C/D has decided to rain on BMW's parade. No way the ATS is a better car than the 328. No friggin way. And now the Lexus IS350 is better than 335i. Again, no way, unless C/D wanted this outcome from the start and just rigged the numbers to get there. I think Lexus is making huge strides aside from styling but with that anemic 3.5L V6 under hood there is no GD way it is better than the 335i. Lexus is on my list for later when they get a proper engine in the GS350 F Sport and clean up the lines a bit, but until then, this is fantasy island if these cars are better than the 335i. Da plane, da plane!

#61 ·
The 8 speed only comes on the rear-drive IS350 F Sport, which nobody will buy. No 8 speed for the IS250 or the AWD IS250 or IS350. One more example of the test being rigged.

#62 ·
If you look at the points individually BMW wins. The only reason it "loses" is because of the completely subjective "fun to drive" category where they give the Lexus just enough points to overtake BMW. That is a category that is completely subjective as everyones definition is different. Comparing Ergonomics, fit and finish and performance can be quantified. They keep that final category so they can sway the vote the way they want.

At the end of the day it makes great points about all three cars but you need to actually review the individual category results to get a more quantifiable answer.

#63 ·
You gotta love the excuses and people bashing C & D. Nobody had a problem with C & D reviewes when the pervious generations of the 3 series were often NOT the fastest but still came in the first place. Perfect example: http://www.caranddriver.com/compari...ive-more-entry-luxury-sedans-comparison-tests. The 330i here was behind the IS350 in acceleration but still won. I bet nobody had a problem with C & D then :rofl:

#64 ·
A couple of my replies from the same topic on the other forum apply here:

Some seem to think that their E90's from years ago would step up to the latest competition and some how come out unscathed. I think that is a bit of a fantasy.

True, an '11 E90 335 might have had the slightly better steering feel, a bit less body roll, but then it would have faired worse in terms of interior comfort/accommodations and ride quality.

The competition is better. It's better than it was 5 years ago when the E90 was everyone's darling.

Also:

I have not driven the IS. It could out handle and out steer the f30, I mean people have been gunning for the 3 just as they softened it.

But the styling of the IS, ask 100 people and see the results. The ding for the 335 engine flexibility is also silly, might be more of a transmission thing.

So, I am no fanboi, I am fine with a particular car I drive not being chosen in a head to head. But fact is, SOME of the scoring in this test is downright wonky.

#65 ·
What seems obvious is that the F30 is an improvement over the E90 in many respects, and perhaps a better overall car, but somewhat of a step backward in several areas that are important to a lot of people.

CA

#66 ·
Pretty much.

I liken it to a recipe.

You have 20 ingredients on the counter. The F30 has more of some, and those ingredients are important to a lot of people as defining the flavor. But it has less of others.

The steering and body roll are the ingredients for me, that I wish were amped up a bit. Granted, they are being fixed by myself via parts selection, but magazines and 99.9% of buyers do not know or care to do such a thing.

#72 ·
Guys, please take this as constructive perplexity (like, you know, a honest WTF?!) and some constructive criticism - I'm not trolling.

Tile of the thread: "XYZ BMW does 0-60 in 4.6 sec !"

Car magazine scorecard for combined characteristics under "Chassis" (namely: performance, steering feel, brake feel, handling, ride) ... dead last.

Car magazine scorecard for "Fun to drive" ... dead last.

I would have expected to read about some yesteryear Camaro smoking everything in 0-60 and lacking in "Chassis" and "Fun to drive" (for crying out loud!) department. Not the BMW. Never. Especially the 3 series.

Yes, car magazines don't matter. Yes, car magazines are in business of selling copies, not doing car reviews and comparos. Yes, car magazines have an agenda. Yes, car magazines are farthest thing from being impartial and a source of good information about cars ... We done yet?

Good, then why in the world is the car magazine that was accused of being on BMW payroll more than any other AND whose staff drives 3 series more than any other car as a personal car ... why are they doing this then?

#74 · (Edited)
I think over time people will get used to the look of the new IS350 F sport, if not, Toyota apparently has a plan to speed up that process. Once people see this new 2014 4Runner all over the places, the IS350 F sport will look very modest in comparison:

Now notice I have not injected my personal opinion of the new styles, whether I like them or not is irrelevant. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.