2014 BMW M235i to Get LSD - Faster than 1 Series M Coupe

by Mark Jurista on July 23, 2013, 11:43 am
M235i Gets LSD and Faster than 1 Series M Coupe

According to a report from AutoExpress, there is some exciting news about the upcoming M235i that will probably get you even more excited about this upcoming model.

Quote:
"I have just signed off the M235i's M Sport performance kit, which will include a proper limited slip differential. I'm just working out whether to make this an option on all models.

The M235i is as close a spiritual successor to the 2002ti that we've had. My initial benchmark was that it will be faster than the BMW 1M Coupe around the Nurburgring, which it is.

The 4 Series body is stiffer than the 3 Series', and the 2 Series is the same over the 1 Series. The handling of the 1M was too snappy, but the 2 Series has a longer wheelbase and the proportions are better. However, we did take the 18-inch wheels and special Michelin tyres from the 1M for the M235i, as they offer better performance than the 19-inch versions."
This sounds like an exciting car given what we are hearing and the fact that it will be a smaller alternative to the growing 4 Series. The new 2 Series is marked for starting production in November of this year with the car going on sale around March 2014. The 2 Series will be offered in the M235i trim above as well as a base model 228i.

Who can't wait to find out more about the M235i? I know I am excited.

Read more about the all new 2014 F22 BMW 2 Series coupe
BMW-M235i-Revealed 1BMW-M235i-Revealed 2BMW-M235i-Revealed 3BMW-M235i-Revealed 4BMW-M235i-Revealed 5BMW-M235i-Revealed 6


Leave a Comment

You must be a registered member to comment on stories. Please take a moment to register for your free account now. If you already have an account, log in using fields below.










15 responses to 2014 BMW M235i to Get LSD - Faster than 1 Series M Coupe

soldier-ina-6er commented:
July 23, 2013, 5:45 pm

any chance of a real 2m?
bmw325 commented:
July 23, 2013, 5:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldier-ina-6er View Post
any chance of a real 2m?
Everything I've heard so far points to there being a 2m eventually. Like most M models, expect it to follow a year later though.
Mark K commented:
July 23, 2013, 6:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pix335i View Post

Who can't wait to find out more about the M235i? I know I am excited.
I am. BMW not effing up 2 series means another ED for me. Used 987 or new BRZ can't be had with ED. Truly not interested in any other model right now. OK, 6GC I just drove this weekend is truly pure car porn, but I'm looking for something that moves 800 lb less.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
pix335i commented:
July 23, 2013, 6:48 pm

I wouldn't put it past them to eventually come out with an M2 but my thoughts are that they will see what sales are like in general for the 2 Series first. It won't be too long until we start seeing some official photos of the M235i or at least some test cars with less camo on them. Worst case it sounds like we will get a look near the Frankfurt Auto Show that is in the beginning of September.
soldier-ina-6er commented:
July 24, 2013, 1:07 pm

I worry an m2 would be too close in performance to an m3. Even at a hundred horsepower down the car would be light enough to have similar performance which would pull buyers away from the m3/m4 :/. I hope they figure something out because I'd love to see a 2series in an m badge.
bmw325 commented:
July 25, 2013, 8:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldier-ina-6er View Post
I worry an m2 would be too close in performance to an m3. Even at a hundred horsepower down the car would be light enough to have similar performance which would pull buyers away from the m3/m4 :/. I hope they figure something out because I'd love to see a 2series in an m badge.
True but it didn't stop them from producing the 1m...
NOTORIOUSe60 commented:
July 26, 2013, 3:25 pm

This is good but also total BS! There has been a rule for BMW for decades now that the only models with a LSD are the true M models, not this M package thing. The whole point was that in order to truly track you car you needed an M. Now people like me with non-M cars (2008 550i Sport) which has an open rear diff (which kills me but I'm ok with it because I didn't pony up for the M5 are just marginalized... BMW to consumer: "sorry anyone who bought a non-M bwm for the last 20 years, sorry we said you didn't deserve a LSD since you didn't buy an M, but now we're going to make it an option for anyone going forward... Ugh
Mick22 commented:
July 27, 2013, 4:24 pm

Very anxious to see the new 2- Series.... I think it has the potential to be a great car, perhaps the best driving BMW under 60K
f30jojo commented:
July 27, 2013, 4:50 pm

Sounds to me like the new 2 series is what the 3 should have been... But they may build a 235is, or a 2M coupe. I doubt BMW would badge it M2. Imo they'll keep M only models the 3 and 5.

Sent from my LT18i using BimmerApp mobile app
Shades commented:
July 27, 2013, 6:45 pm

I sure hope you are wrong because we need another lightweight M car that still has the size of the E46 M3.
There were a bunch of E46 M3 owners,including myself,who didn't buy the E92 M3 because it was to heavy.
DDGator commented:
September 25, 2013, 12:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30jojo View Post
Sounds to me like the new 2 series is what the 3 should have been... But they may build a 235is, or a 2M coupe. I doubt BMW would badge it M2. Imo they'll keep M only models the 3 and 5.

Sent from my LT18i using BimmerApp mobile app
What about the M6?

Seems like the only reason they did a 1M was to avoid confusion with the historic M1 BMW?

Chris90 commented:
October 6, 2013, 8:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUSe60 View Post
This is good but also total BS! There has been a rule for BMW for decades now that the only models with a LSD are the true M models, not this M package thing. The whole point was that in order to truly track you car you needed an M. Now people like me with non-M cars (2008 550i Sport) which has an open rear diff (which kills me but I'm ok with it because I didn't pony up for the M5 are just marginalized... BMW to consumer: "sorry anyone who bought a non-M bwm for the last 20 years, sorry we said you didn't deserve a LSD since you didn't buy an M, but now we're going to make it an option for anyone going forward... Ugh
I think BMW was forced to this by the competition, Audi, Infiniti, Cadillac etc. BMW didn't want to have the only sports sedan without an optional LSD.
rich8566 commented:
October 12, 2013, 5:35 pm

I have a reservation order in for an M235i.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
tim330i commented:
October 24, 2013, 6:15 pm

The details we've all been waiting for are HERE! We have the official details from BMW about the 2014 F22 2 Series Coupe -

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=731333

Tim
need4speed commented:
October 25, 2013, 9:18 am

It is nice to see BMW putting some new driving enhancement options out there. It seem like it has been all tech and mpg for way too long now, N4S