BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

It's official now! 335i 8AT 0-60 tested as 4.6 seconds by CD

46K views 177 replies 50 participants last post by  JT///M3 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Nice! I think it's official now. This is the end of long lasting 328 vs 335 dogfight. WE finally have the test results from same source.

328 8AT 0-60 5.6 seconds
335 8AT 0-60 4.6 seconds

road and track 335i 0-60

One whole freaking second in this range is awesome! Considering MT rated 335 8AT as 4.7 seconds, I guess these numbers are very reliable. Sweet!!

Attachments

See less See more
#85 ·
The general trend is that BMW is losing it. I like BMWs and have been a BMWCCA member for 6 years, but the trend is worrisome. Drinking their coolaid is not worth it.

BMW will probably make more money by appealing to the masses. The ultimate driving machine it is not.

#114 ·
The general trend is that BMW is losing it. I like BMWs and have been a BMWCCA member for 6 years, but the trend is worrisome. Drinking their coolaid is not worth it.

BMW will probably make more money by appealing to the masses. The ultimate driving machine it is not.
So what car is the ultimate driving machine?
BTW who is your avatar?

#89 ·
The new IS350 F Sport has to be substantially more fun to drive than the F30 335i for me to accept the C&D report. I am not holding my breath it will happen, but then I am reminded my test drive of the ATS 3.6L, when it turned out noticeably more fun to drive than the F30, all other factors quickly became insignificant.

#90 ·
The new IS350 F Sport has to be substantially more fun to drive than the F30 335i for me to accept the C&D report.
Highly doubtful.

Autoguide's review, says the 335 is more athletic and more fun, but they liked it a lot.

http://www.autoguide.com/manufacturer/lexus/2014-lexus-is-review-video-2502.html

Sitting in a side-by-side-by-side comparison with a Mercedes C350 sedan, the rear-wheel drive IS 350 F Sport and a BMW 335i, the IS slots squarely in the middle.

Lexus outpaced the rather un-dynamic C-Class around the track with ease. Cornering is firm and steering stiff, although it isn***8217;t rambunctious like the 3 Series.

It doesn***8217;t compete with cars like the BMW 335i from a performance perspective, but the Lexus is still plenty fun to drive, has some dramatic road presence and is significantly more luxurious.

LOVE IT

F Sport package looks incredible
G force Artificial Intelligence works well
Eight-speed transmission from IS F available
LFA inspired gauges too cool

LEAVE IT

Same old engines
Less athletic than a 3 Series
No cooled seats on F Sport
No stick shift
The last IS-F was pretty impressive, make a new one with a manual, and well, I won't buy it, but at least I'd want one.

#91 ·
Even Car and Driver when they first drove it (and didn't have an agenda of sending a message to BMW), said it was not as fun as the previous gen. Ouch.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2014-lexus-is-sedan-prototype-drive-review

Driven back-to-back with the current IS, the 2014 proved to be the more stable of the two. It***8217;s likely that overall grip has increased, but some of the IS***8217;s playfulness and character have been sacrificed to the holy trinity of NVH. It***8217;s a small difference and one that likely can be chalked up to the heavier GS-based architecture***8212;the IS is up to 176 pounds heavier.

#92 · (Edited)
It was just a few months ago that C&D raved about the 335i as part of their Lightning Lap. Go figure. I remember the test driver saying it was everything you could hope for in a sports sedan. So much of this depends on individual preferences. The recent edition of Bimmer has an article on the 328 sport. Mike Miller likes it better than the E90 but another writer had a very negative review of the car excepting that it didn't have the "masochistic" ride of the E90. People have different expectations and experiences when it comes to driving cars. Hard to take these reviews as objective truth.

#94 ·
The problem is, those same manufactures also try to feed the notion that the best 0-60 time, or the highest HP, wins. They risk having people come to the driving events, realizing the best 0-60 time hardly means anything, when you are restricted by speed limits.

#160 ·
I'm kinda pissed at myself that I STILL haven't driven a Cayman or Cayman S, nor a 2005+ Boxster.

I drove a '99 boxster extensively and it left me lukewarm. It was never fun to drive, for me, unless it was being flogged into corners. It rode like crap (had Bilstein HDs on it though and 18" wheels on a car built for 16"), had tons of body flex, it's engine was decent but not totally intoxicating, it's clutch was a PITA in daily driving, and it's shifter was notchy.

From what I understand a 2005+ or more modern boxster cayman has amazing ride quality, tight chassis, beautiful rev happy and aurally pleasing engines, smooth clutches and buttery shifters.

Just typing this out makes me want to go test drive a Cayman for daily driving :)
Don't test drive a Cayman S or Boxster S unless you're prepared to sign on the bottom line. I drove the Boxster S and it is a really fun and super capable car.

#161 ·
Don't test drive a Cayman S or Boxster S unless you're prepared to sign on the bottom line. I drove the Boxster S and it is a really fun and super capable car.
I drove a new Cayman last week and is a terrific car.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#98 ·
As a relatively recent (2010) BMW convert who has thoroughly enjoyed his 2011 MY editions of a 335IS convertible and a standard setup X5, I am saddened by what they have done with the F30. The oldest BMW I've ever driven is a 2007 E90, which means I missed out on all that good stuff that people rave about, and there seems to be very little chance that sort of thing will ever return.

