BMW say no thanks to Apple's 'iOS in the Car'
In a surprising move BMW has passed on Apple's just announced "iOS in the Car" integration. iOS in the Car was unveiled as part of iOS7 which is slated for release this fall. The new feature allows an iPhone to display content on a vehicle screen. BMW, being a long time partner of Apple and having iDrive sceens in most new vehicles standard was a logical partner. However, BMW has choseen to focus on its own new technologies, which include the model year 2014 ConnectedDrive improvements.
|Due to the architectural changes necessary to bring iOS to the BMW dashboard, the company does not expect that BMW models will see iOS in the Car in the short to mid-term. Instead, the company will be sticking with its iDrive and ConnectedDrive interfaces.|
UPDATE: BMW has reached out to clarify its possition on integrating Apple's iOS in the Car. The company says it's in close contact with Apple and currently investigating the technical challenges required to integrate iOS in the Car, but since a final decision had not been made, it was not a part of Apple's announcement. Thus, according to BMW, integration of iOS in the Car in its cars has not been ruled out at all.
Car manufactures that are working on supporting iOS in the Car include:
Is BMW missing the boat on this one or will improvements to iDrive make up for it?
Recent BMW News
Latest Forum Discussions
- Help! Engine Sputters/ jerks please help
- Creaky steering issue?? Anyone else had?
- 2010 BMW 328i Ticking Noise?
- If you rotate summer and winter wheels and tires...
- ipod only playing in alphabetical order
- Please help. first post not sure if I am doing this right
- Wiring Diagram - steptronics
- What kind of "vehicle history" report is this?
- Why the hell is Regular gas 1.89 but PLUS 2.49???
- New Product Release & Black Friday Sale