4 Series Goes on Sale in October - European Delivery in November

by Mark Jurista on July 10, 2013, 11:35 am
4 Series Coupe Goes on Sale in October

We have now been able to confirm that the 2014 BMW 4 Series will officially go on sale in the United States during the first week of October - slightly later than many had speculated previously based on the start of production in July. Demand for the 4 Series is expected to be high and the later than expected on sale date is partially due to the US not getting cars until the second wave of production. As with BMW on sale dates, dealers may take delivery of cars slightly earlier if everything works perfectly so it is possible that cars will start arriving at local dealers at the end of September.

One other confirmed date is November 1st being the first day that European Deliveries will happen with the new model. European Delivery dates are typically conservative to account for any potential government delays with EPA or CARB approvals which could affect someone taking delivery of their US based car in Germany.

We have also gotten some unique insight into the differences between the F30 3 Series Sedan and the F32 4 Series Coupe including numerous highlights of the improved driving dynamics. Read our interview with the 4 Series Manger now.

Stay tuned to Bimmerfest.com for our in person driving impressions of the car later this month.

More 4 Series Coverage

See a Photo Comparison of the F30 3 Series Sedan versus the F32 4 Series Coupe

See a Photo Comparison of the E92 3 Series Coupe versus the F32 4 Series Coupe

MY 2014 4 Series Pricing, Changes, Ordering Guide

Official 4 Series Coupe (F32) Photo Gallery


Leave a Comment

You must be a registered member to comment on stories. Please take a moment to register for your free account now. If you already have an account, log in using fields below.










16 responses to 4 Series Goes on Sale in October - European Delivery in November

mntbiker commented:
July 10, 2013, 11:41 am

This is going to make the October 31st Ultimate Drive rebate deadline a bit tricky for some people. I wonder if this can be locked if the order is placed before Oct 31?
pix335i commented:
July 10, 2013, 11:46 am

That date will be for cars being sold to a customer so it shouldn't be a problem to use the rebate as long as you place your order well before hand. Dealers should be taking orders at this time.
tturedraider commented:
July 10, 2013, 12:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntbiker View Post
This is going to make the October 31st Ultimate Drive rebate deadline a bit tricky for some people. I wonder if this can be locked if the order is placed before Oct 31?
UDE incentive expiration is a hard date.
Lafinkel commented:
July 10, 2013, 6:32 pm

When does 2nd wave of production begin?
pix335i commented:
July 11, 2013, 10:25 am

Based on what we have been hearing from dealers with orders, it looks like they have August production slots which would be about right for cars arriving at the end of September / beginning of October.
Snareman commented:
July 11, 2013, 2:16 pm

My CA said he just got an email from the ED office and they said first available date is September 16th.
pix335i commented:
July 11, 2013, 2:20 pm

That does contradict official dates from BMW which came through the same office. I'd just make sure that your CA double checks that the date is really for an F32 but perhaps some new information has come to light that allowed them to move the date up slightly. It would be great news if the date really is being moved up!
Snareman commented:
July 11, 2013, 2:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pix335i View Post
That does contradict official dates from BMW which came through the same office. I'd just make sure that your CA double checks that the date is really for an F32 but perhaps some new information has come to light that allowed them to move the date up slightly. It would be great news if the date really is being moved up!
I'd told him that the info I was seeing was that earliest F32 ED was 11/1 and could he double check on it and make sure his initial dates of "late aug/early sept" was correct. Just got his email saying 9/16. I guess I'll know for sure when I put in the order and get an official date.
RichReg commented:
July 11, 2013, 5:54 pm

Dealers can put any model they feel like into the European Delivery program. If production does indeed begin in July and the model in question is being built somewhere in Germany, there's no reason why it couldn't be ready sometime in early September.

If the ED department is not allowing allocations 'til November, then the dealer would most likely be taking this car out of his own allocation...TEMPORARILY. Eventually, when the European Delivery department allows orders officially, the dealer will get back an allocation in return.
tim330i commented:
July 11, 2013, 6:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichReg View Post
Dealers can put any model they feel like into the European Delivery program. If production does indeed begin in July and the model in question is being built somewhere in Germany, there's no reason why it couldn't be ready sometime in early September.

If the ED department is not allowing allocations 'til November, then the dealer would most likely be taking this car out of his own allocation...TEMPORARILY. Eventually, when the European Delivery department allows orders officially, the dealer will get back an allocation in return.
This is not true. If BMW has to cleared US regulatory hurdles before they will open up ED dates. The date set is based on when they're positive the cars will be cleared for sale as they realize ED requires booking tickets, accommodations, etc. that can't be pushed off if they're not ready.

All EDs starting on 11/1 on will be out of dealer allocation until BMW NA has enough supply to change it.

Tim
RichReg commented:
July 11, 2013, 6:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
This is not true. If BMW has to cleared US regulatory hurdles before they will open up ED dates. The date set is based on when they're positive the cars will be cleared for sale as they realize ED requires booking tickets, accommodations, etc. that can't be pushed off if they're not ready.

All EDs starting on 11/1 on will be out of dealer allocation until BMW NA has enough supply to change it.

Tim
If there were hurdles to clear that far in the future...how is it that cars will be arriving @ dealers by the end of September?
Which would be at least 4 weeks after they had rolled off the assembly line.
tim330i commented:
July 11, 2013, 6:06 pm

There is no guarantee cars will be at dealers at the end of September. If the hurdles aren't cleared by the time the cars hit the US they'll be port held. BMW NA doesn't want to be in a position where unexpected delays ruin someone's ED trip, so they're pushed back the start of ED to a date they're 99.9% sure they can meet.

Tim
RichReg commented:
July 11, 2013, 6:33 pm

LOL, holding the car at the U.S. port won't affect your European vacation....you'll just be waiting a little longer to drive it again after drop-off.

Assuming there are earlier allocations available for this car, you're saying that BMW won't actually let a dealer put one of their OWN into the E.D. program until this 'issue' is solved. Interesting....so it would appear that Snareman's dealer is really banking on "everything works perfectly". Would like to hear what happens with his order...
tim330i commented:
July 11, 2013, 6:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichReg View Post
LOL, holding the car at the U.S. port won't affect your European vacation....you'll just be waiting a little longer to drive it again after drop-off.

Assuming there are earlier allocations available for this car, you're saying that BMW won't actually let a dealer put one of their OWN into the E.D. program until this 'issue' is solved. Interesting....so it would appear that Snareman's dealer is really banking on "everything works perfectly". Would like to hear what happens with his order...
This is not true. BMW will not sell a car to a US customer if the cars haven't passed the regulator hurdles. As they can't deliver a car to a US customer it would be really embarrassing if someone flew to Munich and couldn't get their car. Hence the later ED dates.

As I understand it they won't let US dealers get an ED date before 11/1.
pix335i commented:
July 11, 2013, 6:38 pm

Tim is just trying to say that there is a lot that goes into the process and that even though EPA / CARB is a United States issue - they can't even let someone take delivery of a car in Europe before they are approved by those two agencies. For a US delivery, they would just hold the car at the port until issues are cleared up. Obviously if you are planning on taking delivery on September 16th in Germany but it hasn't passed those two tests then you won't be picking up a car and it will ruin your vacation. That is why they are typically conservative. The only way I see them moving those dates is if they are supremely confident that the EPA / CARB issues will be taken care of in time.

I hope this is a moot point and they have moved up the dates because of some good news
Powaup commented:
July 14, 2013, 3:02 am

Wow such a late date no wonder so many people are ordering 4 series right now before even test driving this new model