BMW M3 / M4 Spy Photos and Lightweight Initiatives

by Mark Jurista on July 16, 2013, 9:25 am
BMW M4 Coupe

Now that we have seen the 4 Series in detail, the next domino (other than the convertible) to fall for the 3 / 4 Series line up is the M3 Sedan and M4 Coupe. We have a new set of photos of both cars taking laps on the Nürburgring but what is more interesting to us is a report that comes from TopGear who had a chance to get some more details from Matt Collins, product manager for BMW's small to medium cars.

Quote:
What it will ‘be' is of great interest - and potentially, a solid chunk of Good News for the driving gloves brigade."What we'd like is more focus on lightweight engineering," he says. "The philosophy will be around delivering performance through improved used of materials - lightweight alloys, lots of carbon fibre etc - rather than simply trying to make the engine more powerful to move the same kind of car, or scaling it back too far so that it loses its M3 roots.
BMW M3 Sedan

The above quote confirms what we had previously heard from Thomas Schemera (VP of Sales and Marketing for the BMW M Brand at BMW AG) back in an interview we did over a year ago and it should make everyone excited that the next generation of M cars will be shedding some of the weight that it has put on over the years.

BMW M3 Sedan

The Top Gear article also gets confirmation on our previously reported time table for the M3 / M4 arriving with the past showing 1.5 years between the 4 Series Coupe release and the M version. Given the official press release for the 4 Series was on June 14th, that puts the official press information near the end of 2014 with an introduction of a production model at Los Angeles in 2014 or Detroit in 2015.

BMW M4 Coupe

While this time line may be disappointing to those who wanted to place their order now - at least it does confirm some of the speculation that has been thrown about. The other good news is that we would certainly expect to see a concept version of the car to show up in between now and the production model which will do a lot to get everyone excited.
bmw-m3-bmw-m4-spy-shots 1bmw-m3-bmw-m4-spy-shots 2bmw-m3-bmw-m4-spy-shots 3bmw-m3-bmw-m4-spy-shots 4bmw-m3-bmw-m4-spy-shots 5bmw-m3-bmw-m4-spy-shots 6bmw-m3-bmw-m4-spy-shots 7bmw-m3-bmw-m4-spy-shots 8bmw-m3-bmw-m4-spy-shots 9bmw-m3-bmw-m4-spy-shots 10bmw-m3-bmw-m4-spy-shots 11bmw-m3-bmw-m4-spy-shots 12

Leave a Comment

You must be a registered member to comment on stories. Please take a moment to register for your free account now. If you already have an account, log in using fields below.

15 responses to BMW M3 / M4 Spy Photos and Lightweight Initiatives

JoeFromPA commented:
July 16, 2013, 9:50 am

I had read elsewhere that the m3 was going to be introduced this september.

Perhaps the m4 will be delayed until 6 months after that, but I think the m3 is going to be in production in the first half of 2014.

I will be thrilled if the m3 holds to a ~3500 pound vehicle weight.
EstorilF30 commented:
July 16, 2013, 10:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
I had read elsewhere that the m3 was going to be introduced this september.

Perhaps the m4 will be delayed until 6 months after that, but I think the m3 is going to be in production in the first half of 2014.

I will be thrilled if the m3 holds to a ~3500 pound vehicle weight.
I believe we are not expecting the M3/M4 until early 2014 at the earliest.

And I think weight savings are almost a guarantee, since even though it may have more torque with the forced induction 6 banger, the horsepower figure is rumored to be around the same as the S65.
pix335i commented:
July 16, 2013, 10:21 am

I'm not sure where you would read that information but I would not expect that to happen based on the past. The M3 Coupe and M3 Sedan both went on sale at the same time in the United States in the E9X generation and are expected to be the same this time around. This could change but it is rare that BMW goes "off schedule" with any of their product introductions. The first expected step with all of this is to see a Concept Car introduced - from there we can start speculating if their time table has changed. We haven't even heard whispers of a Concept Car being shown though and the earliest auto show is probably Frankfurt but sources say there won't be anything there either.
HokieXDriver commented:
July 16, 2013, 1:35 pm

