Drag race: F30 3 Series 328d vs E30 M3

by Tim Jones on June 7, 2013, 3:30 pm

Auto Express pits the ultimate enthusiasts car, the E30 M3 against the ultimate fuel efficient car, the 320d, known as the 328d in the US. This is race of old vs. new and performance, in its day, vs economy.

Before watching figure out who you think is going to win and then post if you were right or wrong.

14 responses to Drag race: F30 3 Series 328d vs E30 M3

JoeFromPA commented:
June 7, 2013, 3:46 pm

I was wrong as I expected the upset but while watching I realized it's a problem a gearing (and I'm guessing the automatic 320d/328d would have won as well, since it appeared his shifting technique was questionable).

The diesel was off to a strong start but you can tell it's geared tall once up to cruising speeds for efficiency purposes. My guess is that gearing just ruined it as the m3 remains more tightly geared as speed increases to keep it in it's powerband sweet spot.
kkapdolee commented:
June 7, 2013, 3:56 pm

I was right
krash commented:
June 7, 2013, 4:10 pm

A 328 would have spanked it.
RedMargo1989 commented:
June 10, 2013, 1:31 pm

The e-30M3 of course!
jedbmw commented:
June 10, 2013, 2:06 pm

I was wrong!. I think it's all about the gearing at the faster levels.

But, the new 328i gas version would have it for dinner!
RedMargo1989 commented:
June 10, 2013, 2:21 pm

A win is awin....
LvdB commented:
June 10, 2013, 4:50 pm

I guessed wrong! Good thing I didn't put money on it
Really thought the diesel's torque would do the trick...

Agree on the 328i though.
Bratters123 commented:
June 10, 2013, 5:07 pm

They should repeated the run and swapped drivers. Diesel would have done it on the second run.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Supermax commented:
June 10, 2013, 7:37 pm

I expected it to be too close to call, and I was pretty much right It was so close that it could have maybe gone the other way if the drivers were switched.

But yeah, looks like a regular 328i would win with ease.
Bill Valley commented:
June 10, 2013, 11:51 pm

I was wrong. That M3 has classic good looks.
OBS3SSION commented:
June 11, 2013, 11:37 am

I expected the 320d to win, but it was darn close. But it just goes to show that today's mundane cars are just as, if not more powerful than supercars of just a few years ago.
Fast Bob commented:
June 13, 2013, 2:10 pm

Wow....7-point-6 zero-to-sixty, and a 16.0-second quarter-mile for the E30 M3....sometimes it`s better to leave memories alone.

Kinda reminds me of the video where the `67 Vette 427/435 HP (the King Kong of `60s muscle cars) gets whipped by a stock E39 540i-6.....
hotrod2448 commented:
July 4, 2013, 4:45 pm

I don't think anyone wins here. All they did was show BMWs iconic M car is just barely quicker than it's one of if not the slowest current production BMWs.

E30 M3 huh? I hear it's about as fast as an anemic economy biased 320d.

320d huh? Sure it gets good mileage but, it's not even as quick as a roughly 25 year old naturally aspirated 4 cylinder sports car.

rdkind62 commented:
July 4, 2013, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by lvdb View Post
i guessed wrong! Good thing i didn't put money on it
Really thought the diesel's torque would do the trick...

Agree on the 328i though.