Preview: BMW M5 World Record drift attempt

by Tim Jones on April 28, 2013, 11:06 am

On Saturday, May 11th, 2013, BMW Performance Driving Instructor Johan Schwartz will attempt to beat the Guinness Book of World Record for the world’s longest drift while driving one of the BMW Performance Center M5 school cars. His attempt will occur on the BMW skid pad, the same skid pad used to teach skid control at the BMW Performance Center. The M5 that Schwartz will drive is used to teach students how to control a skid and how to drive a car properly both in terms of performance and defensive driving.

Schwartz will try to best the current record of 11,180 meter, about 6.9 miles, set by Abdo Feghali in February. His goal is to beat the current recording with one that will stand for a long time. Drifting continuously for 40+ miles would more then quadruple the current record.

If you are interested in becoming a sponsor (proceeds go to the charity), please contact Johan Schwartz

Get updates about this event on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WorldRecordDrift
BMW-F10-M5-Revealed 1BMW-F10-M5-Revealed 2BMW-F10-M5-Revealed 3BMW-F10-M5-Revealed 4BMW-F10-M5-Revealed 5BMW-F10-M5-Revealed 6BMW-F10-M5-Revealed 7BMW-F10-M5-Revealed 8BMW-F10-M5-Revealed 9BMW-F10-M5-Revealed 10BMW-F10-M5-Revealed 11BMW-F10-M5-Revealed 12

Leave a Comment

You must be a registered member to comment on stories. Please take a moment to register for your free account now. If you already have an account, log in using fields below.

6 responses to Preview: BMW M5 World Record drift attempt

Karney5 commented:
April 28, 2013, 10:44 pm

Sick! I just hope they don't use a BMW with red leather.... makes it look tacky....
colin007 commented:
April 29, 2013, 1:27 pm

what a waste...tires, gas, wear and tear...whatever...
Karney5 commented:
April 29, 2013, 6:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post
what a waste...tires, gas, wear and tear...whatever...
So is driving..... you could just walk everywhere.... jackass.
colin007 commented:
April 29, 2013, 7:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo.karney View Post
You're right, I could. Maybe I'm just too old for this ****...
ProRail commented:
April 29, 2013, 7:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo.karney View Post
Driving is productive. the stuff shown here is counterproductive. BMWs are wonderful machines. They should be appreciated; not abused.
Dragan commented:
May 1, 2013, 11:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProRail View Post
Driving is productive. the stuff shown here is counterproductive. BMWs are wonderful machines. They should be appreciated; not abused.
I think it's the tires that will be going through the abuse, not the car itself. I think an ///M engine can easily take any abuse it will experience throughout.

It may be counterproductive in general but it's marketing for BMW. And we all know pretty well that BMW knows how to market their products.