But this is the first time the sedan and the coupe have different model designations. I'm not convinced they see a need to release the M3 and the M4 on the same calendar, but of course it's all just speculation.
Kayani_1 commented:
July 17, 2013, 2:35 pm

I am excited about the light weight. I hope BMW sticks to hydraulic steering setup and not go with the feel/feedback robbing EPS setup.
pix335i commented:
July 17, 2013, 2:39 pm

We fully expect to have a hydraulic steering set up on the M3 / M4 this generation. At the same time, I expect this to be the last generation that will utilize it. As with all technologies, EPS will continue to improve and get better.
Kayani_1 commented:
July 17, 2013, 3:04 pm

That is good news indeed thank god

I know that EPS will improve over time. But the way EPS is setup it will be very hard to over come its inherit flaws. The Porsche EPS is a lot better then the crappy setup in newer generation BMW's. Yet even then it is no match for the good Porsche hydraulic setups.

I think a good EPS setup is no where near as good as a decent hydraulic setup when it comes to feed back and feel. I think one can get away with a good EPS setup in a light weight front engine cars or mid/rear engine cars. As some of its flaws are a bit masked by not carrying as much weight on the front wheels.

I don't think EPS makes sense in high performance cars at all. Not until engineers are able to figure out how to recreate and then transfer what is happening in real time at the front wheels. All in a form that can provide more accurate feed back/feel with out a lag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pix335i View Post
We fully expect to have a hydraulic steering set up on the M3 / M4 this generation. At the same time, I expect this to be the last generation that will utilize it. As with all technologies, EPS will continue to improve and get better.
HokieXDriver commented:
July 17, 2013, 4:57 pm

I think if you read between the lines below, you can hear BMW M GmbH saying that the M3 will in fact have electric steering.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=835953
Kayani_1 commented:
July 17, 2013, 7:43 pm

If that happens it will be a huge disappointment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieXDriver View Post
I think if you read between the lines below, you can hear BMW M GmbH saying that the M3 will in fact have electric steering.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=835953
floydarogers commented:
July 17, 2013, 11:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
If that happens it will be a huge disappointment.
So go buy a Porsche. Oh, wait, they have EPS, too!
-=Hot|Ice=- commented:
July 18, 2013, 12:02 am

They're called lightweight because the brakes save you 44 pounds!
-=Hot|Ice=- commented:
July 18, 2013, 12:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
That is good news indeed thank god

I know that EPS will improve over time. But the way EPS is setup it will be very hard to over come its inherit flaws. The Porsche EPS is a lot better then the crappy setup in newer generation BMW's. Yet even then it is no match for the good Porsche hydraulic setups.

I think a good EPS setup is no where near as good as a decent hydraulic setup when it comes to feed back and feel. I think one can get away with a good EPS setup in a light weight front engine cars or mid/rear engine cars. As some of its flaws are a bit masked by not carrying as much weight on the front wheels.

I don't think EPS makes sense in high performance cars at all. Not until engineers are able to figure out how to recreate and then transfer what is happening in real time at the front wheels. All in a form that can provide more accurate feed back/feel with out a lag.
Go drive a Porsche. They've got the EPS tuning almost spot on. I mean it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
The difference is Porsche's EPS is pretty much bang on. It's ludicrous how they've managed to pull that off. If Porsche can do it, BMW can too. BMW won't though.
-=Hot|Ice=- commented:
July 18, 2013, 12:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pix335i View Post
The M5/M6 have HPS. I assume the M3/M4 will too.
Kayani_1 commented:
July 18, 2013, 1:41 am

There are still few E92 M3's available.....

This whole move to EPS is making me

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Kayani_1 commented:
July 18, 2013, 1:48 am

LOL.......yeah that is it

I think the EPS setup developed by Porsche is good but it is still not as good as their out going hydraulic setups.

I think Porsche has a better setup/software. Then they also have an inherent advantage in their favor regardless of EPS or Hydraulic steering setups. Because the Porsche cars do not carry as much weight over the front tires. The rear engine/mid-engine setup works well for them in keeping excessive weight off the front tires thus providing a more immediate response to steering inputs and better clarity of what is happening at the contact patch. Thus, imparting the feeling of greater confidence in driver as he feels more connected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
They're called lightweight because the brakes save you 44 pounds!