I recently had an F30 Luxury as a loaner. Ordinarily, I love driving loaner cars even if they are lower-end (a Mazda 5 mini-mini-van comes to mind - shockingly fun for what it was), as it means trying something new for a short while and putting miles on not my car. But after a few days of this F30, I was calling my SA and bugging him to give me my car back!

The steering is not just numb, there's something else about it that feels fake to the point of distraction. Body roll is, well, very un-BMW like ( I also had a Sport F30 as a loaner, ok but not great). Suspension feels unconfident, as do the brakes (which I suspect the tires contribute to, as I think CD alluded to).

I see BMW and Lexus like two lines on the fun-to-drive graph, one rising, one falling, and depending on who you ask, the lines have converged or are about to. What direction they will take now, who knows. I don't like Lexus (actually its Toyota I despise) but find myself considering the IS as my next car, 2 or 3 years in the future.

I hope the upcoming G37 replacement kicks both their butts. The first-year G35 I owned for 9 years was a sweet ride but then they too lost the plot.

#100 · (Edited)
Looks like the C/D 335 test car may be the same one Autoweek had for their recent review:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130429/CARREVIEWS/130429820

Ignore the photos accompanying the article as they are clearly not the car tested. The MSRPs of the C/D test car and the Autoweek test car are the same and the C/D photos seem to agree with the options that Autoweek lists at the end of their piece. Looking at that options list, I can't help but conclude that this particular test car is lightly and bizarrely optioned (auto high beams but zero other tech options?) and is missing DHP, which everyone here seems to agree makes the car.

Not trying to be a BMW apologist or make excuses, just noting that this particular test car doesn't represent the best of what the F30 can be.

My F30 335 M Sport order went in a few weeks ago, to replace my '11 335d which I absolutely love. Every time I get in the d I wonder if getting rid of it is the right move (2 years on and the torque is still intoxicating), but the F30 is just that much bigger than the E90 to make it a more practical car, especially in the backseat with my daughter's car seat.

#104 ·
So I'm going to be a bit contrarian here. I have only had notable seat time in an e30, e36, and e46 and some minor time spent driving 330i and 335i e90's....

I look at these cars as daily drivers first and foremost. I found the e36 loud and cramped and cheap interior - but very very connected to the road. The e46 was probably the best executed - smooth yet communicative. Stylish in it's time and aging well now. Still somewhat cramped but pretty well done.

I found the e90 naturally aspirated cars to be neither as superbly communicative (due to it's weight gain/smoothness perhaps) nor suitably spacious/luxurious to be a pleasant daily driver. The 335i fixed that by adding a hardcore dose of rip-snorting engine.

But for me, the f30 finally brings a 3-series into a preferred daily driver domain for me. It's spacious enough to actually do executive sedan duty without embarassment. It's much better executed in terms of pleasant to drive in the cabin and layout.

It's fairly close to the e90 in terms of removal from the road, exacerbated also by the steering. But while the e90 did not excel at either at either a backroad bomber (compared to, say, an e36) nor an everyday driver, I feel the f30 DOES excel at being an everyday driver while not giving up much as a backroad bomber compared to the f30.

Simultaneously, if you want a much worse daily driver but a much better backroad bomber....you've now got the 1-series, which you didn't have during the e36/e46 phase.

Just my take. There's alot of little things about the f30 that doesn't quite work for me, but I think it's really embodied the development of the 3-series over the years and the advent of the 1-series.

That being said, I am waiting for the m3 to come out to make a decision :)

#136 ·
The reason I lust after Porsches more than M3s is when I sit in an M3, it feels too much like my ordinary 3 series.

But now after hearing the sound of the V8, I'm instead lusting after a Jaguar F-Type 6 speed manual coupe. :yikes:

#140 ·
The reason I lust after Porsches more than M3s is when I sit in an M3, it feels too much like my ordinary 3 series.

But now after hearing the sound of the V8, I'm instead lusting after a Jaguar F-Type 6 speed manual coupe. :yikes:
When is the F-Type going to be available? I think Jag has the same hurdle to overcome like Range Rover, their past reliability records were a big drag.

#170 ·
Strange comparisson... The 335 has the best engine/trans/fuelconsuption/0-60 and looses in the "flexibility" question...?
It wins in almost all the "objective" tests but looses in the "subjective" tests... Come on, "Fun to drive" less than the other slower ones!!!?

#171 ·
I read the article today and notice the specs for trunk space are off and the points are awarded as such. Just the adjustment there would have points dispersed differently.

#174 ·
That's good news. I guess my '12 335i Xdrive with Dinan Stage 2 download, Dinan Stage 2 suspension and Dinan exhausr system, Enkei Race PF01 wheels with Bridgestone 255/35-18 Pole Positions
will do 0-60 in about 4.3 and it rides and handles just great and sounds great with ther Dinan exhaust system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.