BMW i3 US Pricing Announced at $41,350

by Bimmerfest.com Member - abhik on July 22, 2013, 4:34 am
BMW i3 Concept

US Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price just $41,350

The Ultimate Driving Machine® in a new era of sustainability

Woodcliff Lake, NJ – 3:00 am EDT/12:00 am PDT July 22, 2013…. BMW today announced pricing for the ground-breaking BMW i3 electric vehicle. The Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (without Destination & Handling) in the US will be $41,350, before any federal or state incentives. The Destination & Handling fee in the US is currently $925.

"The BMW i3 heralds the dawn of a new era for individual mobility and for the BMW Group. True to a genuine BMW, the BMW i3 has strong emotional appeal, outstanding product substance and a guarantee of sheer driving pleasure," said Ian Robertson, Member of the Board of Management, Sales and Marketing BMW. "With this leading-edge vehicle and attractive price, we will provide customers with a compelling offer for electromobility."

The BMW i3's 170 horsepower and 184 lb-ft of torque hybrid-synchronous electric motor, developed and produced by BMW, is electrified by a 22-kWh lithium-ion battery, good for 80-100 miles of emission-free driving. Designed from the ground up to be an electric car, the BMW i3 uses the Industry's first mass produced carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP) passenger cell mounted on an aluminum chassis.

The BMW i3 will offer interior space comparable to the legendary BMW 3 Series on a shorter overall body. Its 32.3-foot turning circle and a relatively long wheelbase make it agile and engaging to drive, yet ideally suited to driving in dense urban areas.

Quick and convenient charging is possible either with the home charging station supplied by BMW i or at any public charging station that uses a Level 2 SAE J1772 charging system. DC fast charging, using the SAE DC Combo-Fast Charger, will be available as an option. From a public fast-charging station, it will provide an 80 percent charge from a fully depleted battery in just 20 minutes.

BMW i's commitment to sustainable urban mobility encompasses the i3 production facilities, where hydro-electric, wind and solar power are used to power the CFRP production facilities in Moses Lake, Washington and the Leipzig, Germany assembly line. Sustainable materials are also used for the BMW i3 interior upholstery and trim.
The BMW i3 will make its world debut at three simultaneous events in New York, London and Beijing on Monday, July 29. It will arrive in US showrooms in the second quarter of 2014.


Leave a Comment

You must be a registered member to comment on stories. Please take a moment to register for your free account now. If you already have an account, log in using fields below.










22 responses to BMW i3 US Pricing Announced at $41,350

Andrew*Debbie commented:
July 22, 2013, 8:32 am

£25,680 On the Road in the UK.


OTR price includes all taxes and Plug In Car Grant.





https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/press...tem=node__2201
rmjames007 commented:
July 22, 2013, 2:04 pm

I cant wait. I hope our federal and state taxes can bring this to a better price point
mrbelk commented:
July 22, 2013, 2:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmjames007 View Post
I cant wait. I hope our federal and state taxes can bring this to a better price point
Why wouldn't it? Volt gets a $7500 fed tax credit and here in GA I think it gets another $2500 state tax credit.

-MrB
rmjames007 commented:
July 22, 2013, 3:48 pm

I am in NC were we don't get anything.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using BimmerApp mobile app
sirbikes commented:
July 22, 2013, 10:09 pm

That's right NC DOT wants its gas tax money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmjames007 View Post
I am in NC were we don't get anything.
Elias commented:
July 29, 2013, 6:11 pm

There is no way I'm buying a first year i3, BMW needs to work out the bugs before I decide to buy anything electric. States are Taxing Electric and Hybrid owners and I can see that going up in the future as gas tax revenues begin to slide downward.
dima123 commented:
July 29, 2013, 7:44 pm

Will they lease these i3?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Andrew*Debbie commented:
July 30, 2013, 3:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dima123 View Post
Will they lease these i3?

I don't see why not. BMW already announced UK personal lease payments.
tim330i commented:
July 30, 2013, 12:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dima123 View Post
Will they lease these i3?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Yes. Lease details will come out in the fall.

Tim
pharding commented:
August 10, 2013, 9:07 am

At the BMW Welt in Munich on August 9, 2011, I was told that to date in Europe BMW had orders for over 200,000 units far outstripping their manufacturing capacity of 30,000 units. Demand far exceeded their wildest hopes.
Andrew*Debbie commented:
August 11, 2013, 2:15 am

200,000 firm orders in Europe would be amazing.

The Nissan-Renault alliance sell more EVs than any other manufacturer in the world. They sell more EVs than all the other car makers combined. They delivered their 100,000th electric car last month. Nissan sell about 12,000 Leafs a year in Europe. Renault sells slightly more EVs than Nissan in Europe but only if you include Twizy.


200,000 is far more cars than BMW sells world wide in a month. If their capacity is 30,000 units a year, the i3 backlog would take ages to fill.




Source:

http://www.media.blog.alliance-renau...-emission-car/
pharding commented:
August 12, 2013, 7:16 pm

There is a big push by BMW NA to educate service and sales staff on the i3. My wife drives 5000 miles a year. The cost of electricity is approximately a $1.80 per week. Too bad in April we bought a2014 X3 for her. She is a great candidate for the i3. It would save us $1,300 a year in fuel costs.
EC7 commented:
September 18, 2013, 6:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
Yes. Lease details will come out in the fall.

Tim
At the price range of 42K, I hope the monthly lease payments will be in the range of $400 - $450 per month (or even lower).

if the lease offers are attractive, then this might be worth considering over a traditional BMW.
ultraturtle commented:
September 21, 2013, 2:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbelk View Post
...Volt gets a $7500 fed tax credit and here in GA I think it gets another $2500 state tax credit.

-MrB
Georgia tax credit is actually $5,000, bringing the net cost down to $29,775.

Unfortunately, like the Volt, the REx version is eligible only for the federal, not the Georgia State tax credit. Georgia disqualifies any vehicle with a gasoline engine onboard.

Factor in about $10,000 in fuel saving over the course of 100,000 miles and it becomes a difficult bargain to pass up.

I'm getting one.
EC7 commented:
December 3, 2013, 5:21 pm

Regarding the Federal and State incentives, please confirm if I am understanding this correctly:

Federal Tax Credit - since this incentive comes in the form of a Tax Credit, then it will be used to offset any tax you owe (supposing you end up owing any) when you file for taxes the following year. In other words, if you are eligible for a tax refund, the the tax credit is basically useless. In this case, if a buyer wants to fully utilize the $7,500 tax credit, the buyer will need to set himself up to owe taxes by the end of the year.

Clean Vehicle Rebate Project (California) - this incentive is a rebate. So all you have to do is apply for it.
mrbelk commented:
December 3, 2013, 5:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EC7 View Post
Regarding the Federal and State incentives, please confirm if I am understanding this correctly:

Federal Tax Credit - since this incentive comes in the form of a Tax Credit, then it will be used to offset any tax you owe (supposing you end up owing any) when you file for taxes the following year. In other words, if you are eligible for a tax refund, the the tax credit is basically useless. In this case, if a buyer wants to fully utilize the $7,500 tax credit, the buyer will need to set himself up to owe taxes by the end of the year.

Clean Vehicle Rebate Project (California) - this incentive is a rebate. So all you have to do is apply for it.
I could be wrong here, but I don't think so...

Most everyone (certainly most BMW owners, I would think) come out owing _something_ come tax time; but they apply what they've already paid in over the course of the year to what they owe to determine their final tax liability (whether they owe more or are due a refund). It might be that the PEV tax credit can only get you down to owing zero tax before applying any withholding, but if it's a "refundable" tax credit, then you can actually wind up with negative taxes owed (before you apply any payments made via employer withholding or whatever). Anyway, tax credits are usually applied _before_ considering what you've already paid through quarterly payments or employer withholding.

-MrB
EC7 commented:
December 3, 2013, 7:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbelk View Post
I could be wrong here, but I don't think so...
Anyway, tax credits are usually applied _before_ considering what you've already paid through quarterly payments or employer withholding.
That makes sense. That way you get a good chance of fully utilizing the 7,500 tax credit.

So let's consider this example. Say you owe 6,000 in tax after all deductions, without considering the withholding tax.

Tax Due - $6,000
Tax Credit - ($6,000) ==> only 6k is used out of the $7.5K 'to bring down to zero'.
Withheld tax - 5,000 ==> this is the refund.



Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbelk View Post
Most everyone (certainly most BMW owners, I would think) come out owing _something_ come tax time;
Now I'm curious. Do you mind explaining why most BMW owners (above average income households) would owe tax? Is there an advantage over getting a refund? the only thing i can think of is better cash flow.

mrbelk commented:
December 4, 2013, 10:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by EC7 View Post
That makes sense. That way you get a good chance of fully utilizing the 7,500 tax credit.

So let's consider this example. Say you owe 6,000 in tax after all deductions, without considering the withholding tax.

Tax Due - $6,000
Tax Credit - ($6,000) ==> only 6k is used out of the $7.5K 'to bring down to zero'.
Withheld tax - 5,000 ==> this is the refund.





Now I'm curious. Do you mind explaining why most BMW owners (above average income households) would owe tax? Is there an advantage over getting a refund? the only thing i can think of is better cash flow.

Don't confuse having to pay extra with "owing" to begin with. I would think that most everybody on this board will have some sort of tax liability _before_ applying any withholdings. Now, the "smart" play is to try to jigger your withholdings and other tax payments so that when tax day comes, you come out owing or being owed a minimal amount. There is no advantage to a big refund (because it's really just an interest free loan to the government); but if you habitually "underfund" with your withholdings you could get slapped with a penalty or be forced to pay more during the year. This is not usually a problem for W2 earners, but can be a problem for 1099-types or self-employed people who pay their own quarterly withholdings.

-MrB
EC7 commented:
December 6, 2013, 3:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbelk View Post
Don't confuse having to pay extra with "owing" to begin with. I would think that most everybody on this board will have some sort of tax liability _before_ applying any withholdings. Now, the "smart" play is to try to jigger your withholdings and other tax payments so that when tax day comes, you come out owing or being owed a minimal amount. There is no advantage to a big refund (because it's really just an interest free loan to the government); but if you habitually "underfund" with your withholdings you could get slapped with a penalty or be forced to pay more during the year. This is not usually a problem for W2 earners, but can be a problem for 1099-types or self-employed people who pay their own quarterly withholdings.

-MrB
Now I get it. Makes sense now on the Tax Liability.

Back on the $7,500 Federal tax credit, so in order to take full advantage, one should incur a minimum tax liability of $7,500.
kidrock commented:
December 14, 2013, 12:45 pm

Perfect car for NYC ~40mph traffic. Cant wait for the lease figures !
knbcpab commented:
December 27, 2013, 8:44 pm

Just got off the phone with my GSM friend in So Cal. Been excited about leasing the new i3. But he told me Quote: "They won't be doing leases. Will be available on a ballon purchases which give you ownership with a buy out at the end. BMW is doing this for tax purposes? Can someone confirm or explain what this means?
zibawala commented:
December 27, 2013, 8:57 pm

To heck with BMW and I3 they can shove those.
There are enough other options to lease;(